How is $2.10/ liter of gasoline going to affect you, if at all?

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

Sorry...I cant feel an ounce of sympathy for teachers. Here in Ontario on March 21, mask mandates end. But the teachers are now trying to extend that a month for kids in school.

Absolutely absurd idea considering that kids would not need to wear a mask everywhere else they went.

There is no masking by half-measures.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Indeed they have. Just another reason I feel no pity for teachers right now.

I don’t like the unions, but I feel for most teachers, who worked a lot harder than most of the work-from-home white collar crowd out there.  I honestly don’t know what some executives did working from home for the past two years, apart from printing money.  Parliament barely sat too.  These are the people who don’t want the pandemic to end and who don’t have to work in PPE all day.  

18 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I don’t like the unions, but I feel for most teachers, who worked a lot harder than most of the work-from-home white collar crowd out there.  I honestly don’t know what some executives did working from home for the past two years, apart from printing money.  Parliament barely sat too.  These are the people who don’t want the pandemic to end and who don’t have to work in PPE all day.  

Yet its the Teacher's Union that has cause so much shit.

To be clear...any individual teacher who honestly worked daily during this fake pandemic, needs to be applauded. However...I happen to know that remote teaching was and is a tragic joke. There was no cause for it ever and most of the students learned 2 things over the last couple years;

1. Windows lets you play games in one pane, while the teacher talks on another.

2. How to cheat on tests held remotely.

The teachers never HAD to wear PPE all day. They CHOSE to. They preached PPE. They still do. It was all mean spirited and had zero to do with the students.

I'm sorry Zeitgeist...you and I usually see eye to eye. But on this one I can't agree. In fact...I'd go as far as firing all their asses right now, breaking the back of that Gawd Damn union, and hire back any and all who want to actually teach for a living, instead of preach for a living.

16 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I used to watch Stephen Colbert.  I can’t anymore.  He has said some absolutely ridiculous things about being willing to pay $15 a gallon to have a clear conscience though he drives a Tesla.  Just another out of touch rich brat, but he’s “green” so give him sainthood.  

The guy is a hack.  The left needs to realize when you preach it doesn't make it funny.  Colbert is suppose to be a comedian.  I know easy for multi-millionaires to lecture us.  We are the horses and cows and they are the pigs.

4 hours ago, Nationalist said:

To be clear...any individual teacher who honestly worked daily during this fake pandemic, needs to be applauded. However...I happen to know that remote teaching was and is a tragic joke. There was no cause for it ever and most of the students learned 2 things over the last couple years;

The worst part is that there ARE lots of teachers who work hard and make differences in their students' lives.  The Teacher's Union, however, has turned it into a sad joke where nothing more than the bare minimum is required and far too many of the teachers offer nothing more.  

It's been almost 20 years since I was in school but I would say that 1/5 of the teachers I had in high school taught me anything.   The other 4/5 were glorified babysitters who did little more than grade tests and projects. Everything I learned was from my textbooks.  My chemistry teacher in my final year of high school had been using the same tests every year for as long as anyone could remember.  We got one of my friend's older sisters to give us her mid-term exam (she was 3 years older than us) and our mid-term was identical.  Thanks for helping me get my scholarships, teach!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Yet its the Teacher's Union that has cause so much shit.

1. Windows lets you play games in one pane, while the teacher talks on another.

2. How to cheat on tests held remotely.

The teachers never HAD to wear PPE all day. They CHOSE to. They preached PPE. They still do. It was all mean spirited and had zero to do with the students.

I'm sorry Zeitgeist...you and I usually see eye to eye. But on this one I can't agree. In fact...I'd go as far as firing all their asses right now, breaking the back of that Gawd Damn union, and hire back any and all who want to actually teach for a living, instead of preach for a living.

Well I know a lot about the topic so I won’t get into it.  Teachers had to wear visors and masks.  Many had their own kids at home while they had to teach.  Anyway, like most jobs, you get out of it what you put into it, but the adaptation to teaching online and having to be an essential worker with a room full of kids wasn’t easy, especially for the immune-compromised.  I’d certainly put it up against most other jobs out there for difficulty during the pandemic.  Nevertheless, there are wasters in teaching as in other jobs and I don’t think the unions helped.  Government jobs, while having more security, also have a lot of compromise.

