Why You Should Be a Nationalist

Why You Should Be a Nationalist

It’s undeniable: Around the world, nationalism is on the march, and the media and reigning political elites would have you believe this is a dangerous disaster in the making. So, why is Yoram Hazony, author of The Virtue of Nationalism, unafraid? Watch to understand.

• Like 2

I raised to be a Canadian Nationalist

but as I studied Canadian history, the Canadian Nationalist position became nonsensical

because Canada is not a unitary state

Canada is the only Confederation of the British Empire

not one nation, but rather a collection of nations united only by the British Crown

an east west federation of British Colonies

to keep the French in, the Americans out & the Indians down

thus I ceased to be a Canadian Nationalist, as that position does not stand up to logic

I had to go much further back to find my nation

to the Glorious Revolution of 1688

to the founding of Parliamentary Supremacy, the Bill of Rights, and the first modern liberal state therein

House of Orange

• Like 1

moreover, my family came to the Americas when Canada was still France

my ancestor, Jacob Smith, press ganged at Liverpool into the Royal Navy

jumped ship at Halifax harbour

in 1757, during the Seven Years War

so we are British North Americans

was George Washington who incited the Seven Years war, by attacking the French at Jumonville Glenn in 1754

so George Washington is the father of both my nations, as a Canadian-American, or American-Canadian

my two nations don't actually get along, they are in fact each other's oldest enemies

so I am caught between two nations perpetually in conflict with each other

at the end of the day, I am an Orangeman of Upper Canada

so Upper Canada, otherwise known as Southern Ontario, is my de facto country, within the Confederation

Palmam qui meruit ferat

• Like 1

furthermore, as a Christian, you answer only to the Lord

Jesus of Nazareth

so any country which does not uphold "the supremacy of God & the rule of the law"

any country which does not defend "inalienable rights endowed by the Creator"

that country must be forsaken,

if only to save your soul, unto the next world

• Like 1

Nationalists are a minority here in Canada, besides not many could even describe what it is to be Canadian, what are our morals and values, and what is our culture. Canada is been taken over by large special interest groups that are driving all our energy, and they are not interested in our nation, but rather their own personal agendas. What we need is a dose of the right to even out the "force".

I spent 34 years as a nationalist, and it did not do me any good, except make me bitter toward Canadians. Nothing is going to change in Canada we are too far gone, best thing that could happen is we wake up one day, and find out the Americans have taken over... And the left has fled in boats... 

4 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I spent 34 years as a nationalist, and it did not do me any good, except make me bitter toward Canadians. Nothing is going to change in Canada we are too far gone, best thing that could happen is we wake up one day, and find out the Americans have taken over... And the left has fled in boats... 

Nationalism is actually un-British

the British Empire was supra nationalist

the only nation is the Crown

as British is not a race, British is not a place, British is a system of governance called Parliamentary Supremacy

founded in the Protest Enlightenment & associated Glorious Revolution of 1688

as an RCR, the regiment born to defend Confederation in 1885,  the regiment is your fartherland

Victoria Regina Imperatrix

that is Canada, that's essence of Canada

the war prize taken from France at Quebec, at the birth of the British Empire upon the Plains of Abraham

in the Seven Years War, incited by George Washington on behalf of his father's firm, the Virginia Company, in 1754

but that big building on Parliament Hill, that you look to as your capital

that was founded in 1688 by William of Orange, the Dutch Regent who became King of England in a bloodless coup

On 5/11/2022 at 7:35 AM, Nationalist said:

Well I am a Nationalist. And I agree with everything Hazony said here.

Now it's time for a complete re-birth of Nationalism. Especially in Canada. 

I thought you'd like this thread.

I am an American nationalist.
You are a Canadian nationalist.

And that is great. That is as it should be. If you and I were the leaders of our nations we could still negotiate and cooperate, because cooperation is in the best interest of the nations, and negotiations would always  be based on us each trying to get the best position for our own country. And there is nothing wrong with that.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:49 PM, Faramir said:

I am a nationalist and I believe in the supremacy of Western ideals.  So much of one that I cringe at the thought that we joined Britain in WWI just because.  We should be no one's biatch.

Well, the question there would be: Are Canadian interests best served by a Europe dominated by an authoritarian Germany and by a Great Britain defeated by that Germany? That is where you start.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:09 PM, Jack9000 said:

Lol no

Not sure what that means

Edited by Great American
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

I raised to be a Canadian Nationalist

but as I studied Canadian history, the Canadian Nationalist position became nonsensical

because Canada is not a unitary state

Canada is the only Confederation of the British Empire

not one nation, but rather a collection of nations united only by the British Crown

an east west federation of British Colonies

to keep the French in, the Americans out & the Indians down

thus I ceased to be a Canadian Nationalist, as that position does not stand up to logic

I had to go much further back to find my nation

to the Glorious Revolution of 1688

to the founding of Parliamentary Supremacy, the Bill of Rights, and the first modern liberal state therein

House of Orange

Yes I think you might go head to head with one of the posters here who is a proud Tory.  I respect his position but that this is not where I am at.  The greatest revolution behind the US one was the adoption of William of Orange as Britain's king and the overthrow of the Cavaliers.

23 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Nationalists are a minority here in Canada, besides not many could even describe what it is to be Canadian, what are our morals and values, and what is our culture. Canada is been taken over by large special interest groups that are driving all our energy, and they are not interested in our nation, but rather their own personal agendas. What we need is a dose of the right to even out the "force".

Heh I'm with you that it is hard to love Canada - or rather Canadians.  I am a nationalist as I want Laurier back.  Being a Canadian today largely is we are "not American".

