Islamophobia in Canada

36 minutes ago, PIK said:

Rob Ford knew more about governing then trudeau ever will. Go Doug Go. LOL

Doug Ford was a drug dealer. You don't think that might come out in an election where his party absolutely needs the votes of rural voters?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Don't infer motives.  He is likely just another great American service like Netflix.

2. Yes we have brilliant politicians like Rob Ford and Trudeau on our side I forgot.

3. Insults.

The proof is in the pudding.  

I get insults thrown at me all the time I never see you coming to my defense when it happens. Odd don'tcha think? My accusations against said poster are 100% backed and validated over the past 5+ years from his posts alone.   Rob Ford and Trudeau are brilliant? Now I know you are delusional. 

49 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

1. I get insults thrown at me all the time I never see you coming to my defense when it happens. Odd don'tcha think? My accusations against said poster are 100% backed and validated over the past 5+ years from his posts alone.  

2. Rob Ford and Trudeau are brilliant? Now I know you are delusional. 

1. Well you replied to me directly, which means I see the comments and am likely to respond.  I haven't seen you insulted on here in recent memory anyway.  I'm glad my support matters to you, and so I will look to point out any insults against you moving forward.
2. Obvious obvious sarcasm.

9 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well there is some calculus involved with covering news but only Canada would give four times the coverage to a terrorist attack of half the size in the USA.  Anybody starting to see BC's points about Canadian obsessions yet ?

Perhaps Canada and its media cleanses itself by pointing to and amplifying ugly events that happen in the United States.

"Collective forgetting" is facilitated by collective distraction south of the border....and this great line:  "Muslims are killable"

http://www.canadalandshow.com/podcast/never-even-happened/

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Perhaps Canada and its media cleanses itself by pointing to and amplifying ugly events that happen in the United States.

"Collective forgetting" is facilitated by collective distraction south of the border....and this great line:  "Muslims are killable"

http://www.canadalandshow.com/podcast/never-even-happened/

There are times when Canadians really need to look in the mirror and think about who we are.   

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

There are times when Canadians really need to look in the mirror and think about who we are.   

Maybe, but I think it is unrealistic to demand/expect a higher standard from Canada, a nation with just as much history and baggage as many others.

Real or imagined differentiation from the American Huns plays a big role in defining the Canadian identity at the expense of some domestic realities.

"Islamophobia" is just another political hockey puck for the struggle.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Maybe, but I think it is unrealistic to demand/expect a higher standard from Canada, a nation with just as much history and baggage as many others.

It's not a higher standard, it's a different situation.  America doesn't have a bigger country on its border it can point to.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Real or imagined differentiation from the American Huns plays a big role in defining the Canadian identity at the expense of some domestic realities.

Exactly.  Not a higher standard though.

11 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's not a higher standard, it's a different situation.  America doesn't have a bigger country on its border it can point to.

Exactly.  Not a higher standard though.

But I think that is the expectation that can never be met.   Different situation / standard implicitly means a departure from U.S. norms, if only to escape being labeled as such.

I watched Trudeau's Winnipeg town hall tonight, and it was fascinating to see Muslim immigrants compete for attention/priority with "aboriginals"...both groups with their own different, pressing needs.   Trudeau placated them as best he could,  but juggling the "multicultural" balls is very difficult in the real world after election season is over.

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

America doesn't have a bigger country on its border it can point to.

America has a huge big pile of bogeymen beyond its borders to point at.  How can we help but not be fascinated by such a spectacle?

A mouse that roars is nothing compared to a tyrannosaur that squeaks.

8 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

1. But I think that is the expectation that can never be met.   Different situation / standard implicitly means a departure from U.S. norms, if only to escape being labeled as such.

2. I watched Trudeau's Winnipeg town hall tonight, and it was fascinating to see Muslim immigrants compete for attention/priority with "aboriginals"...both groups with their own different, pressing needs.   Trudeau placated them as best he could,  but juggling the "multicultural" balls is very difficult in the real world after election season is over.

1.  Trudeau Sr. wanted Canada to break out and define itself.  We did, but never broke free from comparing ourselves.

2.  'Multicultural' itself is a word that executes an abstraction.  It levels people while recognizing that each group has its own needs, but the 'government' and the 'people' only have to recognize that there is no expectation that people lose their entire 'culture'.  People can argue what that means, and many do to differentiate from 'melting pot' or what have you.  That's an exercise for rhetoricians.  

