How is $2.10/ liter of gasoline going to affect you, if at all?

We had the stupid carbon tax of whatever percent supposed to change our habits and protect the environment , but gas was still at $1.05 to $1.35 / liter.    Now it is up to $2+

Is this going to change your lifestyle this summer?    Do you see any other prices going up as a result of the gas price increase?

Can your income handle it?

56 minutes ago, cougar said:

We had the stupid carbon tax of whatever percent supposed to change our habits and protect the environment , but gas was still at $1.05 to $1.35 / liter.    Now it is up to $2+

Is this going to change your lifestyle this summer?    Do you see any other prices going up as a result of the gas price increase?

Speaking as someone who burns through anywhere from 125 - 250 liters of fuel everyday it's certainly going to be an interesting year.  If bookings are anything to go by it doesn't seem to be slowing down people's travel plans to my region.  Maybe people figure if the Apocalypse is coming they might as well get out and see the world while they still can.  I think whatever trepidation people might have for travelling due to current events will be offset by a pent-up post-COVID desire to get out anyway.  Depressing scary times will also compel people to escape anywhere they can find some relief.     

I honestly think we might be on the cusp of one of our busiest years yet.

Edited by eyeball

These fuel prices are a serious blow and are driving up the cost of living substantially, not just for fuel itself.  I have to drop my child a large distance each morning before going to work.  I can’t move because my wife also has to get to work in a different direction.  This is just one more example of government that sets policies to meet arbitrary goals that have negative consequences for millions of people.  It’s simply unethical.

While I don’t deny that there may be human made climate change and it may even be likely, we really don’t know to what extent humans are causing this, nor do we know what the consequences will be of that human impact.  We do know the tremendous impact of poverty and lack of energy security for billions of people.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

Speaking as someone who burns through anywhere from 125 - 250 liters of fuel everyday it's certainly going to be an interesting year.  If bookings are anything to go by it doesn't seem to be slowing down people's travel plans to my region.  Maybe people figure if the Apocalypse is coming they might as well get out and see the world while they still can.  I think whatever trepidation people might have for travelling due to current events will be offset by a pent-up post-COVID desire to get out anyway.  Depressing scary times will also compel people to escape anywhere they can find some relief.     

I honestly think we might be on the cusp of one of our busiest years yet.

Yes but once people see their debt levels rise substantially along with interest rates, and once it’s clear to people that the credit lines are shrinking, well, it won’t have to be Covid that keeps people at home because the extremely high cost of living will do it for us.

This is all a direct result of governments refusing to allow oil and gas development, as well as the imposition of carbon taxes, vaccine mandates on truckers (still in place), excessive government spending during the pandemic, and now further reductions of supply due to the invasion in Ukraine (cutting off Russian oil and gas which is 4-5% of US supply and much more for the EU).

Also, Russia could’ve been better handled prior to invasion if clear limits were set on NATO expansion.  I wonder how much emissions are rising because of unnecessary war?  John Kerry thinks probably a lot.  Well John, maybe look at the policies of leaders like Biden and Trudeau.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

6 hours ago, cougar said:

Yeah it would be interesting to see if that gets temporarily suspended or reverted.  

I think it will for a lot of people.  Realistically the cost of fuel is not going to be a big factor for most people's vacations, with it being a relatively small portion of the overall budget.  What's more problematic is the trickle-down from everything else.  Everything gets more expensive when fuel prices are high, so people's vacation plans are going to be more affected by their dollar not going as far in general before they even factor-in the extra travel cost.   

Sure, but I don't think that's what's really important.  It's more how this affects the average Canadian, or even the less-fortunate.  

It impacts everyone to a large extent, if not now then over time.  Consider this: In Ontario public sector workers have their wages capped at an increase of 1% per year.  We’ve already seen 5.5% inflation on the cost of living (likely getting much worse now).   That means that these workers are already more than 4% poorer than they were last year.

I got an EV. Best decision I've ever made. I still have an ICE Hybrid, but only fill that up once every month or so. 

I can't imagine the stress someone who has to commute more than 50 kms each day must be going through. 

But honestly, if you didn't see huge price increases coming, you weren't paying attention. I remember preparing myself for $1.50/litre gas price is 2011.  

12 minutes ago, Boges said:

I got an EV. Best decision I've ever made. I still have an ICE Hybrid, but only fill that up once every month or so. 

I can't imagine the stress someone who has to commute more than 50 kms each day must be going through. 

But honestly, if you didn't see huge price increases coming, you weren't paying attention. I remember preparing myself for $1.50/litre gas price is 2011.  

Most workers can’t afford decent EV’s or hybrids.  That’s the problem.  Green options are often expensive.  They’re like the organic section at the grocer’s.  

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

Most workers can’t afford decent EV’s or hybrids.  That’s the problem.  Green options are often expensive.  They’re like the organic section at the grocer’s.  

Not necessarily. Lots of SUVs on the road. Those are 40-50k new. 

Cheap new cars are going away. The margins are too low for car companies to justify making them. 

I think people need to evaluate if commuting is worth it, especially when COVID has taught us that almost all White-Collar work can be done from home. 

9 minutes ago, Boges said:

Not necessarily. Lots of SUVs on the road. Those are 40-50k new. 

Cheap new cars are going away. The margins are too low for car companies to justify making them. 

I think people need to evaluate if commuting is worth it, especially when COVID has taught us that almost all White-Collar work can be done from home. 

