Erin O'Toole out

On 2/2/2022 at 10:05 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

Erin O'Toole has been removed by a vote of the caucus. Who should replace him. I suspect anyone who could beat Prime Minister Trudeau wouldn't touch the CPC leadership with a 3.5 metre pole.

With all the extreme anti-health restrictions and anti-mandate MPs in the party, who in their right mind would want to try to lead a group like that?  By showing their support for the so-called freedom protesters, they are destroying the conservative party.  I don't think that is where the majority of Canadians are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blackbird said:

With all the extreme anti-health restrictions and anti-mandate MPs in the party, who in their right mind would want to try to lead a group like that?  By showing their support for the so-called freedom protesters, they are destroying the conservative party.  I don't think that is where the majority of Canadians are.

Recent Angus Reid poll has over half of Canadians wanting COVID restrictions/mandates to end. Divided perhaps but certainly not 'fringe minority' as Trudeau and the media portray

https://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/2022.01.31_Covid_Incidence_Restrictions.pdf

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nexii said:

Recent Angus Reid poll has over half of Canadians wanting COVID restrictions/mandates to end. Divided perhaps but certainly not 'fringe minority' as Trudeau and the media portray

https://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/2022.01.31_Covid_Incidence_Restrictions.pdf

Facts shmacts. The poll doesn't actually count if it contravenes The Word from our dear leader. You should be ashamed.

FYI Trudeau and Global like the mandates, and they love hate mongering against people who disagree with them about anything, so.... if you don't want to be called a racist, a misogynist, be told that you're just 'taking up space', and then be left to fret, awaiting the left's decision about whether or not you'll be tolerated, you'd better recant, sinner. 

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think with the right arguments carbon taxes are easily discredited.  Have to come up with some kind of policy to “fight climate change.”   “Green tax credit” and “Green Building Code” could work.  

Yes, is anyone with a sane and intelligent set of real policies such as these above going to come forwards and, first, enter the Conservative leadership race, second, be able to be elected both Conservative leader and then Prime Minister?

Or, is it more likely that rhetoric about vaccines, freedom, wokeism/anti-wokeism is going to rule the Conservative leadership race and the Conservative party is going to split again via some Reform/PC repeat, maybe PPC/PC this time?

33 minutes ago, Nexii said:

Of course everyone want the pandemic to end and restrictions lifted.  But different provinces are experiencing different levels of Covid.  Your poll mentions 54% want the restrictions to end.  The reality is polls may have a degree of input to the politicians, but the health authorities will have a major say as they examine the spread and risks to society in lifting restrictions.  So I don't think there is any hard and fast rule anywhere that says a poll determines when the restrictions will be lifted.  It will most likely be a gradual process depending especially on the pressure on hospitals and ICUs by Covid patients. Hopefully no new dangerous variant will suddenly appear and start spreading all over again because that could change the whole picture.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nexii said:

The fact is politicians and protesters demanding freedom don't determine when the pandemic ends.  Governments are required to maintain the public health care system and if it is threatened to explode with Covid patients, governments all over the world have no choice but to bring in health restrictions.  The problem is still much of the world has been vaccinated very little or few people and new variants could originate from those places and spread to the west.  The west needs to get busy and help get those places vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, 500channelsurfer said:

Yes, is anyone with a sane and intelligent set of real policies such as these above going to come forwards and, first, enter the Conservative leadership race, second, be able to be elected both Conservative leader and then Prime Minister?

Or, is it more likely that rhetoric about vaccines, freedom, wokeism/anti-wokeism is going to rule the Conservative leadership race and the Conservative party is going to split again via some Reform/PC repeat, maybe PPC/PC this time?

I think as COVID passes conservatives will increasingly crow about how they were %100 correct about everything right from the beginning and use the same logic when snow falls in June somewhere to give the same impression about climate change.

The base will suckle it back like lambs and heave a big collective baaaaaa!

11 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

So, they can choose to be vaccinated?  

Why the need for hyperbole?  Instead of saying “forced vaccinations”, why not tell the truth?  Does it not set enough hairs on fire?

So the choice is putting something in your body or losing your job?  Call me crazy but sounds more like coercion...which is exactly why they did it.

5 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

What if there was a law that said "if you get an abortion we will fire you from your job".

It probably wouldn't stand up in court unless you were infecting people in some way that caused them to turn into a fetus.

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

So the choice is putting something in your body or losing your job?  Call me crazy but sounds more like coercion...which is exactly why they did it.

Difficult choices in difficult times…  who said pandemics are fun and games?  What did anti-vaxxers say about polio and smallpox vaccines?

59 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

What if there was a law that said "if you get an abortion we will fire you from your job".

