How is $2.10/ liter of gasoline going to affect you, if at all?

Like Dr Peterson says, the wealthier you are the less it matters.

People who were just barely able to afford an old beater to begin with are definitely back to riding the bus, which makes it harder/less safe for them to have certain jobs, and the people like Prince William, who pontificate to us about our carbon footprints, will still be able to afford to fly their private jets across country to attend polo matches even if the price of gas quadruples. I heard that their horses don't fart though, so his trips aren't a total carbon footprint nightmare.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I know a lot about what people have faced in education.  Suffice it to say that some may have mailed it in, but it would be pretty hard to do.  There’s no hiding in a cubicle.

No, but there's showing videos when you don't feel like teaching anything, downloading all your lesson plans from the web, doing the bare minimum and never having to worry about losing your job...

37 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Most educators worked in the edge of burnout, and there were suicides.  Just staffing schools was a real challenge. 

There's suicides in every profession and every profession has stress.  The difference is teachers only work 9 months a year, and even then aren't doing full work days.  The "planning time" that most of them profess to is grossly exaggerated, though there are exceptions.  

Edited by Moonbox

5 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I understand that nurses are being held to part-time employment and have to work multiple shifts at different locations to get full-time pay...without employer benefits.

As for teachers...a classic tale of a Union gone mad.

I don't feel sorry for the nurses.

When I was a young man there were volunteers in every hospital in Canada and it was the nurses' union that said "Those jobs need to be done by union people". As a result young people don't get the same chance to volunteer/learn on the job and taxpayers are shelling out lots of dollars for a lot of very simple jobs.

I had a roommate who waitressed in the evenings that started working as a janitor in the hospital during the days, she always knew that she was getting called in every second Friday because the woman who had the full-time gig got two paid sick days a month and she called in on those Fridays like clockwork. 

Basically two people were getting paid to do that work on Friday for a job that could have mostly been done by vols, and one of them had full benefits. It's way too much. 

Then at negotiating time the nurses compare themselves to Drs. Oh please: nurses, teachers and bouncers don't really compare to Drs. 

11 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I used to watch Stephen Colbert.  I can’t anymore.  He has said some absolutely ridiculous things about being willing to pay $15 a gallon to have a clear conscience though he drives a Tesla.  Just another out of touch rich brat, but he’s “green” so give him sainthood.  

It was definitely a "let them eat cake" moment. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

No, but there's showing videos when you don't feel like teaching anything, downloading all your lesson plans from the web, doing the bare minimum and never having to worry about losing your job...

There's suicides in every profession and every profession has stress.  The difference with teachers only work 9 months a year, and even then aren't doing full work days.  The "planning time" that most of them profess to is grossly exaggerated, though there are exceptions.  

No it’s a lot harder than you know.  

4 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

When I was a young man there were volunteers in every hospital in Canada and it was the nurses' union that said "Those jobs need to be done by union people". As a result young people don't get the same chance to volunteer/learn on the job and taxpayers are shelling out lots of dollars for a lot of very simple jobs.

I had a roommate who waitressed in the evenings that started working as a janitor in the hospital during the days, she always knew that she was getting called in every second Friday because the woman who had the full-time gig got two paid sick days a month and she called in on those Fridays like clockwork. 

Basically two people were getting paid to do that work on Friday for a job that could have mostly been done by vols, and one of them had full benefits. It's way too much. 

Then at negotiating time the nurses compare themselves to Drs. Oh please: nurses, teachers and bouncers don't really compare to Drs. 

Doctors get to work from home often too or be on call and only come in when necessary, which is sometimes after the dinner party or a good night’s sleep.  The patients are fine to wait.  

Just now, Zeitgeist said:

Doctors get to work from home often too or be on call and only come in when necessary, which is sometimes after the dinner party or a good night’s sleep.  The patients are fine to wait.  

The world changed so much in the last two years. 

If some dude was in a coma for two years and just woke up today he'd feel like Encino Man. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

No it’s a lot harder than you know.  

No, it's really not, and I know enough teachers and golf enough with them in the summer to know how "hard" they're working during their "summer planning time".  

Like every job, they have to deal with bullshit like snowflake parents crying about their kids learning about evolution, or especially online learning through COVID, but they're so overpaid to begin with and work so fewer hours than the everyone else that it's impossible to feel sorry for them.  

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

No, it's really not, and I know enough teachers and golf enough with them in the summer to know how "hard" they're working during their "summer planning time".  

Like every job, they have to deal with bullshit like snowflake parents crying about their kids learning about evolution, or especially online learning through COVID, but they're so overpaid to begin with and work so fewer hours than the everyone else that it's impossible to feel sorry for them.  

I already know the kind of teacher you’d be.  You couldn’t handle it.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Everybody else's job is easy lol.

I coached my son's baseball team for a few years and that's just 12 kids doing something that they like for 90 minutes. Still, it's not easy. It can wear you down quite a bit. 

I don't really envy people who teach kids things that they don't necessarily like for 6.5 hrs, starting on a Monday morning. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, cougar said:

Is this going to change your lifestyle this summer?    Do you see any other prices going up as a result of the gas price increase?

