Islamophobia in Canada

12 minutes ago, marcus said:

It's not the religion. A Muslim in Bangladesh who is okay with hacking a blogger because of something he didn't like does not represent a Muslim who doesn't accept this act.

Your emotions and bigotry is primitive. 

Did you get as emotional and angry when the guy in Charlottesville ran into a crowd with his car? What about the Quebec guy who shot up a mosque? Of course not. They weren't Muslim.

I am almost certain, just like most other profiled attackers, that they're unstable and impressionable loners, with anger issues, who are easily manipulated into taking actions such as they did.

It's interesting that you are okay with taking the actions of this guy in Edmonton as the mindset of Muslims/Islam, but the fact that every Muslim organization in Edmonton has put out statements and have spoken out against the violence by this unstable guy is nothing to you.

Your way of thinking is primitive.

No it isn't. I just describe primitive acts as primitive, and barbaric acts as barbaric, when they are, without regard for your sensibilities. Your way of thinking is limited by self imposed blinkers.  I don't get emotional. I just don't care to be sensitive. I am on record here as being just as disgusted by the mosque killing as anyone else. I don't remember arguing about Charlottesville, but I am equally disgusted by the driver's act there. The only difference is frequency, not barbarism.  I don't see too much of the other stuff over here, but my attitude would remain the same.  If  Christian hacked someone to death in Toronto for a blaspheming tweet I would be just as disgusted.  More surprised, is all  

I agree wholeheartedly with your second sentence. It's exactly my point. It makes your first sentence meaningless  

Calling me a bigot when I am not is cowardly. You are the one who refuses to accept the criticism of those who richly deserve it. 

6 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

No it isn't. I just describe primitive acts as primitive, and barbaric acts as barbaric, when they are, without regard for your sensibilities. Your way of thinking is limited by self imposed blinkers.  I don't get emotional. I just don't care to be sensitive. I am on record here as being just as disgusted by the mosque killing as anyone else. I don't remember arguing about Charlottesville, but I am equally disgusted by the driver's act there. The only difference is frequency, not barbarism.  I don't see too much of the other stuff over here, but my attitude would remain the same.  If  Christian hacked someone to death in Toronto for a blaspheming tweet I would be just as disgusted.  More surprised, is all  

I agree wholeheartedly with your second sentence. It's exactly my point. It makes your first sentence meaningless  

Calling me a bigot when I am not is cowardly. You are the one who refuses to accept the criticism of those who richly deserve it. 

Why do you take the action of that one person in Edmonton over the action and sentiment of the thousands of other Muslims in Edmonton who fully condemned the incident as the representation of Islam and Muslims?

Edited by marcus

3 minutes ago, marcus said:

Why do you take the action of that one person in Edmonton over the action and sentiment of the thousands of other Muslims in Edmonton who fully condemned the incident as the representation of Islam and Muslims?

I don't. I appreciate the views of any Muslims who condemn any egregious act in the name of their religion. They certainly have no obligation to express those views and indeed, they could be taking a risk in doing so.  They are part of the many who are not from my previous post. One of the most difficult things to get across in these arguments is the point that that is exactly what one is not doing.  

I'm talking about the others. Try it. What do you think of them?

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I'm not going to look at some disgusting religious excess and tell myself it's okay because my country was at war elsewhere and elsewhen.

No one is saying religious excess is okay and so long as you're going to continue believing that people are saying that and ignoring the fact that understanding something is not the same as supporting it, your thinking will remain forever deluded, primitive and as such actually act to contribute to the problem.

Edited by eyeball

6 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No one is saying religious excess is okay and so long as you're going to continue believing that and ignoring the fact that understanding something is not the same as supporting it your thinking will remain forever deluded, primitive and as such actually act to contribute to the problem.

Some people do try and avoid saying it is not okay. 

