The road to 2020

52 minutes ago, Rue said:

IF by this June, the Democratic Party does not have majority holding candidate, just months before election campaigns begin  a shock challenge and therefore surprise candidates could then offer to run.  This might be what is happening at the moment...certain individuals waiting to see if there will be a stalemate and see how popular Trump is  in June....so that conceivably means someone none of us are considering which caused one writer to speculate on Hilary Clinton again coming back: https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1223243/trump-news-hillary-clinton-tipped-for-surprise-second-election-run-in-2020-spt.

And so ladies and gentlemen I reveal to you the next President and first lady who will come to the rescue and defeat Donald Trump:

Image result for Kanye and KImPresident Kanye West and the first lady Mrs. Kim Kardashian West

Huh? The same polls that predicted Hillary's massive win also have Biden and everyone else in the Dem field beating Trump head-to-head. It's hard for the Dems to act like they need a new challenger. 

Buuuut.... if there's a surprise challenger to be feared it's actually Oprah imo. No joke. She would instantly have the black vote, the female vote, the snowflake vote, she has her own tv network (as if she needs one, CNN is already a full-time propaganda network) and she has the cash to wage a massive election battle.

She might even have un-released video from her interviews with Trump that might be unflattering. 

If Oprah announced her candidacy, I'd be concerned. Even if she throws her entire weight behind a candidate I'll be worried. I'm not worried at all about Hillary or any of the sad sack losers in the dem Primary battle right now. 

There isn't going to be white knight candidate to save the Democrats. It's fun to imagine such a scenario, but the likelihood of it happening is essentially non-existent. Don't get your hopes up, if that was going to happen, it would have happened already. Bloomberg already tried it, and all it's done is suppress Biden's competition.

Edited by Yzermandius19

4 hours ago, Rue said:

Yes unless you are in Russia. Then as Putin is now doing, you just re-write the constitution to suit you so that you can stay in power for life. China's President did that too. If Trump could he would amend the constitution to keep him in for life then have his daughter take over. King Donald, Queen Ivanka, of the house of Trump.

Fortunately the US constitution is strong enough so that no one man could amend it to suit his purposes. 

Clinton, Obama and Bush are forever disqualified running for President again. 

Carter is eligible to run as he has served only one term. He's only 95 or something. Wasn't there one senator who lived to 105 or thereabouts? 

• 2 weeks later...

The circular firing squad continues....as the Democratic National Committee (DNC) is changing the rules for debate qualification to favour Mike Bloomberg over other candidates that were barred from previous debates.   

“To now change the rules in the middle of the game to accommodate Mike Bloomberg, who is trying to buy his way into the Democratic nomination, is wrong,” Jeff Weaver, a senior adviser to Sanders, told the New York Times. “That’s the definition of a rigged system.”

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/1/21118038/2020-democratic-candidates-debate-rules-sanders-warren-biden-bloomberg

Why ?    Because the DNC is scared to death by Bernie and needs Bloomberg's money badly for any hope to defeat Donald Trump.   Very ironic that the Democrats need/want a billionaire to defeat a billionaire. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Why ?    Because the DNC is scared to death by Bernie and needs Bloomberg's money badly for any hope to defeat Donald Trump.   Very ironic that the Democrats need/want a billionaire to defeat a billionaire. 

Well I guess Soros would have been a little too gauche.

In Finland we have had a presidential-candidate who is openly gay and even though he is otherwise popular he is deemed by the electorate as too gay. He has lost two elections now.

I dare say Finland is far more progressive in this respect than the United States will ever be. If we turn down an openly gay candidate even though he would otherwise be electable I would not give such a candidate a lot of chances in the USA.

• Like 1

Michael Bloomberg is now trying to cut off big money donors to other Democratic candidates, starving them of campaign funding.   All while Bloomberg buys as much media ad time that he can with an unlimited, self financed  budget, further shutting out his competition.

Sanders is still playing small ball with lots of modest donations.....$25 million total in January alone.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, godzilla said:

another military leader refuses to Seig Heil to de Fuhrer!

U.S. military leaders serve at the pleasure of the President...

“Military officers are the leaders of the military, and instead of enlisting in the sense that enlisted military men and women do, they are commissioned officers who serve indefinitely at the pleasure of the President of the United States.”

Edited by bush_cheney2004

13 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Michael Bloomberg is now trying to cut off big money donors to other Democratic candidates, starving them of campaign funding.   All while Bloomberg buys as much media ad time that he can with an unlimited, self financed  budget, further shutting out his competition.

Sanders is still playing small ball with lots of modest donations.....$25 million total in January alone.

