Islamophobia in Canada

12 minutes ago, Boges said:

How misogynistic is it for an 11 year old to have to wear a Hijab in the first place? A true feminist PM would want to know why this girl was forced to wear such a head dress. 

The problem  is "forced". If I give my 11 year old daughter a dress to wear, am I "forcing" her? If I tell her to was something more conservative than a mini-skirt and bare midriff am I "forcing" her. Where do we draw the line? Why do you have problem with a hijab? What about this garment is so offensive to you? Do you go around telling Catholic fathers who give their 11 year daughters a cross to wear that they are being misogynistic?

Edited by ?Impact

7 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

The problem  is "forced". If I give my 11 year old daughter a dress to wear, am I "forcing" her? If I tell her to was something more conservative than a mini-skirt and bare midriff am I "forcing" her. Where do we draw the line? Why do you have problem with a hijab? What about this garment is so offensive to you? Do you go around telling Catholic fathers who give their 11 year daughters a cross to wear that they are being misogynistic?

Liberals rage about women being told to wear more modest clothes to avoid potential sexual assault all the time. 

That's the point of the Hijab/Niqab/Burka in the first place. . . Modesty. Men can't control themselves if they see skin. That's an offensive position for both genders. 

Edited by Boges
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Impact, they say they wear it because the koran tells them to. The koran says nothing about it. It is a law written by old men to keep women in line. Why can't you understand that. .

Edited by PIK

5 minutes ago, PIK said:

Impact, they say they wear it because the koran tells them to. The koran says nothing about it. It is a law written by old men to keep women in line. Why can't you understand that. .

Why can't you understand that people decide to do things based on many reasons, or a combination of reasons. Your reasoning is not that of someone else. Why can't you understand that . .

49 minutes ago, Boges said:

BTW the idea that Fundamentalist Muslims are Right Wing is the biggest paradox in today's political landscape.  

The biggest paradox is believing that conservatism and the right-wing are one and the same because they're not according to the original historical definition of the term right-wing. Every ideology thru which political power flows has a right-wing and a left-wing.

Liberals continually ignore social positions they'd never accept from Christians or Jews because they fear being labelled Islmophobic.

Do you mean Liberals or liberals?  The constant interchangeability and lazy conflation of these terms just makes it too easy to characterize people in ways that makes discourse impossible.  

How misogynistic is it for an 11 year old to have to wear a Hijab in the first place? A true feminist PM would want to know why this girl was forced to wear such a head dress.

A true conservative would be appalled that any state should tell a parent how they're allowed to raise their child.  That would be a left-wing conservative. OTOH a right-wing conservative would have no issue with the state imposing its values on people and would probably insist it do so.  This is what you  want Liberals to do isn't it?

See how it works when you apply the original definition to the terms left and right?  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PIK said:

Actually, the Quran does say this...

O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

Quran 33:59

...it is reinforced by other verses and Hadiths. 

9 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Actually, the Quran does say this...

O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

Quran 33:59

...it is reinforced by other verses and Hadiths. 

Every time I see that one, I read it as "Do what you want with any of the other women, but keep your hands off the ones that belong to the Prophet."

Not a great era to be a woman......

24 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. - 1 Corinthians 11:6

And which Christian majority countries still subscribe to this?  How many Christian majority countries have this enshrined in their laws, with the death penalty or public beatings for non-compliance?

24 minutes ago, Goddess said:

And which Christian majority countries still subscribe to this?  How many Christian majority countries have this enshrined in their laws, with the death penalty or public beatings for non-compliance?

One of Paul's parables a bit out of context. He was going to get HIS head shaven when he discussed the "morality" of long hair with his companions. Long hair her argued, was akin to covering one's head which was a woman's glory...unlike....heh...men who were the glory of god and best shaved.

Take it from there...

4 hours ago, ?Impact said:

- Premature police reports - police are right wing

Police on the street are probably more conservative than usual. But up on top, the police are very political, and their jobs depend on getting along with city hall, which is VERY left wing.

- School administration calling media conference - administration is certainly right wing unlike the academics

Nonsense. School administrators are teachers and educational professionals,  and they are VERY Left wing.

- Traditional Muslim family - most definitely right wing

Pretty debatable. If Muslims were 'most definitely right wing' how come they virtually all voted Liberal last election?

- 4 media microphones visible - two right wing (CTV, Global), one far right wing (680), one centrist (City Pulse) - net very right wing

I don't know about local radio, but saying CTV and Global are "right wing' has about as much credibility as some wack job decrying the unreliability of the  "MSM" and "Fake news". And this story was carried on all the networks and in all newspapers, regardless of what cameras you saw. 

- Demands to punish an 11 year old for telling a lie - very right wing

Well, it is true that the Right wing does believe in personal responsibility and the Left does not.

- Sympathy shown by Prime Minister for victim of police reported crime - left wing

- Demands to apologize for showing human sympathy - right wing

I would say overall this was a very right wing event

I would say your judgement is somewhat affected by you being VERY Left wing.

3 hours ago, ?Impact said:

The problem  is "forced". If I give my 11 year old daughter a dress to wear, am I "forcing" her? 

