Is Trudeau the most unCanadian Prime Minister ever?

West

9 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Oh gosh no. Great Britain was not so much pro-slavery...they weren't. But they were very much pro-cotton with which their base economy ran on (along with wool). That's why Lincoln was brilliant by switching the casa belli to slavery rather than states rights or King Cotton. It forced Britain to back right off with the multitude of blockade runners that kept the South armed and prolonged the war greatly.

the war was to preserve the Union

freeing the slaves was simply expedient to win the war

the war was never about slavery

the Union wanted reunification

the Confederacy wanted to maintain autonomy from the Union

Edited by Yzermandius19

33 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

the war was to preserve the Union

freeing the slaves was simply expedient to win the war

the war was never about slavery

The end most certainly was as the Union needed all those extra 'colored' troops that it could get to mount its increasingly large and ambitious campaigns in the South. Those Rebs refused to go down.

As for the Natives...they chose the wrong side...the Confederacy. Stand Watie was the last Rebel general to surrender. The South promised to preserve tribal law which included more often than not, legal slavery. So they joined early...stayed late.

Edited by DogOnPorch

5 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

The end most certainly was as the Union needed all those extra 'colored' troops that it could get to mount its increasingly larger and ambitious campaigns in the South. Those Rebs refused to go down.

the Emancipation Proclamation freeing the slaves

was just a good tactic to win the war

it was never the main goal

even at the end

it was certainly a good PR move too

which is why so many have the wrong impression today

that the American Civil War was about slavery

Edited by Yzermandius19

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

freeing the slaves

was just a good tactic to win the war

it was never the main goal

even at the end

No...Lincoln and others were abolitionists of various degrees from before the war. Though it was a very complex thing in 1850s America. States had way more local control than any Federal power. Try n' control them. So the 1860 election was all about so-called border states keeping or ditching slavery. Kentucky, West Virginia etc. War resulted...frankly.

57 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I love Canada strong and free.  If we’re going to remain under totalitarian controls like vaccine passports and state-influenced media, then I’d rather see Confederation unravel.  

We won't. The totalitarian caste is unravelling before us now.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

No...Lincoln and others were abolitionists of various degrees from before the war. Though it was a very complex thing in 1850s America. States had way more local control than any Federal power. Try n' control them. So the 1860 election was all about so-called border states keeping or ditching slavery. Kentucky, West Virginia etc. War resulted...frankly.

slavery was a major reason for secession

slavery was not the cause of the war though

an important distinction

claiming the war was about slavery is a vast revisionist oversimplification

to make the Union look more justified in it's actions

and isn't accurate

the Union's cause was nowhere near as noble

as viewing the war through that filter makes it seem

Edited by Yzermandius19

48 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

slavery was a major reason for secession

slavery was not the cause of the war though

Yes it was as well as King Cotton and other things. But as mentioned, the 1860 elections were about the status of slavery in border states. Not cotton output. Lincoln being elected resulted in the Secession as the South could see what was coming next.

The irony of the slave issue was that industrialization was quickly making slavery extinct as a basis of one's economy...as it was in the South. Mechanical cotton pickers were already making waves.

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

Yes it was as well as King Cotton and other things. But as mentioned, the 1860 elections were about the status of slavery in border states. Not cotton output. Lincoln being elected resulted in the Secession as the South could see what was coming next.

The irony of the slave issue was that industrialization was quickly making slavery extinct as a basis of one's economy...as it was in the South. Mechanical cotton pickers were already making waves.

the war was about restoring the union or remaining separate from it

everything else is a side issue that played into the main disagreement

the causes of secession and the war are intertwined but not the same

14 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

the people I'm talking about are the conspiracy theorists

QAnon has nothing on BlueAnon

and Alex Jones is vastly less crazy than either, even at his craziest

That's strawman.  I'm not sure how BlueAnon entered the conversation, other than as a distraction.  The existence of dumb left-wing conspiracy theories does not make QAnon any less moronic, nor does QAnon stupidity make Alex Jones any less moronic.  

Once you've proven yourself to be absurdly stupid and a shameless and dangerous liar, your credibility goes down to zero.  Zero is as low as credibility goes, so the fact that there are people out there even "crazier" than him isn't relevant.  The guy is just telling angry white people what they want to hear and peddling his comically dumb products to them at jacked up prices.  He couldn't be more of a joke if he tried.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Army Guy said:

We covered all this while Omar Khadr was facing charges in the US. And if anyone fit the treason definition it was him, however many lawyers said our treason laws are to vague and would be easily struck down in court... and no the liberals have not changed them... Justin may be a liberal wingnut, but charging him with treason come on...

You should have tried when he had a beard.  Facial hair almost clinched it in Omar's  case.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Nationalist said:

There are 2 types of Libbies...IMO. 

Type 1 knows what I'm saying right now to be true. They'll likely attack this post. These people know what they're doing, how to do it and why. These people want to tear society asunder and "re-make" it. They are truly dangerous because they are on a mission and have just enough intelligence to influence Type 2.