I have respect for Bloomberg. I don't think he even wants to be president. He just hates Trump and what Trump is doing. He sat back and watched and hoped and probably tried to influence the Democratic party into putting out candidates who could beat Trump. They didn't. So he's finally jumping in himself, much as he did when he became mayor of New York in order to save it from the incompetent and corrupt Democrats who had been running it into the ground up until then.

Sanders and Warren can't win against Trump in the battleground states. Their ridiculous promises, aimed at getting progressive votes, won't play well in Michigan and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.  The Republicans will have enormous ammunition to use to scare voters away from them, everything from slavery reparations to paying off college loans to nationalizing health care. In states like Wisconsin, Arizona, Pennsylvania and Michigan that will cost the Democrats big time.

As for Mayor Pete... too little experience, no great charisma and by the way, he's gay. I read with some hilarity how some of his supporters in Iowa were asked about him being gay and they didn't even know he was. That's probably because the media, ensconced in liberal urban centers, doesn't dare mention it. Their attitude is it doesn't matter in the slightest and if we mention it someone might call us homophobic. And in those urban centers, among liberals, it doesn't matter.

But the election isn't going to be won or lost in LA or New York. It's going to be won and lost in battleground states which Trump won by only a few thousand votes last time around. And him being gay is going to cost Mayor Pete more than a few thousand votes in those states. He's got 4% support among Blacks, for one thing. Black America is not very woke when it comes to homosexuality. A Democratic candidate with very little Black support is not going to win in Michigan or Pennsylvania. And the blue collar hard hat vote isn't all that keen on homosexuals either. The Democrats need to realize most of the country isn't as 'woke' as their progressive wing or Trump is going to squash them come November.

• Like 1

Trump will win but at the same time Congress will be Democrat--controlled leaving Trump in a weak position like Obama in his second term. 

In 2024 there will certainly be a Democrat elected President. However, none of the ones on offer this time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shady said:

Regardless, it’s true.  They’re appointed positions.

Seriously, yah I get that. Its the cornerstone of any democracy.

However now you should know why I like Mitt Romney. That is my idea of a Republican. Its too bad people write him off so quickly. He was that perfect blend of business sense but too cool to get caught up in rudeness or private lifestyle issues. He always kept his own strict religious beliefs out of  his public life. Too bad so  many people wrote him off for being a Mormon. I think he can serve as a valuable conscience for the Republicans, McConnell just is not a man offering Republicans a reason other than Trump to vote Republican. If the Dems were smart they would recruit Romney. If the Dems melt down I wish he'd run as a third party candidate and give both sides an option. Romney's expert as a Republican in Massachusetts as Democratic a state as it can get speaks loudly to his abilities to unify people. Then again I actually said the same thing about Arnold Schwraznegger as a Republican.

Maybe a bit too left for you not for me. I go for low deficits and small government but civil liberty on private issues. Truthfully economic issues are what bugs me about Trump. Its the other crap. I think his toughness with Iran was on the mark but I do not understand his softness on Putin and Jung. I also think he was and is planning a trade deal with China in spite of all his posing.

I noticed today that nutcase in the Philippines signaled he wants out of a military alliance with Trump. We shall see how that plays out.

Edited by Rue

9 hours ago, Argus said:

I have respect for Bloomberg. I don't think he even wants to be president.

...As for Mayor Pete... too little experience, no great charisma and by the way, he's gay.

...A Democratic candidate with very little Black support is not going to win in Michigan or Pennsylvania. And the blue collar hard hat vote isn't all that keen on homosexuals either. The Democrats need to realize most of the country isn't as 'woke' as their progressive wing or Trump is going to squash them come November.

OK, but Mayor Pete has not flaunted his sexuality to get the "gay" vote...last night he just hugged his husband on national television after the debate...no kiss.  Young poor smart guy & military veteran vs. old rich smart Wall Street guy.    Bloomberg says he tried to volunteer for Vietnam, but he got deferments same as Biden and Trump.

To the religious "Black support", being gay is a far lesser sin than Bloomberg's Stop and Frisk policies in NYC, which he is now trying to walk back.

Voter fatigue is going to come early this time between all of Trump's antics and the deluge of political advertising, plus Bloomberg is just making it worse with so many ad buys.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

8 hours ago, Rue said:

Seriously, yah I get that. Its the cornerstone of any democracy.

