FN Woke-ism . . . where will it end.

B.C. high school students will soon be required to take courses about Indigenous cultures and histories  in order to graduate.

The new requirement is expected to take effect in the 2023 - 2024 school year, which means students who are currently in Grade 10 will be the first group to experience this curriculum change.

Edited by Nefarious Banana
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

What’s the issue?  Learning about the people who were here before Canada seems like a pretty normal thing.   Why hasn’t this been a part of the curriculum already?

It was.... We learned about such things too decades ago.

This is about reactionary Chuds never giving an inch on ANYTHING that a non-Chud might suggest for education in civics and true community values.

We should engage with them enough to say "thanks for your opinion, now you have had your say"

• Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 8:18 AM, Michael Hardner said:

It was.... We learned about such things too decades ago.

This is about reactionary Chuds never giving an inch on ANYTHING that a non-Chud might suggest for education in civics and true community values.

We should engage with them enough to say "thanks for your opinion, now you have had your say"

Thanks for illustrating your ignorance once again, your reply to this thread is completely worthless.

This isn't about "a bit of FN study within a Social Studies course", it's an entire FN course of its own:

Provincial Courses:

• B.C. First Peoples 12
    • Peuples autochtones de la Colombie-Britannique 12
  • Contemporary Indigenous Studies 12
    • Études autochtones contemporaines 12
  • English First Peoples – Literary Studies 10*
  • English First Peoples – New Media 10*
  • English First Peoples – Spoken Language 10*
  • English First Peoples – Writing 10*
  • English First Peoples – Literary Studies + New Media 11
  • English First Peoples – Literary Studies + Spoken Language 11
  • English First Peoples – Literary Studies + Writing 11
  • English First Peoples 12

*denotes a 2-credit course (meets half the requirement)

First Nations Language Courses (Grade 10-12 level):

• Gitxsenimx ~ Gitxsanimax 5 to 12 and Introductory Gitxsenimx ~ Gitxsanimax 11
  • Halq'eméylem 5 to 12 and Introductory Halq'eméylem 11
  • Heiltsuk 5 to 12 and Introductory Heiltsuk 11
  • Hul'q'umi'num' 5 to 12 and Introductory Hul'q'umi'num' 11
  • Kwak’wala 5 to 12 and Introductory Kwak’wala 11
  • Liqwala/Kwak'wala 5 to 12 and Introductory Liqwala/Kwak'wala 11
  • nsíylxcən 5 to 12 and Introductory nsíylxc¿n 11
  • Nte?kepmxcin 5 to 12 and Introductory Nte?kepmxcin 11
  • Nuučaan̓uɫ 5 to 12 and Introductory Nuucaan¿u¿ 11
  • Secwepemctsin (Shuswap Language) 5 to 12 and Introductory Secwepemctsin 11
  • SENĆOŦEN 5 to 12 and Introductory SENCOTEN 11
  • Shashishalhem (Sechelt Language) 5 to 12 and Introductory Shashishalhem 11
  • Sim'algaxhl Nisga'a 5 to 12 and Introductory Sim'algaxhl Nisga'a 11
  • Sm'algyax 5 to 12 and Introductory Sm'algyax 11
  • St̓át̓y̓emcets 5 to 12 and Introductory St¿a´t¿y¿emcets 11
  • Tsek'ene 5 to 12 and Introductory Tsek'ene 11
  • Upper St’at’imcets 5 to 12 and Introductory Upper St’at’imcets 11
  • Xaayda Kil / Xaad Kil Grades 5 to 12 and Introductory Xaayda Kil / Xaad Kil 11

I dunno how I ever got by in this world without speaking any Secwepemctsin. That class is such a valuable part of the new curriculum. 

• Thanks 2

The devil is in the details.

We did a fair bit of FN studies when i was a kid - very interesting and very educational.  We had FN chiefs come to speak, went to the FN interactive exhibits at the planetarium (where i first learned just how hard it is to boil water by heating rocks )  and all in all a solid and eye opening look at the stories and history of what life was like.

I worry that today it will all be "whitey stole our land and owes us money".  Which seems to be what FN's consider 'education' from what i've heard. 

I hope i'm wrong.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well... we learned Latin...

And has that been a lasting benefit to you, or just a class that will never earn a dime for you.  The First Immigrant 'cultures & industries' required study program is wasted time.  Learn something that will help you earn a living, rather than learn how holding out your hand and receiving 'a living' with no responsibility or drive  . . . . 

In the 1960s we leaned which side certain bands were on in wars and that residential schools were just like the Catholic boarding schools our cousins went to. And every damn thing about European history.
Growing up in the Lower Mainland, I always wondered how the 1/4 of the class that was Chinese felt learning their history didn't even exist.

Oh yeah, we learned about the Hanging Judge and 6 Chiefs that got hung for murdering settlers. Just to discover 20 years later it was some natives who retaliated for miners raping their women and they hung the wrong people...
So I say qwicherbichin and teach kids the history of their own country.

6 minutes ago, herbie said:

In the 1960s we leaned which side certain bands were on in wars and that residential schools were just like the Catholic boarding schools our cousins went to. And every damn thing about European history.
Growing up in the Lower Mainland, I always wondered how the 1/4 of the class that was Chinese felt learning their history didn't even exist.

