No longer a democracy

myata

On 2/18/2022 at 8:50 AM, DogOnPorch said:

They're bringing in cops with horse. I can't help but see this scene...

Oh the irony.

What's really ironic is that you're comparing Trudeau's cops on horses to the Tsars cops that are trying to prevent communists from taking over.

You should have stuck with the analogy of Tiananmen Square.

Mr Socks wants to put soldiers with tanks in Canadian streets. Soldiers...with tanks.  In Canada.

10 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Mr Socks wants to put soldiers with tanks in Canadian streets. Soldiers...with tanks.  In Canada.

And why not?  It happened. And there's nothing, an absolute vacuum of what could stop or limit him unlike Trump just south. So why couldn't and shouldn't it happen?

Just now, myata said:

And why not?  It happened. And there's nothing, an absolute vacuum of what could stop or limit him unlike Trump just south. So why couldn't and shouldn't it happen?

Well for starters I highly doubt Canadian soldiers would follow orders to drive their tanks into a crowd of Canadians.  You honestly think they could do that?

Maybe if it was a crowd of lefties.

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

No we usually bring beer.

So you honestly seem to believe Canadian soldiers are capable of crushing Canadians under their tanks. That's so ridiculous it's hilarious.

I don’t know anymore.  Individuals vary widely and there are sadistic people.  I’d like to think the commanders aren’t sadists, but our leaders are up to some pretty oppressive stuff.  On the ground it’s on the individual police or soldiers to remember their oaths.  There has been the trampling of a disabled woman and the beating of a wounded war vet.  Another individual was beaten with a rifle.  Who did the beating?  These are the individuals who must be called to account.  Of course these police are also under pressure, but keeping a cool head is essential to effective law enforcement.  In the end the police have the weapons and personnel.  They have to be extra careful to keep their own members from misuse of force.  

14 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I don’t know anymore.  Individuals vary widely and there are sadistic people.  I’d like to think the commanders aren’t sadists, but our leaders are up to some pretty oppressive stuff.

You should know. This is Canada ffs it's not China or Germany during the 30's. Get a grip.

On the ground it’s on the individual police or soldiers to remember their oaths.  There has been the trampling of a disabled woman and the beating of a wounded war vet.  Another individual was beaten with a rifle.  Who did the beating?  These are the individuals who must be called to account.

And you can be quite certain this entire thing will be dissected second by second to do just that.

Of course these police are also under pressure, but keeping a cool head is essential to effective law enforcement.  In the end the police have the weapons and personnel.  They have to be extra careful to keep their own members from misuse of force.

Well considering just how loaded with politics and emotion this is I fully expect there will be incidents that are interpreted as being evidence of deliberate brutality.  That cop was clearly not Derek Chauvin or he would have backed up their horse and placed its hoof on the woman's neck.

• Like 1

No, the reason it’s called “No longer a democracy” is because at some point in recent Canadian history freedom became a dirty word.  People just asking that their constitutional rights be respected came to be characterized by the Canadian government as racist and misogynist.  It’s what irresponsible leaders do to discredit opponents.  There have been less harsh derogatory remarks.  Heather Mallick of the Toronto Star said the truckers looked like potatoes.  The rhetoric is all similar in that it takes a group of people united by a legitimate cause, ensuring that constitutional rights are respected, and characterizes these people as morons or somehow retrograde.

Trudeau has leaned heavily on his privilege as a man from a family that has had great political power in Canada.  He has used his personal charisma to bring national loathing upon the unvaccinated and those who would defend them.  This has been and continues to be the darkest hour in modern Canadian history.  I hope that the members of all political parties, left and right, are taking careful note of what has unfolded in Canada and are asking themselves, Does my Canada really include all Canadians?  Are we standing up for the civil rights of all Canadians?

Edited by Zeitgeist

28 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

People just asking that their constitutional rights be respected came to be characterized by the Canadian government as racist and misogynist.   

No... The actual organizers are racists, and bad faith actors... That's why people call them racist.

Useful fools are counted on to defend these reprobate types.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

No... The actual organizers are racists, and bad faith actors... That's why people call them racist.

Useful fools are counted on to defend these reprobate types.

I actually think you’re working against the human rights of all Canadians when you keep orienting the discussion around some guy that was involved with the protests.  What does it mean to the thousands of protesters who are clamouring to have their constitutional rights respected?  It’s irresponsible, Hardner.  I’m not impressed. 

Just now, Zeitgeist said:

1. I actually think you’re working against the human rights of all Canadians when you keep orienting the discussion around some guy that was involved with the protests.  

2. What does it mean to the thousands of protesters who are clamouring to have their constitutional rights respected?  It’s irresponsible, Hardner.  I’m not impressed. 

1. It means this thing was corrupt from the start. You organizers were bad faith actors, with no authority, and no plan other than to cause shit.

2. It means they now understand the process better, and they should find a better leader and start fresh.  If they address all the problems they had the first time there will be less negative to say about them won't there?

5 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. It means this thing was corrupt from the start. You organizers were bad faith actors, with no authority, and no plan other than to cause shit.

2. It means they now understand the process better, and they should find a better leader and start fresh.  If they address all the problems they had the first time there will be less negative to say about them won't there?

I don’t know the personal histories of the organizers, I didn’t read any manifestos or whatever weird shit one or two people are peddling.  The protests are about removing vaccine mandates, nothing more, for the vast majority of protesters.  That’s all it’s ever been to me.  I will say that more rights are at risk with these expanded government and police powers in the Emergencies Act.  All Canadians should be very concerned.  