However now you should know why I like Mitt Romney. That is my idea of a Republican. Its too bad people write him off so quickly. He was that perfect blend of business sense but too cool to get caught up in rudeness or private lifestyle issues. He always kept his own strict religious beliefs out of  his public life. Too bad so  many people wrote him off for being a Mormon. I think he can serve as a valuable conscience for the Republicans, McConnell just is not a man offering Republicans a reason other than Trump to vote Republican. If the Dems were smart they would recruit Romney. If the Dems melt down I wish he'd run as a third party candidate and give both sides an option. Romney's expert as a Republican in Massachusetts as Democratic a state as it can get speaks loudly to his abilities to unify people. Then again I actually said the same thing about Arnold Schwraznegger as a Republican.

Maybe a bit too left for you not for me. I go for low deficits and small government but civil liberty on private issues. Truthfully economic issues are what bugs me about Trump. Its the other crap. I think his toughness with Iran was on the mark but I do not understand his softness on Putin and Jung. I also think he was and is planning a trade deal with China in spite of all his posing.

I noticed today that nutcase in the Philippines signaled he wants out of a military alliance with Trump. We shall see how that plays out.

I like Romney too, but there’s absolutely no way he could join Democrats.  He’s not for open borders and massive illegal immigration.  He’s not for even bigger deficits, and even bigger debt.  He’s not for new entitlements.  He’s not for the green new deal and other new massive tax increases and regulatory increases.  He has almost nothing in common with them, other than the vote on impeachment.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shady said:

I like Romney too, but there’s absolutely no way he could join Democrats.  He’s not for open borders and massive illegal immigration.  He’s not for even bigger deficits, and even bigger debt.  He’s not for new entitlements.  He’s not for the green new deal and other new massive tax increases and regulatory increases.  He has almost nothing in common with them, other than the vote on impeachment.

True. That's the reality of it.

11 hours ago, Shady said:

Standard procedure.

4ED65C16-8672-47AC-90D7-E13D82D6466F.jpeg

Why I think it is worrisome for Trump is that when he got elected the civilian intelligence establishment considered Obama their "boy". The CIA, FBI, Homeland Security all became political ideology extensions of a foreign policy that Americans instinctually rejected. Americans did not buy into Obama on foreign policy and his close affiliation with the Muslim Brotherhood and placing its supporters in all these above listed offices to sanitize the word "terrorist" out of any reference to Muslims and on an on.

Trump was elected as a backlash to a policy that saw a warrior state under Obama apologize for being a warrior state. Trump played on that no different then most populists use jingoism to get elected. He pulled a  Mussolini. He went into the crowds, found out what angered them, then fed back the anger saying he would bash the source of the anger. This is exactly how Mussolini got elected. He sent people into the crowds to find out what they hated then appealed that hatred by posing himself was a great warrior come to slew their beasts. Trump used his media to do that. Trump had a marketing empire that exists by feeling the pulse of his audience to know what to sell them. Reapplying that to politics from real estate and selling ties, suits, meat, was not to big a stretch.

The thing though is and I argue, is that he had to have the military intelligence network that despised Obama's civilian intelligence network behind him to win. He had the full support of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and all its myriad of intelligence connections and therefore military industrial complex network support. Hilary did not. In fact her disasterous business network courted the very businesses the military industrial network considered the enemy, specifically China and outside contractors.

Now Trump seems to have turned on his military supporters. He has openly fired and insulted many and his behaviour in Europe during several memorials had to have had a very disturbing ripple effect of insult to them. He does things no military person could look the other way on. Now mind you Trump is not as stupid as he acts. After he sucked up to Erdogan he quickly reversed himself. His approval of the take out of the Iranian chief of military had to have improved his standing again but his alliances with Putin, Kim Jung and now his mixed signals with China and Erdogan, who the hell knows what that means to the military grown tired of his instability. I think they may sit the next election out and not tell their network of industrial contractors to make sure to vote for him. I also do not think the Evangelical Christian block of voters a very powerful source for putting a Republican  in office is happy with him.

He's also actually burned his bridge with a lot of Republican Senators who feel they could survive with him thrown out of office having two years to distance themselves from him and push another leader before their elections. So this is not so much Trump's election to win as it is lose. At this point he has no one really  running against him. What he has shown is  in the vacuum of an alternative, he is capable of doing anything, literally. 

I still think at this time Trump is gonna get re-elected unless he "dies" and choking on a chicken bone is always something to think about if you go too far.  I would watch Romney who is not done yet and the Dems for a late outsider coming in. It just smells to me like the Dems are holding off on someone to slip in later with a staged messiah has come dance performance. The way the party is split and setup to make late entry a possibility in its convention , I just smell that as a possibility.

Edited by Rue

35 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

President Trump is packing them in at another in-your-face political rally in New Hampshire.  

Trump supporters started lining up yesterday in the rain, attending the rally as a show of voter force.

....Democrats wish they had it so good.

Think Trump will once again cry "Thank God for the uneducated!"?