You may not have noticed but there does appear to be a small and growing number of conservatives willing to wrap their heads around my idea of abolishing in-camera lobbying. I'd go as far to say type 2 libbies are actually more likely to regard it as a dangerous idea than anyone.

Whatever the type of conservative we're talking about however, the fact the idea came from a lefty appears to be their biggest hurdle to overcome.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Army Guy said:

We covered all this while Omar Khadr was facing charges in the US. And if anyone fit the treason definition it was him, however many lawyers said our treason laws are to vague and would be easily struck down in court... and no the liberals have not changed them... Justin may be a liberal wingnut, but charging him with treason come on...

Do you think people with those kinds of views on this forum are honest and reasonable interlocutors?  

Could the mind of someone be changed with reasonable arguments when they think Trudeau should be tried for treason, or publicly executed? 

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

That's strawman.  I'm not sure how BlueAnon entered the conversation, other than as a distraction.  The existence of dumb left-wing conspiracy theories does not make QAnon any less moronic, nor does QAnon stupidity make Alex Jones any less moronic.  

Once you've proven yourself to be absurdly stupid and a shameless and dangerous liar, your credibility goes down to zero.  Zero is as low as credibility goes, so the fact that there are people out there even "crazier" than him isn't relevant.  The guy is just telling angry white people what they want to hear and peddling his comically dumb products to them at jacked up prices.  He couldn't be more of a joke if he tried.   

you're just a hater

Alex Jones is cool

especially when he's drunk

he was unfairly cancelled

if you don't like him

I don't care

your opinion is trash anyway

Edited by Yzermandius19

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You may not have noticed but there does appear to be a small and growing number of conservatives willing to wrap their heads around my idea of abolishing in-camera lobbying. I'd go as far to say type 2 libbies are actually more likely to regard it as a dangerous idea than anyone.

Whatever the type of conservative we're talking about however, the fact the idea came from a lefty appears to be their biggest hurdle to overcome.

Liberal politics have a place. But when it gets slippin' to the left too far, we get this sort of nonsense. The Conservatives have their crosses to bear as well.

Traditionally...and I should add 'wisely enough'...we ignored the extremes on either side and didn't give them any oxygen. Today the 'Libbies' are taking up all the oxygen. They yell and scream and carry on like...well...they did once congregate and howl at the moon, so... They're absolutely cultish, the way they conduct themselves. The anger is staggering.

And THAT...makes them dangerous and to be marginalized ASAP.

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Canadians hate free speech

just like you

so perhaps you will get your way

see how it improves absolutely nothing

and then see how dumb of an idea it really is

27 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Could the mind of someone be changed with reasonable arguments when they think Trudeau should be tried for treason, or publicly executed? 

Oh you see they care about the 'children' though.. and especially the 1,000,000 Karens who can't go to the mall... but I am in favour of peaceful protests.

The clock is ticking on this one... Trudeau will show how Canadian he is by declaring martial law just like his dad... $10M won't be enough to pay the legal bills for 1,000 people who want to get their trucks back....

30 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

you're just a hater

Alex Jones is cool

If you find listening to absolute morons ranting angrily to be compelling, there are some pretty simple words to describe you as well.  

30 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

especially when he's drunk

he was unfairly cancelled

Yeah I mean telling everyone that the Sandy Hook massacre was a hoax and then getting ridiculed for it is soooo unfair.  Poor poor Alex Jones.  It makes it so much harder for him and his pretend health expert to peddle their worthless merchandise to gullible fools.  

Edited by Moonbox
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

If you find listening to absolute morons ranting angrily to be compelling, there are some pretty simple words to describe you as well.  

Yeah I mean telling everyone that the Sandy Hook massacre was a hoax and then getting ridiculed for it is soooo unfair.  Poor poor Alex Jones.  It makes it so much harder for him and his pretend health expert to peddle their worthless merchandise to gullible fools.  

supports cancel culture if it's people he doesn't like getting cancelled

your opinion becomes less relevant with each post you make

37 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Canadians hate free speech

just like you

so perhaps you will get your way

see how it improves absolutely nothing

and then see how dumb of an idea it really is

So the only way a politician and a lobbyist can speak freely is when they're in their safe space behind a closed door.

Have you NEVER wished you could be the proverbial fly on the wall? Why does this oft-stated desire that finds expression across the political spectrum not to mention down thru the ages terrify you so much?

Just now, eyeball said:

So the only way a politician and a lobbyist can speak freely is when they're in their safe space behind a closed door.

Have you NEVER wished you could be the proverbial fly on the wall? Why does this oft-stated desire that finds expression across the political spectrum not to mention down thru the ages terrify you so much?

they should be allowed to speak in private and in public

neither needs to be banned

only a free speech hater would suggest otherwise

15 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

they should be allowed to speak in private and in public

neither needs to be banned

only a free speech hater would suggest otherwise

I agree %100 re speaking in public.

Why shouldn't you be allowed to listen when they discuss public business however? It is your business after all.  I'd say it's your responsibility.

Only someone with something to hide would suggest otherwise.

Edited by eyeball