Are humans really responsible for climate change?

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

It has nothing to do with parsing.  It has to do with lemmings.

And that's OK...lemmings are part of the mix.

The majority of others will make personal and economic decisions to their liking and/or self interest, as always.

Nothing special about "climate change".

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

And that's OK...lemmings are part of the mix.

The majority of others will make personal and economic decisions to their liking and/or self interest, as always.

Nothing special about "climate change".

There's nothing special about anything unless one makes it so.  Climate Change was, and is, inevitable.

I'm just lamenting the fact. 

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

There's nothing special about anything unless one makes it so.  Climate Change was, and is, inevitable.

I'm just lamenting the fact. 

OK...just add climate change to the list of things that keep some people awake at night.

For others it is just another exercise in thermodynamics.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, eyeball said:

Probably true.  I've often said the biggest eight-ball humanity is behind is its dishonest governance.  Fix that and virtually everything that confounds and bedevils us would change.

Considering we are sending recyclable material overseas means we don't have the ability to recycle all that plastic. So we send it overseas??  Plastics are found in many aquatic species.

Speaking of dishonest governance.

The Trump administration takes climate denial to new heights

Imagine that the government decided to provide subsidies to tobacco companies, actively encouraged people to take up smoking, then instructed the National Institutes of Health to not only shut down its cancer research but to also cease all mentions of the word “cancer.” That is pretty much what the Trump administration is doing on climate. And we’re all going to pay the price.

So while the Trump administration is doing everything it can to prevent any reduction in carbon emissions, it is simultaneously trying to stop government scientists from explaining what will happen if we don’t reduce carbon emissions. That is simply mind-boggling.

The good news is that despite the US federal government's pigheadedness local and state governments have still been able to collectively reduce US CO2 emissions.  Reality has a progressive bias - like rust it never sleeps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GostHacked said:

Considering we are sending recyclable material overseas means we don't have the ability to recycle all that plastic. So we send it overseas??  Plastics are found in many aquatic species.

Selling "recycable" material to overseas is becasue of environmental laws and costs. Just follow the money, don't believe all the 'kumbaya" from the treehuggers

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GostHacked said:

I disagree one the main reasons we ship out plastics or in this case garbage, is there is no money in it....media reports there is a huge surplus of recyclable plastics but there is no profit to be made from it...Not all plastics are created equal and the low grade stuff there is no market for.

hmm, may be it is not our fault after all :rolleyes:

Scientists find undisturbed pockets of seawater from the last Ice Age 20,000 years ago in the Maldives - and say they will provide clues about our planet's changing climate

• Scientists found the virtually undisturbed sample within limestone deposits
  • The piece is thought to be from the last Ice Age, which was 20,000 years ago
  • The team squeezed the water out of an ancient rock from the Indian Ocean
  • When they examined the sample, they found that it was a lot saltier and more chlorinated than the conditions found in the modern ocean 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7078371/Piece-Earths-ancient-oceans-preserved-underground-20-000-years.html

Edited by egghead

17 hours ago, GostHacked said:

What I really couldn't stomach was the thought of some hapless 3rd world 10 year old being forced to high-grade my recyclables as part of the process of my garbage ending up in the ocean.  Our regional district is apparently using gps devices to trace where it sends the recyclables it collects and it seems its going to legitimate recyclers here in Canada. That was a real relief.

11 hours ago, eyeball said:

What I really couldn't stomach was the thought of some hapless 3rd world 10 year old being forced to high-grade my recyclables as part of the process of my garbage ending up in the ocean.  Our regional district is apparently using gps devices to trace where it sends the recyclables it collects and it seems its going to legitimate recyclers here in Canada. That was a real relief.

haha, a way to feel better about yourself. The truth is that you can't handle the truth (ya, even for BCers who actually pay for the plastics recycling)

6 hours ago, eyeball said:

And what truth would you be referring to exactly? A link to wherever your talking about might help.