1 minute ago, Faramir said:

Yes I think you might go head to head with one of the posters here who is a proud Tory.  I respect his position but that this is not where I am at.  The greatest revolution behind the US one was the adoption of William of Orange as Britain's king and the overthrow of the Cavaliers.

Tory is not a monolith

I'm a very specific type of Tory

an Ulster Scots Loyalist

Orangeman of Upper Canada

no party affiliation,  other than Glasgow Rangers Firm

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Tory is not a monolith

I'm a very specific type of Tory

an Ulster Scots Loyalist

Orangeman of Upper Canada

no party affiliation,  other than Glasgow Rangers Firm

Canadian Toryism is either one of two types:  Old school Loyalists who came from the loyalists who lost the American revolution.  And then there is red Tories, those who think big government is bad - UNLESS it is them.  

UK Toryism was a continuation of the dispute between the King's Men and free loving Brits.  You could not worship unless it was at an Anglican Church.  They oppressed Catholics and Protestants alike and desired a union of Anglicanism and the State.  They essentially thought the average Briton needed guidance not freedom.

To be fair the Tories were right about some things.  Un fettered liberalism (whigs) could go bad.  Like what happened in the French revolution.  What were once liberals became a mob opposed to anyone that looked at them the wrong way and was motivated by an extreme sense of clergy hatred.

25 minutes ago, Faramir said:

Old school Loyalists who came from the loyalists who lost the American revolution.

I am an American-Canadian

as an American, I am a Republican

but when on Canadian soil, I uphold my oaths & affirmations to Her Majesty

I married an all Canadian girl, and she will never leave Canada

so I am bound to Upper Canada, for the love of a wife, and the Queen

15 hours ago, Great American said:

I thought you'd like this thread.

I am an American nationalist.
You are a Canadian nationalist.

And that is great. That is as it should be. If you and I were the leaders of our nations we could still negotiate and cooperate, because cooperation is in the best interest of the nations, and negotiations would always  be based on us each trying to get the best position for our own country. Ad there is nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps not but the problem I have with it is that I can't trust that our negotiators aren't taking care of their own interests first. I get the deep sense that the vast VAST majority of human beings feel the same way about their governments and so I think one human nation along with one human government is the way to go. Simply for the sake of efficiency.

I'm not the least bit interested in destroying the economy, enslaving anyone or controlling their minds or sapping anyone's precious bodily fluids.  I just figure having only one national government for the planet's governed to keep an eye on would make our lives easier than trying to keep an eye on a couple hundred national governments.

Well, the question there would be: Are Canadian interests best served by a Europe dominated by an authoritarian Germany and by a Great Britain defeated by that Germany? That is where you start.

No, the future is not in the rear view mirror.

8 hours ago, eyeball said:

Perhaps not but the problem I have with it is that I can't trust that our negotiators aren't taking care of their own interests first

Negotiators should be following the lead of the nation's leader.

8 hours ago, eyeball said:

I'm not the least bit interested in destroying the economy, enslaving anyone or controlling their minds or sapping anyone's precious bodily fluids.  I just figure having only one national government for the planet's governed to keep an eye on would make our lives easier than trying to keep an eye on a couple hundred national governments.

Its sounds wonderful, but it would be a horror. People, cultures, religions, traditions, could not be served well. Hard core Muslims would immediately break away to form a government of Shariah law. Men who crave power will always exist and such a government would not last a week. Your view simply denies human nature.

I will not have someone with totally different values and beliefs than mine in China or Iran be in some authority over me., Never.

5 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Nationalism got us two world wars (and many others). Why not go for more.

Was it nationalism that got us into those wars, or the lack of it?

A pure nationalist would be an isolationist, and would just say "Let them kill each other" and get on with the business of strengthening their own country.

"The thing" that got us into two world wars is more like what's going on in Ukraine right now.

NATO wanted to flex on Russia, they wanted to get right in Russia's grill along the 2,000 km Ukrainian border. Russia isn't having it. Now it's a mess, but it's a mess that we're getting more and more involved in because...... we're not nationalists. We're "interventionists" at best, but in this case we're "assholes". 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Great American said:

Negotiators should be following the lead of the nation's leader.

So long as the leader is following the the laws of the land and the wishes of the people.

Its sounds wonderful, but it would be a horror. People, cultures, religions, traditions, could not be served well. Hard core Muslims would immediately break away to form a government of Shariah law. Men who crave power will always exist and such a government would not last a week. Your view simply denies human nature.

My view is that it's in our nature to change our nature. That's why we're civilized.

I will not have someone with totally different values and beliefs than mine in China or Iran be in some authority over me., Never.

Neither would I. I won't stand for any government or leader that is not under the authority of the law.  I'd basically do to governments what governments would do to us.

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

There is just not enough coffee to get me to weigh in on this one. ?

I think you're a pretty smart guy but you've always struck me as someone who places to much faith and trust in our institutions and the way we use them to govern ourselves.

It's like there's never enough coffee when it comes to the  idea of us governing our governments instead of the way it is now.

6 hours ago, Aristides said:

Nationalism got us two world wars (and many others). Why not go for more.

More ignorance from the woman who thinks killing children is all gravy.

Nationalism did NOT get us two world wars. In Hitler's case, is was a maniacal insane despot dictator who got us into a world war . . .  a war which, by the way, was won by a very nationalist America, and we did not keep the lands we fought for but instead gave it all back it its rightful owners.

How about just saying Thank You and then shutting up.

• Like 2