Minister of Foreign Affairs has a loan of $1.2M from China, he should resign

This is preposterous, how could our Minister be neutral when dealing with China when he got a loan of that size to the Bank of China? He's a Chinese puppet.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/francois-philippe-champagne-bank-of-china-1-2-million-mortgage

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's a mortgage right?  Either there are rules on this or there aren't.

China has taken over the #1 spot as the most dangerous country in the world to do business with.

At the time that he took out the mortgages it probably didn't seem like a big deal but it is now. He needs to get rid of those ASAP, even if it means that he has to sell his properties.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The fact that he took a loan in China doesn't make the minister a puppet. Perhaps he needed money for his personal needs, so he acted dishonestly towards the state. However, all this can be connected only with his thirst for profit and not with a conspiracy against the state and citizens. You misunderstand this situation and make hasty conclusions. Any Mortgage Broker Doncaster will tell you that it's impossible to get a loan in China if you aren't a country citizen or don't want to live there for the next ten years. Perhaps the minister has been planning his resignation for a long time.

Edited by whittakerturbeville

44 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Just because you borrow money from creditors in another country, doesn't mean they own you. Look at John Handcock and Adams who owed 10's of thousands of Pounds to creditors in England. They simply welshed on their debts. Obviously, England didn't own their loyalty.

England didn't poison the bloody planet!

As far as I'm concerned, China can suck rocks!

If it were up to me, I'd wipe all CCP debt we have, right off the books and tell them to go to hell.

But then again...I have principals...

I must have missed something. When did we go to war with China in the last 60 years? They are not our BFF's but they are not the enemy either. Russia, OTOH, maybe in a few hours. Preferably, we end up getting along with everyone. I haven't had a chance to sweep out my fallout shelter.

8 minutes ago, myata said:

You may have missed something else: it's called "conflict of interest" and quite an obvious one. Never a problem, I know.

So, any cabinet minister who has a loan with a Canadian bank should not be allowed to vote on the Bank Act? Everyone would be considered to be in a conflict of interest in that case. 

What did the Ethics Commissioner have to say about it?

Edited by Queenmandy85

Honourable Andrew Scheer, leader of the opposition at the time, said " “This is incredible. The person who should be representing Canada’s interests is indebted to a bank run by the Chinese Communist Party. How did Justin Trudeau think he was an acceptable pick for Minister of Foreign Affairs?”

"Columnist John Ivison wrote in the newspaper, National Post: “When you owe someone more than $1 million, the potential for influence and abuse is ever-present.” He also cited Margaret McCuaig Johnston, a senior fellow at the China Institute at the University of Alberta, as saying, “It is inconceivable that this is not at the back of his mind as he deals with the government of China, his most difficult file.”

Canada’s foreign minister faces heat over $1mn loan from Chinese bank | World News - Hindustan Times

What is staggering about this is the fact that Trudeau would appoint Champagne as Minister of Foreign Affairs, knowing Champagne has these mortgages with a bank controlled by the Chinese Communist Party.  There is a news report that the mortgages with the bank in China were paid off in 2020 and mortgages taken out with a Canadian bank.  This is a good thing.  But still what happened during those years he had the loan with China and was Minister of Foreign Affairs?  Appointing him to that position shows a lack of judgment. 

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

But still what happened during those years he had the loan with China and was Minister of Foreign Affairs?

And exactly when did he become Foreign Minister? It appears he divested himself of the Chinese loans when he was appointed.

Why do you hate China? If he had a mortgage through an American bank, that would be just as bad. If he had a loan from the Bank of Montreal or the Royal Bank, would he not have the same "conflict of interest?"

Many years ago, I worked for one of Canada'a major banks. Our assistant accountant had come to us from our Ottawa main branch. He said the branch was carrying large loans from many members of Parliament.

Few Canadians could afford to serve in Parliament without incurring debt.

25 minutes ago, West said:

The ethics Commissioners are just as corrupt as Trudeau. 

Link? You have made an accusation that needs to be backed up with documentation or you may be open to litigation, or are you saying they are not corrupt because Prime Minister Trudeau is not corrupt. You need to clarify.

6 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Link? You have made an accusation that needs to be backed up with documentation or you may be open to litigation, or are you saying they are not corrupt because Prime Minister Trudeau is not corrupt. You need to clarify.

Where are they standing on the blatant human rights abuses by the current government? The SNC lavalin scam? What have they actually done about a PM who railroaded an Attorney General? 

35 minutes ago, West said:

The ethics Commissioners are just as corrupt as Trudeau. 

The bureaucracy knows only one solution for posing as "accountable" and "transparent": appoint another high level expensive restaurant munching bureaucrat with an outrageous compensation at public expense and see miracles happen.

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2020 at 8:21 AM, QuebecOverCanada said:

This is preposterous, how could our Minister be neutral when dealing with China when he got a loan of that size to the Bank of China? He's a Chinese puppet.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/francois-philippe-champagne-bank-of-china-1-2-million-mortgage

That article is a year and a half  old. The Minister of Foreign Affairs is Melanie Joly. 

On Edit: Might be one of the reasons Champagne was demoted.

Edited by Aristides
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

And exactly when did he become Foreign Minister? It appears he divested himself of the Chinese loans when he was appointed.

Why do you hate China? If he had a mortgage through an American bank, that would be just as bad. If he had a loan from the Bank of Montreal or the Royal Bank, would he not have the same "conflict of interest?"

Many years ago, I worked for one of Canada'a major banks. Our assistant accountant had come to us from our Ottawa main branch. He said the branch was carrying large loans from many members of Parliament.

Few Canadians could afford to serve in Parliament without incurring debt.

I ordered a Dell computer for $89 from one of those ads on Facebook which said they were associated with Costco but it comes from China.  Ordered four weeks ago.  Am still waiting.

I gave you the names of books to study on China's growing power and influence in the west, but you still sound like you know nothing about it.  You think they can be trusted with their growing influence in Canada?   Ask the two Michaels.  Ask the international countries that tried to investigate the origins of Covid.   Ask Taiwan.   Ask Australia about China.  Ask the CIA in the U.S.  Ask the U.S. military.  Ask the Canadian Forces.  Ask all the companies that they stole technology from.

5 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Just because you borrow money from creditors in another country, doesn't mean they own you. Look at John Handcock and Adams who owed 10's of thousands of Pounds to creditors in England. They simply welshed on their debts. Obviously, England didn't own their loyalty.

Or Trump and Deutshebank

That said - a NATIONAL bank is a different thing, which is why I asked what the stated conflict rules are

• Like 1