Trucker's Convoy

West

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

3. Authoritarianism - if we had this then there's no way that trucks would be allowed to drive around breaking the law with F*** Trudeau banners.  Hysterical reactionism calls our way of live authoritarian, and it denigrates all the work it took to put this country together.
4. Well, yeah, they have been threatened and attacked before.  Again, if it were authoritarian then the trucks would be flat under tank treads.

It's incrementally heading that way. The government implemented new laws at the start of the pandemic to give non-democratic powers to a position called the Top Health Authority, or something.

Yes, it's an emergency, but democracy needs to be protected before it goes too far. This has to be done before citizens get flattened under the treads of tank wheels. Thats why I think these people are speaking out now.

• Like 1

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

Didn't we hear that you still can't truck across the border without being vaccinated ?

Yes that’s correct.  The mandate against truckers was brought in by Biden after Trudeau brought it in.  Tit for tat.  We have our great leader to thank for imposing more violations of rights on our population.  

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

It's incrementally heading that way. The government implemented new laws at the start of the pandemic to give non-democratic powers to a position called the Top Health Authority, or something.

Yes, it's an emergency, but democracy needs to be protected before it goes too far. This has to be done before citizens get flattened under the treads of tank wheels. Thats why I think these people are speaking out now.

It reminds me of a tyrant’s desperate attempt to slam the door against opponents before climbing onto the roof to catch the helicopter and flee.  To bring in mandates now when Covid restrictions and mandates, including masking and vaccine passports, are being eliminated in Britain, Ireland, Denmark, France, most US states, and in other modern western democracies is oblique and radical.  The Charter is so violated that the country faces an unprecedented constitutional crisis.  I’m not sure Canada will emerge from this as a free society.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Didn't we hear that you still can't truck across the border without being vaccinated ?

Plus, the Canadian government is planning to go further and implement interprovincial trucking mandates. As explained on CBC today and in my earlier post.

That's something new coming up, and nothing to do with USA.

14 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. It's incrementally heading that way. The government implemented new laws at the start of the pandemic to give non-democratic powers to a position called the Top Health Authority, or something.

2. Yes, it's an emergency, but democracy needs to be protected before it goes too far. This has to be done before citizens get flattened under the treads of tank wheels. Thats why I think these people are speaking out now.

1. 2. Hyperbole, and exaggeration.  It was only a few years ago that the left was saying the same thing about Harper's anti terrorism legislation.  That authoritarian result didn't come to pass.  If government wanted to be autocratic there are already mechanisms in place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonbox said:

I don't see the point you're trying to make.  

If 50% of the cases or hospitalizations are coming from the 10% of the population that's not vaccinated, then this is pretty easy math.  That there may be infected vaccinated people moving about without symptoms is almost certain, but that's the whole point.  Asymptomatic "patients" are far less infectious and are far less likely to need treatment or end up in a hospital. 

You didn't say "asymptomatic." You said "unhealthy." You were more accurate before you backtracked. Vaccinated would be more likely to self-deal because they'd feel they could and as you pointed out even if that's not the case the numbers would demand it. Also, as I understand the asymptomatic versus argument can ask where the line starts of symptoms appearing or not yet still being contagious. Then there's the 2 weeks after the jab were you're jabbed but listed as unjabbed. Wouldn't your "easy math" still apply?

Get it yet, or would you like to use the next few pages having it explained to you? How about you Mikey the math whiz? Need some more help? You guys are much more likely to infect us.

14 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

. 2. Hyperbole, and exaggeration. 

Not and not by far. When a state owned news channel claims instigation by a foreign agent without a shred of evidence, this is not just fear, exaggeration of possible authoritarianism but what real authoritarian regimes in fact do. Russia and China do that routinely, are we doing it now too?

And we are only one step from where. We may be already there, just need to locate the evidence.

Edited by myata

20 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. 2. Hyperbole, and exaggeration.  It was only a few years ago that the left was saying the same thing about Harper's anti terrorism legislation.  That authoritarian result didn't come to pass.  If government wanted to be autocratic there are already mechanisms in place.

You live in a de facto totalitarian society right now.  This is the phenomenon of the frog in the pot of water that is slowly brought to a boil.  You cannot access basic freedoms without a digital passport.  You can lose your job without this.  Our restaurants and arenas are closed. We must wear masks indoors and cannot gather in groups. Our Charter is routinely ignored without debate through executive orders.  Arbitrary rule by fiat. The mental health and well-being of our children and elderly has been seriously compromised. Our government continues to violate freedoms, destroy businesses, and stomp on minorities.  This in one of the world’s most vaccinated countries.  There’s no visible exit under our current government’s approach because Covid will remain no matter how many people are vaccinated.  We must live with it as we do with the flu and restore freedoms.  There is no guarantee that restrictions and mandates will end.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Chicken and egg. Did it not come to pass despite the left's push-back, or because of it?

In any case, I'll go with criticizing the government every time. It's practically an obligation for democratic citizens to do so.

