Ontario needs to invest in EVs as a realistic Option.

More info sent to us from that customer from earlier:

The situation here is still tense:

the authorities are increasingly checking things like emergency exits and fire extinguishers in companies.

Civil defense sirens are regularly tested.

You‘ve got the feeling that the lower authorities at the regional level are doing their job and the government above is ignoring everything.

Despite government support, petrol costs over €2 per liter.  

Diesel is even more expensive in some places than before the discount.

In eastern and southern Germany, gas is rationed at some petrol stations (20 liters per customer).

Sunflower oil costs up to €5 per litre in Germany

In two weeks, the second stage of the “gas emergency plan” is to come into force in Germany.

This allows natural gas suppliers to pass on the additional costs to customers.

In addition to the increased prices, this theoretically means an extra €2,000 per household for the second half of the year.

In stage three, the state then decides which companies get gas and how much the civilian population gets.

Several police cars were set on fire in front of a shelter for police officers in Munich for the G7 meeting.

The German government has newly established an authority for the coordination of domestic defense (for the cooperation of the army, civil defense, aid organizations, veteran battalions, militias, supply routes of NATO allies and so on)

The EU wants to ban the combustion engine in the next few years.

The German finance minister has announced that Germany will vote against it.

Metal for industry has become more expensive by up to 70% and delivery times are 6 to 12 months.

In Bulgaria, the pro-Western government was voted out.

EUROPOL predicts street violence like in Latin America due to drug trafficking and social resentment in Europe. 

Europe has another problem right now because of low groundwater:

- In Brandenburg (Northern Germany) watering of plants is only allowed at night.  Environmentalists say it has to do with the TESLA Gigafactory

- In parts of northern Italy, watering of plants is regulated and drinking water is delivered by truck

- A region in France has banned teeth brushing

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Ahh the best laid plans of mice and men.

Putin moves another piece on his chess board. Queen to queen’s level 3.

Squeek squeek

It's Germany's own fault for banning Nuclear and depending on fuel from a political rival, Russia. 

• Like 2

This is a very informative video about the mad rush to EV's. Should Ontario invest heavily in EV's because of the potential financial benefits to the province? Or is it because it will help save the planet? Or a bit of both?

This guy covers a lot of the bases in this discussion and points out some huge red flags. He's certainly not anti-EV but more pro choice.

Edited by ironstone
Adding more comments.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Boges said:

BTW the situation in Europe highlights that these Gas Prices aren't the fault of Biden or Trudeau. 

European reliance on Russian gas is problem when they feel they can invade Western-style democracies with impunity. 

What western style democracy might we be talkin' 'bout?

We can build EVS here or we can build them in Mexico and you can work at Wendys. ANd then mock you for wanting a living wage.

We can stop researching fuel cells for another 50 years and build some, before another Elon Musk comes around.

And we can look at all those dams idling in the middle of the night or we can believe the oil tycoons that the most abundant element in the universe is too expensive to extract.

Your choice.

I'll go with the neighbour who drove his PHEV all the way to Prince George to burn off the gas before it went stale. Hadn't filled it for 3 months going just to work and town.

been gone a while (nasty capitalist pig stuff, have to actually work) but thought of this thread when I was down in IA last week.  The so-called "green" movement from the political left South of the border has seen 2 nukes and all of the coal fired capacity in IA closed down,.  It was hot (95-100F most days) and I was watching a bunch of 80 year old diesel gensets get started and run flat out to feed the state grid.  Yeah, the brilliant foresight of the Looney Left means that the state has to rely on ancient diesel gensets to meet their daytime loads.

Yeah, go buy another Tesla (BTW THE most polluting way to move a motor vehicle - but since the truth doesn't fit the mindless logic of the virtue signalling set that will fall on deaf ears).  If the effing morons would ever bother to actually LEARN anything about our environment, they would deal with the REAL issue (inability of oceans to absorb the CO2 we produce) and not screw uo the economy needed to DEAL with the actual problems.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 8:47 AM, Boges said:

It's Germany's own fault for banning Nuclear and depending on fuel from a political rival, Russia. 

Canada is, or will be, in the same situation soon.

About 50% of Canada's electric supply is hydroelectricity. No new sources are even in planning stages.

No nuclear electrical generation stations are being planned either.

Almost 10% is still generated by coal and natural gas is also about 10%

We are far from future proof. We are the same as Germany, maybe worse?

https://energyrates.ca/the-main-electricity-sources-in-canada-by-province/

Edited by ExFlyer

22 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Canada is, or will be, in the same situation soon.

About 50% of Canada's electric supply is hydroelectricity. No new sources are even in planning stages.

No nuclear electrical generation stations are being planned either.

Almost 10% is still generated by coal and natural gas is also about 10%

We are far from future proof. We are the same as Germany, maybe worse?

https://energyrates.ca/the-main-electricity-sources-in-canada-by-province/

How could we be worse? We haven't effectively banned Nuclear. We do have an inventory of LNG as opposed to Germany who import it. 

