Prediction: Trudeau wins a majority this Fall

23 minutes ago, dialamah said:

So I do not particularly like JT either, but I prefer liberal policies over conservative policies.  Do I vote against Liberals because I don't like JT, even though overall I prefer their policies over conservatives?

Vote however you want, that's how democracy works.

25 minutes ago, dialamah said:

So this and other statements I've seen by the anti-Trudeau brigade suggest that JT is "destroying" the country, yet there is no evidence of that. 

Nowhere did I say our country is being destroyed..but I do think his policies and positions, particularly on our resource sector, have done deep and sustained damage to our economy that will take decades to repair.  It may not be obvious right now, but it will become painfully obvious in the future.  We've hobbled ourselves with tanker bans,anti pipeline policies, and new laws and bills that will affect more than just the oil and gas sector, causing major self-inflicted damage to all areas of our resource development in a competitive international resource economy.  His policies have fueled resentment in Canadians against each other, and created regional divisions in this country in a way I haven't seen in my lifetime..worse I think than his father (and I'm old enough to remember.)  I've voted Liberal in the past, I've voted Conservative in the past, peg me as a partisan if you feel like, it doesn't matter to me but you have no idea who I am. 

You're right about one thing though, a leader is not bigger than his party, but Trudeau seems to think he is.  There was a time when a leader would not have survived the scandals and corrupt behaviour that Trudeau has survived, the party simply wouldn't allow such brand damage.  I'm not sure what that says about the current Liberal party, that it seems there are only 2 MP's who have enough moral integrity to do the right thing and stand up to this bully.  I'm not sure what that says about Canadians who would be willing to support such a leader...or such a party.

I personally could not bring myself cannot vote for a party with a leader as vacuous and hollow as Trudeau in 2015, and my resolve has only focused and intensified in 4 years.  I believe anyone with any sense of moral integrity would come to the same conclusion.  I certainly did not see eye to eye with Jody Wilson on many of her positions, however on this particular one, we agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dialamah said:

So I do not particularly like JT either, but I prefer liberal policies over conservative policies.  Do I vote against Liberals because I don't like JT, even though overall I prefer their policies over conservatives?

In any case, I'm probably going to vote Green this time around.  I'm hoping for a minority government, either Liberal or Conservative, doesn't much matter to me.

So this and other statements I've seen by the anti-Trudeau brigade suggest that JT is "destroying" the country, yet there is no evidence of that.  We have problems, sure, but most people's lives have changed very little under JT and some people have even seen an improvement.  We're still among the safest countries in which to live, and most of us have luxuries beyond imagination for 3/4 of the world.  The same would no doubt be true if Harper had been re-elected, of if Scheer gets elected this time.

The threat of DOOM due to JT/liberals is vague, and even when asked for particulars, the doomsayers can rarely point to anything specific, merely regurgitating fears about deficits and refugees/immigrants.  Both conservative governments and liberal governments run deficits and accept refugees/immigrants, so it's hard to see how it's so much more destructive under Liberals.

Also, good on you for caring about corruption in politics.  I do agree with you that people should care more.  I don't agree that either the Liberals or Conservatives are either better or worse in that regard.

If you care for the Green movement at all then I'd skip voting for them while May is their leader. They'll be way better off once they ditched her.

Re: Trudeau, his anti-democracy ways are front and center. 1) He openly admires China's government's ability to just plow ahead and do whatever they want. 2) He openly stated that the policy of his Liberal Party is that Liberal MPs are not allowed to vote in a manner that represents the will of their constituents - they have to vote the way they are told to vote. If they feel like they need to vote against abortion then they aren't allowed in.

His scandals aren't small, or maybe just conspiracy theories like Russian collusion or storm-mongering in the US, or "who paid back the $90K". They're huge and blatant. He was caught red-handed trying to use influence that's well outside of his authority as PM in order to protect a company that's been caught bribing other politicians ($2M for a single bridge contract. How much would they bribe someone for ten year's worth of bidding on federal contracts? Trudeau put $150B worth of infrastructure spending on the table. What's a chunk of that worth to SNC?) When he was caught he tried to bully and intimidate Raybould, even kicked her out of the caucus. She's still not allowed to speak. Were any witnesses against Trump or Harper forbidden to speak? 

And that's just one of his 5 ethics breaches. He's been found guilty twice.

He gave the CBC $795M right after the 2015 election, and CBC gave him 3 years worth of Harper-bashing before the election to earn it. Now he's spending $600,000,000.00 more of our tax dollars to buy off more media for the next election. 

