Jump to content

Erin O'Toole is the Conservative Leader


Recommended Posts

This is the culmination of the first chapter. An eight month grind and a major Canadian political forum has one thread with two comments. That in its self, tells a story. 

I would give him 50-50 to defeat the Grits. He has experience and seems to know what he's doing. He knows how to run a campaign and isn't prone to gaffs.

Old politics are fun politics.

Edited by Queenmandy85
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

What do people think are his chances to unseat Justin Trudeau?

Pretty good.

1) O'Toole is from the GTA, which should help with the Ontario votes that the Conservatives so desperately need, and Ontarians have no reason to blindly follow our scandal-plagued village idiot.

2) Trudeau can't win a single seat in AB, Sask or Man. He'll do worse in the next election than he did in 2019, and that's saying something.

3) Most of the Que seats will go to the bloc, with a smattering of seats split between the Libs, cons and NDP.

4) The Conservatives won the most seats in BC in 2019 and support for the Liberals is down in BC as well. All that Jagmeet Singh has done is carry water for Trudeau, he has nothing to show for his time as leader of the NDP. I think the Conservatives have gained a lot of ground on both parties since 2019 in BC.

IMO the only solid voting block that Trudeau might still have is the Atlantic provinces. If Trudeau can't lock that area up again he is 100% toast. I'd love to see the polling numbers from Atlantic Canada.

I don't think that another 2011-type total is out of question for the Liberals. It would be a certainty if the NDP had a better leader, but Jagmeet won't steal support from anyone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Erin O'Toole could have a better chance at winning a plurality of seats in the house of commons than Andrew Scheer.

- He is willing to march in pride parades and answer questions on social issues.

- In his victory speech he appeared willing to try to target and engage with LPC and NDP voters, which would be a very different tone than Scheer.

- The speech suggested that he wants to focus more on law-and-order issues (such as rail blockades and not wanting to abolish the police) as well as cancel culture, which could be issues where the CPC could gain support. Honestly, the LPC and NDP seem to be moving in a direction where they no longer agree with equal application of law and with open debate in society.

 

However, I doubt the CPC would form a government even if they get slightly more seats than the LPC. The party doesn't know how to tackle the issue of climate change, which makes a majority government impossible and a coalition government difficult. Also, it is unlikely that you will have an equivalent of the blackface scandal like in the last election.

Edited by -1=e^ipi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am happy they didnt pick Peter Mackay..a real boring traditional type of politician than would not excite anyone. I dont much about Eric O'Toole but at first glance he seems to be a better choice than Scheer or Mackay. But not sure I nor many other people are too excited yet. 

In the end all politicians disappoint..there rarely is a saviour. The country is in such a mess like most western nations that I doubt anyone will be able to pull us out without a wrenching financial crisis which ultimately could very well lead to the breakup of the country. I actually think western Canada should seriously think of leaving..Manitoba and west maybe get the Yukon in there as well..the culture and ideology of people in that part of the country is much closer. Quebec should be on its own..let them pay for their own silliness for once. Ontario has been dragging the country around far too long..lets see them on their own and who cares about Atlantic Canada..let them join the states if they want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He is a hard worker. His group was organized to a T. He has a sence of humour ,served all over canada. He will out hustle trudeau like he out hustled Mackay. Mackay thought he had it in the bag and that is what lost it for him.  Trudeau is finished. It sover. Any truth to the report his wife wants a divorce, tells me that all this went to his head and she doesn't want anything to do with him. Like that video that shows her telling him to be humble. That same story says he is spending 3.6 m on a new house for him and the wife will stay in the other. Trudeau is so damn sure he is going to win. And one interesting point, he cleaned up in Quebec, that had many people sign up from quebec when trudeau said he is coming for the guns.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wxman52 said:

I am happy they didnt pick Peter Mackay..a real boring traditional type of politician than would not excite anyone. I dont much about Eric O'Toole but at first glance he seems to be a better choice than Scheer or Mackay. But not sure I nor many other people are too excited yet. 

In the end all politicians disappoint..there rarely is a saviour. The country is in such a mess like most western nations that I doubt anyone will be able to pull us out without a wrenching financial crisis which ultimately could very well lead to the breakup of the country. I actually think western Canada should seriously think of leaving..Manitoba and west maybe get the Yukon in there as well..the culture and ideology of people in that part of the country is much closer. Quebec should be on its own..let them pay for their own silliness for once. Ontario has been dragging the country around far too long..lets see them on their own and who cares about Atlantic Canada..let them join the states if they want. 