Canada can learn from the US but also needs to grow its own personality.

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

America has a huge big pile of bogeymen beyond its borders to point at.  How can we help but not be fascinated by such a spectacle?

There's no equivalent, though, of a national moralism like ours that tries to exonerate its own issues that way.

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

A mouse that roars is nothing compared to a tyrannosaur that squeaks.

If you are a mouse, you should think about mouse things.

26 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1.  Trudeau Sr. wanted Canada to break out and define itself.  We did, but never broke free from comparing ourselves.

Maybe, but more realistically for the time is that Pierre Trudeau wanted to battle separatism in Quebec for lots of reasons, and as demonstrated in the Canadaland podcast, also succeeded in creating another (internal) boundary to be more dismissive of Quebec hate crimes in the rest of Anglo Canada.   So we get..."That is not who we are"....comparisons to America, and Quebec.   This naive mindset is consistent across much of Canadian media, and is more properly translated as, "We don't want to believe what we are...and have been".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Well you replied to me directly, which means I see the comments and am likely to respond.  I haven't seen you insulted on here in recent memory anyway.  I'm glad my support matters to you, and so I will look to point out any insults against you moving forward.
2. Obvious obvious sarcasm.

Then you have no idea what an insult is, as you have no idea what trolling is.   That is no sarcasm.

13 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

1. Then you have no idea what an insult is,

2. as you have no idea what trolling is.   

1. How do you know that I just haven't seen the insult posts ?  You seem to think I pay a lot of attention to every thread on here and I definitely don't.  I am pointedly not following Israel issues as much as domestic issues around Islamophobia.

2. It's subjective, so kind of like "you don't know what a good burger is".  I don't, and you don't.

20 hours ago, Argus said:

Doug Ford was a drug dealer. You don't think that might come out in an election where his party absolutely needs the votes of rural voters?

Everybody already knows and they don't care. The problem will be the media trying to hang his brothers sins against him and the same with Mulroney and her father. And I am rural and the majority will be voting PC, not doug or caroline or who else ,but PC. And my understanding is because of doug ford the PC 's won the scarborough by election. The drug thingy is old news and worn out. That is the least of our worries. And with the polls that came oput today ,they say the same thing, people want change and the PC's are the change.

Edited by PIK
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 7:32 PM, Centerpiece said:

It may come as a surprise but there are more anti-semitic hate crimes in Canada than there are anti Muslim hate crimes.

All bigotry needs to be stopped, this is not the place to compare who is the bigger victims, especially when it was almost exactly a year ago that 6 Muslims were killed and 19 others injured in a hate crime in Canada for simply attending religious services at a Mosque.

18 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Yes, Conservatives/Republicans have zero morals, they are always willing to look the other way if it servers their partisan agenda.

All of them?  Or is it implied, because quite a few of them do some really bad things, and we ought to know you don't actually mean every single one?

Edited by bcsapper

On 2/1/2018 at 11:14 AM, Michael Hardner said:

1. How do you know that I just haven't seen the insult posts ?  You seem to think I pay a lot of attention to every thread on here and I definitely don't.  I am pointedly not following Israel issues as much as domestic issues around Islamophobia.

2. It's subjective, so kind of like "you don't know what a good burger is".  I don't, and you don't.

You have seen the posts, you chose to ignore them. You have no problem coming to Rue's defense and call me anti-semetic yourself. Remember when Rue told me to cut my dick off? Where was your outrage?  I called it out and I got banned, remember? No? Why not?  Why are you not a forum 'facilitator' anymore?

And so you are selective in what you read around here, and avoid those threads because you know damn well what you would find.

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

You have seen the posts, you chose to ignore them.

That's incorrect.

I called it out and I got banned, remember?

No.

Remember when Rue told me to cut my dick off?

No.

I called it out and I got banned, remember?

No.

1. No?

2. Why not?

1. No.

2. Because I moderated several issues a day for a long time, so I don't remember every little issue.  I probably forgot about it within a day of it happening.  Why would I remember such things ?

Why are you not a forum 'facilitator' anymore?

If you PM me, I can explain.

And so you are selective in what you read around here, and avoid those threads because you know damn well what you would find.

Yes, I am selective.  I don't avoid threads because they might contain an insult - why would I care ?  You think I care about these things way more than I do.  I avoid Israel threads and threads that contain the term 'Mufti' for the same reason I didn't watch the Jerry Lewis Telethon after 1978: It. Is. Boring.