If Trump gave $1.4B to Fox the CBC would go apoplectic, and so would you. You know that what Trudeau did was a scandal, you just don't want to admit it and the media certainly isn't going to complain..

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

The dimwit PM's scandals, groping, law breaking, and lying have become acceptable.  The Trudeau appointed RCMP Commissioner sits on her fat arse and does nothing.  Sunny ways . . .  

See our situation as a pendulum. It swung hardcore left, which means the weight will come back even faster and further right than it has been going left during Trudeau years. Laws of physics sometimes apply to politics.

2 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

See our situation as a pendulum. It swung hardcore left, which means the weight will come back even faster and further right than it has been going left during Trudeau years. Laws of physics sometimes apply to politics.

If Trudeau wins a minority and governs with the help of the NDP they'll be moving even further to the Left. That ought to leave the way clear for a very conservative government, if the Conservative party can get rid of Scheer and elect a strong conservative leader.

13 hours ago, jacee said:

:wacko: 

The other goofs are destroying the country, and the planet.

Liberal and Conservative politicians only look 4 years ahead because that's all we hold them accountable for.

Here's a novel idea: Let's look farther ahead and vote for the future. 

I support green initiatives than also make economic sense.  I am not for undermining Canada's economy to drastically reduce GHG emmissions though, since Canada is only responsible for about 1.5% of global CO2 emissions.  We could cut our emissions by a third, which would take drastic actions, and barely make a dent in global emissions, which is why we need to follow the lead of the US, for better or worse.  There's no point in throttling our economy if our trading partner who produces an insane amount of GHG is doing next to nothing.

The Green Party also is for universal pharmacare and dental care and free post-secondary tuition  So they want taxpayers to pay for rich people's drugs and dental and university costs too it seems.  This is going to cost a gazillion dollars, where's the costed platform?  In 2015 they were criticized for costing estimates for these ideas that weren't realistic.

Also turns out the Greens have a Quebec candidate who is publicly in favour of Quebec separation, and May thinks that's ok:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5885811/green-party-pierre-nantel-quebec-independence/

A prominent federal Green party candidate told an internet radio show Tuesday he wants Quebec to separate from Canada as soon as possible.

Pierre Nantel, who won his riding south of Montreal for the NDP in 2011 and in 2015, said if a Quebec independence referendum were held, he would vote yes.

The NDP expelled him in August after they learned he was courting at least one other party.
The Green party said in an emailed statement that the party does not exclude candidates who support Quebec sovereignty.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I support green initiatives than also make economic sense.  I am not for undermining Canada's economy to drastically reduce GHG emmissions though, since Canada is only responsible for about 1.5% of global CO2 emissions.  We could cut our emissions by a third, which would take drastic actions, and barely make a dent in global emissions, which is why we need to follow the lead of the US, for better or worse.  There's no point in throttling our economy if our trading partner who produces an insane amount of GHG is doing next to nothing.

Guess again....

The U.S. has reduced GHG emissions better/more than Canada, mostly because of the natural gas boom from fracking.

No matter what the polls say one way or the other, I will get my ass out and cast my vote. I think Trudeau will still get a majority, the NDP might spiral into the toilet with many of their supporters going Green. Watch the mainstream media go into full attack mode against the Conservatives... on second thought, that's pretty much a constant thing anyway.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:46 AM, Spiderfish said:

There was a time when a leader would not have survived the scandals and corrupt behaviour that Trudeau has survived, the party simply wouldn't allow such brand damage.

You are forgetting the Government of Lester Pearson. 5 separate scandals going on at once. Among them, the Spenser affair, the furniture bibery scandals (3 Cabinet Ministers involved), the Parliamentary Secretary to the PM offering a bribe to the Lawyer representing the US Governmnet to not oppose bail to mafia hit man Lucien Rivard. The grits went on to win the next election.

On 9/4/2019 at 11:31 AM, QuebecOverCanada said:

And I'm very far from a Liberal, but let's face it, Trudeau is going to win comfortably this October.

The economy is doing very good. Deficits do not matter in the eye of the electorate, it has no significant immediate impact on the people, so it won't matter that Trudeau created a huge deficit.

The media has been bought out by the Liberals in the past 4 years, and won't bite the hand that feeds. No scrutiny against him, it had to be a female cabinet Minister to come out against the criminal in charge of the country.

The mistakes and gaffes from the PM do not matter as much to a large number of voters than his looks and how young and dynamic he is. 

Trudeau imported a large voter base through legal and illegal ways. The major cities will be dark red come election time.

Andrew Scheer is a shill and has the charisma of an oyster. No one trusts him even in his own camp. He cheated his way to the Conservative's nomination just like the Clintons did in 2016 for the DNC.

