Warning to All MLW Members - Fear and the Cronavirus

Guest ProudConservative

On 2/28/2020 at 3:10 PM, Shady said:

Good point.  You can make a killing in the stock market right now.  There are so many undervalued stocks because of the sell off.  In 6 months they'll be back to what they were selling for.

Buy low, sell high.

====

Anyone with cash (I just added to my RRSP) - I recommend a buy.

Of course, you may have to buy - then buy lower, and buy even lower! 

It will be interesting to watch how this plays out in the various countries it infects. The virus is a challenge to each nation's health care system and leadership as it gets passed around. Kind of like playing soccer. Meantime looks like China is gettin er done. Of course, their government has much greater authoritarian control, and the Chinese people are more subjugated, and more willing to cooperate.

Meantime in Europe, they're running like scared rabbits I'll wager.

12 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

The Flu in 1919 killed 50 million people when there were less than 2B people on the planet. Some people were dying within hours of getting their first symptoms. Coronavirus is not comparable in any way, shape or form to the Spanish Flu. 

The Swine Flu in 2009 was a similar strain to the Spanish Flu, and affected mostly young people because those over 60 had already been exposed to similar strains of the flu so they had strong immunity to it, but the swine flu still didn't kill a lot of young people.

Cornavirus has a high death rate by comparison to Swine Flu, at 7%, but the death demographic is the opposite of that for the Spanish Flu.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/ :

I don't "know" where Cornavirus originated, but there's a BSL4 lab in Wuhan and the Coronavirus is on hand in a lot of the BSL4 labs around the world.

It just happened to get out in a country with a huge overpopulation problem, where they were recently curbing their population by limiting the number of births, and putting healthy young "overlimit" babies into care facilities with high infant mortality rates. This is also a country whose culture demands that young people care for their elderly family members to a far greater extent than is normal here in North America. So along comes Coronavirus which is almost like a designer virus which lowers the population, and frees up the younger generations from the burden of caring for the elderly. Now there are less homes needed, less food needed, and more of the young people in China can get back into the work force. 

If you were a heartless dictator and you wanted to "cull the herd", you'd release this virus on your own people. I don't have proof that that's what happened, but I've heard crazier conspiracy theories.  

Cliff Clavin's Buffalo Theory:

I've had pneumonia twice - I wonder if that puts me at a high risk?

11 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

And might I add, ain't nobody out here buying no moo goo guy pan no more, neither.

Well, we did order Chinese food Tuesday, but we are in a small town so figure less chance..   who knows.    A female friend and I live too far apart to get together so we meet once a year at a hotel to catch up and have a glass of wine together so this year it's Toronto, the end of March.   However, we are holding off because of #1, trains might be tricky but mostly because neither of us want to go to Toronto.      Going out today to buy some water, toilet paper and canned stuff, just in case  :)-

Chinese factories closed down, that's why stock markets are re-arranging. Apparently it reduced the visible smog. So little Qwai-Chang got to see what a blue sky looks like in China for a couple days, for the first time in his life. But soon the virus will be contained, then it's back to work you filthy dogs! Fire up the factories. Which wouldn't happen if there was another virus. Let's leave it this way.

And so you see my friends, blessed are the viruses, and the death they bring...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Chinese factories closed down, that's why stock markets are re-arranging. Apparently it reduced the visible smog. So little Qwai-Chang got to see what a blue sky looks like in China for a couple days, for the first time in his life. But soon the virus will be contained, then it's back to work you filthy dogs! Fire up the factories. Which wouldn't happen if there was another virus. Let's leave it this way.

And so you see my friends, blessed are the viruses, and the death they bring...

The Black Death was the best thing to EVER happen to the Middle Class.

17 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

Coronavirus is nothing like the Spanish Flu. It's almost the exact opposite.

Spanish Flu killed primarily young, healthy people by triggering their own immune system to go into hyperdrive. 

Coronavirus is killing primarily older people with underlying health issues. 

Spanish flu occurred over a hundred years ago, before twitter, facebook, youtube, etc. etc.  I'm not too concerned with contracting the coronavirus, I'm very concerned, however about the public's reaction to it.  Society has put all its trust in the fragile systems that keep things stable and keep us alive.  People's perspectives change when shelves at the grocery stores are empty and their investments are in the tank.

I fully expect in his clueless, tone-deaf way, for Trudeau to announce and bring in his gun ban anytime...that ought to calm things down.  I've noticed that this government's typical reaction to crisis is to carefully analyze the best, most logical course of action, and then do the exact opposite.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

I didn't compare it to the Spanish Flu, you did.   All I said was it kills the same way all novel viruses do, in that the body overreacts to a lack of effective antibodies.

People in here are talking about the Spanish Flu. I just said Coronavirus is not comparable. It's death toll demographic is the exact opposite.

3 hours ago, betsy said:

I've had pneumonia twice - I wonder if that puts me at a high risk?

From what I've heard it's people who currently have underlying health issues who are at risk, and the elderly, but I am a skeptic at heart. I take what the leftists are saying and the conservatives and the truth is always somewhere in between, but obviously closer to the conservative side.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

Sure they are, we went out for wonton soup, almond gai ding chicken and mushroom fried rice just last night.

Not surprised. But you're not here, are ya. I see BC has 4 more confirmed cases this morning. So far as I'm concerned, you big-city west coast urban liberals can go ahead and enjoy your Chinese gravy, to your hearts contentment. Having an extra big helping, fella.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

Spanish flu occurred over a hundred years ago, before twitter, facebook, youtube, etc. etc.  I'm not too concerned with contracting the coronavirus, I'm very concerned, however about the public's reaction to it.  Society has put all its trust in the fragile systems that keep things stable and keep us alive.  People's perspectives change when shelves at the grocery stores are empty and their investments are in the tank.

I fully expect in his clueless, tone-deaf way, for Trudeau to announce and bring in his gun ban anytime...that ought to calm things down.  I've noticed that this government's typical reaction to crisis is to carefully analyze the best, most logical course of action, and then do the exact opposite.

The public is always jumping on the next chicken little crisis/scam. Y2K was my favourite. Now it's man-made global warming - "Give us your virgin daughters or your crops will fail!"

I'm concerned about a second go-round of this virus, because of the fact that it's communicable before the symptoms show up. That makes it far deadlier than something like Ebola, which isn't communicable until it's obvious that you have it.

I would still like to get this virus now while it's weak so that I can have some immunity to the next iteration of the virus, just in case it's a lot stronger.

Maybe China released this weak version of the virus to cull their population and give immunity to their healthiest people, so that they can release a stronger version in a year or two. If a country was going to engage in biological warfare then the current version of the Coronavirus would be a perfect "Stage 1" for "Plan A". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Image result for celine dion with mask This is the only comment I can make. Celine is contagious and I warned all of you to stock up. You know her husband is no longer with us. Think why.

Maybe she can talk Whoopi Goldberg into wearing one too. A full face shield with eye holes. Then we just have to get here a voice modulator. Or a gag. 

Ahhhhhhhhhh, one can dream. 

2 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

I just said Coronavirus is not comparable. It's death toll demographic is the exact opposite.

Coronavirus is comparable, the WHO is on the verge of declaring it to be a pandemic, and in terms of case fatality it is closer to 1919 than it is the other two pandemics in the 20th century