Sorry but ONT carried the west for decades. And breaking up canada is the most stupidest thing that we could ever do. We have it good but people are getting a little to spoiled for their own good. We just need to fix it and Otoole is the one to do it. And when you look at scheers numbers , that boy did great, but the media made everyone hate him. But he let his religion get in the way.

Edited by PIK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The financial crisis coming will destroy this country. Quebec will finally get its wish and leave. The west will be so angry at the mismanagement of the Trudeau government and become sick and tired of easterners taking them for granted. Ontario may have carried the west way way back but its been a long time and lets talk about now..and in recent times its Alberta which has been carrying a lot of this country on its shoulders. 

Its Ontarians who keep voting for Trudope as well even though he is so clearly a complete fluff ball. Yes we dont have great choices in this country but Trudeau from day one was clearly all about image and glitz but no substance, no integrity and no competence. Yet Ontario still supports him. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, scribblet said:

He's not a social conservative so that's a plus, I'm good with it.   Leslyn Lewis did very well, they should give her some position to give her experience etc. 

The Tool is just another liberal tool puppet on a string for the elite deep state globalists. Nothing will change in politics in Canada because politicians do not run and rule over this country. The globalists do, get it? Probably not. Most Joe and Mary six packs never really get anything anymore. They just keep voting for the same aholes who have no interest in Canada. They are not leaders, but just followers.

I thought that Sloan was the best of all the conservatives candidates for the leadership of the conservative party because he did act and talked like a real conservative. But obviously, the conservative top dogs at HQ did not want a real conservative leader in power. They just want another liberal  conservative to keep up the liberal political bull shit that has taken over this once great conservative country. It will be several more years of liberal liberalism. Gawd, how some Canadians have gotten this far in life with so little is beyond me. Aw well. :unsure:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, wxman52 said:

The financial crisis coming will destroy this country. Quebec will finally get its wish and leave. The west will be so angry at the mismanagement of the Trudeau government and become sick and tired of easterners taking them for granted. Ontario may have carried the west way way back but its been a long time and lets talk about now..and in recent times its Alberta which has been carrying a lot of this country on its shoulders. 

Its Ontarians who keep voting for Trudope as well even though he is so clearly a complete fluff ball. Yes we dont have great choices in this country but Trudeau from day one was clearly all about image and glitz but no substance, no integrity and no competence. Yet Ontario still supports him. 

 

 

Alberta separatist movements have come and gone. This Wexit separatist movement will go nowhere either. Albertan's are just like every other Canadian in Canada. All talk with no walk. No time to talk or walk. Too busy for that stuff. The only ones that are having a good laugh at Alberta and the rest of English Canada are the french leftist liberals from Quebec. The french leftists own Ottawa and can do whatever they dam well please to the rest of the country. O'Toole will never be able to change that. O'Toole will go along to get along with french Quebec. Believe it or not. 

We have such a dictating bozo already from french Quebec running and ruining and ruling over this country, and nobody does anything about this Teflon Don guy called Trudeau. This guy can do whatever he wants to bloody well do to this country. And this crime mistake of Canada has three more years to finish off this once great British/European country pretty much for good. O'toole will be too late to try and save the old Canada. O'Toole is just another puppet on a globalist string. He will do whatever the globalists tell him must be done just like Teflon Don has been doing under Soros's globalist and communist tutoring. If they the sheeple think that they are the boss in this country well I have news for you all. It's too late. The globalists already own you and you are their property now.  The majority of Canadians are just followers and that will never change. And pro globalist O'Toole will be leading the way. 

And now Teflon Don has now prorogued the government to avoid any further actions being taken against him for now with all of his crimes that have been committed against they the stunned sheeple. Teflon Don is not the crazy in the head. It is they the people who are crazy in the head. But hey, what more can be said except to carry on Canada to your demise. Bye-bye. ;)

Edited by taxme
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

This is the culmination of the first chapter. An eight month grind and a major Canadian political forum has one thread with two comments. That in its self, tells a story.

We knew it would be him or MacKay and there's damn all difference between them. Neither has brought any new policy or viewpoint to talk about. Both of them were careful to make no commitments to anything. What's to talk about? O'Toole is probably less sappy than his predecessor? Okay.