An electric car is out of the question for me as I have a 180km daily commute to and from work. The notion of having to add another half hour or more every two days to charge before I even get home won't work. I was car pooling with one other guy and now we have another to share the driving. This recent massive hike in the cost of gas will have a disproportionate effect on poor people but that means nothing to someone like Justin Trudeau who was fortunate to have been born into wealth. The nearest small town to me is about a 25 min drive. I used to think nothing of it to drive there on a weekend to shop but I will no longer take that drive. My car is a compact four cylinder. I don't see anything on the market that fits my budget and needs. Hyundai's two electric models are around 45 grand. The Nissan Leaf is too small and the range too little. Chevrolet's models are around 40 grand and then there's the iffy GM reliability. When there's an electric car for around 25 grand with 500km range then that will get my attention. The elephant in the room for more electric cars in the future is going to be the resistance from environmentalists to the most sensible source of electricity, nuclear.

I might bite the bullet and retire earlier than I planned. I do think the Trudeau and Biden governments are privately thrilled about the price of gas now.

Motor Mouth: Why the Freedom Convoy spells trouble for EVs | Driving

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ironstone said:

I don't see anything on the market that fits my budget and needs.

I hear the maintenance costs can also be high on these. A new battery is like 20 thousand. That’s a lotta simoleons.

People think this is an inprovement but the heavy metals used in these are also major pollutants. Not simply inert co2 but toxic materials. Lithium mining is apparently a dirty business.

Soon the amount of cadmium and lead in the landfill will increase. It’s questionable whether these technologies produce a net beneficial result.

It’s yer Environ- mental.  :wacko:

Now that Putin attacked the Chernobyl and Zaporizh reactor facilities, it reveals how they are vulnerable to sabotage or being attacked in war. In the public’s eyes nuclear now presents another risk. Kind of genius really. But I digress.

yay cars.

;) 

Edited by OftenWrong

Having the latest green tech is a lot like knowing the latest woke language.  It’s mostly empty virtue signalling that doesn’t change the world for the better. The environmental footprint of EV batteries is pretty egregious.  It’s a high price game to look like you’re saving the planet, but it’s mostly just another way of distinguishing yourself from the rif-raf, like wearing Lululemon or drinking Starbucks.  

I don't think most new vehicles actually get the advertised mpg or range that the manufacturers claim whether it's an ice or electric. My car is rated at up to 5.7 litres/100km and that's usually what's indicated on the info display but the few times I've checked it myself it averaged 6.4 so the indicated mileage is somewhat optimistic. I just watched a video on Youtube about some guy driving a Tesla a distance of 85km with an initial indicated range of 415km. After arriving at his destination the display indicated that 126 odd km of range was actually used. Now this was in Ireland and the guy explained the charging station issues with electric cars.

On 3/10/2022 at 9:37 PM, WestCanMan said:

2) I don't think you understand how many people work in the construction trades in BC, and how hard it is to carry building supplies in a Tesla.

3) If you own a car and you end up renting a truck twice a month you don't save money. 

Construction trades?  This will not explain why 90% of our vehicles on the road are pickups, monster trucks and generally the bigger, the higher off the road, the dirtier, the uglier, the better !

It is just a big Canadian cultural fart !

17 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Well I know a lot about the topic so I won’t get into it.  Teachers had to wear visors and masks.  Many had their own kids at home while they had to teach.  Anyway, like most jobs, you get out of it what you put into it, but the adaptation to teaching online and having to be an essential worker with a room full of kids wasn’t easy, especially for the immune-compromised.  I’d certainly put it up against most other jobs out there for difficulty during the pandemic.  Nevertheless, there are wasters in teaching as in other jobs and I don’t think the unions helped.  Government jobs, while having more security, also have a lot of compromise.

Immune-compromised people maybe should not be teachers.

People who either don't like, or can't control kids, should also not be teachers.

Our entire teaching institution needs a bloody enema.

6 hours ago, cougar said:

Construction trades?  This will not explain why 90% of our vehicles on the road are pickups, monster trucks and generally the bigger, the higher off the road, the dirtier, the uglier, the better !

Once you get enough of these big vehicles it becomes a safety issue to drive a small car.

Clearly from a survival point of view in an accident you’re better off to have a lot more steel wrapped around you.

Small cars are also unsafe around pickups etc. because you can’t see. They’re too low.

I had to drive to Toronto in a snowstorm once. It’s a 3 hour drive. I rented me a truck, Nissan Pro 4x and I tell ya, never felt so safe behind the wheel on the 401. This was in a blizzard.