I never said it was the same.  I don't care.  I don't understand why a Somali has to stab a cop in Edmonton, or why someone has to yell Allahu Akbar before slitting a woman's throat in France, but if I did, I would be just as disgusted. 

I would be disgusted if a relative of either victim went and took revenge on an unsuspecting Muslim, too. 

Edited by bcsapper

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

I'm talking about the others. Try it. What do you think of them?

What others? We have over a million Muslims in Canada. We have had less than handful of terrorist attacks attributed to Muslims in Canada that have killed less people than the one shooting at the mosque in Quebec. Which Muslims are your representation of Muslims?

3 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Some people do try and avoid saying it is not okay. 

I never said it was the same.  I don't care.  I don't understand why a Somali has to stab a cop in Edmonton, or why someone has to yell Allahu Akbar before slitting a woman's throat in France, but if I did, I would be just as disgusted. 

I would be disgusted if a relative of either victim went and took revenge on an unsuspecting Muslim, too. 

I'd be disgusted too.

You associate yourself very clearly and closely with people who make no effort not to conflate understanding with support.  Why you don't care is your business.  I don't care if it offends you to be associated with racist assholes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

I'd be disgusted too.

But you'd understand?

You associate yourself very clearly and closely with people who make no effort not to conflate understanding with support.  Why you don't care is your business.  I don't care if it offends you to be associated with racist assholes. 

That's okay.  No-one says you have to care.

Edit> I don't understand that guy in Las Vegas either, though.  I'm an equal opportunity not understander.

Edited by bcsapper

7 hours ago, marcus said:

What others? We have over a million Muslims in Canada. We have had less than handful of terrorist attacks attributed to Muslims in Canada that have killed less people than the one shooting at the mosque in Quebec. Which Muslims are your representation of Muslims?

From a previous post in this argument:

Many of them are backwards barbarians with primitive, disgusting attitudes towards anyone who doesn't follow their interpretations to the letter. Many are not. I only worry about those who are.  

The others would be the many who are not.  I don't care about them, any more than I care about anyone else who isn't an arsehole.  Other than generally wishing them well of course.

I was talking about all of the rest, though.  Not just Canadians.

Edited by bcsapper

22 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Sorry.  I never said it's ok, I responded to 'wake up before it's too late !'.  So your bollocks is bollocks.

The question is how to respond.  Chicken Littles who hate Western society want to remake us into a Christian theocracy, or something.  It's hard to tell what this 'wake up call' is for, exactly and these folks don't like to say.

Wake up to the fact that canada is changing fast and not for the good. We have islam problems because we have allowed islam in and it is slowly taking advantage of this country.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/09/29/public-school-board-guide-pushes-muslim-greetings-during-morning-announcements-and-other-intrusions

Let the silliness begin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PIK said:

Wake up to the fact that canada is changing fast and not for the good. We have islam problems because we have allowed islam in and it is slowly taking advantage of this country.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/09/29/public-school-board-guide-pushes-muslim-greetings-during-morning-announcements-and-other-intrusions

Let the silliness begin.

So, exactly how has your life changed under Islam?

4 minutes ago, PIK said:

Let the silliness begin.

Interesting article - at least we finally have a definition of Islamophobia that Muslims are happy with:

The guidebook, which seems to have been released in late September, appears to be heavily influenced by the National Council of Canadian Muslims, an activist organization based out of Ottawa.  The RCMP pulled its support from a booklet published by the NCCM on extremism due to their problem with its “adversarial tone.

While parliamentarians are currently grappling with how to define the term Islamophobia, the guide offers a broad definition to be recited to students that includes the mere dislike of political Islam: “Islamophobia refers to fear, prejudice, hatred or dislike directed against Islam or Muslims, or towards Islamic politics or culture.”

"Any dislike of Islam's politics or culture".  I'm not sure how much clearer the agenda could be.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dialamah said:

It does not affect me. I don't worry about myself. I worry about people that have to live under such repulsive laws. It sickens me to think that women living in canada in fear, because of a regressive religion. Every society has its evilness especially islam. If Islam was such a beautiful or peaceful religion, there would be not problems, but it is not. Nor does it every want to be either.

