4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I hear you about the self-promotion, but Trudeau does seem to be pushing for pipelines, which are greener than shipping by truck or rail.  

I don’t think he’s doing any more than making the appearance of trying. 

If he really wanted them built then why would he announce publicly that Canada is phasing out the oil sands? 

Who really wants to invest tens of billions on pipelines to ship oil that we will stop producing?

11 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I hear you about the self-promotion, but Trudeau does seem to be pushing for pipelines, which are greener than shipping by truck or rail.  

Self promotion is a wash, they both do it shamelessly. Trump holds a rally a week it seems. Trump gave a lot of money to himself and other rich people with his tax cuts.  Trudeau spends money on some other dumb stuff. As for killing the energy industry, he did buy a pipeline and commit himself to getting Trans Mountain built. Will look pretty bad on him if he can't. Pretty depressing how hard it can be to get infrastructure built in this country, even if you are government. You can't hang all that on Trudeau Jr. though.

3 hours ago, Wilber said:

Self promotion is a wash, they both do it shamelessly. Trump holds a rally a week it seems. Trump gave a lot of money to himself and other rich people with his tax cuts.  Trudeau spends money on some other dumb stuff. As for killing the energy industry, he did buy a pipeline and commit himself to getting Trans Mountain built. Will look pretty bad on him if he can't. Pretty depressing how hard it can be to get infrastructure built in this country, even if you are government. You can't hang all that on Trudeau Jr. though.

I agree.  I think Trump and Trudeau are two sides of the same coin: fear-monger tax slasher and bleeding heart spendthrift.  Can't have one without the other.  I do think the feds should play hardball to get this pipeline built.  I think it's time to declare pipelines a matter of national security to circumvent court challenges.  At a certain point the consultations must end.  Harper, with all his faults, understood that Canada is and should embrace being an energy super power.  If our vast territory can't handle the environmental impacts of a few pipelines, how can we expect to have any resource-based industry in Canada?  

Edited by Zeitgeist

15 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I dunno if this is all just conspiracy theory stuff, but I’ve heard that the amount of money that the railway companies make from shipping oil is one of the biggest obstacles. 

They're funding the resistance to the pipelines.  

On 10/8/2018 at 10:41 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Indeed...I hope Mr. Hedges sells lots of books...peddling old ideas to a new generation.

Indeed, there are common themes behind many of his ideas.  In particular, the American worship of ignorance and disdain for intellectualism has been written about by other great minds in the past.  For example, in 1980, Isaac Asimov wrote his famous essay A Cult of Ignorance.  Following is an excerpt:

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.

Imagine what Asimov would say if he were alive to see mindless MAGA freaks worship a a man who lies constantly to them and treats them like shit.  And then they elect him president.  Orwell would have a field day.

That doesn't mean that Hedges stole Asimov's ideas.  However, if you're one of those that inhabits that cult of ignorance with its disdain for reading and complete disregard for nuance, you might conclude that there are no differences between what Asimov said and what Hedges is now saying.

12 minutes ago, ReeferMadness said:

...That doesn't mean that Hedges stole Asimov's ideas.  However, if you're one of those that inhabits that cult of ignorance with its disdain for reading and complete disregard for nuance, you might conclude that there are no differences between what Asimov said and what Hedges is now saying.

No worries...I was aware enough to have already made the distinction decades ago...no help from foreign authors required.

I prefer the cult that laughs at and mocks those who think it makes any difference.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 12:17 AM, ReeferMadness said:

Imagine what Asimov would say if he were alive to see mindless MAGA Leftist freaks worship a a man who lies constantly to them and treats them like shit.  And then they elect him president Prime Minister.  Orwell would have a field day.

Fixed it for ya.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Can’t come up with your own stuff?

Ha, I already called it long ago.

On 2/10/2018 at 10:53 PM, OftenWrong said:

Mr. Trudeau could be the same kind of leader as Mr. Trump, just on the opposite side of the political spectrum. He has the same style, appeal to emotionalism. His personal background is similar too... born into wealth, fame, guaranteed success, with no prior experience in politics. No prior experience in working at all, really.

Edited by OftenWrong

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

You know what you're supposed to do when you "have a problem", right?

Let me put it another way. I don’t like it, posts belong to those who make them. I will “fix” my own stuff as I see fit and respect your ability to do the same.

If that’s a problem, I’m fine with it.

7 hours ago, Wilber said:

Let me put it another way. I don’t like it, posts belong to those who make them. I will “fix” my own stuff as I see fit and respect your ability to do the same.

If that’s a problem, I’m fine with it.

But no one has altered yours, or any other persons posts here. The main point is that all "problems", whether real or imaginary should be dealt with per forum rules, not by cluttering up threads.

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

But no one has altered yours, or any other persons posts here. The main point is that all "problems", whether real or imaginary should be dealt with per forum rules, not by cluttering up threads.

If you have a "problem" with my opinion, that's your problem. Deal with it.

55 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

I'm curious as to why a lot of foreigners think authoritarian tendencies in democracies are limited to the United States.

I don't think they do, what's disturbing is to see this trend in the most heavily armed country on the planet. The one that is continually crowing to the rest of the world about how free and democratic it is.

The United States ranks quite well for freedom and democracy compared to all the nations of the world....has for decades...when there was even more "authoritarianism".

Maybe that's why the U.S. has more landed immigrants than any other country...by far.   The "rest of the world" voting with their feet.

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The United States ranks quite well for freedom and democracy compared to all the nations of the world....has for decades...when there was even more "authoritarianism".

Maybe that's why the U.S. has more landed immigrants than any other country...by far.   The "rest of the world" voting with their feet.

I've heard that line repeated almost verbatim a few times now.  It starts to sound like propaganda delivered by a bot.  Why do I get the feeling I'd be hearing it even if California fell into the ocean after an earthquake?

Edited by Zeitgeist

58 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I've heard that line repeated almost verbatim a few times now.  It starts to sound like propaganda delivered by a bot.  Why do I get the feeling I'd be hearing it even if California fell into the ocean after an earthquake?

Because it is true, and has been true for many generations.   There is nothing you can post that refutes this historical reality, or the emigration choice that millions of other nationals have made for the USA, including Canadians.  

52 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Because it is true, and has been true for many generations.   There is nothing you can post that refutes this historical reality, or the emigration choice that millions of other nationals have made for the USA, including Canadians.  

Quantity doesn't speak to quality...Mcdonalds for example sells 75 hamburgers a sec.  

16 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Quality doesn't speak to quantity....quantity wins.   There are a quantity of reasons that the authoritarian USA's population is 10X that of Canada's.

This is old ground and you’ve received your responses. It’s about the better climate, and earlier on in your history, the extra freedom that created the economy of scale that you continue to enjoy.  The US faces major challenges with violence, socioeconomic disparity, political polarization, and environmental pressures. The US is up there in many rankings, but not all, especially with regard to infant mortality, homicides, even life expectancy and happiness.  It’s a great country, but anyone who is well informed sees the shortcomings.  On foreign policy it’s one big “Meh” and worse under Trump.