How is $2.10/ liter of gasoline going to affect you, if at all?

36 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

They can also make considerably more money at work if they own it. 

How so?  You mean their employer will pay them more because they have a personal pickup truck?

If they own a business that requires a pickup, that's fine, the business pays for their pickup and they have even cut their personal costs.

1 hour ago, cougar said:

How so?  You mean their employer will pay them more because they have a personal pickup truck?

If they own a business that requires a pickup, that's fine, the business pays for their pickup and they have even cut their personal costs.

No. If you get hired by a contractor you're more valuable to them if you have a truck. You can pick stuff up on the way to work, you can get paid to haul away debris, etc, it adds up. 

Go look on Craigslist right now and see how much it will cost you to get someone to come and haul away some garbage. 

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

No. If you get hired by a contractor you're more valuable to them if you have a truck. You can pick stuff up on the way to work, you can get paid to haul away debris, etc, it adds up.

Now we are getting into possibilities and hypotheticals.   If the company wants to pay you more than the price of the pickup over the first 5 years, it can make sense for you to buy one.  But why would they do that, when they can buy the pickup themselves and just ask you to operate it?

14 hours ago, cougar said:

Now we are getting into possibilities and hypotheticals.   If the company wants to pay you more than the price of the pickup over the first 5 years, it can make sense for you to buy one.  But why would they do that, when they can buy the pickup themselves and just ask you to operate it?

It's not hypothetical at all. Like I said, see how much it costs you to get 1 truckload of stuff hauled away from your yard. It's over $200. 

Guys get paid more money right from day 1 if they have a truck. 

Even if you have a small yard to have to pay for a truck when you but a fridge or a stove or a mattress, etc.

Owning truck is definitely a good financial move for a young guy in construction. If it wasn't, most of them would keep $15K in their pocket and buy musclecars or save for a home.

6 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

It's not hypothetical at all. Like I said, see how much it costs you to get 1 truckload of stuff hauled away from your yard. It's over $200. 

Guys get paid more money right from day 1 if they have a truck. 

Somehow your rationale is not very clear to me - on one hand you are talking about a guy hauling his yard waste and bringing in and out appliances with his pickup truck, on the other, the guy making more money on the job from day one, by having a truck.   Well my employer will not pay me for moving my yard waste or bringing my appliances into my house, which happens once every 5 or 10 years (the appliances, and zero times for anything else).

As I said, if your employer wants to pay you for using your truck for work, it is because they see an advantage for them, not for you!

2 hours ago, cougar said:

Somehow your rationale is not very clear to me - on one hand you are talking about a guy hauling his yard waste and bringing in and out appliances with his pickup truck, on the other, the guy making more money on the job from day one, by having a truck.   Well my employer will not pay me for moving my yard waste or bringing my appliances into my house, which happens once every 5 or 10 years (the appliances, and zero times for anything else).

As I said, if your employer wants to pay you for using your truck for work, it is because they see an advantage for them, not for you!

On job sites, sometimes there are things that need to be done that require a truck.

41 minutes ago, Faramir said:

OK, so as predicted, oil prices are falling heavily now.  Likely on the news that Zelensky is saying that NATO is out.  Stalled talks or this war getting bogged down for the long term of course will shoot oil up again.

Oil prices are dropping back down because the market, without fail, overreacts to the news (whether good or bad).  The skyrocketing oil prices were an overreaction and based on worst-case scenarios and there being no way to find relief.  

25 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Oil prices are dropping back down because the market, without fail, overreacts to the news (whether good or bad).  The skyrocketing oil prices were an overreaction and based on worst-case scenarios and there being no way to find relief.  

Right meaning the whole theory pimped by Wall Street hacks that the stock markets are efficient is a load of bunk.   I agree the market is over reacting, just like it over reacts and gives Netflix a PE ration of 200.

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2022 at 10:10 AM, Boges said:

I got an EV. Best decision I've ever made. I still have an ICE Hybrid, but only fill that up once every month or so. 

I can't imagine the stress someone who has to commute more than 50 kms each day must be going through. 

But honestly, if you didn't see huge price increases coming, you weren't paying attention. I remember preparing myself for $1.50/litre gas price is 2011.  

People do not remember their history. When houses were being built to be heated by Electricity. Then the Government came along and upped the price so much that it was costing everyone $500/month for heat. it will happen again. At least you can buy a new car. Try selling your house when it was heated by electricity during those times. No thank you. I prefer the devil I know compared to the one I do not.

