Breaking: Trudeau officially broke the law

Just now, GostHacked said:

Harper bears some blame here as well. SNC-Lavalin was in Libya when Harper was PM.

Harper was PM from 2006 to 2015.  He had a decade to deal with SNC-Lavalin. But that obviously was a failure.

https://business.financialpost.com/news/rcmp-charges-snc-lavalin-with-fraud-and-corruption-linked-to-libyan-projects

Again the issue with SNC-Lavalin is not a Liberal or a Conservative problem. It is a government problem as both parties have allowed SNC to get to this stage. This ia 20-30 year old problem that the government allows to continue no matter who is in power.

JT tried to rig the courts to get his buddies out of legal trouble. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

JT tried to rig the courts to get his buddies out of legal trouble. 

True, but this shows that the government on the whole is responsible for SNC-Lavalin to be as corrupt as they are.  They all get blame. Trudeau, Harper, Martin, Chretien, Mulroney.  ALL of them are to blame.

43 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Harper bears some blame here as well. SNC-Lavalin was in Libya when Harper was PM.

Harper was PM from 2006 to 2015.  He had a decade to deal with SNC-Lavalin. But that obviously was a failure.

How so... the RCMP did not lay charges against SNC Lavalin until 2015. And what do you mean, "deal with SNC-Lavalin"? That is not the PM's job. That's what the legal system and courts are for. Please explain how you think Harper was responsible and could have dealt with it under his tenure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

True, but this shows that the government on the whole is responsible for SNC-Lavalin to be as corrupt as they are.  They all get blame. Trudeau, Harper, Martin, Chretien, Mulroney.  ALL of them are to blame.

That could very well be true yes.  Luckily Harper, as much as he's a corrupt leader himself, passed the Conflict of Interest Act coming off the whole Gomery scandal before he truly got drunk with power.

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

That could very well be true yes.  Luckily Harper, as much as he's a corrupt leader himself, passed the Conflict of Interest Act coming off the whole Gomery scandal before he truly got drunk with power.

How was Harper a corrupt leader?

11 hours ago, Argus said:

Anyone catch his press conference? He says he accepts full responsibility then goes on to say he did nothing wrong, really, and so has no intention of apologizing.

Give him a break... the guy is still trying to figure how he drinks water. From where and placed in what. It's all very confusing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

We survived Harper's corruption.  No doubt we'll survive JT as well. 

Will we though? I'm pretty sure a lot of the acrimony increasingly polarizing our world owes itself to years of this sort of corruption. You can only sweep stuff under a rug for so long. Eventually there will be a breaking point. 

13 hours ago, Argus said:

How was Harper a corrupt leader?

All the Libyan bribery happened under Harper's watch. What did he do about it? Nothing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/snc-lavalin-corruption-fraud-bribery-libya-muhc-1.5010865

This below is just from ONE project here in Canada.

CEO Pierre Duhaime: Forced to resign in 2012 over audit issues, he was arrested later that year. Police alleged he ordered secret payments to a shell company to help SNC-Lavalin win the MUHC contract. On Feb. 1, Duhaime pleaded guilty to helping a public servant commit breach of trust. He admitted that he was told one of his employees was in communication with an MUHC employee just as SNC was trying to win the contract. By not looking into that, he committed a crime. Fourteen other charges against him were withdrawn, and the Agreed Statement of Facts says Duhaime did not know about or authorize the bribes.

Executive VP of Construction Riadh Ben Aïssa: After resigning in 2012, he was charged in 2014 with 16 counts, including fraud, for allegedly ordering $22.5 million in kickbacks to help SNC-Lavalin win the MUHC contract. In July 2018, he pleaded guilty to one charge of using a forged document. Fifteen other charges against him were dropped.

VP Stéphane Roy: Resigned in 2012, he was arrested in 2014 over what police called a vast conspiracy to pay commissions to hospital officials to win the MUHC contract. He was acquitted of the charges in July 2018.

Regarding Libya. Harper and his government knew 100% what was going on with that company and the corruption involved.

Police alleged that between 2001 and 2011, the company offered Libyan government officials under the Moammar Gadhafi regime bribes worth $47.7 million to influence decisions.

It also charged that during the same time frame, the company defrauded the Libyan government and other entities of "property, money or valuable security or service" worth approximately $129.8 million.

Three former SNC-Lavalin employees were charged: Ben Aïssa and Roy, as well as Sami Bébawi, who had been an executive in SNC's construction division.

Ben Aïssa, whom SNC-Lavalin characterized as a rogue employee, was arrested in Switzerland in April 2012 and charged with fraud, corruption and money laundering, all stemming from SNC-Lavalin business in Libya. He spent 29 months in jail there, but eventually struck a deal. Ben Aissa acknowledged in court that he bribed Saadi Gadhafi, the late dictator's son, so that SNC-Lavalin could win contracts.

4 hours ago, GostHacked said:

All the Libyan bribery happened under Harper's watch. What did he do about it? Nothing.

There's no evidence he knew a thing about it, nor that any of it involved his government. The accusation is idiotic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dialamah said:

You know, it pisses me off that people have so little regard for corruption they're desperately looking for an excuse whenever their party engages in it. Nothing on that cite by the Red Star indicates corruption by the Harper government. Do you not even understand what it means? Do you need it explained to you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, GostHacked said:

Regarding Libya. Harper and his government knew 100% what was going on with that company and the corruption involved.

I recall having it 'splained to me by self-described adults at the time that this is what Canadian companies had to do to compete in the world.  These little lessons in realpolitik were usually attended by condescending pat's on the head and rolly-eye emoticons to one another.

5 minutes ago, Argus said:

You know, it pisses me off that people have so little regard for corruption they're desperately looking for an excuse whenever their party engages in it. Nothing on that cite by the Red Star indicates corruption by the Harper government. Do you not even understand what it means? Do you need it explained to you?

I've already criticized JT on this issue.  I'm now thinking if switching my vote to NDP.

Don't you find Betsy's handwringing and cries of disaster if JT gets in again a bit partisan?

6 hours ago, dialamah said:

Put your money where your mouth is!  

Show me the proof that Harper had done some corruptions like the blatant corruptions done by Trudeau (we've now got the proof)!

Lol.   Your boy couldn't keep from making senseless statement  with this report that has just come out.  

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Don't you find Betsy's handwringing and cries of disaster if JT gets in again a bit partisan?

How is it partisan?   Because I'm a conservative criticizing Trudeau?

Don't you have any inkling why I said what i said?   If people don't care enough about corruptions happening?   What that means to this country?

1 minute ago, betsy said:

How is it partisan?   Because I'm a conservative criticizing Trudeau?

Don't you have any inkling why I said what i said?   If people don't care enough about corruptions happening?   What that means to this country?

"Partisans" don't care how poorly their candidates behave, or how corrupt they are.  The rest of us do.  

15 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

How would he not know about it? That information regarding Libya was known at that time. It's not new information.

A private company did something while Harper was PM, so he's responsible?  As has already been stated, your assertion is idiotic.

• Like 1