Oh yeah, we learned about the Hanging Judge and 6 Chiefs that got hung for murdering settlers. Just to discover 20 years later it was some natives who retaliated for miners raping their women and they hung the wrong people...
So I say qwicherbichin and teach kids the history of their own country.

Dumb post.  Time to move forward and quit living in the past for financial gain. Unless they teach both sides of the story.

Will students be taught the truth?

”First Nations” are in fact Mongoloid descendants of Asian immigrants by way of the NW Passage when then a land bridge.

The Western Hemisphere was populated from north to south as proven by human remains, tools, etc. - a scientific fact the descendants of immigrants won’t discuss.

We are ALL descendants of immigrants. Nobody descended from spirits.

On 9/13/2023 at 7:41 AM, Nefarious Banana said:

B.C. high school students will soon be required to take courses about Indigenous cultures and histories  in order to graduate.

The new requirement is expected to take effect in the 2023 - 2024 school year, which means students who are currently in Grade 10 will be the first group to experience this curriculum change.

What also bothers me is when I go into places and start seeing road and traffic signs that none of us can read.  Then there were articles on CBC containing band names written in strange alphabet that nobody can read!

WTF !!

Am I allowed to communicate with the Canadian government and the public in my native language ?   Maybe next time I file my tax return , I do everything in Cyrillic !!

Edited by cougar
  • Like 1

And what bother me is someone declaring that wanting a more complete and accurate teaching of history is "wokeness". That "woke" is merely a dogwhistle for the extreme right for anything they don't like - as "left" has become to them. How any attempt by any overlooked demographic for acknowledgement of their existence is 'wokeness' and provokes the usual arseholic and childish  retort of No! They are discriminating against the rest of us!

17 hours ago, CdnFox said:

So it pissed you off?

And although you sometimes make good points that even I agree with, you can't stop with the childish responses. I know you are but what am I is what one would expect in a debate among 10 yr olds.
Or Donald Trump...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, herbie said:

And what bother me is someone declaring that wanting a more complete and accurate teaching of history is "wokeness". That "woke" is merely a dogwhistle for the extreme right for anything they don't like - as "left" has become to them. How any attempt by any overlooked demographic for acknowledgement of their existence is 'wokeness' and provokes the usual arseholic and childish  retort of No! They are discriminating against the rest of us!

Nope - woke is a reference to far left policies that are based on irrational and often racist concepts which have no basis in reason.  the idea of welfare for those who are unable to work is left wing. The idea of reparations to people who have never been slaves, and whos grandparents weren't even slaves, based on the idea that all white people are guilty of it even if they never owned slaves or even if their families didn't live in america at the time is woke.  :)

Dismissing it because you can't address the actual issue is kind of childish.

And although you sometimes make good points that even I agree with, you can't stop with the childish responses.

It's generally an indication that you're behaving like a child.

I know you are but what am I is what one would expect in a debate among 10 yr olds.
Or Donald Trump...

I tend to speak to the intellectual level of the intended recipient :)    Given your comment it was entirely appropriate.

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

The idea of reparations to people who have never been slaves, and whos grandparents weren't even slaves, based on the idea that all white people are guilty of it even if they never owned slaves or even if their families didn't live in america at the time is woke.  :)

One consideration is missing in the above logic. 

Imagine the FN's had an equal start or were even far ahead in whatever the game was; then they were pushed back so far that they never ever managed to catch up.   Now the offspring of those who pushed them back are claiming they are in no way responsible.

The final result though is that FN's offspring were left far behind while the whites continue to enjoy privileges facilitated by their ancestors.

On 9/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, TreeBeard said:

What’s the issue?  Learning about the people who were here before Canada seems like a pretty normal thing.   Why hasn’t this been a part of the curriculum already?

I'm pretty sure the course will be only loosely based on history, and be stepped in guilt-mongering about how we 'stole' the land from the poor, innocent, peaceful, noble natives. There'll be nothing there, I'm sure, about slave taking among the natives, or their habit of brutalizing and torturing each other. Instead the kiddies will be treated to the 'noble savage' myth and then the teacher, sobbing through her hands, will talk about how we persecuted and genocided them while making some of them go to school. Then the class will all join hands to denounce capitalism, Western imperialism, and sing Oh, Canada, our home on stolen land" together.

And then Hardner will smile and say "I love it!" and then "By the way, I'm a conservative you know!"

On 9/18/2023 at 7:35 PM, Michael Hardner said:

Well... we learned Latin...

Maybe if you went to a snooty private school with Singh and Trudeau.

1 hour ago, cougar said:

What also bothers me is when I go into places and start seeing road and traffic signs that none of us can read.  Then there were articles on CBC containing band names written in strange alphabet that nobody can read!

WTF !!

Am I allowed to communicate with the Canadian government and the public in my native language ?   Maybe next time I file my tax return , I do everything in Cyrillic !!

Your first post that you and I agree on something  . . . . therefore, your first intelligent post?  :)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Your first post that you and I agree on something  . . . . therefore, your first intelligent post?  :)

This is probably good indication that I had taken the wrong position this time.?

• Haha 3