So hat's off to those braving the cold up there, I for one give support to their idea. They're speaking out, while we sit at home at the keyboard and complain, and sip fine ales!  

Cheers! ;)

Edited by OftenWrong

13 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Does if you catch it.

And if 5 times as many people are walking around feeling confident with borderline or noticeable but mild conditions, we of the numerical minority who won't comply with authoritarian rule are 5 times as likely to get it from you Covid Mary's as we are from each other. It's easy math.

21 minutes ago, myata said:

Not and not by far. When a state owned news channel claims instigation by foreign agent without a shred of evidence, this is not just fear, exaggeration of possible authoritarianism but what real authoritarian regimes in fact do. Russia and China do that routinely, are we doing it now too?

And we are only one step from where. We may be already there, just need to locate the evidence.

Oh I think Canada is very compromised by foreign influence and in real danger of being written off by our allies as unwilling to protect our constitutional democracy. It’s not a future possibility.  You’re witnessing the clash of grassroots freedom-loving regular Canadians against an elitist leadership that is totally insulated and disconnected from what essential workers face on the frontlines each day.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

Here's one for you, Aristides. The captain of the Vancouver Canucks just got back from covid protocol. He was gone for 10 days. He could have been back after 5 but Canadian border restrictions wouldn't allow it. He was trapped in America after an away game.

Here's the thing: according to him he was never symptomatic. So...are these authoritarian restrictions necessary? Because if they are how many of you CM's are walking around infecting everybody you breath at. And if they aren't there's another group being penalized by your idiotic restrictions for no apparent reason. Add them in with the naturally immune. 

And it's not just hockey players. Ever heard of Covid hotels?

• Like 1

The source has been found and it's little short of scary: CBC Power & Politics, Friday 28.01. The statement about possible Russian instigation is at 13.39 but there are allusions to forceful actions, hints of intelligence gathering and massive police presence.

This is the kind of claims that are routinely made in authoritarian countries like Iran, Russia and China, with the opposite sign. No it's not a risk, anticipation and certainly no exaggeration. We have arrived.

Edited by myata
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. Did it not come to pass despite the left's push-back, or because of it?

2. In any case, I'll go with criticizing the government every time. It's practically an obligation for democratic citizens to do so.

3. So hat's off to those braving the cold up there, I for one give support to their idea. They're speaking out, while we sit at home at the keyboard and complain, and sip fine ales!  

1. Because it was never happening in the first place.  If you think governments shouldn't respond to threats then why have governments ?  The objections to responses to terrorism or pandemics ask us to remain exposed and keep our 'freedoms'.

2. That's what I do too but sometimes you have to explain what your alternative is.  The alternative to surveillance of communication lines was to do nothing and have one less tool for our security services to use to protect us.   

3. Everybody helps in their own way.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Because it was never happening in the first place.  If you think governments shouldn't respond to threats then why have governments ?  The objections to responses to terrorism or pandemics ask us to remain exposed and keep our 'freedoms'.

Under the pretense of security, you can do whatever you want.

'Hey, I want to protect fellow Canadians from further moral decay. Let's whip the homosexuals."

"Hey, I think you are a communist threat, we'd better assassinate you or make you shut it."

"Hey, I think the sniffles have a higher death rate than usual, you have to stay home."

• Like 1

Just now, QuebecOverCanada said:

Under the pretense of security, you can do whatever you want.

'Hey, I want to protect fellow Canadians from further moral decay. Let's whip the homosexuals."

"Hey, I think you are a communist threat, we'd better assassinate you or make you shut it."

"Hey, I think the sniffles have a higher death rate than usual, you have to stay home."

Exactly.  And they have that power now, even more so after 9-11.

But now the power to mandate masks is some kind of prequel to Dictatorship ?

Not sure.. It may be a case of  the blah blah blahs.

So much for the so called Freedom Convoy!!!!!!

https://globalnews.ca/news/8543281/covid-trucker-convoy-organizers-hate/

As the convoy descends on Ottawa with the stated aim of opposing all Covid-19 mandates, anti-hate experts allege those with white nationalist and Islamophobic views don’t just represent the fringes of the movement but are among the organizers of the convoy.

“We’re saying that this is a far-right convoy because — from day one — the organizers themselves are part of the far-right mo

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

7 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

As the convoy descends on Ottawa with the stated aim of opposing all Covid-19 mandates, anti-hate experts allege those with white nationalist and Islamophobic views don’t just represent the fringes of the movement but are among the organizers of the convoy.

“We’re saying that this is a far-right convoy because — from day one — the organizers themselves are part of the far-right mo

Bullshit.

You're a race-baiter. Russia, Russia, Russia made as much sense.

Show me these "anti-hate-experts." I need a laugh.

5 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

That is NOT what the movement and its supporters represent in the least.  The game to discredit opponents is to accuse them of racism/misogyny/extremism.  Trudeau paints all opponents with the same brush.

Jagmeet Singh NDP leader plays this game too, but of course his own brother supports the freedom movement and donated $13,000 to the cause before Singh desperately asked him to rescind it.  Lol.  Sorry Singh, not going to work this time.