Breaking: Trudeau officially broke the law

Regarding Harper's knowledge of SNC-Lavalin corruption.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pm-appointed-gov-t-employee-remained-on-payroll-despite-links-to-illegal-fundraising-1.2123275

A former SNC-Lavalin executive who was appointed to Montreal’s port authority was allowed to remain on the public payroll for months, despite known links to an illegal fundraising scheme, CTV News has learned.

Former SNC-Lavalin vice-president Normand Morin was named by Prime Minister Stephen Harper to the port authority in 2006. The post paid about $25,000 a year.

It’s a job Morin held despite his alleged involvement in illegal political financing, and despite the fact that his tenure expired in September.

From 2012. .....

https://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/friends-in-low-places-2/

So far, two SNC-Lavalin executives have been sacked in apparent connection with the affair. The company is also probing $35-million worth of unexplained construction project payments, although it hasn’t said whether they are connected to Gadhafi or Libya. Investors are nervous, sending shares down by more than 25 per cent over the past month. Some are even seeking a class action lawsuit that accuses senior management of being “engaged in unlawful activities in Libya.” SNC-Lavalin has denied any wrongdoing.

It is also hardly the first time SNC-Lavalin has been swept up in such an international mess—and one that reveals an ugly side of operating in countries where corruption is common. Indeed, some experts suggest that any company working in the developing world, where personal relationships are paramount, is bound to get its hands dirty from time to time. Others, however, aren’t convinced that SNC-Lavalin tried hard enough to avoid falling into that trap in Libya.

https://canadians.org/fr/node/9367

Harper knew 1000% about SNC-Lavalin's corruption.  So this is not a liberal or conservative issue. And when people start looking at it that way, they will understand what is really going on with our government.

13 mars, 2013 - 08:39

Today the newspaper notes, "Canada spent about $10 million on security in Afghanistan at its $50-million Dahla dam project, where private security contractors were linked to allegations of corruption and involved in an armed standoff with Canadian security officials. ...The Canadian International Development Agency contracted the project to SNC-Lavalin, which was responsible for security. ...The Dahla dam was guarded in part by Watan Risk Management, a controversial Afghan security firm... The U.S. banned contracts with Watan in 2010 as part of efforts to prevent aid money from winding up in the hands of corrupt officials and the Taliban, but SNC-Lavalin maintained its ties into 2011, when it finally severed the relationship."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jody-wilson-raybould-snc-lavalin-regime-1.5248561

Wilson-Raybould said she knew there were some talks between SNC-Lavalin and the upper echelons of the Liberal government, but she didn't realize that the very idea of establishing a DPA regime came from the company itself.

"I undertook, as I was the minister of Justice, to amend the Criminal Code to bring in the new regime and provide that additional discretionary tool to prosecutors, but the extent of the relationship and engagement and the lobbying of that company — I was not aware of that and, to be honest, I find it curious that there were such detailed discussion that was not brought to my attention," Wilson-Raybould said in an interview with host Vassy Kapelos.

What a hot mess this whole thing is.

Disband SNC-Lavalin and I want to see some politicians' heads roll.   It seems that Wildon-Raybold was not aware of the extent of the dealings. She only blew the whistle on things she was aware of. And now we can see the bigger scope here.

Maybe time for some protests around the Liberals and where ever SNC-Lavalin operates.

32 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

What a hot mess this whole thing is.

What we need is the equivalent of a Jeffrey Epstein to emerge - someone who's got everything to lose by divulging what they and more importantly who else did.

Edited by eyeball

4 hours ago, dialamah said:

"Partisans" don't care how poorly their candidates behave, or how corrupt they are. 

Like you. 

On one hand you're forced to criticize Trudeau.........and yet on the other, you try to whitewash and exonerate his corruptions by bringing up Harper!  Lol.  What's Harper got to do with this?   Why don't you give us a proof of Harper's so-called corruption?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Argus said:

So you got nothing?

Nigel Wright.

Being the first ever Canadian gov to be found in contempt of Parliament and being the first ever government in the history of any Westminster system to be defeated on no-confidence because of being in contempt of parliament.

Proroguing parliament to avoid political difficulties, including difficult questions in the HoC.

31 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Nigel Wright.

Being the first ever Canadian gov to be found in contempt of Parliament and being the first ever government in the history of any Westminster system to be defeated on no-confidence because of being in contempt of parliament.

Proroguing parliament to avoid political difficulties, including difficult questions in the HoC.

Evidently you don't understand what corruption is. Proroguing parliament? Honestly!? Nor is Nigel Wright trying to use his own money to pay  back what that idiot Duffy did because it was embarrassing the government corruption. It was just dumb. As for the contempt of parliament, that was nothing but a shit vote for political purposes. It didn't involve any kind of corruption. It involved the opposition desperately digging for any and all information it could use to embarrass the government, and acting indignant when some of it wasn't forthcoming fast enough. The only reason it was unusual is that when the opposition can outvote the government it usually brings that government down. The three midgets of the opposition were just trying to embarrass the government.

