Ontario needs to invest in EVs as a realistic Option.

On 6/27/2022 at 12:26 PM, ExFlyer said:

Point is, adding 69 charging stations along 1000 kms of highway with gawd only knows how much traffic is a joke.

Maybe they can put gas generators at every gas station, then people can use ‘em to power- charge their EV’s.

Plus a free polish for Boges’ halo every time he pulls in. ;) 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Boges said:

Sure if we stopped eating meat and all took public transportation a lot of the global problems would be solved. No one wants to do that tho. 

You may not have a choice.  That's what happens when you give up all your rights to the government when they create an emergency.

Hope you like cricket paste.

World's largest cricket processing plant coming to London, Ont. | CBC News

All the elites won't be eating it though.  They'll still have filet mignon.

16 hours ago, Goddess said:

You may not have a choice.  That's what happens when you give up all your rights to the government when they create an emergency.

Hope you like cricket paste.

World's largest cricket processing plant coming to London, Ont. | CBC News

All the elites won't be eating it though.  They'll still have filet mignon.

I think the agricultural lobby will certainly have something to say about all this. 

Insects are a staple of Asian diets, so farming crickets certainly can be a growth opportunity. Certainly not one I'll be opting for anytime soon. 

Though Anchovy paste is already a thing. Your Ceasar Dressing likely already has it. 

Oh FFS the same anti arguments over and over!

You don't use a BEV to go thousands and thousands of miles. You use it to go from home in Langley to work in Vancouver. You still have your minivan if you want to go long distance, no one's making you sell it.

Are you all so butt poor you only have ONE car? Then fly or take a train if you want to go from Vancouver to Calgary.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nice! 

https://globalnews.ca/news/9047549/tesla-lobbying-ontario-government-canadian-facility/

Tesla Inc is lobbying the Ontario government as part of an effort to set up an “advanced manufacturing facility” in Canada, a filing by the electric-vehicle maker to the province’s Office of the Integrity Commissioner showed.

13 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Do you think all EVs should be able to charge on any charging device?  

I think Canadian regulation should force Tesla away from proprietary charging to be universal with other EVs. 

That's what the EU forced Elon to do.  In Europe Teslas use the J1772 standard. 

He's said he would allow it in North America. Not sure on what schedule. 

It would be one hell of a weird adaptor to get a North American Tesla plug to fit into a CCS outlet. 

Superchargers are only really useful on Road Trips. A person using EVs for daily commuting or trips under 200 miles wouldn't need Supercharging or Stage 3 charging (as the rest of the EV community calls it). 

I've only used a Stage 3 charger 3 times in the 2 years I've owned an EV. 

• Like 1

Time that Tesla got what Apple did, I agree.

My daughter took her hybrid Escape into the dealer as it wouldn't start. They told her the main battery was gone and quoted $5000 - $6000 to replace it.

2 points to make - it's a hybrid. Why the hell would Ford make it to require the hybrid battery to work to start a gas engine.
Second, there's a reset switch under the dash, you press it then hold for 8 seconds and it will start again. The dealer that sells them clearly knew that. Obviously tried to scam her.
I sent her a YouTube link, she towed it home and her boyfriend reset it. She's been driving it the last 3 weeks. Plus I found a kid down the street bought one the same year at an auction that was totalled. Paid $500. Damn sure he'd sell the hybrid battery for a hell of a lot less than $5000

16 hours ago, herbie said:

Time that Tesla got what Apple did, I agree.

My daughter took her hybrid Escape into the dealer as it wouldn't start. They told her the main battery was gone and quoted $5000 - $6000 to replace it.

2 points to make - it's a hybrid. Why the hell would Ford make it to require the hybrid battery to work to start a gas engine.
Second, there's a reset switch under the dash, you press it then hold for 8 seconds and it will start again. The dealer that sells them clearly knew that. Obviously tried to scam her.
I sent her a YouTube link, she towed it home and her boyfriend reset it. She's been driving it the last 3 weeks. Plus I found a kid down the street bought one the same year at an auction that was totalled. Paid $500. Damn sure he'd sell the hybrid battery for a hell of a lot less than $5000

Buying a Ford. There's your trouble. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Boges said:

Buying a Ford. There's your trouble. 

Gift, The Ford dealer it was bought from offered such an insulting trade in they told him to eff off, gave my kid the Escape and bought a Toyota.

I miss the Fords I owned, they kept you busy. Something would fall off almost every day, door handle, rearview mirror, radio knob, back window, fuel gauges that died, 2 pickup boxes rusted clean through in 8 years...