I could go 120...

And as long as people are able to go 120, you better have some goddam steel wrapped around your ass.

That’s the more fundamental problem, I think.

Bring back the horse.

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

Immune-compromised people maybe should not be teachers.

People who either don't like, or can't control kids, should also not be teachers.

Our entire teaching institution needs a bloody enema.

I agree completely with your second two points, but I won’t get into the first point, as it’s a story that will have to be told later on, and it’s not about immune compromised people choosing the teaching profession. 

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

And as long as people are able to go 120, you better have some goddam steel wrapped around your ass.

Bring back the horse.

Or bring on speed governors so it's impossible to go faster than 80.

Let me guess, too authoritarian?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Or bring on speed governors so it's impossible to go faster than 80.

Let me guess, too authoritarian?  

In the brave new world, computers will decide how fast you can go.

And also where you are allowed to go.

Computers are non-partisan...

;)

40 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I agree completely with your second two points, but I won’t get into the first point, as it’s a story that will have to be told later on, and it’s not about immune compromised people choosing the teaching profession. 

OK.

Instead, I'll tell you a story...

My wife and I had twin boys in 2001. By 2003 I had them on skates in our yard. By the time they were old enough to play organized hockey, they were begging to play. So I coached them...from the age of 5 till they were teens. I coached basically the same group of kids, give or take, all those years in succession. My dad did the same for my brother and I with baseball. So I used one of his techniques. I have a very loud whistle. Much louder and ear-piercing than a ref's whistle. I also have a rather loud and powerful voice. I ran that team, year after year, with strict rule and command. And ya know what? The kids loved it. I loved it too. I always stressed respect and honour. The parents loved that. To this day, in our community, I run into the young men I coached, and their parents. We visit and catch-up on things. They still call me "Coach".

The point being..."teachers" must be a lot of things. I was a volunteer. But I both wanted to volunteer and completely enjoyed doing it. I setup a command situation and maintained command. I had the skills to produce good results. Any person who cannot execute these basic requirements when dealing with young children, should not be a "teacher".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

In the brave new world, computers will decide how fast you can go.

And also where you are allowed to go.

Computers are non-partisan...

;)

I'll probably stop driving during the intervening period where the from-my-dead-cold-hands contingent collides with the hands-free crowd.  Personally I can't wait until the day comes when I can tell my car to drive me home while I crack a cold one, spark up a doobie, kick back, and enjoy the ride.

I'm just afraid my car will be woke and instead I'll be offered a carrot stick, a glass of water and then scolded for my bad habits.

11 hours ago, cougar said:

90%? 

FYI I live in Langley and even here, the most country-urban environment in the lower mainland, there aren't a lot of pickup trucks. Of the 30 cars that I just looked at on my street, only two are pickups, and one is at the construction site across the road.

People don't have to take my word for it though: if you go to google, and then select google maps, you can click on the little yellow man from the bottom-right corner of the screen, and drop him onto any road in Langley, and you'll be able to see all the cars on the road or in the driveways there. 

It's not 90% trucks. It's closer to 10% tesla and other EVs.

3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Once you get enough of these big vehicles it becomes a safety issue to drive a small car.

Clearly from a survival point of view in an accident you’re better off to have a lot more steel wrapped around you.

Small cars are also unsafe around pickups etc. because you can’t see. They’re too low.

I had to drive to Toronto in a snowstorm once. It’s a 3 hour drive. I rented me a truck, Nissan Pro 4x and I tell ya, never felt so safe behind the wheel on the 401. This was in a blizzard.

I could go 120...

Bring back the horse.

I don't know if you are often wrong, but this time you are.

A deadly accident on the highway yesterday - the guy in the pickup died because he hit a bigger truck.  It is now mostly big rigs, logging trucks, fuel tanker trucks and pickups on the highway.

As for your safety in the snow, don't take it for granted.  This is what happened to me on a sunny February day with temps above zero.  Simply nobody bothered to put sand on a section of black ice and nobody bothered to issue an alert. The company truck that was.

2001668485.jpg

14 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

90%? 

FYI I live in Langley and even here, the most country-urban environment in the lower mainland, there aren't a lot of pickup trucks. Of the 30 cars that I just looked at on my street, only two are pickups, and one is at the construction site across the road.

In the Vancouver area numbers will be different, given the high percentage of immigrants and other factors.  Go further into the interior or in the north and look there.