How is $2.10/ liter of gasoline going to affect you, if at all?

1 minute ago, Nationalist said:

I understand that nurses are being held to part-time employment and have to work multiple shifts at different locations to get full-time pay...without employer benefits.

As for teachers...a classic tale of a Union gone mad.

Look at that we agree on something.  

Personally I sympathize with nurses.  They go through a lot of schooling to work terrible hours in an emotionally taxing, stressful and sometimes dangerous environment.  

Teachers on the other hand?  Yeah.  Union gone mad.  

1 hour ago, Boges said:

If all taxes were taken off the price of Gas, we'd still be paying a relatively unaffordable price. 

Our current situation is 100% a result of the conflict in Ukraine. And profit taking from private companies. 

Carbon taxes and other excise taxes have been gradually increasing, giving people ample time to change their energy habits. 

No.  Biden shut down some domestic oil and gas production and canceled Keystone XL.  He also alienated Russia and the Saudis.  He doesn’t understand Reapoitik.  Stopping oil imports from Russia will hurt American and Canadian consumers, and Trudeau has been forced to follow suit.  Biden mismanaged Ukraine.  All he needed to do was provide assurance that NATO would stay out in exchange for Russia respecting Ukrainian sovereignty.  Trudeau’s carbon taxes and trucker vaccine mandates have added substantially to the cost of fuel.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Personally I sympathize with nurses.  They go through a lot of schooling to work terrible hours in an emotionally taxing, stressful and sometimes dangerous environment.  

You’re unbelievably wrong.  I bet you couldn’t last a day in a classroom, especially masked up with kids online at the same time as you’re teaching on-site students.  Clueless.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

No.  Biden shut down some domestic oil and gas production and canceled Keystone XL.  He also alienated Russia and the Saudis.  He doesn’t understand Reapoitik.  Stopping oil imports from Russia will hurt American and Canadian consumers, and Trudeau has been forced to follow suit.  Biden mismanaged Ukraine.  

Only because Oil is a Global commodity. Not because the US needs Russian Oil. They could get Oil from Iran, if they lifted all those sanctions. 

All he needed to do was provide assurance that NATO would stay out in exchange for Russia respecting Ukrainian sovereignty.  

"Stay Out" seems to be very subjective. 

Trudeau’s carbon taxes and trucker vaccine mandates have added substantially to the cost of fuel.  

Cite how Vaccine mandates have added to the price of fuel. 

33 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Nurses are getting a $5000 bonus to stick around.  If teaching is such an easy gig, why are so many leaving and why have boards had a staffing crisis?

1 minute ago, Boges said:

Only because Oil is a Global commodity. Not because the US needs Russian Oil. They could get Oil from Iran, if they lifted all those sanctions. 

"Stay Out" seems to be very subjective. 

Cite how Vaccine mandates have added to the price of fuel. 

Common sense.  10% of Canadian truckers off the road and probably 20% of American truckers off the road (for shipping to Canada) due to the vax mandates Trudeau added then Biden reciprocated.  

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

Great, but they're still paid better than they need to be to work 9 months a year, especially considering the massive backlog of young (and better educated) teachers trying to find employment with the Boards. 

I'm curious how you reconcile this position with the fact that the Teacher's Unions endorse, fundraise and advertise for the Liberal or NDP party in every election.  In addition to being overpaid for their hours, training and education, are they also woke totalitarian fascists?  ?

Well the unions often throw their own members under the bus, I’d agree.  I also think education is too politicized, especially in our woke-equity-green fascist dystopia.  

42 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

I raised twin testosterone freaks here. Been to the hospital many times. Wife had cancer too. Lots o' hospital time there as well. Heard lots of nurses...and doctors...complain about the way the admins run the hospitals.

I have a former gym teacher next door to me. He taught all 3 of my kids. great guy. Then they asked him to teach math and science. A gym teacher with a degree for teaching...gym. So he retired, took a full pension and got another job. The union did squat for him while he fought the new rule. So they lost a good gym teacher at the age of 50.

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

Nurses are getting a $5000 bonus to stick around.  If teaching is such an easy gig, why are so many leaving and why have boards had a staffing crisis?

I have come around to teachers a little bit.  My wife is one in the private school system and it IS a lot of work.  What is strange is that BC teachers are paupers compared to Alberta teachers.  Don't get it.  But if it is under paid why are there so many part time teachers unable to get full time work?

8 minutes ago, Faramir said:

I have come around to teachers a little bit.  My wife is one in the private school system and it IS a lot of work.  What is strange is that BC teachers are paupers compared to Alberta teachers.  Don't get it.  But if it is under paid why are there so many part time teachers unable to get full time work?

Private school teachers have a very different job than public school teachers.  For one thing, a private school teacher can actually lose their job without having to beat a student up first.  

1 minute ago, Moonbox said:

Private school teachers have a very different job than public school teachers.  For one thing, a private school teacher can actually lose their job without having to beat a student up first.  

