Islamophobia in Canada

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Oh yeah.

The Holy Roman Empire was actually the German/Frankish states and Northern Italy combined back in the 800s to end of the 18th century. Charlemagne and all that...

Proto-Germany

Yes.  Then the Reformation in the 1500s started to take a bite out of Holy Roman Empire in northern Europe with Martin Luther, King Henry VIII, John Knox in Scotland, and John Calvin in Switzerland and area.

Edited by blackbird

Just now, blackbird said:

Yes.  Then the Reformation in the 1500s started to take a bite out of Holy Roman Empire in northern Europe.

There was the Thirty Year War, as well...a VERY bloody conflict. That was pretty much a world war for those days...everybody got their licks-in. Catholic, Protestant and Muslim.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

There was the Thirty Year War, as well...a VERY bloody conflict. That was pretty much a world war for those days...everybody got their licks-in. Catholic, Protestant and Muslim.

Yes, some pretty bad things went on.  I think the Black Plague in the 15th or 16th century wiped out possibly a quarter of the population of Europe too.

Just now, blackbird said:

Yes, some pretty bad things went on.  I think the Black Plague in the 15th or 16th century wiped out possibly a quarter of the population of Europe too.

That's the 14th century...1346 to the 1350s...first wave.

Barbra Tuchman's great book, A Distant Mirror, is a good introduction to that age.

37572.jpg

Of course, if you're into Boccaccio, the Decameron (pdf) has a vivid description of the Pest by an eyewitness....himself.  

• Thanks 1

Ironically, the West's view of Islam is coloured by the huge extent this book has penetrated the English speaking world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Thousand_and_One_Nights

While the stories are from the region...it was the British who popularized them to a wide audience.

Edited by DogOnPorch

8 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Ironically, the West's view of Islam is coloured by the huge extent this book has penetrated the English speaking world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Thousand_and_One_Nights

While the stories are from the region...it was the British who popularized them to a wide audience.

I will have to read that info on Wikipedia, but it is long so can't do it tonight.

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

Almost everybody knows Aladin...in one form or another.

Sinbad...Ali Baba...etc.

Yes.  I never paid much attention in school and had to finish school later and since then try to increase knowledge by reading in the past number of years.  My memory is not as good as when I was young.  But still interested in learning more about the world.

17 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Yes.  I never paid much attention in school and had to finish school later and since then try to increase knowledge by reading in the past number of years.  My memory is not as good as when I was young.  But still interested in learning more about the world.

Richard F Burton compiled the stories...released in 1885.

Here they are in PDF format...

The British Empire's next lesson in Islam was learned a different way entirely...the bloody Mahdist War of the 1880s-1890s. Churchill fought in that one and wrote about it to a wide audience in his book The River War.

A quick perusal of the Mahdists should remind you of a certain Islamic terrorist army operating in Iraq and Syria today.

On 9/26/2017 at 4:27 PM, DogOnPorch said:

I don't think the Jews were threatening either Mohammad or Hitler with nuclear destruction even though you claim otherwise..

Lying racist.

Show me exactly where I claimed that.

Edited by eyeball

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/09/26/treatment-by-mps-at-m-103-committee-hearing-nothing-short-of-lousy

Here is a sample of how the meetings are coming along and how they treat muslims themselves. It is pretty disgusting,.. But when I realized Hedy ( burning crosses in BC as we speak ) Fry was the chairperson, I knew the fix was in. Canadians better wake up before it is to late.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PIK said:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/09/26/treatment-by-mps-at-m-103-committee-hearing-nothing-short-of-lousy

Here is a sample of how the meetings are coming along and how they treat muslims themselves. It is pretty disgusting,.. But when I realized Hedy ( burning crosses in BC as we speak ) Fry was the chairperson, I knew the fix was in. Canadians better wake up before it is to late.

I've dealt with Hedy professionally. It's her way or the highway and she's not open to discussion once she's decided something.

Edited by DogOnPorch
  • Like 2

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎26 at 11:46 PM, blackbird said:

You are absolutely correct.  You seem to be quite up on a lot of the history around Islam.  The Roman Empire ceased to exist before Islam started around the 7th century.  But there was the Holy Roman Empire which existed after the Roman Empire.  Then I think, if my guess is correct, around 1000 A.D. the Holy Roman Empire split creating the Byzantine eastern part which went their own way.   I'm not sure how long the Holy Roman Empire lasted but I think it was around well into a few centuries ago in part of Europe.   Do you know if the Jizya tax is collected anywhere today?