I know it's laughable to some but Renewables do play a role in power generation going forward. 

On 6/26/2022 at 8:19 AM, cannuck said:

Yeah, go buy another Tesla (BTW THE most polluting way to move a motor vehicle - but since the truth doesn't fit the mindless logic of the virtue signalling set that will fall on deaf ears).  If the effing morons would ever bother to actually LEARN anything about our environment, they would deal with the REAL issue (inability of oceans to absorb the CO2 we produce) and not screw uo the economy needed to DEAL with the actual problems.

Anti EV morons have to lie to discredit them, this in this post. 

34 minutes ago, Boges said:

Ukraine has a duly elected leader. They threw out the Russian puppet in 2014, which is why Russia can't have them succeed. 

https://yournews.com/2022/06/25/2366645/ukraine-bans-main-opposition-party-seizes-all-its-assets/

Ya...democratic...

34 minutes ago, Boges said:

How could we be worse? We haven't effectively banned Nuclear. We do have an inventory of LNG as opposed to Germany who import it. 

I know it's laughable to some but Renewables do play a role in power generation going forward. 

Nuclear? You think nuclear power plants grow if you plant a seed? It takes decades to plan, develop and get permissions then decades longer to build.

LNG?  We do not export LNG.....yet.

Natural Gas in housing is being phased out https://www.ecohome.net/guides/3667/when-will-natural-gas-be-phased-out-usa-canada-uk/

1 minute ago, ExFlyer said:

Nuclear? You think nuclear power plants grow if you plant a seed? It takes decades to plan, develop and get permissions then decades longer to build.

LNG?  We do not export LNG.....yet.

Your claim was that we would be in a worse state than Germany. 

It's tough to export LNG because it's usually done by a pipeline. But there is no shortage of LNG domestically. And that will fill the gap when the rest of Coal is shut down. 

This article mentions Natural Gas for new home construction. Heat Pumps provide a much more efficient method of electrically heating and cooling homes and should be part of any long term plan. 

That being said, Natural Gas will still be used to generate electricity for some time to come. 

9 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Don't be a putz. Anyone paying even the slightest attention, already knows what a glorious dictatorship Zeleinski's Ukraine is.

I'm sure an opposition party with strong ties to Russia have the countries best interest, at heart, while the country is in full conflict with . . . Russia!!!!

The Right has really turned into a puppet of Russian propaganda. 

BTW this is not the thread to discuss this. 

Do you even have the slightest ability to discuss EVs? 

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

I'm sure an opposition party with strong ties to Russia have the countries best interest, at heart, while the country is in full conflict with . . . Russia!!!!

The Right has really turned into a puppet of Russian propaganda. 

BTW this is not the thread to discuss this. 

Do you even have the slightest ability to discuss EVs? 

OMG...RUSSIA!!! So...you are a putz. OK.

The "right" sees things for what they ARE...instead of this horseshit you're trying to dish out.

EVs...Cool cars. My daughter bought one. I don't want one because I do not think the tech and infrastructure is there yet. When it is, and the price become realistic, we'll talk.

4 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

EVs...Cool cars. My daughter bought one. I don't want one because I do not think the tech and infrastructure is there yet. When it is, and the price become realistic, we'll talk.

A prudent government would see the way the winds are going and invest in such infrastructure. 

Which, after some initial hesitance, the DoFo government appears to be doing. 

4 minutes ago, Boges said:

A prudent government would see the way the winds are going and invest in such infrastructure. 

Which, after some initial hesitance, the DoFo government appears to be doing. 

Why? Did the governments have to build the original gas stations?

On 6/24/2022 at 8:47 AM, Boges said:

Germany has a pretty strong Green party there and they are dead set against nuclear power. They have weak politicians there who cave in to those radicals.

And here in Canada the Greens are also totally against nuclear.

Nuclear Power (greenparty.ca)

If you watched the video I posted above it states that many of the actual components of wind and solar are going to end up in landfills.

36 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Excuse me but...although this was not directed to me...I'm curious what lies you claim here?

That Teslas are the most environmentally unfriendly way to drive a car. 

I know this keeps coming back to the metals required to make a battery. 

I would point three things out. 

1) No one complains about the ethnical and environmental concerns about the Lithium Ion batteries in all their other devices. Why don't we advocate for Cell Phones that use traditional AA batteries? 

2) When someone tries to quantify the emissions required to build an EV, they don't also include the emissions required to mine, refine, and transport the gasoline an ICE requires during its entire lifetime. It's not just the emissions from the car, it's the emissions of the Gasoline industry as well. Transporting gasoline to your local gas station is a wildly inefficient business. With the EV it comes straight to your home through existing power lines. 

3) No one critical of EVs seems to grasp how exponentially more efficient an EV is with energy than an ICE. 60 litres of gasoline could produce so much electricity, but we are bound by these ancient ICE engines that have basically reached the peak of their efficiency. 

You could buy a Generator, and buy gas for that Generator to charge your EV and you'd still be more efficient. 

Edited by Boges