I may have to switch to cheaper products for my industrial applications. Some of those are made with inferior materials and more toxic chemicals than CSA/ NRC/ FDA approved commodities.

In other words, bigger market for Chinesium. But hey. What's a little more lead, cadmium, or mercury in the water table. Sure we're lining Chinese pockets but at least it's not making carbon dioxide.

23 hours ago, cougar said:

Can your income handle it?

We save a few bucks by doing a lot of shopping at Giant Tiger. They have their own brand, Giant Value.
Once in a while they got them little muffins. Their good but really tiny. Other stuff looks small, too.

I don't know why they call it Giant...

9 hours ago, Boges said:

Our current situation is 100% a result of the conflict in Ukraine. And profit taking from private companies. 

I am thinking , if we extract oil and had the facilities to refine it , the gas price could be whatever we want it to be, just based on production costs and not international supply/demand BS.  Of course this would work with Canadian oil companies producing Canadian product for Canadians on Canadian land.

If gas prices remain that high, I do not see this being sustainable for 70-90% of the population, once all other prices affected by the high price of fuel go up  - the price of every product will now go up, which will be another increase on top of the already huge Covid driven increases.

I had to buy a new vehicle in January and since then have been filling up 60 liters of gas every 3 weeks.  With my old car, I burned 40 liters every week - town driving only.

I don't need to drive too far to be in the wilderness which is the important destination for me.  Once there, I do not need gas.  In fact there is a trail starting in my backyard, so the past few weekends I spent hiking about 10-15km/day, without moving my car a single inch.

57 minutes ago, cougar said:

I am thinking , if we extract oil and had the facilities to refine it , the gas price could be whatever we want it to be, just based on production costs and not international supply/demand BS.  Of course this would work with Canadian oil companies producing Canadian product for Canadians on Canadian land.

If gas prices remain that high, I do not see this being sustainable for 70-90% of the population, once all other prices affected by the high price of fuel go up  - the price of every product will now go up, which will be another increase on top of the already huge Covid driven increases.

I had to buy a new vehicle in January and since then have been filling up 60 liters of gas every 3 weeks.  With my old car, I burned 40 liters every week - town driving only.

I don't need to drive too far to be in the wilderness which is the important destination for me.  Once there, I do not need gas.  In fact there is a trail starting in my backyard, so the past few weekends I spent hiking about 10-15km/day, without moving my car a single inch.

I find it a little ironic that in BC , they regularly protest  pipelines and oil and gas, almost every natural resource sector going... But when things get tough now they are complaining about high fossil fuel costs....And i get it not everyone in BC supports the green or NDP wackos... which include their premier, it is almost worth paying extremely high prices to see them get a glimpse of what they are pushing for....and i really hope what's her face the ex green leader miss May, and the rest of her racist party  is paying attention.... 

Edited by Army Guy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

...And i get it no everyone in BC supports the wackos...

Oh, I am definitely one of the wackos by your standards.

I just thought one of the average middle class Canadians with a job in a resource industry , who is driving a Ford F150, Chevy  - whatever, GMC - whatever is going to start shedding tears about his monthly lease payments , interest, and now the $2.10/ liter of gas for driving his butt to work in a vehicle he did not need with a fuel consumption he did not care about until now.  It was about keeping appearances and mingling with the crowd.

Edited by cougar

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yeah I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I worked 6-7 hours a day for 9 months a year.  Would have been a waste of all my schooling too.  

But hey, I could have at least coasted for 30 years and coached intramurals occasionally to change things up and never have to worry about a pay cheque one day in my life.  

36 minutes ago, cougar said:

Oh, I am definitely one of the wackos by your standards.

I just thought one of the average middle class Canadians with a job in a resource industry , who is driving a Ford F150, Chevy  - whatever, GMC - whatever is going to start shedding tears about his monthly lease payments , interest, and now the $2.10/ liter of gas for driving his butt to work in a vehicle he did not need with a fuel consumption he did not care about until now.  It was about keeping appearances and mingling with the crowd.

1) Schadenfreude - not a good look.

2) I don't think you understand how many people work in the construction trades in BC, and how hard it is to carry building supplies in a Tesla.

3) If you own a car and you end up renting a truck twice a month you don't save money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Yeah I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I worked 6-7 hours a day for 9 months a year.  Would have been a waste of all my schooling too.  

But hey, I could have at least coasted for 30 years and coached intramurals occasionally to change things up and never have to worry about a pay cheque one day in my life.  

Yeah don’t grace the kids with your presence.  

12 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I know a lot about what people have faced in education.  Suffice it to say that some may have mailed it in, but it would be pretty hard to do.  There’s no hiding in a cubicle.  Most educators worked in the edge of burnout, and there were suicides.  Just staffing schools was a real challenge. 

Sorry...I cant feel an ounce of sympathy for teachers. Here in Ontario on March 21, mask mandates end. But the teachers are now trying to extend that a month for kids in school.

11 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

No they don't. But nurses do deserve full time jobs.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Sorry...I cant feel an ounce of sympathy for teachers. Here in Ontario on March 21, mask mandates end. But the teachers are now trying to extend that a month for kids in school.

But the unions have been crap throughout the pandemic, supporting all sorts of nonsense.