Whether they can win depends, I think, on how badly the Trudeau government screws up. Because I doubt O'Toole is going to come out with any interesting views, vision or policy announcements. It will likely be more of the same as under Scheer and Harper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good luck to him, he sure has a fifth column in the Party with MacKay almost apologizing for being white and stating that systemic racism exists in Canada to this day. Some Conservatives are more Liberals than Liberals themselves except when it comes to oil exploitation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, -1=e^ipi said:

However, I doubt the CPC would form a government even if they get slightly more seats than the LPC. The party doesn't know how to tackle the issue of climate change, which makes a majority government impossible and a coalition government difficult.

Neither do the other parties. They just pretend they do. They haven't a clue other than to raise carbon taxes higher and higher in order to encourage CO2 emitting businesses to relocate to Mexico.

I'm not understanding how that actually helps the environment as opposed to just making our numbers look better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Argus said:

Neither do the other parties. They just pretend they do. They haven't a clue other than to raise carbon taxes higher and higher in order to encourage CO2 emitting businesses to relocate to Mexico.

I'm not understanding how that actually helps the environment as opposed to just making our numbers look better.

Taxes on CO2 emissions are the most economically efficient way to reduce emissions. This is because it allows for competition between different ways of reducing emissions and doesn't pick winners and losers like crony-capitalism does. Admittedly, they can lead to some emission spillovers to jurisdictions without taxation of CO2 emissions. That's why it would be optimal to have a global pigouvian tax on CO2 emissions, that applies to other countries. In the meantime, spillovers could be countered with either CO2 tariffs on imports or CO2 emission taxes that only apply at the margin for sectors of the economy that are more at risk of relocating to other countries.

Alternatively, if the goal is to reduce global emissions rather than meet Stephen Harper's goal of 30% emission reductions by 2030, then beyond a minimal level of taxation of CO2 emissions in Canada, it could be more economically efficient to buy emission credits from other countries and pay other countries to reduce emissions. But then if the CPC disagrees with reducing domestic CO2 emissions as the goal, then why did Stephen Harper create that as the target? And why don't any of the candidates or MPs criticize the decision by Harper?

It's almost like the CPC doesn't actually care about climate change, but they will say whatever to be elected. So in 2010, they would gladly agree to a 30% CO2 emission reduction target in 2030, because that is in the distant future and the Harper would be long out of power before he has to do anything to meet the target. Similarly, in 2020, all the MPs in candidates will agree to the net-zero CO2 emission target for 2050, because 2050 is in the distant future and they don't have to actually do anything today to meet that target. Even if they do win the next election, they will be long retired before 2050. Agreeing to a ridiculous target several decades in the future has the appeal that you don't have to do anything now, but you can pat yourself on the back at how green you are, and maybe get a few more votes. But it isn't good policy. The level of mitigation that society should do should be determined by weighting the various costs and benefits of different policy. Maybe that means more mitigation than the CPC wants today, but less mitigation than they promise in 2050.

But by opposing the most economically efficient way to reduce emissions (CO2 taxes) the CPC has no path forward to make a coherent and believable position on climate change. But I guess it is to be expected from an economically illiterate party that worships the Dairy Cartel.

Edited by -1=e^ipi
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

O’Toole starts with some pluses. His bio is much closer to that of ordinary Canadians than Trudeau’s and even features military service. He’s certainly no right-wing firebrand and his calm style should not spook the floating voters the party needs. In addition, he’s got the Ontario connections where the battle may be lost and won. One challenge will be keeping the social conservatives happy and quiet. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Taxes on CO2 emissions are the most economically efficient way to reduce emissions. This is because it allows for competition between different ways of reducing emissions and doesn't pick winners and losers like crony-capitalism does. Admittedly, they can lead to some emission spillovers to jurisdictions without taxation of CO2 emissions. That's why it would be optimal to have a global pigouvian tax on CO2 emissions, that applies to other countries. In the meantime, spillovers could be countered with either CO2 tariffs on imports or CO2 emission taxes that only apply at the margin for sectors of the economy that are more at risk of relocating to other countries.

Alternatively, if the goal is to reduce global emissions rather than meet Stephen Harper's goal of 30% emission reductions by 2030, then beyond a minimal level of taxation of CO2 emissions in Canada, it could be more economically efficient to buy emission credits from other countries and pay other countries to reduce emissions. But then if the CPC disagrees with reducing domestic CO2 emissions as the goal, then why did Stephen Harper create that as the target? And why don't any of the candidates or MPs criticize the decision by Harper?

