Trump vs. Obama for U.S. Mid-term Elections

6 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Whoa...   doubt it, she's a real pit bull,  but IMO it will have to be a woman.    I can imagine the reaction if he did nominate Pirro   LOL

Well she bloody entertaining...which means she should stay on Fox. But she and Trump are friends beyond politics, apparently.

Edited by DogOnPorch

18 hours ago, Centerpiece said:

All that said, the right path for America is always compassionate Conservatism - something Republicans must aspire to.

Is compassionate conservatism even possible in a political system that's so beholden to special (i.e. moneyed) interests?  For instance, I certainly don't believe the government monopoly health care model, as we have in Canada, is a good alternative, but the current U.S. model clearly doesn't work well for a large and vulnerable segment of the population. Obama's original reform proposal, which included a "public option" insurance alternative, would have served that segment much better than does the private insurance model. But it was blocked by the GOP and if the current iteration of the party has its way it will never see the light of day. Why? Because powerful economic interests in the U.S. will ensure that it doesn't. Does anybody realistically believe this will change?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scribblet said:

This could be a positive opportunity for the U.S.  I watched Trump’s media conference today but despite an embarrassingly hostile media, I thought that the President extended olive branches at every opportunity.  Nancy Pelosi also expressed a desire to work across Party lines promising to to encourage her members in the House to do the same.  Maybe, there can finally be some progress in a number of important areas.   

With the caveat that they don't investigate his potentially criminal behaviour. 

There is a common analysis that demographics will favour the Democrats and that is partially true. However, to claim that after a while the Democrats will be in power permanently and the Republicans never as old white men will have died underestimates the factor that people tend to get bored and dissatisfied with one bunch being in power forever and there will always be a natural yearning for a change.

6 hours ago, turningrite said:

Is compassionate conservatism even possible in a political system that's so beholden to special (i.e. moneyed) interests?  For instance, I certainly don't believe the government monopoly health care model, as we have in Canada, is a good alternative, but the current U.S. model clearly doesn't work well for a large and vulnerable segment of the population. Obama's original reform proposal, which included a "public option" insurance alternative, would have served that segment much better than does the private insurance model. But it was blocked by the GOP and if the current iteration of the party has its way it will never see the light of day. Why? Because powerful economic interests in the U.S. will ensure that it doesn't. Does anybody realistically believe this will change?

It better. That's why a guy like Trump resonated with so many people. They were tired of not being listened to.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, DogOnPorch said:

I didn't say it was Hitler. The Palestinian Cause was started by Haj Amin al-Husseini...aka The Grand Mufti...aka Head of Hitler's Middle East Bureau...The Scourge of Yugoslavia & Hungary...The Devil of Jasenovac...etc. Gassed a load of Jews himself at Birkenau just to see how it was done.

Yes. Concede.  Sorry I misunderstood these words: "...was the creation of one of Hitler's Nazi goons. " Stand corrected. I misread it to mean Hitler. I give you a shaddup in my face. Taken.

Yes now back to Trump. Not sure why anyone would support him you included whether they are left, right, Jew, gentile, woman, man, gay straight, fat, skinny, short, tall. Is he more of an ally to Israel than Obama, of course, anyone would be. Nicki Haley was great in the UN but he fired her.

He fired his most credible foreign policy advisor when he got rid of her. I also think his firing of Jeff Sessions just continues his narcissistic childish displays...that and that idiot tantrum with the CNN reported Acosta. Each day he lowers the POTUS to a toilet.

6 hours ago, turningrite said:

Why just compassionate conservatism? I think the same thing can be said for liberals, who are in my view equally beholden to special money interests. 

Also the concept of "compassionate" needs to be picked apart. There's compassionate liberal soft-love, one that gives immediate comfort but could do so at the expense of long term improvement. In that regard there is compassionate conservative tough-love too. On one hand you have a reactionary impulse, the other has a longer field of view. So which one is "right"? Probably a carefully applied combination of the two. And indeed, that's what democracy is all about.

As to the question about health care, I don't follow all the minutia of US politics down to that level but it's clear to me that they write these bills and try to put lots of other non-related stuff in it, making the bill in its entirety unpalatable. Even if the bill has good ideas, it doesn't pass. Having said that, if you compare Canadian and US health care it's difficult to say clearly which one is best. I've been to hospitals a lot lately unfortunately, with a sick family member and what I see going on is nothing less than shameful. Even upsetting, or worthy of anger when you consider the appalling waste of money that is the bureaucracy. Probably I hear code white on the intercom every night.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turningrite said:

Is compassionate conservatism even possible in a political system that's so beholden to special (i.e. moneyed) interests? 

Great question. I like to call myself extreme moderate and a blue liberal red tory smack in the middle classic Edmund Burke conservative which I believe allows for compassion for the poor in its system. So you ask a rhetorical question I think all moderate conservatives wrestle with yes. However that same question applies to liberals/leftists. They are equally as beholden to special moneyed interests.  Who in politics is not? I mean whether you call yourself Democrat or Republican, Liberal or Conservatative, even NDP how are you not beholden. The NDP's beholden moneyed interest that controls them are unions. The Liberals have a long list of parasites I mean moneyed interests starting with well where to you want to start, Bombardier? Morneau-Sheppell?

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Why just compassionate conservatism? I think the same thing can be said for liberals, who are in my view equally beholden to special money interests. 

