CSIS: Liberal MP is alleged Chinese agent, Trudeau ignored warnings

7 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

The Chinese see them as easier targets, so they target them.  This is why CSIS says the CCP supported the Liberals to win over the CCP the last 2 elections.

It is also possible I suppose that, per above, they share some sympathies with their regime in certain ways.  I think its maybe more about the left having a more globalist/open-to- foreigners worldview.

I find left politicians often paralyzed by their own rhetoric.  They're too politically correct and tolerant to take certain necessary actions that politically correct types might see as intolerant.

There is definitely something to be said about that last part.  I don't like Bill Maher in general, but I remember him chatting with Seinfeld and saying something along the lines of "The politically correct are so excessively tolerant that they tolerate intolerance".  

• Like 2

2 headlines this morning that show the vast gulf between how Canada reacts to Chinese election interference and how the US reacts to it

One article: "House's new US-China committee holds first hearing focusing on communist threat" 

and

"Trudeau warns journalists that questions about China's election interference are racist and should stop."

Sorry I can't post links right now but you can Google the articles and I'm sure you get the idea.

Canada is not taking this seriously. Trudeau benefits from it so he doesn't care and wants it buried. Liberal MPs refusing to cooperate.

This is hurting our US relations politically.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Contrarian said:

• It seems, there are some CSIS members which had enough on the lack of action amongst the politicians, and that working with The Globe and Mail, was found to be the better option. ?
  • Clearly, is working, as the pressure is intensifying daily, with more and more former advisers stepping up and saying they want a public inquiry now. 

With democracies, decisions should be made by elected officials. But then again, sometimes they need a bit of a shove.  ?

20 hours ago, Moonbox said:

I think it is.  I’d like to know more about this.  Trudeau just trying to sweep it under the rug and hope it goes away makes me suspicious.  Either he assumes Canadians are all too ignorant or distracted to care, or he’s worried there’s actually something to it.  

I think he KNOWS there's more to it. Dong is the only Liberal MP identified but we know 9 were backed by China. Does anyone really think he was the only one to get elected? There could be half a dozen MPs in Trudeau's caucus whose loyalty is to China.

1 minute ago, I am Groot said:

I think he KNOWS there's more to it. Dong is the only Liberal MP identified but we know 9 were backed by China. Does anyone really think he was the only one to get elected? There could be half a dozen MPs in Trudeau's caucus whose loyalty is to China.

It's a possibility, I guess, but I think it's a stretch to believe that far without knowing anything more.  Regardless, a refusal to do any sort of investigation/inquiry only lends credence to this.  I don't think this one is going away, but we'll see.  

As long as the Chinese government is helping him win elections, why would Trudeau care?

He can shoot down suspected spy balloons and ban tiktok because that doesn't hurt his interests very much, in fact it gets him support at home for appearing "tough on China".  All he cares about is winning and his own power.

2 hours ago, suds said:

With democracies, decisions should be made by elected officials. But then again, sometimes they need a bit of a shove.  ?

When has this government cared about ethics?  The elected officials aren't doing their jobs, following their oaths or the law.  So yeah they need others to keep them in check.

CSIS comes to the government with warnings that an MP candidate is in bed with China and they don't care.  The Liberals don't care about our democracy, they just want to increase their power.

The ethics commissioner just came out and said there's been so many ethics violations with members of this government that he recommends all senior Liberals take mandatory ethics training.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/federal-ethics-commissioner-finds-another-liberal-broke-ethics-laws-calls-for-mandatory-training-for-all-mps

The Trudeau government is the leftwing version of the Trump admin:  Run by narcissistic leaders, totally unethical, don't care about democracy, in bed with foreign enemy regimes who help them try to win elections and don't give a crap about election interference if it helps their own interests.

1 minute ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

This is serious and it isn’t going away. Concern about it is not confined to Conservatives. 

I would hope so, but they don't seem to be very vocal here... lets wait and see on the next poll. 

19 hours ago, West said:

Eric Swallwell in the US gets caught porking Chinese spy Fang Fang

Trudeaus Liberals allow China to buy their elections. 

What is it with leftist parties and the Chinese?

The PRC is looking for vulnerabilities in every country in the world and their search won’t be confined to ethnic Chinese either. Obviously, the Liberals have serious issues already but no party should consider itself immune. Any politician with a financial or personal problem is a potential target. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

People of Chinese ethnicity need to be prominent among the spokespeople on this scandal. It is in no way an anti-Chinese effort by the deep state. The PRC probably hates nobody more than Michael Chong in Canada and he is widely respected across parties as a distinguished parliamentarian. I’d like to see him addressing this matter more often. He’s not the sort of guy anybody can easily dismiss, even the PM. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

21 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

This is serious and it isn’t going away. Concern about it is not confined to Conservatives. 

You wouldn't know it from listening to the usual suspects.

19 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I would hope so, but they don't seem to be very vocal here... lets wait and see on the next poll. 