Wondering how the Big 3 will shittify EVs and justify charging 10K extra for electric motors when they reach the same production numbers as ICE. The local dealers wont even stock any EVs as they can't hose you $200 to change oil under warranty twice a year....

*under the entire production run of the Chevy Volt, I never saw so much as one advertised by a local dealer or on the showroom floor. I know of ONE in the area and the guy went down to Vancouver and bought it.

Edited by herbie
added

• 2 months later...

Capitalism at it's finest and you're complaining? Commie!

One thing nice to live in lefty BC. The gov't owns the Hydro. And car insurance. So when they dick you over too much you can vote them out. As has happened over and over here. You can even fight with the blockaders claiming we don't need any more power if you want. You can build solar and windmills if you want to, not cuz you have to.

BTW - that Escape I talked about is a 2005. The means it's 17 years old and still functioning. So much for the 'batteries only last a couple years' BS.

14 hours ago, herbie said:

Capitalism at it's finest and you're complaining? Commie!

One thing nice to live in lefty BC. The gov't owns the Hydro. And car insurance. So when they dick you over too much you can vote them out. As has happened over and over here. You can even fight with the blockaders claiming we don't need any more power if you want. You can build solar and windmills if you want to, not cuz you have to.

BTW - that Escape I talked about is a 2005. The means it's 17 years old and still functioning. So much for the 'batteries only last a couple years' BS.

I'm not complaining about Tesla's price hike in California. Tesla is a private company and have every right to do what they did. I have merely been pointing out the obvious in that the cost to charge EV's will sooner or later be equal to the cost of refilling ICE vehicles. If it's cheaper now for EV's, it won't be for long.

I would rather let the free market decide and not be forced into one or the other.

Let the superior product prevail, if it turns out to be EV's then so be it.

So who's forcing anyone?

We're also already being scammed that an EV costs more to make than an ICE.
Sure, for a battery but the motor's nowhere near as costly and everything else is comparable. So adding a $5K battery shouldn't cost $15K more.

Why did we miss out an interim step in the process? Kei vehicles running LNG should've been offered in N America as 2nd car options.

16 hours ago, herbie said:

So who's forcing anyone?

We're also already being scammed that an EV costs more to make than an ICE.
Sure, for a battery but the motor's nowhere near as costly and everything else is comparable. So adding a $5K battery shouldn't cost $15K more.

Why did we miss out an interim step in the process? Kei vehicles running LNG should've been offered in N America as 2nd car options.

Some governments have put dates in place to ban the sale of ICE vehicles. Manufacturers are responding to the heavy hand of those governments.

Here Are 30 Countries, Cities And Automakers That Have Agreed To Ban ICE Vehicles By 2040 (autojosh.com)

There has always been speculation about what the technological limits are of ICE vehicles and that's fair question. But I wonder what the limits of EV's are? We have ICE cars that had ranges of over 1000km (like VW diesels) and could be refueled in minutes.  Will there ever be an EV with equal capability? I own a $21,000 car with a range in the neighborhood of 800km. Currently, I know of no EV anywhere close to that.

There may be a time when EV's will be capable of equaling the range and refueling times of current ICE cars AND be comparable in price. But they aren't on the market now and it may not be a sure thing that they ever will.

Who could hop in an EV and drive across the country without major, and I mean major planning down to the minute? Contractors that use their trucks to two are going to have some big hurdles to work around too.

Check out this guy who towed a relatively light load with his electric F150:

7 hours ago, ironstone said:

Some governments have put dates in place to ban the sale of ICE vehicles.

No, they banned manufacture and sale of. You won't be able to buy a 2036 F350 diesel w duallies. Maybe you'll be able to get a used 2035 one. Or a hybrid.

Maybe you can't take the Oregon Trail in your covered wagon and let the horse eat grass on the side of the path either. Can't take the kids on a non-stop drive to WallyWorld and eat at Howard Johnsons either. Welcome to the world changes...

There is a brand new alternative energy coming that will compete with EV’s.  I’d wait 6 months to buy if I were you.  Plus the used car market is collapsing in the US, and the new car market is also hurting.

We’ll see that here too.  If you want to buy a car, just wait.  Save up a bigger down payment.

On 10/21/2022 at 5:33 PM, ironstone said:

We knew this was going to happen sooner or later but for California Tesla owners it was a big shock. Of course it will happen everywhere eventually.

Tesla charging costs equal fueling of gas vehicles in California as it raises Supercharger prices and limits off-peak hours - NotebookCheck.net News

Sure but using a Super Charger shouldn't be something owners should do regularly.