Yeah, my wife basically forced me to get off Facebook.  She thought my positions politically could enrage some of the parents in the community and get her fired. They wouldn't even have to "fire" her.  Her contract is year by year and they could decide to not renew it.

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

If teaching is such an easy gig, why are so many leaving and why have boards had a staffing crisis?

Lots of teachers are retiring with good pensions and new teachers aren't getting certified in a reasonable amount of time.  Combine that with teachers having to stay at home because of COVID protocols and you have a nice little stew of dysfunction for the time being.  

8 minutes ago, Faramir said:

Yeah, my wife basically forced me to get off Facebook.  She thought my positions politically could enrage some of the parents in the community and get her fired. They wouldn't even have to "fire" her.  Her contract is year by year and they could decide to not renew it.

Yeah it's nothing like being a public school teacher.  

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

You’re unbelievably wrong.  I bet you couldn’t last a day in a classroom, especially masked up with kids online at the same time as you’re teaching on-site students.  Clueless.  

They shouldn't be masked. That's the dying remnants of the brigades. For the life of me, I could only find teachers grossly derelict in their duties with this masking and remote BS. Its as if they haven't got any reading capabilities. The "science" has spoken...over and over...that any person under the age of 18 is incredibly unlikely to die from The Rona. Its like...statistical zero. And that's part of the reason the reporting numbers were so badly fudged. Its hard to impose your will on people, when they are told the truth. Now, as the exercise has done its job, they begin relaxing things and say...'We grant you life, liberty and happiness again. Yes we made mistakes maybe but...it was a pandemic.'

An f'ing line of pure bull-offings if I ever heard one.

The fact is...the teachers acted in THEIR self-interests and not the kids. And they did it CONTRARY to the holy science. Hell they're still doing it!

Its gross.

Edited by Nationalist

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Man...it would be so HARD to have to work for 6.5 hours a day for 9 months a year, never having to worry about job security.  Those brave heroes.  

To be fair having to teach classrooms remotely online is horrible and every teacher I know is miserable doing it.  That's a fair point.  

56 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Yeah it's nothing like being a public school teacher.  

Nope.  One example is report cards.  She writes them and the VP goes back to her and tells her they are not good enough, and she has to write them again.  She spends at least minimum one hour doing prep work each night.  As an aside she makes 95% of what BC union teachers make.  And I make more money. So without disclosing too much about myself, we are well over $100,000 and we STILL cannot get ahead.  

2 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

No doubt.  So it's pretty tough to feel sorry for the Ontario teachers working 9 months a year and making almost $100k before benefits.   

$100,000!!!??? Seriously?  To be fair when one starts as a teacher in the public system they make a lot less than those who have been in the job for some time.  If public school teachers are paid THAT, I fear to ask what University professors make.

7 minutes ago, Faramir said:

$100,000!!!??? Seriously?  To be fair when one starts as a teacher in the public system they make a lot less than those who have been in the job for some time. 

The pay scale increases rapidly and it takes hardly any time to get to the top of it with a few accreditation courses.  

7 minutes ago, Faramir said:

If public school teachers are paid THAT, I fear to ask what University professors make.

Depends on the university professor, but universities don't offer tenure to anyone but the most prestigious and published researchers/educators in their field, so the majority of "professors" are on shitty short term contracts, have terrible pay and virtually no job security - mostly because mediocre tenured profs were too militant with their negotiations and were nowhere near what they're being paid. The younger and starting ones pay the price.  

Edited by Moonbox

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Man...it would be so HARD to have to work for 6.5 hours a day for 9 months a year, never having to worry about job security.  Those brave heroes.  

To be fair having to teach classrooms remotely online is horrible and every teacher I know is miserable doing it.  That's a fair point.  

Add planning and marking.  It’s not easy.  

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

They shouldn't be masked. That's the dying remnants of the brigades. For the life of me, I could only find teachers grossly derelict in their duties with this masking and remote BS. Its as if they haven't got any reading capabilities. The "science" has spoken...over and over...that any person under the age of 18 is incredibly unlikely to die from The Rona. Its like...statistical zero. And that's part of the reason the reporting numbers were so badly fudged. Its hard to impose your will on people, when they are told the truth. Now, as the exercise has done its job, they begin relaxing things and say...'We grant you life, liberty and happiness again. Yes we made mistakes maybe but...it was a pandemic.'

An f'ing line of pure bull-offings if I ever heard one.

The fact is...the teachers acted in THEIR self-interests and not the kids. And they did it CONTRARY to the holy science. Hell they're still doing it!

Its gross.

I know a lot about what people have faced in education.  Suffice it to say that some may have mailed it in, but it would be pretty hard to do.  There’s no hiding in a cubicle.  Most educators worked in the edge of burnout, and there were suicides.  Just staffing schools was a real challenge.