Islamophobia in Canada

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

That is such bollocks. It's like telling people it's okay if the engine on an Air France plane explodes because no one was hurt and it doesn't happen very often. One still finds out why and tries to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

If you just want to swap bollocks, that's fun, but it's no argument.

Well, let me repeat once again: at no point did I say anything here was 'ok'.  Why are we circling back on this discussion?  If an engine explodes, it needs to be investigated but we don't ban planes because it happens even once a year, we look at the problem and fix it.

Edited by Michael Hardner

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

Well, let me repeat once again: at no point did I say anything here was 'ok'.  Why are we circling back.  If an engine explodes, it needs to be investigated but we don't ban planes because it happens even once a year, we look at the problem and fix it.

But we don't shy away from admitting it might be a problem, and we don't say "hey, it could have been any engine."

What the hell is wrong with acknowledging the truth?  Islam is as far from being a religion of peace as I am from dancing with the Bolshoi.

Just now, bcsapper said:

But we don't shy away from admitting it might be a problem, and we don't say "hey, it could have been any engine."

No, but I didn't say it's not a problem nor did I say this attack had nothing to do with Islam or anything else.  You have been defending this other poster's lame posts for several responses now, why not let him attempt to defend his hysteria all on his own ?  He's a big boy.

Islam is as far from being a religion of peace as I am from dancing with the Bolshoi.

This discussion is proceeding at a snail's pace.  One poster made a hysterical call to arms, and you defended him by posting an incorrect analogy on me and now you're strawmanning, or something, to the effect that this discussion will be about nothing  once again.  Be specific about what you're criticizing and what you're asserting.

Can you not just find a simple point between these two:

-admitting it [Islam] MIGHT be a problem ?

-asserting that it's as far from a religion of peace as...

Just now, bcsapper said:

What the hell is wrong with acknowledging the truth?  Islam is as far from being a religion of peace as I am from dancing with the Bolshoi.

If you want to say Islam promotes violence, then you must also say that the West promotes violence.  The US has been at war, somewhere, for all but a few years of its existence.  Canada is not far behind.  Sure, we can tell ourselves we.are.on the side of "good" but the people on the other side of our violence would not agree.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

No, but I didn't say it's not a problem nor did I say this attack had nothing to do with Islam or anything else.  You have been defending this other poster's lame posts for several responses now, why not let him attempt to defend his hysteria all on his own ?  He's a big boy.

This discussion is proceeding at a snail's pace.  One poster made a hysterical call to arms, and you defended him by posting an incorrect analogy on me and now you're strawmanning, or something, to the effect that this discussion will be about nothing  once again.  Be specific about what you're criticizing and what you're asserting.

Can you not just find a simple point between these two:

-admitting it [Islam] MIGHT be a problem ?

-asserting that it's as far from a religion of peace as...

Islam is definitely a problem, and it is definitely not a religion of peace.  That doesn't mean I'm building a bunker, or am about to start a 21st century crusade.

Just now, bcsapper said:

Islam is definitely a problem, and it is definitely not a religion of peace.  That doesn't mean I'm building a bunker, or am about to start a 21st century crusade.

Ok, thanks for that.  Looks like we're close to on the same side, especially when it comes to bunker building.

14 minutes ago, dialamah said:

If you want to say Islam promotes violence, then you must also say that the West promotes violence.  The US has been at war, somewhere, for all but a few years of its existence.  Canada is not far behind.  Sure, we can tell ourselves we.are.on the side of "good" but the people on the other side of our violence would not agree.

I don't think anyone who has even a passing concern for history would do that.  You agree then, that Islam promotes violence?

6 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I don't think anyone who has even a passing concern for history would do that.  You agree then, that Islam promotes violence?

Nope. Islam doesn't promote violence any more than I think Democracy promotes the violence the US and Canada have been involved in.

1 minute ago, dialamah said:

Nope. Islam doesn't promote violence any more than I think Democracy promotes the violence the US and Canada have been involved in.

Oh well, at least we found somewhere we differ.

21 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Islam is definitely a problem, and it is definitely not a religion of peace. 

So stop stirring it up.  What is it about sticking your dingus in a hornets nest that you people don't get?

11 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

It certainly reacts violently to being stirred up.

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

So stop stirring it up.  What is it about sticking your dingus in a hornets nest that you people don't get?

It certainly reacts violently to being stirred up.

It reacts violently to a lot of things.  Cartoons, for instance.  Bloggers.  Gays.  Blasphemers and apostates.  Adulterers.

And being stirred up, sure.  By an Eskimo's game in this instance, I think.  Well that's fair enough. CFL, what are you gonna do.

4 minutes ago, Rue said:

Here we go back to the myth that Muslim extremists and terrorists don't do anything unless provoked.

Yah they say that about wasps too.

Here we are smack in the middle of the myth that the west is entirely faultless and blameless for any of the shit or hornets that have been stirred up.

23 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

People promote violence.

Religions, written by men,  are full of contradiction within themselves. You can find hundreds of teachings in the Old/New Testament + Koran that contradict each other. You have everything from peaceful, thoughtful passages to violent passages. 

Your focus on violence in only Muslim cultures only cements the topic of this thread.

Edited by marcus

It reacts violently to a lot of things.  Cartoons, for instance.  Bloggers.  Gays.  Blasphemers and apostates.  Adulterers.

You can't think of anything else besides what you've listed?

Try a little harder.

2 minutes ago, marcus said:

People promote violence.

Religions, written by men,  are full of contradiction within themselves. You can find hundreds of teachings in the Old/New Testament + Koran that contradict each other. You have everything from peaceful, thoughtful passages to violent passages. 

Your focus on violence in only Muslim cultures only cements the topic of this thread.

The focus on religious violence currently going on is proportional to the religion promoting it.

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

Ooh, good one.  I have to go for a walk so I'll have to let that slide...

It's true you folks do keep quite busy actually; at deflecting, ignoring, forgetting, mocking...especially mocking...any suggestion whatsoever that the west is entirely blameless and faultless to a tee when it comes to the fundie violence, including Islams, being stirred up in the world.

5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

It's true you folks do keep quite busy actually; at deflecting, ignoring, forgetting, mocking...especially mocking...any suggestion whatsoever that the west is entirely blameless and faultless to a tee when it comes to the fundie violence, including Islams, being stirred up in the world.

Especially mocking is protected freedom of expression....even in Canada.    Stabbings....not so much.