Jagmeet Singh has dragged the NDP to its lowest support since Jack died 8 years ago. It will help the Leftist vote to be more concentrated for Trudeau.

Trudeau is also first in Québec and Ontario and the Eastern provinces.

Sad to say I agree with you, the Liberals will likely get in once more, but I hope that this time it will be a minority government, then we will see how our PM does 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Disallusioned Canuck said:

Sad to say I agree with you, the Liberals will likely get in once more, but I hope that this time it will be a minority government, then we will see how our PM does 

A minority government would mean the NDP and Liberals trying to outlefty each other, bigger deficits and more identity politics, hiring quotas and preferential grants and programs.

7 hours ago, Disallusioned Canuck said:

Pretty sad when Toronto 905 area and Quebec determine the outcome of a Federal election. The parties cater to these two areas of influence. The remainder of the country is treated as an afterthought. 

Afterthought?  Greater Toronto and Quebec are openly hostile to the rest of the country.

18 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Are the greens that desperate to have a say in parliament that they would join a coalition with the lying, deceiving, above the law liberals turds.... 

You speak the propaganda of the powerful and the Party, not in the interests of the people. The interests of Canadians are best served by intelligent  collaboration among all of those we elected to parliament. 

minority government is a democratic parliament instead of an autocratic, one-man majority parliament, arguably a dictatorship, as we've seen with the SNC-corrupted Liberals and previously with the Oil-corrupted Harper Conservatives. 

In the coming minority government, the Greens will hold the balance of power and influence on legislation proposed, amendments, and passage through the legislature. There is no guarantee they will prop up a Liberal or Conservative minority ... unless the minority government's legislation is consistent with Green policies and/or deemed to be in the best interests of the majority of Canadians.

That's real democracy, where all parties can influence legislation, where the governing Party is actually held accountable to the votes of all Canadians. 

Edited by jacee

7 hours ago, jacee said:

You speak the propaganda of the powerful and the Party, not in the interests of the people. The interests of Canadians are best served by intelligent  collaboration among all of those we elected to parliament. 

minority government is a democratic parliament instead of an autocratic, one-man majority parliament, arguably a dictatorship, as we've seen with the SNC-corrupted Liberals and previously with the Oil-corrupted Harper Conservatives. 

In the coming minority government, the Greens will hold the balance of power and influence on legislation proposed, amendments, and passage through the legislature. There is no guarantee they will prop up a Liberal or Conservative minority ... unless the minority government's legislation is consistent with Green policies and/or deemed to be in the best interests of the majority of Canadians.

That's real democracy, where all parties can influence legislation, where the governing Party is actually held accountable to the votes of all Canadians. 

In order for their to be a power sharing between two parties their must be comprise, liberals give the greens their way for some things and so does the greens....sharing power with the liberals means the greens will be complicit in any more liberal scandals....Why get in bed with a bunch of thieving, lying , I am above the law, Say it loud enough and often enough they will believe anything,  shit heads....Is the green that desperate to be heard... 

12 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Why get in bed with a bunch of thieving, lying , I am above the law, Say it loud enough and often enough they will believe anything,  shit heads....Is the green that desperate to be heard... 

Because there is no price to pay for any of that and it's a fake opposition, Elizabeth May is a Democrat Party carpetbagger who seeks to insert herself into influence by any means?

On 9/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, Army Guy said:

Are the greens that desperate to have a say in parliament that they would join a coalition with the lying, deceiving, above the law liberals turds.... 

Yep. They're desperate to be relevant. They're sick of sitting at the kiddy table. They want a seat with the big boys so that they can scream their platitudes with a megaphone instead of squeaking like mice.

Unfortunately for the Greens they have the weakest, most insipid leader in the history of politics, right at the time when their age-old agenda is suddenly one of the hottest topics in politics. There are literally millions of people who care more about the environment than they care about the economy but the Greens can't cash in on it because E May is so grossly unfit for leadership. It's like it's raining dollar bills but they don't want a butterfly net, they're happy to use their dessert fork.

Edited by WestCanMan
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Army Guy said:

In order for their to be a power sharing between two parties their must be comprise, liberals give the greens their way for some things and so does the greens....sharing power with the liberals means the greens will be complicit in any more liberal scandals....Why get in bed with a bunch of thieving, lying , I am above the law, Say it loud enough and often enough they will believe anything,  shit heads....Is the green that desperate to be heard... 

You really miss the point, Army guy.

Government works best for us when parties have to negotiate. 

No one party is 'best'.

Majority governments are corrupt governments. 

Minority governments have to play nice. That's best for all of us.