It's almost like the CPC doesn't actually care about climate change, but they will say whatever to be elected. So in 2010, they would gladly agree to a 30% CO2 emission reduction target in 2030, because that is in the distant future and the Harper would be long out of power before he has to do anything to meet the target. Similarly, in 2020, all the MPs in candidates will agree to the net-zero CO2 emission target for 2050, because 2050 is in the distant future and they don't have to actually do anything today to meet that target. Even if they do win the next election, they will be long retired before 2050. Agreeing to a ridiculous target several decades in the future has the appeal that you don't have to do anything now, but you can pat yourself on the back at how green you are, and maybe get a few more votes. But it isn't good policy. The level of mitigation that society should do should be determined by weighting the various costs and benefits of different policy. Maybe that means more mitigation than the CPC wants today, but less mitigation than they promise in 2050.

But by opposing the most economically efficient way to reduce emissions (CO2 taxes) the CPC has no path forward to make a coherent and believable position on climate change. But I guess it is to be expected from an economically illiterate party that worships the Dairy Cartel.

In todays world where do you think Canadians priorities are going to lay, keeping in mind we still do not know what is coming this winter, be it the second wave or Canadians demanding freedom to do what ever they want in regards to CV-19... and during all that we need to find solutions to those issues first....after that we enter the recovery phase, jump starting the economy, putting people back to work, getting kids back to school... So i have to ask, We have already spent 360 bil, with experts saying it will grow to over 560 bil....is there going to be any funding left for climate change, and where do you think it's priority should lay, number 1 , 3, 5,  7, or is still a few years out...Covid has change a lot of things climate change is one of them...

Lets also remember this is the direction the liberals are going to go....they will announce a major green program, plus shit tones of social programs in an attempt to buy votes....IS the Dairy Cartel a CPC thing or just a Scheer thing ? ...

Edited by Army Guy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the previous federal Conservative leadership campaign, in Quebec, I met/listened to Erin O'Toole - shook hands, as I recall. (I note that Andrew Scheer sat at a table, texting, ignored us. Maxime Bernier didn't show.)

Among the various candidates on stage at the time, O'Toole impressed me the most. His French is bad but his name is obviously Catholic.

******

I had no vote in this federal Conservative leadership choice. I knew that Derek Sloan would not win. I was happy with the other three alternatives although I preferred Mackay (he's known), O'Toole (he has a seat). Lewis, to be honest, I didn't know at all - but I heard good things.

At the federal level, we need a viable alternative. O'Toole may not become our PM but the CPC offers a credible alternative.

Many people say that the federal Conservatives and the federal Liberals are like Colgate and Crest. No choice, same diff. Well, compare Canada with China or Russia. In Canada, we can throw the buggers out.

Edited by August1991
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, wxman52 said:

The financial crisis coming will destroy this country. Quebec will finally get its wish and leave. The west will be so angry at the mismanagement of the Trudeau government and become sick and tired of easterners taking them for granted. Ontario may have carried the west way way back but its been a long time and lets talk about now..and in recent times its Alberta which has been carrying a lot of this country on its shoulders. 

Its Ontarians who keep voting for Trudope as well even though he is so clearly a complete fluff ball. Yes we dont have great choices in this country but Trudeau from day one was clearly all about image and glitz but no substance, no integrity and no competence. Yet Ontario still supports him. 

 

 

Parts of Ont. And even parts of the west. It is southern Ont and the whole east coast that needs to change. They have hated cons since Harper called them out in their abuse of EI over the years. And he was right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, PIK said:

Sorry but ONT carried the west for decades.

Uh....NO!

That is well beyond preposterous.  I (and anyone else who bothers to think about it) could write a very large book on how the East used its political clout to screw over the West for the last century.

As to O'Toole being "the man" to do the job, I will have to wait and see.  He is ex-military (a big plus) but only a junior officer so didn't really get far in that career.  He is culturally much closer to the middle of the Conservative road (another big plus).   BUT: to become a lawyer?>????   Geez, not another one of those animals.  IMHO a very big minus.   Even so, his former claim to want to privatize CBC, dump the carbon tax BS and back of on gun law silliness might mean there is still a bit of human being under the corporate bloodsucker career he left for politics.

Edited by cannuck
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,745
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    historyradio.org
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

    • CDN1 went up a rank
      Rookie
    • User went up a rank
      Experienced
    • exPS went up a rank
      Contributor
    • DUI_Offender earned a badge
      Very Popular
    • exPS went up a rank
      Explorer
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...