Federal Conservative Leader

Who will be the leader?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

He’s quite good but still very unknown to most Canadians.  

Agree, but I think his ability to define the terms of a discussion/debate is needed from the conservatives, Scheer was abysmal at this, and his opponents were able to define him to the public. Pierre’s ability to make a liberals arguments look down right stupid, while enraging them in scrums is absolutely needed from a Conservative leader, and its hilarious!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, G-MAN said:

This tread went south fairly quick lol.

My pick for leader is Pierre Poilievre, mearly for his debate strength and performance in question period. He doesnt miss a beat and would likely embarrass JT in an election debate. Unfortunately him being from Alberta will probably be an attack angle for the cbc, when shilling and campaigning for their messiah.

His Alberta origins are offset by his Franco-Alberta background and that he's lived in and represented an Ottawa riding for the last 14 years. But yes, the media hate him. Then again, the media hated Scheer too and he was a smiley, agreeable milquetoast with no conservative policies. Poilievre is, however, like Scheer, an observant Catholic who is anti abortion.

Too bad the abortion issue keeps rearing it's ugly head, especially as no one is going to change legislation.    I would like to see Pierre P. run for leader although I'm not sure if his skills extend to the leadership.  IMO Rona Ambrose is a shoo in if she runs but she is just liberal lite so my real pick would be John Baird, but he's not running.    Maybe Jason Kenny next time around, not this time.  I know he's a social conservative but I think he is more readily able to stand up to the media and the Liberals.    Charest is just another liberal.

Whoever runs, they have to quickly get out there to define who they are and what they stand for before the Liberals and their media do it for them, negatively. 

Edited by scribblet

On 1/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, scribblet said:

Too bad the abortion issue keeps rearing it's ugly head, especially as no one is going to change legislation.    I would like to see Pierre P. run for leader although I'm not sure if his skills extend to the leadership.  IMO Rona Ambrose is a shoo in if she runs but she is just liberal lite so my real pick would be John Baird, but he's not running.    Maybe Jason Kenny next time around, not this time.  I know he's a social conservative but I think he is more readily able to stand up to the media and the Liberals.    Charest is just another liberal.

Whoever runs, they have to quickly get out there to define who they are and what they stand for before the Liberals and their media do it for them, negatively. 

Charet is no federal Liberal. Do not assume it is the same as Quebec Liberals. Not true. Chretiens is a Joe Clark Tory. The West like him. 

Edited by Rue

On 1/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, scribblet said:

Charest is just another liberal.

And in line with other Liberals like Jean Chretien and John Manley is a lobbyist and apologist for China. I don't see that going down very well with the membership.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-charest-advising-huawei-in-meng-wanzhou-case-and-on-5g-networks/

Edited by Argus

On 1/5/2020 at 9:37 PM, Rue said:

Charet is no federal Liberal. Do not assume it is the same as Quebec Liberals. Not true. Chretiens is a Joe Clark Tory. The West like him. 

Charet is in to total gun control. He is going nowhere.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:32 PM, Argus said:

Can you name me any female leader in this country who hasn't been a disaster?

As much as I hate to note this, Queen Elizabeth II is on our money, coins - since about 1953 or so.

The modern, post 2000 absurdity is that the Bank of Canada wants more women on our money!

4 hours ago, August1991 said:

As much as I hate to note this, Queen Elizabeth II is on our money, coins - since about 1953 or so.

The modern, post 2000 absurdity is that the Bank of Canada wants more women on our money!

This is one of those weird controversies that doesn't play across all demographics I think.

5 hours ago, August1991 said:

Problem solved . . . . .  Justin Trudeau's face on one side, and his other face on the other side. One face is white, the other face brown . . . . endless possibilities. Perhaps one side with his 'beard' and tears, the other side . . . . . . ?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 2:47 PM, Argus said:

And in line with other Liberals like Jean Chretien and John Manley is a lobbyist and apologist for China. I don't see that going down very well with the membership.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-charest-advising-huawei-in-meng-wanzhou-case-and-on-5g-networks/

Charest is a lawyer for Hua Wei in Canada. That should rule him out.

On 12/13/2019 at 4:32 PM, Argus said:

Can you name me any female leader in this country who hasn't been a disaster?