Using your office to pressure the prosecutor to change her decision on prosecuting friends of yours for obvious and repeated crimes, on the other hand, definitely is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, GostHacked said:

All the Libyan bribery happened under Harper's watch. What did he do about it? Nothing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/snc-lavalin-corruption-fraud-bribery-libya-muhc-1.5010865

This below is just from ONE project here in Canada.

Regarding Libya. Harper and his government knew 100% what was going on with that company and the corruption involved.

I could not imagine what Harper did or did not know, but EVERYONE in several industries knew full well just how SNC did business and no department of Justice stepped in until the Gadaffi stuff surfaced, and it was IIRC 3 other countries that DID prosecute SNC. 

1 hour ago, Shady said:

I love how Justin Trudeau is found to have broken ethics rules, etc, and everyone is focused on Harper.  Makes total sense. :rolleyes:

I can't stand it myself. I hated how everyone talked about Chretien when Harper's behavior was in question and how Mulroney became the focus when Chretien's turn came around.

This is how corruption persists.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shady said:

I love how Justin Trudeau is found to have broken ethics rules, etc, and everyone is focused on Harper.  Makes total sense. :rolleyes:

Actually it was your assumption that Harper had no knowledge about the corruption taking place at SNC-Lavalin. I proved you factually incorrect and you are taking it as an attack on Harper.

This is a Canadian Government problem. Both the Liberals and Conservatives are to blame. But don't let this get in the way of your partisan hackery.

9 hours ago, Shady said:

I read somewhere before that it was the Harper gov't that created the law that barred companies which were convicted of crimes from bidding on federal contracts for ten years. Can't find that on google though. All that comes up is a bunch of "Harper ethics breaches" lol. 

3 hours ago, GostHacked said:

This is a Canadian Government problem. Both the Liberals and Conservatives are to blame. But don't let this get in the way of your partisan hackery.

You make it seem like Canadian liberals are desperately looking to spread the blame away from the PM. "But, but, but, Stephen Harper!"... more or less.

Come on, Harper may have known things or heard reports that may or may not have yet been substantiated. What matters is that an investigation was started, and found evidence of a crime. That alone is enough for me. The system works through due process, not by gossip, rumour, or emotional gut reaction. Once there's evidence, and certainly once charges are laid, the PM has to back off and allow due process to continue. Mr. Trudeau did not want due process to continue.

Harper can be blamed for the Liberal agenda too, Harper had nine years in power and he did absolutely nothing to roll it back when he had the chance.

One hippie chick holds up a sign saying "Stop Harper" and Harper caved on everything and hid from the Canadian media under his desk like their little bitch.

10 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

I read somewhere before that it was the Harper gov't that created the law that barred companies which were convicted of crimes from bidding on federal contracts for ten years. Can't find that on google though. All that comes up is a bunch of "Harper ethics breaches" lol. 

Thanks for reminding...I had forgotten that.

Notice that Trudeau government didn't bother following that law.   Not sure if they had to be convicted in Canada, or was conviction in the other 3 countries adequate?

Here's an article from December 2015 about the 10-year-ban against SNC and the agreement they made with the government to avoid the ban.  The negotiations for this agreement started well before the Liberals were elected, since JT took office not even a month before this story came out and governments just do not move that fast. 

Also from the article:

The previous Conservative government softened its tough anti-corruption rules for companies doing business with Ottawa in July in the face of intense criticism from business groups. The most contentious part of the rules was an inflexible 10-year contracting ban on companies charged with a long list of offences anywhere in the world, which was reduced to five years. Under the new rules, the government can also suspend a company from doing business for 18 months if it is charged with various corruption-related offences. This can occur even before a company is convicted.

2 hours ago, Shady said:

LOL, you guys are still talking about Harper! :lol:

Someone was wondering about a 10-year-ban for companies convicted of corruption, saying they couldn't find any information.  I found some information and posted it, along with the information that it wasn't all about JT "not following the law".  

Despite the desperation of partisans (of any stripe) to want to pretend that their own side has never done anything wrong, incoming governments are affected by what previous governments have done, at least for the first year or so.  

13 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

October 21st . . . . please vote !

I intend to, though I'm not voting for Scheer or Bernier.  That leaves me May, Singh or Trudeau.   I'd be fine with a minority gov, either Conservatives or Liberals, this time around, Liberals need some humility and I don't want Conservatives to have unfettered power - history does suggest there are advantages to minority governments.

If only Michael Chong had been elected leader of Conservatives; I very likely have voted for him last time and potentially this time.

16 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

You make it seem like Canadian liberals are desperately looking to spread the blame away from the PM. "But, but, but, Stephen Harper!"... more or less.

Again this is partisan hackery thinking. I've complained more about Trudeau than Harper regarding SNC-Lavalin.

Go here to understand that.