54 minutes ago, Faramir said:

My car repairs and gas fund is now ALL for gas.  No money left over to actually maintain our 2 vehicles.  

I was looking at getting a new Ford Fusion Energi but when I found out that they were completely discontinuing them I balked.

Instead I got a 2012 VW Passat TDI (diesel) and I get 800-860km on about 62 litres of fuel, and that's almost entirely city driving. I drive from Langley to Surrey a couple of times a week, that's about it for the hwy. I haven't gone further than Chilli with it yet, but theoretically it will get 1,000km to a tank on the hwy.

It's in mint cond, it was only $11K, and had 83,000 km on it. Power moonroof, leather, cruise, heated seats, Fender audio, etc, pretty much everything but a heated steering wheel. 

Theoretically I should be able to get 300,000 km on it easily, because it's a diesel, and it's a decent-looking car imo. 

If you wanna go higher end the A6 TDI has a 3 litre diesel, it's the same one that the Touareg used. They're about $25-35K but they don't get the fuel economy of the 2L obviously. 

Love this car:

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 4.31.07 PM.png

4 hours ago, Faramir said:

My car repairs and gas fund is now ALL for gas.  No money left over to actually maintain our 2 vehicles.  

Hope your vehicles are fairly new, so you do not need costly repairs.

I got myself a 2022 Subaru Outback, because the engine of my 2000 Saturn Station wagon started making weir rattling noise last fall.  I had driven this car for 20 years from Ontario to the Yukon and back, so it probably had well over 400K kilometers on it, but the odometer died at 136K 15 years ago.

On the Subaru I like the stereo, the nice drive and the light purring noise from the engine when accelerating.  But I hate the auto stop/start feature - it works when it decides to work, usually when I do not want it to work.  Also I do not like the constant "lane departure" alerts when I am crossing the center line or getting close to the right lane border.  Total nonsense!  Shutting off the engine while I am parking the car, just to restart it , when I switch into park takes the top prize of all royal fuck ups though, for now.

But I bought a newer engine for the Saturn and installed it.  With all additional small repairs that were needed it cost me $3K - probably over the price of a better car I could have just bought. And I still want to get a new set of winter tires for this car, so I can do my winter fishing. It is the car for me and my dog, where I do not worry about the auto stop and lane departure BS.  Plus I do not care for all new technology and touch screens - screw that!

I think I actually saved gas money in the first 3 months of the year by simply not driving as much plus the Subaru appears to give me a better mileage in town - a big surprise.  I know the Saturn is at 7 liters /100km on long drives.

I have a transit pass and a Vespa scooter. Fuel there isn’t killing me. What’s hitting me hard on a fixed income is groceries. Everything we consume comes by truck, rail and possibly ship. POTawa and TrootOWE can lie all they want about inflation but my groceries are up 35-40% in a single year.

I can’t afford fresh meat and produce is killing me. Taxes on fuel IMO sees people not eating healthy when a processed frozen microwave meal of mystery ingredients can cost less than a single large red onion or a handful of asparagus, never mind a head of lettuce. I was craving Waldorf salad and the required ingredients cost me $14.

I fear I can’t afford the taxes in CanaDUH much longer.

Edited by RedDog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RedDog said:

I have a transit pass and a Vespa scooter. Fuel there isn’t killing me. What’s hitting me hard on a fixed income is groceries. Everything we consume comes by truck, rail and possibly ship. POTawa and TrootOWE can lie all they want about inflation but my groceries are up 35-40% in a single year.

I can’t afford fresh meat and produce is killing me. Taxes on fuel IMO sees people not eating healthy when a processed frozen microwave meal of mystery ingredients can cost less than a single large red onion or a handful of asparagus, never mind a head of lettuce. I was craving Waldorf salad and the required ingredients cost me $14.

I fear I can’t afford the taxes in CanaDUH much longer.

Yep, I too notice the same thing - groceries up by 40% and sometimes more.  Then the overpriced vegetables are of questionable quality, most coming from hothouses and most non-organic.

I think some taxes must be dropped and the non-taxable personal income amounts, both federal and provincial should be raised by 50%.

If I had a garden I could have grown some vegetables in the summer, but I have little room - just a couple of trees and roses.  I planted two cherry trees on my neighbors property so hopefully I will be allowed picking some once they grow up.

• Like 1