http://www.meforum.org/5275/jizya-fact-fiction

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/203611/return-jizya-egypt-raymond-ibrahim

https://pamelageller.com/2014/06/isis-begins-imposing-jizya-christians-mosul.html/

from wikepedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhimmi

In modern times

The dhimma and the jizya poll tax are no longer imposed in Muslim majority countries.[15][140] In the 21st century, jizya is widely regarded as being at odds with contemporary secular conceptions of citizen's civil rights and equality before the law, although there have been occasional reports of religious minorities in conflict zones and areas subject to political instability being forced to pay jizya.[141]

In 2009 it was claimed that a group of militants that referred to themselves as the Taliban imposed the jizya on Pakistan's minority Sikh community after occupying some of their homes and kidnapping a Sikh leader.[142]

As late as 2013, in Egypt jizya was reportedly being imposed by the Muslim Brotherhood on 15,000 Christian Copts of Dalga village.[143][144]

In February 2014, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) announced that it intended to extract jizya from Christians in the city of Raqqa, Syria, which it controls. Christians who refused to accept the dhimma contract and pay the tax would have to either convert to Islam or die. Wealthy Christians would have to pay half an ounce of gold, the equivalent of USD 664 twice a year; middle-class Christians would have to pay half that amount and poorer ones would be charged one-fourth that amount.[145] In June, the Institute for the Study of War reported that ISIL claims to have collected jizya and fay.[146] On July 18, 2014 the ISIL ordered the Christians in Mosul to accept the dhimma contract and pay the Jizya or convert to Islam. If they refused to accept either of the options they would be killed.[147]

On 9/28/2017 at 10:52 AM, DogOnPorch said:

I've dealt with Hedy professionally. It's her way or the highway and she's not open to discussion once she's decided something.

She of the 'burning crosses' fame..   the outcome of these hearings is pre-ordained, no doubt they will eventually lead to actual legislation. 

On 9/28/2017 at 10:50 AM, PIK said:

Canadians better wake up before it is to late.

This 'wake up' bullshit has been happening for years now.  Give it up.  It's so overdone that nobody is buying it.

We had an attack in Canada this week - do you think that we're going to see major policy changes as a result ?  No.  The message of division perpetuated by Muslim-haters and ISIS has failed badly and so we can see these threats in better and better context.

Most reasonable people stopped listening to these tired lies a long time ago.  The news for anybody still on the fence is: the sky is not falling, and scared people enjoy hiding in holes.  Or worse, destroying our institutions because 'it's to late'... bad spelling quoted and preserved....  

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

This 'wake up' bullshit has been happening for years now.  Give it up.  It's so overdone that nobody is buying it.

We had an attack in Canada this week - do you think that we're going to see major policy changes as a result ?  No.  The message of division perpetuated by Muslim-haters and ISIS has failed badly and so we can see these threats in better and better context.

Most reasonable people stopped listening to these tired lies a long time ago.  The news for anybody still on the fence is: the sky is not falling, and scared people enjoy hiding in holes.  Or worse, destroying our institutions because 'it's to late'... bad spelling quoted and preserved....  

That's such bollocks. It's like telling people it's okay if the engine on an Air France plane explodes because no one was hurt and it doesn't happen very often. One still finds out why and tries to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

Just now, bcsapper said:

That's such bollocks. It's like telling people it's okay if the engine on an Air France plane explodes because no one was hurt and it doesn't happen very often. One still finds out why and tries to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

Agreed...look how fast the Islamist sympathizers are so quick to panic over a single Trump tweet....never overdone enough for them.

16 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Sorry.  I never said it's ok, I responded to 'wake up before it's too late !'.  So your bollocks is bollocks.

The question is how to respond.  Chicken Littles who hate Western society want to remake us into a Christian theocracy, or something.  It's hard to tell what this 'wake up call' is for, exactly and these folks don't like to say.

8 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Sorry.  I never said it's ok, I responded to 'wake up before it's too late !'.  So your bollocks is bollocks.

The question is how to respond.  Chicken Littles who hate Western society want to remake us into a Christian theocracy, or something.  It's hard to tell what this 'wake up call' is for, exactly and these folks don't like to say.

I never said you said it's okay.  I said it's like saying it's okay.  So your bollocks that my bollocks is bollocks is bollocks.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Your analogy, direct quote:

"That's such bollocks. It's like telling people it's okay if "

Back to you.

That is such bollocks. It's like telling people it's okay if the engine on an Air France plane explodes because no one was hurt and it doesn't happen very often. One still finds out why and tries to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

If you just want to swap bollocks, that's fun, but it's no argument.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

This post was deleted by a mod in March....but I offer it again free of charge:

The very reaction and labeling of the stabbing attack in Toronto Edmonton as terrorism is reflexively considered an "American-style" fear and overreach.

Probably because it has nothing to do with the topic ?