Also the concept of "compassionate" needs to be picked apart. There's compassionate liberal soft-love, one that gives immediate comfort but could do so at the expense of long term improvement. In that regard there is compassionate conservative tough-love too. On one hand you have a reactionary impulse, the other has a longer field of view. So which one is "right"? Probably a carefully applied combination of the two. And indeed, that's what democracy is all about.

As to the question about health care, I don't follow all the minutia of US politics down to that level but it's clear to me that they write these bills and try to put lots of other non-related stuff in it, making the bill in its entirety unpalatable. Even if the bill has good ideas, it doesn't pass. Having said that, if you compare Canadian and US health care it's difficult to say clearly which one is best. I've been to hospitals a lot lately unfortunately, with a sick family member and what I see going on is nothing less than shameful. Even upsetting, or worthy of anger when you consider the appalling waste of money that is the bureaucracy. Probably I hear code white on the intercom every night.

As you wrote yours I was writing the same thing. I of course agree with your comments.

• Thanks 1

How on earth does this happen. ..

Rubio Sounds the Alarm: Broward County Election Officials Trying to Steal Election - Produce Thousands of Ballots 43 Hrs AFTER Polls Closed; Gang Of Democrat Lawyers Descend On Florida.   

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ne-marco-rubio-brenda-snipes-20181108-story.html

Check this out. Caught On Video: Concerned citizen sees ballots being transported in private vehicles & transferred to rented truck on Election night. This violates all chain of custody requirements for paper ballots. Were the ballots destroyed & replaced by set of fake ballots? Investigate now! https://t.co/GUPZnz7Gny

Florida law requires counties report early voting and  vote-by-mail within 30 minutes after polls close. 43 hours after polls closed 2 Democrat strongholds Broward County & Palm Beach County are still counting and  refusing to disclose how many ballots they have left to count.

The same Broward county elections supervisor who illegally destroyed ballots in the  Wasserman Schultz race Brenda Snipes is overseeing the extremely consequential recount in Broward County.   

Edited by scribblet
  • Like 1

They certainly do,  Election fraud is real!   

Right now the Dems are hastily doing everything they can to win back races they lost in Arizona, Georgia, and Florida.  Brenda Snipes in Florida has been in trouble before over fraudulent activities so there's a history of wrongdoing there;  I have to wonder why they keep her in the job.   The AG needs to open a criminal investigation into the recounts, ballots being illegally transported at night, and fnding new ballots in closets 

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2018/08/13/judge-sides-with-florida-gop-in-absentee-ballot-dispute-with-broward-county-555553

and  https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2018/05/14/florida-to-monitor-broward-election-chief-after-judge-finds-unlawful-ballot-destruction-in-wasserman-schultz-race-415832  

Edited by scribblet
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Election fraud is real!   

From what I've heard voter suppression and electoral manipulation are the bigger problems south of the border. For instance, it's simply bizarre that the GOP's candidate for Georgia's governorship, who held the AG post, was in charge of managing midterm elections in that state and didn't have to recuse himself, although he has now reportedly resigned his AG post in view of the disputed gubernatorial result. Reports emerged of polling stations in which there was no power and of lineups that forced people to wait for hours to vote. I suspect many would give up under the circumstances. And then there's the broader problem of gerrymandering, which has become so widespread that observers noted it would take an almost double-digit lead in the popular vote to ensure a Democrat majority in the House. As each state sets its own rules, local grandees can ensure advantage to their own party where they hold legislative and/or gubernatorial power. 

Edited by turningrite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilber said:

The great republic down south looks like a banana republic when it comes to screwing up how people vote and preventing people from voting. When you throw in gerrymandering it’s debatable that they are even that good,

Gerrymandering happens in the north as well.  Besides, the phrase "vote early vote often" came out of the democrat stronghold of Chicago back in the late 1960s.  Nobody's prevented from voting.  You just need to follow the rules, ie a piece of ID  The horror!  Apparently IDs fine for getting a hotel room, boarding a plane, etc, etc.  But voting it's "unnecessary"  Roll eyes.

• Like 3

The Senate race in Texas was fascinating, a Kennedy-Nixon contest where the JFK reincarnation was frighteningly fit. It's hard to believe that Cruz and O'Rourke are almost the same age. While Beto ran an extraordinary campaign, his opponent is widely respected as one of the outstanding legal minds of his generation and the closeness of the election may say more about the changing demography of Texas than the undoubted charisma of the challenger. Anyway, enough of the nonsense, here is Triumph the insult comic dog interviewing the candidates:

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

1 hour ago, Truth Detector said:

Gerrymandering happens in the north as well.  Besides, the phrase "vote early vote often" came out of the democrat stronghold of Chicago back in the late 1960s.  Nobody's prevented from voting.  You just need to follow the rules, ie a piece of ID  The horror!  Apparently IDs fine for getting a hotel room, boarding a plane, etc, etc.  But voting it's "unnecessary"  Roll eyes.

No it doesn't, boundaries are set by Elections Canada which is non partisan and reports to Parliament, not the government. Same goes for Elections BC in my province.

27 minutes ago, Wilber said:

No it doesn't, boundaries are set by Elections Canada which is non partisan and reports to Parliament, not the government. Same goes for Elections BC in my province.

Yes, I noticed all of the non-partisan government employees posing for selfies with Justin Trudeau after the election.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Truth Detector said:

Yes, I noticed all of the non-partisan government employees posing for selfies with Justin Trudeau after the election.  

What does that have to do with how electoral boundaries are set in Canada?

You really know nothing about Elections Canada, do you.

Canadian electors are on a national register that is not subject to provincial or regional interference.

Edited by Wilber