Trump vs. Obama for U.S. Mid-term Elections

10 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

If the Republicans win the House there will be claims that Putin has hacked the elections. 

Most certainly.

The Democrats are VERY nervous, to boot. Hauling out Obama only showed that the poor fellow isn't quite the same anymore...and can't draw a crowd. 

Hillary...well she's been put in a cave somewhere.

Nancy? Get real.

Maxine? Hah!

We'll see, I suppose...tonight.

On 11/3/2018 at 2:15 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada's state owned broadcaster and other news media are gearing up for the mid-term elections...in a foreign country. 

Here is the CBC's game program....peanuts and popcorn are extra.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/midterm-elections-us-how-they-work-why-important-whats-at-stake-1.4755823

This is about the USA, not Canada.

I think the Democrats will win the House but not with a "blue wave".The mainstream media will play it up as a huge nationwide rebuke to Donald Trump. Back in 2010,I'm sure they downplayed the results when Obama and the Democrats lost the House.

If the Dems do indeed win,it won't be good for the US,more obstruction and gridlock.

Someone mentioned earlier that Bernie Sanders would have beaten Trump,what a truly terrifying thing that would have been.

I think the Republicans hold the Senate. I can't forget 2016,when just about every poll indicated an easy victory for Clinton.....

History clearly says they are SUPPOSED to lose the house. Over the past 21 mid-term elections, the President's party has lost an average of 30 seats. Obama set the record - losing 63 seats and his majority. Tuesday is certainly not a referendum on Trump - it's more a referendum on the Democrats. If they cannot take the house by a significant margin - and the Republicans make gains in the Senate - it will serve to validate Trump and conversely, validate the continued evidence that Democrats still don't get it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamesHackerMP said:

exit polls and partial results are showing some important losses for the GOP. But it seems the blue wave won't be as big as advertised. They'll likely take the House but not the Senate.

True dat...the GOP has actually picked up another Senate seat (Indiana) .

Tonight will be a huge failure for the Democrats if they don't take the House.

On 11/2/2018 at 6:37 PM, eyeball said:

The midterm elections just became a launching pad for Oprah Winfrey's run for the White House.

I don't know about that.  Winfrey and Obama both campaigned for Abrams in Georgia.....but by the looks of it, she'd still lost to Kemp.  Winfrey even went as far as knocking door-to-door with Abrams.

If Winfrey failed to launch Abrams (even with the help of Obama)......what does that say?  :shrug:

Her star power doesn't seem to matter anymore.  I don't think she'll run for president.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, betsy said:

I don't know about that.  Winfrey and Obama both campaigned for Abrams in Georgia.....but by the looks of it, she'd still lost to Kemp.  Winfrey even went as far as knocking door-to-door with Abrams.

If Winfrey failed to launch Abrams (even with the help of Obama)......what does that say?  :shrug:

Her star power doesn't seem to matter anymore.  I don't think she'll run for president.

And one can say that we've had enough of celebrities in the White House (cough). We don't need another celebrity with no political experience to be President. Enough celebrities meddling in politics, tyvm!

2 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

And one can say that we've had enough of celebrities in the White House (cough). We don't need another celebrity with no political experience to be President. Enough celebrities meddling in politics, tyvm!

What's all that coughing, James?   I'm not talking about what you need, or don't need! :rolleyes:  Need or not, the star power of Winfrey (along with Obama to boot), didn't matter!

Btw, Democrat strategist to Hillary Clinton said on CBC last night that by the looks of it, Trump's politics is still popular!  So, there!

Ron DeSantis Won Florida Governor's Race by Tying Himself to Trump

http://time.com/5445200/ron-desantis-florida-governors-election-results/

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

Well,  if you use this as an assessment of Trump you have to compare it to how previous presidents fared in mid-terms, e.g. Obama, for example did much worse so in that context, Trump's split of losing the House but winning the Senate is not a repudiation of his presidency by voters.      Let the games begin !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scribblet said:

Well,  if you use this as an assessment of Trump you have to compare it to how previous presidents fared in mid-terms, e.g. Obama, for example did much worse so in that context, Trump's split of losing the House but winning the Senate is not a repudiation of his presidency by voters.      Let the games begin !

Lol.  He gained -  added to the  majority in the Senate!!

Edited by betsy

While in my own personal world, I would like to have seen the Democrats completely wiped out, reality is as has been mentioned in this thread that they are merely following pattern and gaining in the House.  In reality, this is politics as the framers of the  Constitution intended - there is some balance.  Sadly, the massive shift to partisanship on both sides of the Uniparty means more likely deadlock than compromise.

We just have to wait and see.

• Like 2

A few rabid anti-Israel/Jewish types elected to Congress, as well. Apparently shoe-ins from the start of the campaign. 

One wants to use the Camp David Accords as leverage against Israel to accept forming a single Muslim majority state with their sworn enemies...for example.

“One state. It has to be one state. Separate but equal does not work. I’m only 42 years old but my teachers were of that generation that marched with Martin Luther King. This whole idea of a two-state solution, it doesn’t work.”

---Rashida Tlaib

The other simply hates Jews...but you just know...she loves Jews...as long as they're Dhimmi.

“Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel."

“Drawing attention to the apartheid Israeli regime is far from hating Jews. You are a hateful sad man, I pray to Allah you get the help you need and find happiness.” (when questioned about first comment)

---Ilhan Omar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scribblet said:

I think the outcome amounts to a split decision. Certainly, where the House is concerned and where every American had a chance to vote, there was a desire to check Trump's power. Yet, Trumpism survives intact as most of the races into which he injected himself were won by the GOP candidates he promoted. His influence likely generated the strong GOP majority in the Senate, in particular. I believe that while many Americans are concerned about Trump's personality, style and autocratic tendencies a huge swath of voters remains convinced that his brand of populist economic nationalism and anti-globalism is legitimate. Last night's midterm results suggest that in 2020 Trump will remain a potent force unless the Dems can come up with a coherent policy strategy to challenge him - and I'm not sure they can.

Edited by turningrite

The big question is: What's the plan, Democrats?

Is the next two years going to be about investigations and "revenge" as per Maxine Waters? Or is it going to be about keeping a roaring economy going strong(er)??

Think carefully about the response...

28 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

The big question is: What's the plan, Democrats?

Is the next two years going to be about investigations and "revenge" as per Maxine Waters? Or is it going to be about keeping a roaring economy going strong(er)??

Think carefully about the response...

Impeachment?  Didn't one of them ran on that promise?   :D

Just now, betsy said:

So, that got nixed right off the bud.

The Democrats were pretty sure they'd get the Senate, as well, with talk like that.

And Maxine refuses to stop saying "IMPEACH 45!!!" at the top of her lungs every chance she gets. Simply refuses. Nancy likely to become head of the house...and that's going to piss-off  the Democratic base which is much farther left than she'll EVER be.

• Like 1