Most people don’t do white collar work and have no choice but to commute.  Most people don’t have 40-50k to spend on a vehicle.  I’m convinced that the new divide in our society is between the managerial/executive class and everyone else.  Unfortunately most politicians identify with the former.  That’s why Trudeau seems so out of touch with workers, because he is out of touch with them.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Most people don’t do white collar work and have no choice but to commute.  Most people don’t have 40-50k to spend on a vehicle.  I’m convinced that the new divide in our society is between the managerial/executive class and everyone else.  Unfortunately most politicians identify with the former.  That’s why Trudeau seems so out of touch with workers, because he is out of touch with them.  

Blue Collar workers in trades actually make a very good living. Fewer and fewer people are willing to commute long distances if it doesn't come with good compensation. 

Even as we come out of the pandemic, I've noticed traffic isn't as bad as it was before. Many people are staying home. 

A private vehicle ultimately is a luxury, not a right.

6 minutes ago, Boges said:

Blue Collar workers in trades actually make a very good living. Fewer and fewer people are willing to commute long distances if it doesn't come with good compensation. 

Even as we come out of the pandemic, I've noticed traffic isn't as bad as it was before. Many people are staying home. 

A private vehicle ultimately is a luxury, not a right.

Willing?  You make it sound like most people have all these wonderful options available to them.  

Sorry but you’re completely wrong.  Many people who have to go to their workplaces can’t get by with public transit, especially if they have kids and have moved outside the city because of housing costs.  I can tell you’re at least upper middle class.  I am too and I feel the pinch of inflation.  This is a big reason why we have such a rift in our country, I believe.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

26 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Willing?  You make it sound like most people have all these wonderful options available to them.  

Especially when employers suppress wages and maximize profits. 

If you leave a major city for cheaper real estate, but still need to commute into work, you best be getting compensated in the bigger city for that obligation.

Otherwise, taking less money and not having to commute may be the better option. 

If we're talking low skill blue collar work. Say warehouse work. There's no reason a job like that should require a long commute, work like that should be available locally. 

4 minutes ago, Boges said:

Especially when employers suppress wages and maximize profits. 

If you leave a major city for cheaper real estate, but still need to commute into work, you best be getting compensated in the bigger city for that obligation.

Otherwise, taking less money and not having to commute may be the better option. 

If we're talking low skill blue collar work. Say warehouse work. There's no reason a job like that should require a long commute, work like that should be available locally. 

Should and would aren’t reality.  Working people are being squeezed beyond what is fair or reasonable for any green crusade.  The big bloated government apparatus with its identity politics and ideological special programs has to be gutted and the savings given back to workers.  Starve the beast.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

Teachers and nurses too, huh?  Just stop.

Teachers especially.  Ours are already amongst the highest paid in the world.  If I wanted to compare how hard a teacher's job is to a nurse's, I don't even know where I'd begin.  It just makes me giggle.  

You're obviously not a "real conservative" if you can't see the problems here.  ?

Edited by Moonbox

1 minute ago, Moonbox said:

Teachers especially.  Ours are already amongst the highest paid in the world.  If I wanted to compare how hard a teacher's job is to a nurse's, I don't even know where I'd begin.  It just makes me giggle.  

You're obviously not a "real conservative" if you can't see the problems here.  ?

Now I know you’re out of touch and have no idea what workers have had to deal with.  Teachers have had to work under hard conditions.  I wonder what you’ve had to deal with through the pandemic or if you’re even working.  Keeping digging a deeper hole for yourself.  

12 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Now I know you’re out of touch and have no idea what workers have had to deal with.  Teachers have had to work under hard conditions.  I wonder what you’ve had to deal with through the pandemic or if you’re even working.  Keeping digging a deeper hole for yourself.  

https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2015/11/25/canadian-teachers-among-top-paid-worldwide-study-finds.html

OECD finds us fourth highest of developed nations, according to new report on the state of education around the world.

Your conservative friends are aghast.  ?

4 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2015/11/25/canadian-teachers-among-top-paid-worldwide-study-finds.html

OECD finds us fourth highest of developed nations, according to new report on the state of education around the world.

Your conservative friends are aghast.  ?

Our public education scores highest on international tests of all English speaking countries.  Don’t even bother because I know a lot about this topic.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

Should and would aren’t reality.  Working people are being squeezed beyond what is fair or reasonable for any green crusade.  The big bloated government apparatus with its identity politics and ideological special programs has to be gutted and the savings given back to workers.  Starve the beast.  

If all taxes were taken off the price of Gas, we'd still be paying a relatively unaffordable price. 

Our current situation is 100% a result of the conflict in Ukraine. And profit taking from private companies. 

Carbon taxes and other excise taxes have been gradually increasing, giving people ample time to change their energy habits. 

Our public education scores highest on international tests of all English speaking countries.  Don’t even bother because I know a lot about this topic.  

Great, but they're still paid better than they need to be to work 9 months a year, especially considering the massive backlog of young (and better educated) teachers trying to find employment with the Boards. 

I'm curious how you reconcile this position with the fact that the Teacher's Unions endorse, fundraise and advertise for the Liberal or NDP party in every election.  In addition to being overpaid for their hours, training and education, are they also woke totalitarian fascists?  ?

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

I understand that nurses are being held to part-time employment and have to work multiple shifts at different locations to get full-time pay...without employer benefits.

As for teachers...a classic tale of a Union gone mad.