• Like 2

Just now, PIK said:

It does not affect me. I don't worry about myself. I worry about people that have to live under such repulsive laws. It sickens me to think that women living in canada in fear, because of a regressive religion. Every society has its evilness especially islam. If Islam was such a beautiful or peaceful religion, there would be not problems, but it is not. Nor does it every want to be either.

It's VERY telling to me that when pressed, dialamah is incapable of providing evidence of the peaceful Islam that apparently exists exclusive to terrorism and intolerance. The Quran is online...so unless it's a big secret to be hidden from the Infidels...I'm not sure where this Islam actually exists. Not Saudi Arabia...apparently...Islam's birthplace.

25 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Canadians first real taste of political Islam (imo) came in 1973 when OPEC decided to punish any country that supported the hated Israel after the failed Arab invasion on Yom Kippur...ie Jews. Canada was one of those countries. Many good people where financially ruined as a result.

16 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

It's VERY telling to me that when pressed, dialamah is incapable of providing evidence of the peaceful Islam that apparently exists exclusive to terrorism and intolerance. The Quran is online...so unless it's a big secret to be hidden from the Infidels...I'm not sure where this Islam actually exists. Not Saudi Arabia...apparently...Islam's birthplace.

And let's be clear...she can't as there isn't any evidence to back this 'peaceful' claim up. Often, the Quran's verse 5:32 is hauled out and deliberately misquoted in order to give Islam a 'peaceful' spin...

For example: Whoever kills a soul it is as if he had slain mankind entirely...And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely.

No doubt you've all seen this line by now...however it is incorrect/incomplete. The full verse is...

Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs. Then indeed many of them, [even] after that, throughout the land, were transgressors.

https://quran.com/5/32

As we can see: there are two exceptions to that 'rule'.

8 minutes ago, PIK said:

Yeah, I don't like religion either.   

In Egypt, the Christian Copts are planning a conference on homosexuality.   It's a sin, or an illness, and they want to determine the best way of 'treating' it.  The Christian Coptic Church also segregates women from the men during services, and tells women they should submit to and obey their husbands.   Coptic Christians also encourage women to cover their hair to show their modesty, humility and to avoid distracting men with their long, beautiful locks.

Religion sucks, especially for women.

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Yeah, I don't like religion either.   

In Egypt, the Christian Copts are planning a conference on homosexuality.   It's a sin, or an illness, and they want to determine the best way of 'treating' it.  The Christian Coptic Church also segregates women from the men during services, and tells women they should submit to and obey their husbands.   Coptic Christians also encourage women to cover their hair to show their modesty, humility and to avoid distracting men with their long, beautiful locks.

Religion sucks, especially for women.

Lots of Coptic terrorist attacks...tripped over a few just trying to feed the dogs.

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

It's VERY telling to me that when pressed, dialamah is incapable of providing evidence of the peaceful Islam that apparently exists exclusive to terrorism and intolerance. 

And let's be clear...she can't as there isn't any evidence to back this 'peaceful' claim up. Often, the Quran's verse 5:32 is hauled out and deliberately misquoted in order to give Islam a 'peaceful' spin...

I can and have.  When I have, you have claimed these aren't "real Muslims" because they aren't following the violent texts you claim are the "real Islam".   So, GFY.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

Lots of Coptic terrorist attacks...tripped over a few just trying to feed the dogs.

True, but we weren't talking about terror attacks, were we?  We were discussing how awful Islam is for women.  

If you want to talk about Christian terror attacks, look no farther than the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.   Sure, they'll put it out there that he was some lone wolf, or disturbed or something - but he's a white guy from a Christian country, ergo he's a Christian and this is a Christian terror attack.

See, I can use the same logic you do, DoP.