The Left is Destroying Western Civilization

14 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Which Canadian values/rights are biblical?  

Free expression?  Nope. 
Religious freedom?   Nope. 
Minority rights, like gay people, for instance?   Nope. 
Equality of women?  Nope. 
Voting rights?  Nope. 

Which ones?

You clearly don’t know much about theology.  All people are created in the image of God. 

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2023 at 8:10 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Moonbox didn't attack the poster, he attacked the posts and the lack of thought and effort behind them.  "Because your posts are a waste of time."

There are no participation trophies for posting.  Post well or leave, I say.  If I disagree enough to give a lengthy response, then congratulations you have probably made a great post that I disagreed with.

Who is the arbiter of "good posting"?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

On 2/14/2023 at 12:09 PM, ExFlyer said:

"Political correctness (or cancel culture as we call it today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Harry S Truman. 1941

I guess it must be this quote that prompted Oftenwrong to give you a 'like'. It's a good quote alright but I think an awful lot of people read too much into a act of what is really just a desire to be polite.

I can certainly admit that desire has gotten harder to maintain over time.

image.thumb.png.a49c5f72b0a342ec944c4277dadcd30c.png

18 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

People should not be allowed to spam threads with tons of off-topic material. Some minor variance is fine, but the general intention needs to be to stay on topic.

If your post has no relevance to the thread topic, you need to rethink that and not send it.

I had salad for lunch today.

37 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I guess it must be this quote that prompted Oftenwrong to give you a 'like'. It's a good quote alright but I think an awful lot of people read too much into a act of what is really just a desire to be polite.

I can certainly admit that desire has gotten harder to maintain over time.

As you insinuating that political correctness or the cancel culture are an act of politeness??

22 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

As you insinuating that political correctness or the cancel culture are an act of politeness??

I think political correctness got it's start that way but politics being what it is turned it into a caricature of itself.

Cancel culture is just politics.

Edited by eyeball

5 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

You clearly don’t know much about rights, if you think they came from the bible. 

Without the Bible you probably wouldn’t have the laws and institutions that ushered in our rights and freedoms, which are based quite heavily on Judeo-Christian values. They derive from the Commandments and customs of the Levant and the story of the liberation of the Israelites, who become generalized to the people in the New Testament.

Your ignorance is staggering, but it illustrates how ignorant many people are about the origins of our civilization and why so many revolutionaries think that it should be torn down.

Actually it’s not just our civilization’s institutions, whether republic or constitutional monarchy, that derive from Biblical scripture and cultural history from the stories of Genesis to Exodus and the rest of the Pentateuch through to the prophets and New Testament gospels, letters, etc. The anti-slavery movements of liberation relate closely to stories of Babylonian, Persian, Egyptian. and Roman captivity/enslavement.

In fact, much of what you are drawing on in the unusual instances when your criticisms are intelligible derive from Biblical values.  Many early Biblical stories are found in multiple religions, sometimes with modifications.  Three major world religions share the Old Testament.

But in your supposedly sensible modern and “progressive” opinion none of that Great Code has value and it doesn’t inform our culture.

Read Dante, Milton, Spencer, St. Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, and pretty much everything written in the West in the past 2000 years and you’ll see the origins.  Israel also carried on important Hellenic traditions that derive from the earliest democracies in Greek city states.

The main reason I have such disdain for your comments is their uninformed dismissiveness.   You exemplify the nihilism and ignorance that’s basically running roughshod over much of what is valuable in Canada today.

But you know, down with the patriarchy and all that.  You won’t figure it out until you’re enslaved hoping someone will cry, “Let my people go.”  Because so many younger people don’t know their origins today, I can see real hardships ahead.  A society that doesn’t know its history is doomed to repeat it.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, eyeball said:

I think political correctness got it's start that way but politics being what it is turned it into a caricature of itself.

Cancel culture is just politics.

On a personal level maybe.  Social media handed the power to moralize back to the people.  They're going to be fighting over public vs private morality for awhile.

Edited by Michael Hardner

Another example of how universities have lost their minds over identity war issues. In this case UBC's medical school.

You can study HIV in gay males—but your research sample must include females who have anal sex. You can study health outcomes in new fathers—but only if you agree that some fathers gestated and birthed their offspring. You also can study sexual violence inside of women’s prisons—but you must include those who currently, formerly, or occasionally “identify” as a woman.

