This week in Islam

kimmy

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

Again...I don't need to to "get Islam".

yer quick on the replies tonight. Seems you 'get' Islam more than the rest of us. This is why I rely on you to continue to tell us the truth . oh wait there is another reply from you .. See, told you you were quick!

Just now, GostHacked said:

yer quick on the replies tonight. Seems you 'get' Islam more than the rest of us. This is why I rely on you to continue to tell us the truth . oh wait there is another reply from you .. See, told you you were quick!

You're free to side with Islam. I don't care.

7 hours ago, jacee said:

Religion itself is disgusting, imo.

Catholic, United and Anglican 'church people', raping, torturing and killing Indigenous kids, killing the babies born of rape, burning their remains in school furnaces or cementing them into foundations, or selling them alive into sexual slavery. 

And that's just Canada. 

Religion is the true evil in the world. 

Yeah, you can't even trust Buddhists these days. 

Just now, Marocc said:

It's not a religion.

If it's you or Wiki I'll go with Wiki"

Buddhism is the world's fourth-largest religion with over 520 million followers...

But then, I'm okay with Wicca and Pastafarianism too. 

2 minutes ago, Marocc said:

I'm afraid that's why you're here. When the buddhists say it isn't a religion I believe they mean it. You believe Wikipedia.... Selectively, when it suits you.

What can I say?  I don't want that $20 I give them every year to go to waste.

That doesn't mean I can't disagree with them when I know they are wrong.  (Just pre-empting the gotcha!)

Edited by bcsapper
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction - Blaise Pascal

12 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

What can I say?  I don't want that $20 I give them every year to go to waste.

That doesn't mean I can't disagree with them when I know they are wrong.  (Just pre-empting the gotcha!)

Conversely, Islam is not a religion...it's a political system that stole the divine bits from other cultures...then eliminated them.

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

That's just a cop out to avoid the truth.  You both probably think the death penalty for blasphemy (among other things) is just as inhuman as I do, but for some reason it should not be pointed out. 

Of course it's a horrible philosophy and worthy of criticism.  But there's a fine line between criticism and scapegoating.  And this thread wanders over it easily.

37 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Of course it's a horrible philosophy and worthy of criticism.  But there's a fine line between criticism and scapegoating.  And this thread wanders over it easily.

It's a horrible philosophy that provides the basis of government for entire countries.  It's worthy of its own thread. 

If we didn't argue about it what would be the point?  That's why we're all here, after all.

30 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Funny thing is that Islam doesn't even prescribe death for apostasy (cite, cite, cite).  So in this instance, criticizing countries who have those laws would seem more appropriate. But only if one is interested in criticizing instead of demonizing and scapegoating, I suppose. 

6 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Funny thing is that Islam doesn't even prescribe death for apostasy (cite, cite, cite).  So in this instance, criticizing countries who have those laws would seem more appropriate. But only if one is interested in criticizing instead of demonizing and scapegoating, I suppose. 

What about blasphemy?  Did those people at Charlie Hebdo die for nothing?

Ah, the scapegoating...

26 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Funny thing is that Islam doesn't even prescribe death for apostasy (cite, cite, cite).  

From the Quran...which I did not write.

They wish you would disbelieve as they disbelieved so you would be alike. So do not take from among them allies until they emigrate for the cause of Allah . But if they turn away, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them and take not from among them any ally or helper.

https://quran.com/4/89

----------

From the Bukhari...

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 260:

Narrated Ikrima:

Ali burnt some people and this news reached Ibn 'Abbas, who said, "Had I been in his place I would not have burnt them, as the Prophet said, 'Don't punish (anybody) with Allah's Punishment.' No doubt, I would have killed them, for the Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.'

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/quran/bukhari/052-sbt.htm#004.052.260

---------

...so much for your cites.

[Edit]

Got to luv it...Ali just happened to be burning some folks...alive...heh. But...you know...ol' ISIS is a perversion of Islam.

For those who go...huh? Ali? The boxer??

No...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali

Edited by DogOnPorch

39 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

What about blasphemy?  Did those people at Charlie Hebdo die for nothing?

Ah, the scapegoating...

If Islam does not teach death to blasphemers, and Muslims kill people who they think insulted their prophet, and then you say "Islam teaches Muslims to kill blasphemers", what would you call that?

Oh, scapegoating.  

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

If Islam does not teach death to blasphemers, and Muslims kill people who they think insulted their prophet, and then you say "Islam teaches Muslims to kill blasphemers", what would you call that?

Oh, scapegoating.  

If Muslims kill blasphemers, why do they do it?  Pique? 

As for those who do, they would be the arseholes I don't like.  The Muslims who don't kill blasphemers are the ones I couldn't care less about.  (as long as they don't kill anyone else for anything else.)

So where's the scapegoating?

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

From the Quran...which I did not write.

They wish you would disbelieve as they disbelieved so you would be alike. So do not take from among them allies until they emigrate for the cause of Allah . But if they turn away, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them and take not from among them any ally or helper.

https://quran.com/4/89

Let's take a look at the next two verses for some context, shall we.

4.90 Except for those who take refuge with a people between yourselves and whom is a treaty or those who come to you, their hearts strained at [the prospect of] fighting you or fighting their own people. And if Allah had willed, He could have given them power over you, and they would have fought you. So if they remove themselves from you and do not fight you and offer you peace, then Allah has not made for you a cause [for fighting] against them

4.91 You will find others who wish to obtain security from you and [to] obtain security from their people. Every time they are returned to [the influence of] disbelief, they fall back into it. So if they do not withdraw from you or offer you peace or restrain their hands, then seize them and kill them wherever you overtake them. And those - We have made for you against them a clear authorization."

Clearly, the verses describe a particular situation and the manner of dealing with that situation. It appears to be much more nuanced than "Here are some unbelievers!  Seize them and kill them!" 

So much for your "expertise" on Islam.  

15 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Let's take a look at the next two verses for some context, shall we.

4.90 Except for those who take refuge with a people between yourselves and whom is a treaty or those who come to you, their hearts strained at [the prospect of] fighting you or fighting their own people. And if Allah had willed, He could have given them power over you, and they would have fought you. So if they remove themselves from you and do not fight you and offer you peace, then Allah has not made for you a cause [for fighting] against them

4.91 You will find others who wish to obtain security from you and [to] obtain security from their people. Every time they are returned to [the influence of] disbelief, they fall back into it. So if they do not withdraw from you or offer you peace or restrain their hands, then seize them and kill them wherever you overtake them. And those - We have made for you against them a clear authorization."

Clearly, the verses describe a particular situation and the manner of dealing with that situation. It appears to be much more nuanced than "Here are some unbelievers!  Seize them and kill them!" 

So much for your "expertise" on Islam.  

I'm betting you don't even know what that says.

Did you ever imagine yourself defending the murder of Apostate Unbelievers? No matter, that answer...

If there's a treaty with the people to whom the apostate has fled...no kill. If he/she returns to you without returning to Islam...kill.

The end result is still seize them and kill them. When the treaty ends in the first case. Unless you rejoin the death cult...that is.

Next up: defending the Holocaust....and go.