Erin O'Toole out

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

you should ask yourself the same question

it is far more applicable to you

Oh ffs. Forget my definitions altogether it that'll make you any less depressed about this.

Merriam-Webster's nailed it. Take your foolishness up with them.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Unless they can choose in which case that distinction is the difference.

So you're saying mandates are just a suggestion?  So unvaxxed truckers aren't forced to quarantine if they haul across border effectively making them unemployed and it's a choice?  It's a choice whether or not they can freely move across the border without a vaccine?  It's all just a friendly suggestion?

8 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I wouldn't want to vote for him.  He has the charisma and trust factor of a rat.

he lacks charisma sure

but he seems more trustworthy than the alternatives in the CPC

which a low bar, but you don't have to be Usain Bolt when racing against toddlers

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

If the CPC is interested in winning an election they won't nominate Pierre.

indeed

but winning elections is overrated

when the only way to win

is being just like the party you beat in the election

offering no meaningful change in governance whatsoever

and even then you usually lose

what good is that?

Edited by Yzermandius19

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

indeed

but winning elections is overrated

when the only way to win

is being just like the party you beat in the election

offering no meaningful change in governance whatsoever

and even then you usually lose

what good is that?

Well the CPC has had basically zero legislative power since Trudeau's Libs first won in 2015, so what good is that?

Sticking to your principles when the vast majority of Canadians don't agree with them is a ticket to nowhere.  Just ask the NDP and Greens.

A federal party should want to represent Canadians, not themselves.  Their job is literally to be the elected representatives of the voters.  If voters don't like what you're selling then change the product.

The CPC sucks, it's filled with loons.  Canada needs a moderate party badly, or even a return of the PC's and leave the loons behind.  Like go vet your candidates FFS.

On 2/2/2022 at 10:05 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

Erin O'Toole has been removed by a vote of the caucus. Who should replace him. I suspect anyone who could beat Prime Minister Trudeau wouldn't touch the CPC leadership with a 3.5 metre pole.

I feel the same way.It doesn't matter who will replace his as the party is a toast.

The problem is we have no other viable party if we want to remove Trudeau.

1 hour ago, Yzermandius19 said:

your own definition doesn't agree with you

nowhere in the definition of mandate does it say it's not force

nowhere in the definition of force does it say a mandate isn't force

That's funny because nowhere in either definition does it say it's the other.  In any case I think its only on planet Htrae that people use dictionaries to find out what words don't mean.

Now I understand why you kept insisting the other day that the word listen means speak.

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

No he didn't.  Laws spell out the requirement(s) to behave according to society's rules and fines or the threat of violence (arrest and jail) are consequences for choosing not to follow them. That's how the law works.

It's not a cop fastening your seat-belt and its pure sophistry to say mandate = force because it just ain't true.

Vaccine mandates are like forced confessions.  It’s not an honest choice when coercion is used.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Vaccine mandates are like forced confessions.  It’s not an honest choice when coercion is used.  

No they're just the shits is all, but they're a choice nonetheless.

Show me anyone who's been vaccinated in the same way stubborn 4 year olds often find themselves being strapped into a car. 

Edited by eyeball

38 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Well the CPC has had basically zero legislative power since Trudeau's Libs first won in 2015, so what good is that?

Sticking to your principles when the vast majority of Canadians don't agree with them is a ticket to nowhere.  Just ask the NDP and Greens.

A federal party should want to represent Canadians, not themselves.  Their job is literally to be the elected representatives of the voters.  If voters don't like what you're selling then change the product.

The CPC sucks, it's filled with loons.  Canada needs a moderate party badly, or even a return of the PC's and leave the loons behind.  Like go vet your candidates FFS.

the vast majority of Canadians agree with the NDP and the Greens

they just agree with the Liberals more

Canadians consider moderates to be far right white supremacist insurrectionists

so that party would have as much chance to win as the PPC and would be tarred with the same demonizations

compromising with the far left just means you give them some of what they want

and they give you nothing you want

then they'll ask for more after you give them what they want

and each time you cave, that just encourages them to keep asking

while giving nothing in return

it's a garbage plan

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No they're just the shits is all, but they're a choice nonetheless.