Each of these examples reflects actual guidance for researchers at the University of British Columbia (UBC) Faculty of Medicine, one of Canada’s top medical schools. The document in which they’re contained, Gender & Sex in Methods & Measurement: Research Equity Toolkit, offers a case study in the process by which ideologically-driven pedagogical mandates associated with DEI—diversity, equity, and inclusion—are metastasizing throughout STEM.

https://quillette.com/blog/2023/02/14/teaching-ubc-medical-students-that-biological-sex-is-a-colonial-imposition/

I thought people wanted to know about these things?

Anyway, can we have a truce on this topic that some of these things sound outlandish but overall it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things?

Kind of like the mistaken souls who repeat the joke that children are being accommodated when they identify as cats?  It's not true but it doesn't matter anyway.

3 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Another example of how universities have lost their minds over identity war issues. In this case UBC's medical school.

You can study HIV in gay males—but your research sample must include females who have anal sex. You can study health outcomes in new fathers—but only if you agree that some fathers gestated and birthed their offspring. You also can study sexual violence inside of women’s prisons—but you must include those who currently, formerly, or occasionally “identify” as a woman.

Each of these examples reflects actual guidance for researchers at the University of British Columbia (UBC) Faculty of Medicine, one of Canada’s top medical schools. The document in which they’re contained, Gender & Sex in Methods & Measurement: Research Equity Toolkit, offers a case study in the process by which ideologically-driven pedagogical mandates associated with DEI—diversity, equity, and inclusion—are metastasizing throughout STEM.

https://quillette.com/blog/2023/02/14/teaching-ubc-medical-students-that-biological-sex-is-a-colonial-imposition/

It’s the collapse of education.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

5 minutes ago, herbie said:

OMG you need to include females in a study of gay males? Gee, show us again how intelligent you are.

uhhh.. they forgot to include the cows in the field in their report on Nesting Habits of Eagles...

Now apply your superior wisdom to his next example of policy insanity.

You can study health outcomes in new fathers—but only if you agree that some fathers gestated and birthed their offspring.

You know if you try I'm going to make you admit women can't be fathers, right? ;)

On 2/18/2023 at 2:59 PM, Moonbox said:

So you're a fan of fiscal conservatism, but not if it was from a formal Liberal government, because it came at a "huge cost"?  I think I'm seeing a trend here.  

Problem is that I can deconstruct your argument and show why it doesn't work, whereas you just sort of huff and puff.  

So Liberals are all about bad manners, no honor, being bad fathers and husbands?  ?

It's not black and white, and to insist that is that is demonstrates the problem with your way of thinking.  The best part is that you contradict yourself in the same sentence you say that.  

I think their is more to being a fiscal conservative than slashing everything to the bone, and doing just as much damage as he did good. Reducing deficits is but one bullet point in that definition.

Then do so, but i think your more about dragging me through the dirt than challenging my argument.

Do you like or accept when people go out of their way to lie, deceive every chance they get, or do you brush it off, accepting it as normal behavior...and regardless of what your chose is, where did that become learned behavior...was it at home, school, at work, or past political experiences...Did your parent think it was OK for you to lie to them? So why is it OK for our nations leader the highest office in the land , why is it acceptable for him and his party to do so? do you except that behavior off of co workers, employees...So ya for the most part i stand behind everything i wrote about liberals and liberal voters...It shows a huge lack of leadership, trust worthiness, honor, integrity, tradition, 

Look , here is the problem this is not some paper i passed in to be marked, you can comment all you want, but i would prefer you stay on the topic, instead of me . you either agree with it or you don't and counter it is really that easy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

I think their is more to being a fiscal conservative than slashing everything to the bone, and doing just as much damage as he did good. Reducing deficits is but one bullet point in that definition.

I've very little doubt the main distinction for you is that it was the Liberals doing the cuts, and therefore bad, because Liberalism is bad.  I'd love to hear your explanation otherwise though.  

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Then do so, but i think your more about dragging me through the dirt than challenging my argument.

That's what I have been doing, but you characterize that as "dragging you through the dirt".  ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The main reason I have such disdain for your comments is their uninformed dismissiveness.   You exemplify the nihilism and ignorance that’s basically running roughshod over much of what is valuable in Canada today.

I’m dismissive of ridiculous comments that equate values of the bible with Canadian values today.  We’re way past biblical values, which are clearly sexist, homophobic and didn’t value free expression whatsoever.  

Of course Christians were the ones who were the ancestors of our traditions…. that’s kind of obvious.  But these Christians were smart enough not to use the bible as a guide. 

Your comments on slavery are naive….  Some Christians used the bible to condemn slavery, however the bible actually condones slavery, and was used by other Christians to perpetuate the practice.  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1