Federal Conservative Leader

Who will be the leader?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I met Andrew Scheer, in person, in Montreal, before his selection as Conservative leader. He sat at the bar and flipped through his phone and ignored me and the hundred or so other people in the room.

I figured that he was either very smart or not a people person.

During the election, in the French debate in particular, I understood that he was not very smart. He was clearly not a people person.  

Edited by August1991

Big Daddy Trump?

Base monthly Social Security in the US at age 62: US $2209 Link

Base monthly OAP + CPP + GAINS at age 65: Cdn $2000 

==

Despite popular opinion, the US offers generally better treatment of older people than Canada.

Why? The US is a richer country.

Edited by August1991

5 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

It is unlikely Kenney, Ambrose, Mulroney, Wall or Baird will run. I would have supportted Ms. Ambrose or Raitt if they ran but I fear MacKay will get it. Thats what happens when you have a candidate that stabbed his own party in the back. Benedidct Arnold had more honour.

I hear a lot of people in Alberta saying they think Kenney will run, but none of them are happy about it.  I'd love to see Rona Ambrose run.

2 hours ago, scribblet said:

Lisa Rait said yesterday she will not run,  no word from Ambrose yet but if she does run she's a shoe in  (I think).   

I'd consider voting for her, she seemed to have some common sense.  Would have to see what her actual platform would be first, of course. 

For me, it will likely come down to climate change policies followed by human rights and immigration policies; we need to develop policy to deal with climate refugees before they start arriving on our doorstep. 

For fiscal policy, cutbacks in corporate welfare policies and increased health and education support would be important to me, with some personal tax increase acceptable to support that. 

Transition to guaranteed basic income and elimination of several government agencies that currently deliver our social safety net would also be nice, but I doubt that would come from a Conservative government (or probably any gov for the foreseeable future).

Edited by dialamah

10 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I'd consider voting for her, she seemed to have some common sense.  Would have to see what her actual platform would be first, of course. 

For me, it will likely come down to climate change policies followed by human rights and immigration policies; we need to develop policy to deal with climate refugees before they start arriving on our doorstep. 

For fiscal policy, cutbacks in corporate welfare policies and increased health and education support would be important to me, with some personal tax increase acceptable to support that. 

Transition to guaranteed basic income and elimination of several government agencies that currently deliver our social safety net would also be nice, but I doubt that would come from a Conservative government (or probably any gov for the foreseeable future).

It’s a Conservative leader, not an NDP one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cannuck said:

Lisa missing from the list.  MacKay would be my first choice, so hope so for others.

An English version of Justin Trudeau. No thanks. I'd rather have Poilievre. Who's also missing from the list, or O'Toole, who's also missing from this list.

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Rona Ambrose is the best choice. She's actually sane.  They need a PC not another bible-thumping Alliance wacko.

Can you name me any female leader in this country who hasn't been a disaster?

10 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Rona Ambrose should be the 2nd elected PM to ever have a vagina.  The first being Justin Trudeau.

Women tend to support policies based more on emotion than cold, hard facts. We've had four federal leaders who were women and they were all idiots (not counting Trudeau, who's a moron). Every female premier I can think of was a freaking disaster. That being said, I would rather have her than some of the other names being mentioned, such as McKay.

Edited by Argus
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Rona Ambrose is the best choice. She's actually sane.  They need a PC not another bible-thumping Alliance wacko.

I don’t even know a Conservative leader that’s been a quote bible thumping alliance wacko.  Certainly Harper wasn’t.  Either was Scheer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shady said:

I don’t even know a Conservative leader that’s been a quote bible thumping alliance wacko.  Certainly Harper wasn’t.  Either was Scheer.

It seems in this country you can wear special religious gear like turbans and hijabs and pray multiple times a day and get nothing but respect. But if you say you're a a practicing Christian and believe in what your church says you're a religious fanatic.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Argus said:

Women tend to support policies based more on emotion than cold, hard facts. We've had four federal leaders who were women and they were all idiots (not counting Trudeau, who's a moron). Every female premier I can think of was a freaking disaster. That being said, I would rather have her than some of the other names being mentioned, such as McKay.

Premier's in general tend to be morons.  I don't think vaginas or penises make people good or bad leaders.  Evaluate people on their merits not their chromosomes and dangly bits.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Argus said:

It seems in this country you can wear special religious gear like turbans and hijabs and pray multiple times a day and get nothing but respect. But if you say you're a a practicing Christian and believe in what your church says you're a religious fanatic.

That’s definitely what it seems.  I can only imagine if somebody talked about Koran thumpers, or Torah thumpers.  Apparently just being a regular practicing catholic or Christian means you’re automatically some kind of wacko.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Argus said:

You guys don't have Christians with special religious gear in Ontario? I swear they make up more than 10% of the population here. Lots of women in long skirts and headscarves everywhere I go, but we've always had a strong Hutterian and Mennonite population. I think that's why our premier is so strongly against Quebec's Bill 22 and is even advertising in Quebec for persecuted religious groups to come to Manitoba.

Some have suggested he should make a run for the federal leadership, but I doubt he's interested.