No longer a democracy

myata

On 2/15/2022 at 8:16 PM, West said:

What was it 50+ churches were torched last summer. Trudeau said it was understandable. 

A few kids jump in a bouncy castle and he calls in the military. Yeesh

No doubt if the churches had been occupied for several weeks there'd have been a different reaction.

3 minutes ago, dialamah said:

No doubt if the churches had been occupied for several weeks there'd have been a different reaction.

So a parking violation is worse than burning several churches down? 

You'd think that's a hate crime, no? Blackfaces position on that was "oh well"

6 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

It’s funny, living in Canada and watching internet feeds of non-Canadian state media reminds me of when I was living in Russia listening to Voice of America.  Canadians hear noise on Canadian media about disruptive blockades associated with extremists.  They watch selected snippets of the PM and a righteous new Ottawa police chief talk about restoring order to shut down “unlawful blockades” (that have already been cleared).  Most Canadians figure, yup they’re getting rid of the bad guys and switch back to watching the Olympics or prime time fluff.  This is how Canada has been quietly transformed into a dictatorship.  We’re living under unconstitutional policies and martial law, but just turn the channel or watch puppies on Tic Toc and all the troubles disappear.  

If you came from Russia, you should know the danger of letting a small group of unelected extremists running the so-called freedom convoy overthrow our elected government. Can you imagine a group of Texas - Alabama Trumpster red necks running Canada?

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

If you came from Russia, you should know the danger of letting a small group of unelected extremists running the so-called freedom convoy overthrow our elected government. Can you imagine a group of Texas - Alabama Trumpster red necks running Canada?

Your perspective is so dangerously supportive of tyranny that I don’t know how you can write with a straight face.  

Just now, West said:

So a parking violation is worse than burning several churches down? 

You'd think that's a hate crime, no? Blackfaces position on that was "oh well"

It's more than a parking violation; people are stuck in their homes and businesses have had to close as a result of all the vehicles that are parked there.  "Parking violation" is deliberate understating of the issue and is dishonest.

I understand the trucker's (and everyone's) frustration with mandates, but that doesn't mean I approve of the way in which these people are protesting.   

In the same way, Trudeau condemned the attacks on Churches, even as he said he understood the reasons why people were so angry.  Misstating what he said as "oh well" is dishonest.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, dialamah said:

It's more than a parking violation; people are stuck in their homes and businesses have had to close as a result of all the vehicles that are parked there.  "Parking violation" is deliberate understating of the issue and is dishonest.

I understand the trucker's (and everyone's) frustration with mandates, but that doesn't mean I approve of the way in which these people are protesting.   

In the same way, Trudeau condemned the attacks on Churches, even as he said he understood the reasons why people were so angry.  Misstating what he said as "oh well" is dishonest.

Your moment, eh? This is your big chance to see Canadians you disagree with arrested for peacefully protesting.  Good times.

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Your moment, eh? This is your big chance to see Canadians you disagree with arrested for peacefully protesting.  Good times.

Just now watching the police arrest the illegal occupiers.  Good entertainment to see Ottawa freed from a bunch of anarchists and hooligans that harassed and bullied the people of Ottawa.  They are getting their just deserts.

18 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Misstating what he said as "oh well" is dishonest.

This is the main disappointment I have with this movement - the dishonesty.  Right from Quiggin's first Tweet about 50,000 trucks I knew we'd be getting that.  The answer to the cynical and dishonest use of power from the government is not more dishonesty.

2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Just now watching the police arrest the illegal occupiers.  Good entertainment to see Ottawa freed from a bunch of anarchists and hooligans that harassed and bullied the people of Ottawa.  They are getting their just deserts.

You’re such a fool.  No reading of rights. These police are helping the government oppress Canadians.  It’s truly awful.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

20 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Trudeau can understand those who burn down churches and does nothing about it

but would rather declare martial law than speak with the Truckers who he treats like terrorists

and here you are making excuses for him

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

Trudeau can understand those who burn down churches and does nothing about it

but would rather declare martial law than speak with the Truckers who he treats like terrorists

and here you are making excuses for him

These collaborative voices are the people who would snitch on their neighbours for harbouring Jews or inform on neighbours for criticizing government under Stalin.  We’re seeing the true colours of a lot of people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

1. Trudeau can understand those who burn down churches and does nothing about it

2. but would rather declare martial law than speak with the Truckers who he treats like terrorists

3. and here you are making excuses for him

1. Trudeau condemned the Church burners, and the Feds provided money for Church security.  Local authorities would be responsible for finding and prosecuting the perpetrators.

2. I am sure there were better ways to remove the truckers than going to the extreme of invoking emergency laws; all authorities involved should have tried harder to find a less extreme solution.

3. Providing accuracy in discussion is not "making excuses".  

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

There is nothing in Canada equivalent to the American Miranda rights.

You’re wrong.  They don’t have to read the rights right now because Trudeau imposed martial law.  This is the normally required procedure:

“The arresting officer must inform the accused of the charges and their right to counsel. Typically, the officer will read from a script such as: I am arresting you for [name of offence(s)]. You have the right to retain and instruct counsel without delay.”

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

We’re seeing the true colours of a lot of people. 

Yes, we are.  Dishonesty, especially - anything that might reflect badly on this protest is not disavowed; instead, every effort is made to blame someone else.  I'm sure that the vast majority of the protesters are not interested in violence, but that doesn't mean some of them didn't have guns and weren't promoting violence.  I'm sure that many of the protesters were horrified to see Nazi flags in their midst; that doesn't mean that those who carried them were "plants" of some kind.

Disavowing the actions of extremists is honest; blaming everyone/anyone else is dishonest.

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Providing accuracy in discussion is not "making excuses".  

then condemn Trudeau

because at this point

the only ones you are condemning are people who oppose Trudeau

and "providing accuracy" to downplay Trudeau's fuck ups

revealing your rather obvious bias

Edited by Yzermandius19

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

These collaborative voices are the people who would snitch on their neighbours for harbouring Jews or inform on neighbours for criticizing government under Stalin.  We’re seeing the true colours of a lot of people. 

Comparing these illegal occupiers with the persecuted Jews and comparing the government with Stalin is ludicrous.  These occupiers were costing thousands of jobs, millions of dollars a day, and making life hell for the people of Ottawa. You really need to find a counselor.  You live in an alt reality like many of the right wing extremists.

5 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

You’re wrong.  They don’t have to read the rights right now because Trudeau imposed martial law.  This is the normally required procedure:

“The arresting officer must inform the accused of the charges and their right to counsel. Typically, the officer will read from a script such as: I am arresting you for [name of offence(s)]. You have the right to retain and instruct counsel without delay.”

Police have to tell you why you are being arrested, but there is no reading of rights while being arrested.  You can retain a lawyer, but the police do not have to allow the lawyer to be present while you are being interrogated.  There is no equivalent to Miranda rights in Canada.  

38 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Nonsense. There are plenty of businesses still operational. 

In case you haven't noticed, the government has closed several businesses over the past two years. 

Edited by West