Do you think communicable diseases are the same as being pregnant?

Edited by TreeBeard

Just now, TreeBeard said:

How many Canadians should die before they become equivalent?

a helluva lot more than it's killing now

and it would also have to kill or have major permanent side effects on a much healthier group of people than it is now

covid is never going to get there

the restrictions are doing more harm than the disease by several orders of magnitude

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

Are you stamping your feet and screaming still about taking reasonable health measures to protect your neighbour?  Even little school children had to be vaccinated to protect the other kids in schools.  Or did you somehow think it was evil and escape it?

You really don’t know what’s going on.  There’s no vaccine mandate yet for under 12’s, though it’s probably coming once they’ve had more opportunity to get vaccinated.  A vaccine is being approved for under 5’s soon.  Vaccinating young kids is very controversial and parents have very strong opinions about discretion.  My whole family is vaccinated but I wouldn’t want my kids to get a boost.  I don’t think any of them really needed to get vaccinated, but it’s a precaution I suppose.  I suppose.  

13 hours ago, blackbird said:

The fact is politicians and protesters demanding freedom don't determine when the pandemic ends.  Governments are required to maintain the public health care system and if it is threatened to explode with Covid patients, governments all over the world have no choice but to bring in health restrictions.  The problem is still much of the world has been vaccinated very little or few people and new variants could originate from those places and spread to the west.  The west needs to get busy and help get those places vaccinated.

You’ll never vaccinate enough people to eliminate risk from Covid.  Holding society hostage for two years when so many protections are available in our country is twisted and sadistic.   We have Charter protections to stave off such tyranny because history has taught us about the creep into government overreach that is probably inevitable.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

It is odd, stupid even, that they've taken this step as a party during such a crucial time when the government is in minority, and the PM looks highly vulnerable on stage. If ever there was time to call for the government to fall, that time is now.

So perhaps this move is more than stupid. Looking back at Ontario, we saw a quick change in leadership as well, at a time when there was virtual certainty among politicos that the Liberal premier would fall. The next premier of ON would be the leader of the Progressive Conservative party...

:huh::huh::wacko:

Another view is- Mr. O'Toole was simply brushed aside, to make way for the next PM.

Edited by OftenWrong
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Can you name a country with a better legal system than Canada?  
Can you give us an example of where criticizing a government official got someone sued?

Ezra Levant got sued for talking about the head of the Canadian Human Rights tribunal.  All the parliamentary systems have the same problem with citizens trolling for building defamation suits where honest opinion is not considered a defense.  The USA standard is better in the sense a judge will actually toss a suit they deem without merit.  For some reason judges in Canada will give EVERYTHING a time in court no matter how ludicrous and judges don't seem to understand what hyperbole is.  The problem with the USA is the damages are massive - in the millions.  Better legal systems:  Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Switzerland come to mind.

16 hours ago, Nexii said:

Will be interesting to see where the Cons go. Whether more libertarian or authoritarian right. Unfortunately I feel it's more likely to be the latter.

It's strange that I'd consider PPC about now. They get a lot wrong about trans issues but so does the woke left which is overtaking the Lib and NDP parties.

All the left-wing parties have gone so far authoritarian that it's getting scary. No good options right now sadly.

The CPC went off the reservation for me when they banned conversion therapy.  They are dogmeat to me now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blackbird said:

My approach to this issue is that I think they will NEVER end.  Annual vaccine mandates for adults will continue in perpetuity.  As will mask mandates.

11 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

You really don’t know what’s going on.  There’s no vaccine mandate yet for under 12’s, though it’s probably coming once they’ve had more opportunity to get vaccinated.  A vaccine is being approved for under 5’s soon.  Vaccinating young kids is very controversial and parents have very strong opinions about discretion.  My whole family is vaccinated but I wouldn’t want my kids to get a boost.  I don’t think any of them really needed to get vaccinated, but it’s a precaution I suppose.  I suppose.  

The public health drug pushers were trying to get my daughter jabbed for HPV.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

It is odd, stupid even, that they've taken this step as a party during such a crucial time when the government is in minority, and the PM looks highly vulnerable on stage. If ever there was time to call for the government to fall, that time is now.

So perhaps this move is more than stupid. Looking back at Ontario, we saw a quick change in leadership as well, at a time when there was virtual certainty among politicos that the Liberal premier would fall. The next premier of ON would be the leader of the Progressive Conservative party...

:huh::huh::wacko:

Another view is- Mr. O'Toole was simply brushed aside, to make way for the next PM.

If there was an election now, I think Trudeau might win a majority.  The Conservatives are out of touch with most Canadians.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2