The truth is that your collected recyclable materials may not be recycled in the recycling plants. They can be contaminated (nothing to do with your bin) or to be dim as items of no value.

sry, I cannot find a link. It is because no leftist friendly media will do a full report on the recylcing crisis, may be a segment.

Edited by egghead

20 hours ago, eyeball said:

What I can't understand is how they get over there with nobody noticing.  I have this picture of 1st world tourists in 3rd world beauty spots, furtively dropping plastic down their pant legs like the allied prisoners in The Great Escape. 

I can't think of any other way we could dump our plastic over there without someone seeing us.

3 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I can't think of any other way we could dump our plastic over there without someone seeing us.

You probably do it with some government department backstopping you and container ships.

You thought those things were going back to sea empty?  I see them steaming by on the horizon everyday.

On 5/29/2019 at 11:17 PM, eyeball said:

You probably do it with some government department backstopping you and container ships.

You thought those things were going back to sea empty?  I see them steaming by on the horizon everyday.

China is NOT wanting any more scrap plastic these days.  This is why the CN proposal to ship solid bitumen back to China by encasing it in "pucks" made from waste plastic will never fly.

On 12/30/2018 at 7:57 AM, Canuck100 said:

It appears from most if not all MSM reports that this question has already been settled.

I have written the governing party of my own province asking their policy on climate change. I suspect they don’t have one or are trying to avoid the subject. 

The problem in my oppinion is that the answer to this question was never properly answered. For years now MSM has simply said “scientists agree with each other that humans have caused climate change (global warming) or whatever. 

I could go on and on, but there are many credible scientists that have never been allowed by the MSM to have their say. It may be true that most people who only follow MSM may agree that “Humans are causing Climate Change”. That does not make it true. 

Only if enough people do their own research, will there be any hope of getting at the truth and stopping what I believe is a historically evil hoax intentionally put in place to allow for a world governing dictatorship, never seen before.

For the sake of your grandchildren you at least owe it to them to explore this issue further. Here is a good article to get you started on some alternative views:

https://www.iceagenow.info/

Nope, but nature is. Nature has done more to destroy the earth more then humans can or will ever do. I do not believe that it is humans that are causing all these weather calamities going on these days. To me it is more like nature doing some house cleaning or earthly property furniture rearranging. The earth has been bombarded with meteors, flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes,  droughts, fires, and so much more for centuries now but yet we are all here. Humans and all other living things on earth have survived the onslaught. The only thing that I can see where humans may be doing some damage to the environment is all thanks to the over population crises in the world, especially in the third world, where they keep breeding like flies. A little cut back on births is needed in those countries and all should and will be fine. :)

Often missing from climate change discussion is cosmic contribution.  As we move in and out of parts of the Milky Way, there is a subtle but substantial energy contribution that seems to go ignored from models.  Also, instant catastrophic risks such as impacts that caused mass extinctions are there.   From what I understand, during eruptions and large forest fires, nature far surpasses anthro output but those events are not continuous (nor predictable).

I am deep in tech research for commercial reasons, so appologize I have no time to research what I think is the real key to how much carbon contribution is avoidable and how much we can not change (i.e. oceanic CO2 release), and if I can get a break I will cite what I can once again hopefully find.

While I can agree, there is not much we do that does not contribute to the problem, but I am still not sure that our best efforts will avoid what nature is going to throw at us anyhow.

Of course, if we were under 2 bn and holding instead of past 7 bn and heading for genuine unsustainable population levels, this would all be moot.

Edited by cannuck

1 hour ago, Shady said:

Explain how.  Anyways, how bout this?

A4232051-E7A8-4114-A5A1-4598CCB86694.jpeg

Yeah.  So "Noel Brown" ... "director" ... "official" ... ie. not a scientist

Yes he was full of shit, but don't try to say he was a climate scientist who made an inaccurate prediction or created a flawed study.  There is plenty of bullshit on both sides, but to deny climate change altogether is IMO the worst.   This guy is just repeating something he heard in a bar.