I am pretty sure that there has never been a male or female politician in Canadian politics that has not been a disaster for Canada. They all have pretty much wrecked and bankrupted this once great British/European nation with their leftist liberal multicultural and immigration programs and agendas that have done not a dam thing to help keep or make Canada great. Besides, who ever the conservatives put in as leader, they will continue on with the program and agenda of the destruction of Canada. Canada appears to be lost in the liberalism thick wilderness. Only a Trump or Bernier like conservative can now save Canada from it's impending demise. Another liberal conservative cannot and will not be able to do the job.

Just saying. ;)

On 1/1/2020 at 12:05 PM, Argus said:

His Alberta origins are offset by his Franco-Alberta background and that he's lived in and represented an Ottawa riding for the last 14 years. But yes, the media hate him. Then again, the media hated Scheer too and he was a smiley, agreeable milquetoast with no conservative policies. Poilievre is, however, like Scheer, an observant Catholic who is anti abortion.

Let's not forget he cheated on his election campaign  contributions:

On July 4, 2017, Poilievre entered into a Compliance Agreement with the Commissioner of Canada Elections, for failing to comply with the Canada Elections Act by "knowingly circumvent the prohibition on contributions to a registered party by ineligible contributors."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Poilievre

... Took a free holiday to Taiwan on their dime ... 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-mps-free-foreign-travel-620k-1.4595379

And then, with that shady finagling of finances ... he's appointed Finance critic. 

Wouldn't be my choice. Lol 

Edited by jacee

The sea change really goes back to the Canada Act 1982

Prior to Enshrining the American Style Charter, Canada was under the British style 'unwritten' constitution

Once you go to the American Style Charter, even visitors are granted Charter Rights, you can't treat a foreigner differently, the Charter Rights apply to all on Canadian Soil.

It's a bright man who holds the same opinion as me. Clearly Kenneth Whyte is a bright man. He says the Tories should concentrate on getting a good leader, not a bilingual leader. No more Joe Clarks or Andrew Scheers, but someone smart and capable and charismatic. Regardless of their language abilities.

The lesson taken by Progressive Conservatives from Mr. Stanfield’s three successive defeats at the hands of Mr. Trudeau was that bilingualism was a leadership imperative. Anglo Bob managed just nine Quebec seats in three elections. Each of his successors – whether leading the Progressive Conservatives, the Canadian Alliance, or the Conservative Party of Canada – has been functionally bilingual (Reform Party leader Preston Manning was not).

Yet with the exception of a Quebecker, Brian Mulroney, who won 58 and 63 Quebec seats in the 1984 and 1988 elections (more on him in a moment), none of Anglo Bob’s bilingual successors improved much on his record.

Election after election, Conservatives choose bilingual leaders with an eye to cracking the Quebec electorate. Election after election, they fail. In 15 attempts since the end of the Diefenbaker/Pearson era, bilingual non-Quebeckers leading the Conservative, Progressive Conservative, or the Canadian Alliance parties have won 66 seats in Quebec, an average 4.4 a party per outing.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-do-you-need-to-be-bilingual-to-be-pm-pas-du-tout/

On 1/13/2020 at 7:57 AM, Michael Hardner said:

This is one of those weird controversies that doesn't play across all demographics I think.

Many people believe that women are second-class and yet the image of a woman has been on all our money since 1950 or so.

Heck, Trudeau Snr replaced her image for a man or two. And Liberals are supposedly progressive.

Edited by August1991

7 hours ago, August1991 said:

Many people believe that women are second-class and yet the image of a woman has been on all our money since 1950 or so.

Heck, Trudeau Snr replaced her image for a man or two. And Liberals are supposedly progressive.

Again... This is the kind of issue that matters less than... the weather on election day.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:35 PM, Dougie93 said:

The sea change really goes back to the Canada Act 1982

Prior to Enshrining the American Style Charter, Canada was under the British style 'unwritten' constitution

Once you go to the American Style Charter, even visitors are granted Charter Rights, you can't treat a foreigner differently, the Charter Rights apply to all on Canadian Soil.

Other than assuming full responsibility for our own parliament, how does the 1982 constitution differ from the path set forward from the paris treaty through to the Quebec act? 

7 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

Other than assuming full responsibility for our own parliament, how does the 1982 constitution differ from the path set forward from the paris treaty through to the Quebec act? 

It puts the courts above parliament.