Show me anyone who's been vaccinated in the same way stubborn 4 year olds often find themselves being strapped into a car. 

show me any four year olds who lose their jobs unless they do it

both are still force

you agreeing with the force used doesn't make it not force

11 minutes ago, cougar said:

I read on CBC today in the body of their new propaganda article that the "vaccine helps fight the spread of the virus"

The hypocrisy blows me away.

Literally nobody is at CBC anymore. You go there and there's maybe a 1,000 people off peak...a bit more on peak. They banned pretty much all their conservative commentators leaving a rather obvious echo chamber that even the lefty regulars have noticed. No 'Trumpers' to yell at endlessly...they get bored fast.

• Like 1

Folks, 

Please avoid thread drift. 

There are good discussion topics here but they are different enough to deserve the attention of a separate thread.  Do not feed any of these divergent topics any longer in this here thread. 

Members who honestly wish to discuss any divergent topic will demonstrate their intent by starting a new thread.  Nobody else should expect any more diplomacy. 

9 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

the vast majority of Canadians agree with the NDP and the Greens

they just agree with the Liberals more

Canadians consider moderates to be far right white supremacist insurrectionists

so that party would have as much chance to win as the PPC and would be tarred with the same demonizations

compromising with the far left just means you give them some of what they want

and they give you nothing you want

then they'll ask for more after you give them what they want

and each time you cave, that just encourages them to keep asking

while giving nothing in return

it's a garbage plan

I have to admit that Canada may be too far gone to the radical left.  It’s especially bad in the media, where there’s a clear disconnect between the intelligentsia and the common working people.  Listen to the way Heather Mallick of the Toronto Star describes the protesters:

And I’ve called them “little men” but they’re not. They dress like moonshiners, like paintballers, in the most unflattering parkas I’ve seen this winter. Collectively, they look like a batch of mashed potatoes demanding to run the country. It’s a cry for help.”

We’re realizing that a large segment of our government and media think that the essential workers who have farmed and brought food to our tables throughout the pandemic really are losers.  Of course, these same elites probably wouldn’t defend their country if it was under attack or help their neighbours dig out in a snow storm. They’re too precious for that.  This is why I hope the protests grow and the general public sends a clear reminder that Justin Trudeau’s rule is only supported by a third of the country (according to polls).

I’ve never seen newspapers and broadcasters produce such biased “journalism.’  As they said in the Soviet Union about the two major newspapers, “There’s no truth (Pravda) in the news (Izvestia) and there’s no news (Izvestia) in the truth (Pravda).”  I do think that hardworking Canadians have good BS detectors.  They know when the rules are unfair and our Charter rights are being violated without reasonable justification.

Edited by Zeitgeist

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

They dress like moonshiners, like paintballers, in the most unflattering parkas I’ve seen this winter. Collectively, they look like a batch of mashed potatoes demanding to run the country. It’s a cry for help.”

Damn those truckers and their poor fashion choices. ?

55 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I have to admit that Canada may be too far gone to the radical left.

20 years ago I felt the same as you but the other way. I was concerned we'd be sliding down the same right-wing rat hole the US is descending into.  Thankfully it's provided a good reason for Canadians to give pause to consider. 

I know you don't believe it but I don't want to sic a left wing tyrant on you or mandate it climb on your back or make your life miserable.  You know all that stuff I say about outlawing in-camera lobbying, if it was up to me I'd souveil governments to an even greater extent than they surveil us. I'd souveil left-wing governments even more closely for the simple reason I wouldn't want them cocking things up by committing overtly stupid or corrupt things that might cause a populist backlash, especially a right-wing one.

In the meantime you'll have to forgive me for being amused at the authoritarian personality you poor deluded fools ascribe to me.  You'd be surprised at the freebooting get-the-fuck-off-my-back spirit I actually possess. There is zero doubt in my mind any government you'd put in place would just as happily squelch that spirit as Trudeau's.  In China, Russia or any number of other dictatorships our governments accommodate and are more than happy to do business with I'd be disappeared just on general principles.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cougar said:

I read on CBC today in the body of their new propaganda article that the "vaccine helps fight the spread of the virus"

The hypocrisy blows me away.

It does due to the reduced viral loads carried by infected vaccinated. Reported in a lot more places than the CBC.https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/31/the-new-omicron-subvariant-is-more-contagious-but-vaccinated-people-are-less-likely-to-spread-it-study-finds.html