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

I actually think you’re working against the human rights of all Canadians

If the right to torture and criminally harass residents of Ottawa and the right to block critical infrastructure putting people out of work and the right to create chaos and lawlessness and mob dictatorship to overthrow government are considered as part of your human rights then we and an overwhelming majority of Canadians are against these rights

10 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

If the right to torture and criminally harass residents of Ottawa and the right to block critical infrastructure putting people out of work and the right to create chaos and lawlessness and mob dictatorship to overthrow government are considered as part of your human rights then we and an overwhelming majority of Canadians are against these rights

Torture?  The only violence I saw came from police last night, and I don’t even blame the police as a whole because I think most of them genuinely want a good resolution to this and not to hurt anyone.

All along you have been extreme in your characterization of the protesters, supporting the language of vilification and division.  We all agreed that blockades need to be removed and they were.  It was the fact that there was no effort by government to acknowledge the valid concerns of the protesters and the state-sanctioned humiliation of the unvaccinated and their supporters that is the bigger issue than some closed streets and honking horns in Ottawa.

Bringing in the Emergencies Act added insult to injury.  Anyway, it’s all on record for the world to see and judge according to people’s natural proclivity towards freedom.

Let’s just be thankful that no one appears to have been killed.  Let’s hope that government can see the light of day, dial down the rhetoric, and stop the vilification.  I pray that our full compliment of rights and freedoms are restored, that vaccine mandates are dropped, and that the country will return to true inclusivity.   

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Torture?  The only violence I saw came from police last night, and I don’t even blame the police as a whole because I think most of them genuinely want a good resolution to this and not to hurt anyone.

All along you have been extreme in your characterization of the protesters, supporting the language of vilification and division.  We all agreed that blockades need to be removed and they were.  It was the fact that there was no effort by government to acknowledge the valid concerns of the protesters and the state-sanctioned humiliation of the unvaccinated and their supporters that is the bigger issue than some closed streets and honking horns in Ottawa.

Bringing in the Emergencies Act added insult to injury.  Anyway, it’s all on record for the world to see and judge according to people’s natural proclivity towards freedom.

Let’s just be thankful that no one appears to have been killed.  Let’s hope that government can see the light of day, dial down the rhetoric, and stop the vilification.  I pray that our full compliment of rights and freedoms are restored, that vaccine mandates are dropped, and that the country will return to true inclusivity.   

The brave Ottawa resident gives interview on the torture and suffering of Ottawa Center Town residents by some criminal occupiers of the Capital city, the so called freedom convoy. 

Those who one sidedly claim the human rights of some occupiers have been violated then how about the right to peace and safety of tens of thousands of Ottawa residents?

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

8 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

The brave Ottawa resident gives interview on the torture and suffering of Ottawa Center Town residents by some criminal occupiers of the Capital city, the so called freedom convoy. 

Those who one sidedly claim the human rights of some occupiers have been violated then how about the right to peace and safety of tens of thousands of Ottawa residents?

We get it, loud horns at all hours bad.  An injunction was applied and the late night honking stopped.  This isn’t one-sided CBC coverage, right?  Lol.  I guess this lady represents the views of all of Ottawa.  It’s funny watching these last gasps of officialdom in legacy media.  

15 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

We get it, loud horns at all hours bad.  An injunction was applied and the late night honking stopped.  This isn’t one-sided CBC coverage, right?  Lol.  I guess this lady represents the views of all of Ottawa.  It’s funny watching these last gasps of officialdom in legacy media.  

If you had watched the video you would have known she talks about many other issues than honking including but not limited to criminal harassments.

Just now, CITIZEN_2015 said:

If you had watched the video you would have known she talks about many other issues than honking including but not limited to criminal harassments.

It was pretty sucky stuff.  Yes the protests were probably a bit much for residents downtown in the capital for the most significant protests in Canadian history.  It was messy but no one got hurt (except the protesters).  The injunction worked.  The blockades were being removed before the Emergencies Act.  Ottawa residents are safe.  

Breaking news: the Queen tested positive for Covid and is experiencing "mild cold-like symptoms" (aged 95). How does this compare with known examples of authoritarian overreach?

The system does not like doing its direct job. It cannot manage the disease effectively and efficiently. And so it turned its attention to the little people. They can be dictated, mandated and managed in virtually any way it likes. It wants this to be its job, not doing real work, not solving problems effectively and efficiently. This is way more fun (for it).

And no, there's virtually no limits. Just as seen and is being observed. No, can't be good for us.

3 hours ago, myata said:

Breaking news: the Queen tested positive for Covid and is experiencing "mild cold-like symptoms" (aged 95). How does this compare with known examples of authoritarian overreach?

The system does not like doing its direct job. It cannot manage the disease effectively and efficiently. And so it turned its attention to the little people. They can be dictated, mandated and managed in virtually any way it likes. It wants this to be its job, not doing real work, not solving problems effectively and efficiently. This is way more fun (for it).

And no, there's virtually no limits. Just as seen and is being observed. No, can't be good for us.

The system is having fun. 'It's' actually a living thing now, the system? It can like and dislike and perceive the sense of having fun.

Your delusion has taken on attributes of a living breathing being.

You are a case of someone whose belief has them instead of the other way around. Overreach of a different sort where the system has truly gotten into your head.

You're the Borg.

Edited by eyeball