Why can't stories as like this lead to louder calls for more and more penetrating transparency into our governance from ordinary people?  It's because the parties and politicians we should be expecting the calls from the loudest would have to submit to the same measures. I doubt there's a government or politician on the planet that isn't in agreement that there's probably already way too much transparency hindering and hampering them.

AFAIC ordinary citizens have no business whatsoever supporting or slagging one another ideologically until they're all willing to put the interests of the governed first.

17 hours ago, eyeball said:

Why can't stories as like this lead to louder calls for more and more penetrating transparency into our governance from ordinary people?

Because democracy is no Santa Claus? Because they have to care? Because they have ot bother to think, build, make and remake their governments working for the citizens, not for themselves? ens not for itself? Because democracy isn't a cake that is given from the grace, but a result proportional to intelligent effort? Just because.

19 hours ago, blackbird said:

One news article says this issue could be the one thing that causes the collapse of Trudeau and the Liberals.  We will see.

The collapse of trudeau - the stories suggest that the liberals will only collapse if they keep trudeau, otherwise they'll be fine.

The left is pushing at him to step down 'for the sake of the party'. They want him to reenact his father's famous 'walk in the snow'.

18 hours ago, eyeball said:

Why can't stories as like this lead to louder calls for more and more penetrating transparency into our governance from ordinary people?  It's because the parties and politicians we should be expecting the calls from the loudest would have to submit to the same measures. 

No,  Its because the media doesn't report it in a way that gets people too worked up.  The politiicans can say what they like but what the people hear is filtered by the media.

For example, the people in toronto - traditional liberal supporters - listen to cbc and toronto star and similar media.  Those will print fewer stories about this, only focus on it for a very short time, downplay it with the language they choose, and then print something else that is attention grabbing to distract. It's what they do, They will print next to no replies from the opposition - one or two but very brief and that's it .

So nobody thinks it's that big  a deal.

A conservative member having a chance meeting with some disreputable germans got MORE space and MORE urgency in those papers than this did.

The media is an incredibly powerful tool.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

No,  Its because the media doesn't report it in a way that gets people too worked up.  The politiicans can say what they like but what the people hear is filtered by the media.

Nonsense. What the people hear at worst is something made up or embellished by a reporter or pundit in the absence of something an evasive politician mouthed.  Getting your news from the media is like owing a hot tub you need to observe some simple rules around Its use and maintain things; rinse the filters regularly, stay on top of the quality of your water and change it on occasion. It's not that hard.  

The media is an incredibly powerful tool.

Is that why it's referred to as the lame stream media?

You see the same phenomenon with Trudeau, depending on the whine list on tap that day, he's either this all powerful dictator on par with Stalin or Hitler or he's the ineffectual Mr Socks.  As far as I'm concerned he's little more than a silly dilettante more concerned with appearing to be doing the appropriate thing when he's called to do something.

In the meantime, regular posters know what I'm talking about when I mention more penetrating oversight.  You'd be surprised how many people don't want the Telescreens aimed the other way.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Nonsense. What the people hear at worst is something made up or embellished by a reporter or pundit in the absence of something an evasive politician mouthed.  Getting your news from the media is like owing a hot tub you need to observe some simple rules around Its use and maintain things; rinse the filters regularly, stay on top of the quality of your water and change it on occasion. It's not that hard.  

But most don't. Which is why it's not nonsense at all.

Is that why it's referred to as the lame stream media?

No. It's called that because it misuses the power.

You see the same phenomenon with Trudeau, depending on the whine list on tap that day, he's either this all powerful dictator on par with Stalin or Hitler or he's the ineffectual Mr Socks. 

The two are not mutually exclusive. He's very powerful, AND he's very incompetent. Which is a dangerous combo

As far as I'm concerned he's little more than a silly dilettante more concerned with appearing to be doing the appropriate thing when he's called to do something.

Well that's what makes him  incompetent :)  You're right of course, which is why it usually takes him an abnormally long time to respond to any kind of crisis or sudden issue.

In the meantime, regular posters know what I'm talking about when I mention more penetrating oversight.  You'd be surprised how many people don't want the Telescreens aimed the other way.

Er...ok

5 hours ago, CdnFox said:

But most don't. Which is why it's not nonsense at all.

Oh boy not another one.

Who exactly is doing this filtering of newsworthy events you're taking about? Clearly you've bought into the same MSM conspiracy hooey a pile of posters around here subscribe to - you're in good company if you believe brainwashing is a real thing.

Do you have any email lists, meeting notes, directives to and from the PMO and editorial rooms... got any whistleblowers maybe?  No one else does either but the utter lack of any evidence of what you're talking about doesn't faze them a bit either

How many people do you think it takes to plan, coordinate, execute not to mention monitor the effectiveness of their filtering and report this back to the PMO or whoever...WEF maybe...or Soros...aliens from space?

Edited by eyeball