It would mostly mimic using a Gas Station because charging usually takes under a half hour. You pay for that convenience. 

I found using a State 3 charger somewhat comparable to gas as well, but I'm using it on a road trip. That was before the Ukraine induced price increases, this year, however. 

The Value-Ad for an EV owner is using a Stage 2 charger at home using the same electricity you use for everything. Or some public Stage 2 charging ports that take a few hours while you do something else. 

12 hours ago, sharkman said:

There is a brand new alternative energy coming that will compete with EV’s.  I’d wait 6 months to buy if I were you.  

Hydrogen? 

How long will it take for Hydrogen infrastructure to match the fact that most homeowners can no re-fuel at home. 

Plus the used car market is collapsing in the US, and the new car market is also hurting.

We’ll see that here too.  If you want to buy a car, just wait.  Save up a bigger down payment.

The ICE car market is hurting too. All part of the supply chain inflation we've been seeing. My EV is worth more than when I bought it for on Used car Market. 

On 10/23/2022 at 9:50 AM, ironstone said:

Some governments have put dates in place to ban the sale of ICE vehicles. Manufacturers are responding to the heavy hand of those governments.

Here Are 30 Countries, Cities And Automakers That Have Agreed To Ban ICE Vehicles By 2040 (autojosh.com)

There has always been speculation about what the technological limits are of ICE vehicles and that's fair question. But I wonder what the limits of EV's are? We have ICE cars that had ranges of over 1000km (like VW diesels) and could be refueled in minutes.  Will there ever be an EV with equal capability? I own a $21,000 car with a range in the neighborhood of 800km. Currently, I know of no EV anywhere close to that.

There may be a time when EV's will be capable of equaling the range and refueling times of current ICE cars AND be comparable in price. But they aren't on the market now and it may not be a sure thing that they ever will.

Who could hop in an EV and drive across the country without major, and I mean major planning down to the minute? Contractors that use their trucks to two are going to have some big hurdles to work around too.

You certainly need to plan a road trip, no question. 

But the requirement of 1,000 km range is peculiar. Other than a road trip, why would you need a range like that? 

If it's because you drive all day, yeah maybe EV tech isn't where you need it to be yet. I'm under no illusions that EV Tech is for everyone yet. 

But if you own a home with a driveway and drive less than 200 kms in a day, and EV is most certainly for you. 

4 hours ago, Boges said:

You certainly need to plan a road trip, no question. 

But the requirement of 1,000 km range is peculiar. Other than a road trip, why would you need a range like that? 

If it's because you drive all day, yeah maybe EV tech isn't where you need it to be yet. I'm under no illusions that EV Tech is for everyone yet. 

But if you own a home with a driveway and drive less than 200 kms in a day, and EV is most certainly for you. 

I would suggest that more range is better than less range. I drive 180km round trip on a daily basis. It's also possible that when more EV's are on the road certain governments may start telling people when they can and can't charge them. Like California. I like having around 800km of range in my car. They could have put a fuel tank 1/4 of the size in there but the car would then be rendered impractical for me.

13 hours ago, ironstone said:

I would suggest that more range is better than less range. I drive 180km round trip on a daily basis. It's also possible that when more EV's are on the road certain governments may start telling people when they can and can't charge them. Like California. I like having around 800km of range in my car. They could have put a fuel tank 1/4 of the size in there but the car would then be rendered impractical for me.

Even though you don't ever plan on using 800 kms every day? You like the range because it keeps you from having to go to the Gas Station frequently. Something an EV owner doesn't have to worry about because they would be able to charge at home. 

The problem with throttling EV usage at home is that it's the same electricity you use for anything else. How about throttling AC usage? Or doing laundry during peak periods? 

To monitor person EV charging you'd have to install a separate meter, maybe when everyone is on an EV in 20 years, that's something we'd do, but that's a different world we'd be living in. 

Edited by Boges

Carrying 800kms of gas makes you go to the gas station more often. I have 2 mid size SUVs that max out less than 60L that's less than 600 kms.

Of course you might be like the guy who looked me in the eye and said his 68 Charger with the 440 six-pack got 20 mpg when I knew if he said 10 he was lying. Or all the guys with F150s who tell me they can make a 400km trip to go shopping for only a 'few bucks'.

Like I said many times it ain't gov't regulations and taxes that will force you buy an EV, it's the sucking greed of the oil companies who know you didn't stop buying gas at $2.50L so they'll damn well try for $3.50L next excuse. FFS I just watched people buy $80 turkeys and bleat how that's the government's fault.