Is the dress going to make her stand out from her friends, going to mark her as 'different', going to defiantly proclaim her as being a member of a particular insular community with much different social values than everyone else? Is it going to be uncomfortable and ugly? I'm willing to bet she wouldn't wear it if you didn't make her.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

I would say your judgement is somewhat affected by you being VERY Left wing.

Just trying to bring balance to the far, far, extreme right wing viewpoint we continually hear.

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

mark her as 'different'

We she does claim that the ultra-short mini-skirt and bare midriff she wants is what all the kids are wearing.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, ?Impact said:

Just trying to bring balance to the far, far, extreme right wing viewpoint we continually hear.

You mean Capitalists?

We she does claim that the ultra-short mini-skirt and bare midriff she wants is what all the kids are wearing.

Her faceless mother is free to go home and take her daughter with her. No doubt the values and mores will be more to her liking there.

Edited by Argus

• 2 weeks later...

It may come as a surprise but there are more anti-semitic hate crimes in Canada than there are anti Muslim hate crimes....yet there are THREE TIMES as many Muslims as there are Jews - and yet we never hear the term Jew-phobia. Islamophobia is a fraudulent term. With the exception of the usual fringe minority attached to any issue, Canadians do not "hate" Muslims, nor do we have an "irrational fear" of Muslims. We do however, detest the vile actions of extremists who use a perverted, twisted interpretation of Islam to further their insane agenda. Is that fearful or irrational? No - it's frustratingly, maddeningly logical.

Edited by Centerpiece
forgot a word

If the media is so right wing, then why was the shooting of 5 people in toronto by a muslim man, go announced by the MSM. You would think it would be all over the social media. And nothing from trudeau, he was all over the fake hijab attack, but where is he now.

Canadaland podcast recently highlighted that Canadian media coverage of the Boston Marathon incident was 4X as much despite it being in a foreign country and 1/2 the number of peopel being killed. 

The terrible treatment of minorities in identifiable garb, such as Jews, is a shame on our society.  Saying that Muslims haven't hit that mark isn't an excuse.

Those of you who think hate crimes are over-reported should give your heads a shake.

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Canadaland podcast recently highlighted that Canadian media coverage of the Boston Marathon incident was 4X as much despite it being in a foreign country and 1/2 the number of peopel being killed. 

The terrible treatment of minorities in identifiable garb, such as Jews, is a shame on our society.  Saying that Muslims haven't hit that mark isn't an excuse.

Those of you who think hate crimes are over-reported should give your heads a shake.

I didn't see that much over the recent bombings in Afghanistan, despite the number of people being killed.  I suspect the reporting of the Boston Marathon bombing had more to do with it being at the Boston Marathon rather that then the numbers killed.

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I didn't see that much over the recent bombings in Afghanistan, despite the number of people being killed.  I suspect the reporting of the Boston Marathon bombing had more to do with it being at the Boston Marathon rather that then the numbers killed.

Well there is some calculus involved with covering news but only Canada would give four times the coverage to a terrorist attack of half the size in the USA.  Anybody starting to see BC's points about Canadian obsessions yet ?

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well there is some calculus involved with covering news but only Canada would give four times the coverage to a terrorist attack of half the size in the USA.  Anybody starting to see BC's points about Canadian obsessions yet ?

Canadian obsessions? Don't forget Canada went into Afghanistan because of our NATO obligations and we did not have much of a choice. The job was not finished by the 2001 invasion which is a mess we are STILL involved in.  Also BC_2004 is using that to spite the rest of us Canadians who talk about the USA.  I mean electing idiots like Bush and Trump have global impacts, so it's not just a stupid notion of Canadian obsession.  BC_2004 only does it to throw it back at anyone who is criticizing a nation that seems to have an impact everywhere they go.  It's a reality that we are also RIGHT BESIDE the biggest fuck up of a nation on the planet. Much of what the US does , affects us.  I mean is talking about NAFTA a fucking obsession with the USA?

BC_2004 is a spiteful troll, nothing more.

6 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

1. Also BC_2004 is using that to spite the rest of us Canadians who talk about the USA. 
2. I mean electing idiots like Bush and Trump have global impacts, so it's not just a stupid notion of Canadian obsession.   
3. BC_2004 is a spiteful troll, nothing more.

1. Don't infer motives.  He is likely just another great American service like Netflix.

2. Yes we have brilliant politicians like Rob Ford and Trudeau on our side I forgot.

3. Insults.

The proof is in the pudding.  

20 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

We tend to see news about Trump on the CBC too.  Not so much about George Weah.  Like it or not the US is news everywhere.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:59 PM, ?Impact said:

Why can't you understand that people decide to do things based on many reasons, or a combination of reasons. Your reasoning is not that of someone else. Why can't you understand that . .

I can see women now doing it, because they know it pisses off people.

Edited by PIK

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Don't infer motives.  He is likely just another great American service like Netflix.

2. Yes we have brilliant politicians like Rob Ford and Trudeau on our side I forgot.

3. Insults.

The proof is in the pudding.  

Rob Ford knew more about governing then trudeau ever will. Go Doug Go. LOL

Edited by PIK
  • Haha 1