Trump vs. Obama for U.S. Mid-term Elections

At long last, the U.S. federal mid-term election is upon us in the United States, but as usual, keen interest also exists "north of the border".

Will President Trump / Republicans fare better or worse than President Obama / Democrats did in the 2010 election ?

The Democrats lost an astounding 63 House seats and 6 Senate seats once all the dust settled...the worse beat down in 70 years.

Worse still, it began the complete collapse of Democrat political power at the federal and state levels.

article-1326243-0BE8055B000005DC-473_306

Make your predictions here....and remember to count all the votes !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

At long last, the U.S. federal mid-term election is upon us in the United States, but as usual, keen interest also exists "north of the border".

Will President Trump / Republicans fare better or worse than President Obama / Democrats did in the 2010 election ?

The Democrats lost an astounding 63 House seats and 6 Senate seats once all the dust settled...the worse beat down in 70 years.

Worse still, it began the complete collapse of Democrat political power at the federal and state levels.

Dems have to work really hard to overcome jerrymandering and to get voters out to the polls in the inner city.  Nothing is in the bag.  It will be close.  Now that the Supreme Court has gone conservative, losing the House and Senate would empower Trump like never before. 

13 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Are kidding? Even people on Pluto will be tuning in to this freak show.

Yeah, like that'll matter.  I suspect anything less than a red tsunami will trigger a civil meltdown that makes the left-wing derangement syndrome currently on display look like a mild irritation.

Edited by eyeball

Just now, eyeball said:

Are kidding? Even people on Pluto will be tuning in to this freak show.

Yeah, like that'll matter.  I suspect anything less than a red tsunami will trigger a civil meltdown that makes the left-wing derangement syndrome currently on display look like a mild irritant.

Can't wait for all the CBC LIVE ! news coverage of a foreign election.  

I wonder why American networks do not cover Canadian federal elections with equal vigour ?

On 10/27/2018 at 1:31 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Wanted to post it myself. Just another example of how the Lefties dominate the news. That was the nexus of America saying they were fed up. Fast forward and you get crooked Hillary sandbagging Bernie Sanders. Hillary was in fact  the illegitimate nominee for the Democrats - and ironically, Sanders would probably have beaten Trump. Because of the outrageous magnitude of this downplayed corruption - the Clinton legacy of sexual depravity and corruption should be forever soiled - yet the both of them are on "speaking tours" talking about the Trump "threat to democracy". And here we are - angry, frustrated Democrats, wallowing in the ashes of what the Clintons have left behind - leaderless, rudderless - with only their Liberal media friends holding it together. Oh yes - CNN really does suck!

In spite of the almost historical certainty that the Republicans will lose the house, you can expect to hear CNN bleat on about how Americans have opted for a return to democracy - and a thorough trouncing of Trump's "vile Presidency". It'll be interesting if they make it close.

The party of the incumbent president tends to lose ground during midterm elections: over the past 21 midterm elections, the President's party has lost an average 30 seats in the House, and an average 4 seats in the Senate; moreover, in only two of those has the President's party gained seats in both houses.

It seems the GOP have conceded the House. Trump is only campaigning in areas where there's a hotly contested Senate and Governor's races. 

It would take an immense blue wave for the Democrats to take back the Senate. They have numerous Red State Democrats defending their seats while only 2 or 3 potential flips that are available for the Democrats. 

Really it's only the House they need. It's not like the Democrats are going to be driving any agenda in the next few years. But now they have a check on Trump's craziness. 

On 10/27/2018 at 3:27 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Can't wait for all the CBC LIVE ! news coverage of a foreign election.  

I wonder why American networks do not cover Canadian federal elections with equal vigour ?

The leader of the free world being a White Nationalist makes for immensely entertaining TV. 

On 11/1/2018 at 9:32 AM, Boges said:

The leader of the free world being a White Nationalist makes for immensely entertaining TV. 

The "leader of the free world" ?    Seriously ?

America provides entertaining TV to Canada regardless of politics...just check the Numeris ratings.

For this topic, I don't think Trump will lose as many seats as Obama did in 2010.

Canada's state owned broadcaster and other news media are gearing up for the mid-term elections...in a foreign country. 

Here is the CBC's game program....peanuts and popcorn are extra.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/midterm-elections-us-how-they-work-why-important-whats-at-stake-1.4755823

On 11/2/2018 at 6:42 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

For this topic, I don't think Trump will lose as many seats as Obama did in 2010.

Thanks to Gerrymandering. Hopefully many Governor races go to Democrats so that trend can change. 

Letting the political parties choose the boundaries in districts is an stupid policy. And it undermines democracy. 

Edited by Boges

9 hours ago, Boges said:

Thanks to Gerrymandering. Hopefully many Governor races go to Democrats so that trend can change. 

Letting the political parties choose the boundaries in districts is an stupid policy. And it undermines democracy. 

The political parties don't actually choose it, it's the state legislatures, in most states. But not in all. And there are plenty of states like mine: blue states that are very gerrymandered to favor the democrats. Although strangely, our governor (a republican) is likely to be re-elected.

You are, however correct that it undermines democracy.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

2 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

The political parties don't actually choose it, it's the state legislatures, in most states. But not in all. And there are plenty of states like mine: blue states that are very gerrymandered to favor the democrats. Although strangely, our governor (a republican) is likely to be re-elected.

Good point....the criticism of gerrymandering is equally slobbered with partisan opinions, even from those in Canada who will grab for anything that will stop Trump or the "alt-right".

I would venture a guess that most Americans don't know or care how electoral districts ("ridings") are drawn up in Canada, including cases of gerrymandering.

Midterms?

Federal Senate: I reckon that the Republicans will keep their majority.

Federal House: I would reckon that the Democrats will gain a majority - surely they'll win 24 seats or so.

=====

If I'm correct, what next - in federal affairs? Huh?

Far more important, what happens in the individual States of America.

===

Donald Trump won because of the Electoral College. Quel pays!

Edited by August1991

On 10/27/2018 at 1:31 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

From what the pundits are saying, seems like it'll be a nail-biter.  All the polls I see on the news says Democrats has the edge to win.   Meh.....polls aren't that reliable anymore.   But I can't help being somewhat  worried......

A president who loses control of congress In mid-terms has increased chances of getting re-elected two years later. Namely he can say for the next two years how he would do this or that but Congress does not let him do it. 

Edited by -TSS-
  • Like 1