Cruz was booed

Senator Ted Cruz is a sore loser, and only hurt himself with such a stunt. I mean c'mon...this is a guy who even denounced Canadian citizenship !

Anyway....he supposedly signed pledge(s) to endorse the GOP nominee no matter who won:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/jul/21/did-ted-cruz-pledge-back-republican-nominee/

More free media buzz for Trump even in, ironically, Canada !

Even though I loathe Ted Cruz, I have to admire the sheer amount of balls this took.

-k

Yes, pretty amusing. Trump claims he saw the speech ahead of time, but I also heard (haven't seen a clip) that he ran onstage to try to stop or distract?

Anyway trust repubs to boo voting one's conscience.

Senator Ted Cruz is a sore loser, and only hurt himself with such a stunt. I mean c'mon...this is a guy who even denounced Canadian citizenship !

Anyway....he supposedly signed pledge(s) to endorse the GOP nominee no matter who won:

That was before the nominee said his father was involved in the assassination of Kennedy, right?

I honestly don't see how anyone with an ounce of self-respect could see themselves sneered at, mocked, insulted and put down by Trump's childish insults and then turn around and endorse that person. Chris Christie has become a joke for sucking up to the guy who treated him like a fat putz.

Cruz is nothing more than a slimy, opportunistic weasel. There was nothing brilliant about this.

True on the weasel assessment but I disagree with the second part. I think it was well played.

Trump shouldn't have said anything about Heidi that was a low blow.

Cruz got the last laugh.

True on the weasel assessment but I disagree with the second part. I think it was well played.

Trump shouldn't have said anything about Heidi that was a low blow.

Cruz got the last laugh.

I don't think this had anything to do with his wife or father. It had to do with his run at the Presidency in 2020.

I don't think this had anything to do with his wife or father. It had to do with his run at the Presidency in 2020.

Today, in response to last night, Cruz said he wouldn't endorse someone who attacked his wife and frankly I think he has every right. He may have ulterior motives but for what he stated, he's totally just.

The way he went about it was great though. Well played. The look on Trump and family was precious.

The time to get tough was during the campaign. Instead, Cruz initially let others do the hard lifting against Trump while he drafted along in his slipstream.

He was the most talented candidate in the field but I think there will be even less of a market next time round for what he is selling.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

WTF?

Jeb Bush did not say anything. Ted Cruz was invited to say what he said.

Who has the balls?

Cruz was invited... but not to disrespect Trump at his own convention. The Bush family-- all of them-- took the high road by declining to attend Trump's coronation.

Cruz, on the other hand, didn't take the high road. And the sheer audacity of what he did-- agree with him or not-- took balls. Watch the video of the end of the speech, where he smirks defiantly as thousands of people boo and howl at him, looking like he is savoring the moment... and tell me that didn't take balls.

There's no doubt in my mind that it was personal, but I also read some comments from Cruz earlier this week. He was doing some post-mortem of the campaign, where he complained that he was portrayed as an intolerant nut-case televangelist... and he drops this in his speech last night:

"Freedom means religious freedom, whether you are Christian or Jew, Muslim or atheist. Gay or straight. The Bill of Rights protects the rights of all of us to live according to our conscience."

...it makes me think he's already positioning himself for 2020. I think he's banking that Trump's campaign is going to go down in flames in a Hindenburg type disaster, and that there won't be any political retribution for refusing to endorse the Hindenburg.

-k

There's no doubt in my mind that it was personal, but I also read some comments from Cruz earlier this week. He was doing some post-mortem of the campaign, where he complained that he was portrayed as an intolerant nut-case televangelist... and he drops this in his speech last night:

"Freedom means religious freedom, whether you are Christian or Jew, Muslim or atheist. Gay or straight. The Bill of Rights protects the rights of all of us to live according to our conscience."

...it makes me think he's already positioning himself for 2020. I think he's banking that Trump's campaign is going to go down in flames in a Hindenburg type disaster, and that there won't be any political retribution for refusing to endorse the Hindenburg.

-k

This passage stood out to me too, I mentioned it in my status update yesterday. He not only didn't endorse Trump, he basically rebuked him without saying so.

It was also interesting what came after. He got a few mild claps with the religious rights, then he went on mention LGBT rights which got a few more claps, to gun rights (roar) to fetus rights (standing o).

The progression of his choices put the religion and sexual-orientation rights it in the exact context of what his audience needed to hear it in. He did very well.

Edited by BC_chick

Cruz was booed by the delegates and they repeated Trump over and over again last night when Cruz made his speech and didn't endorse Trump. Cruz and the Bush family are against Trump and they probably would vote for Clinton, since they are partners in crime. http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/20/politics/ted-cruz-republican-convention-moment/

One politician who doesn't hold his finger to the wind before saying what he thinks. And I agree about no endorsing some loser like Trump who makes fun of the disabled, Cruz's wife and insinuated that his father was involved in the Kennedy assassination.

That was before the nominee said his father was involved in the assassination of Kennedy, right?

I honestly don't see how anyone with an ounce of self-respect could see themselves sneered at, mocked, insulted and put down by Trump's childish insults and then turn around and endorse that person. Chris Christie has become a joke for sucking up to the guy who treated him like a fat putz.

I don't care for Cruz but IMO he did show some integrity by not endorsing Trump, how could he after what was said about his family.

I don't care for Cruz but IMO he did show some integrity by not endorsing Trump, how could he after what was said about his family.

I totally agree though I felt more warmly towards Cruz. He is a man of integrity and principal; a true class act.

Then he should have stayed home. Can't have it both ways.

Trump wanted him to speak. Cruz made no promises. Cruz circulated a draft of the speech to the Trump campaign. Story over.

What are you people talking about? "Well Played"...really? Good grief, by the end of it, he looked like he was about to actually cry. He stepped in it big time. This was political suicide - and before the end of the speech, he knew it.

Reagan was similarly lukewarm about Ford in 1976, with no notable "political suicide" at the time despite the orations of the "savvy" set.

Edited by jbg

Ted Cruz ia about as likable a fellow as Al Gore...."Lucifer in the flesh":

The comment, which was made public by Boehner's former spokesman, revives the well-documented animosity between the former speaker of the House and the former presidential hopeful. Throughout the Republican primary, Boehner made it clear that he would never vote for Cruz, deeming him "Lucifer in the flesh" and a "miserable son of a bitch." As for Trump, Boehner has said the two were "texting buddies."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/07/john-boehner-ted-cruz-lucifer-donald-trump

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I totally agree though I felt more warmly towards Cruz. He is a man of integrity and principal; a true class act.

Trump wanted him to speak. Cruz made no promises. Cruz circulated a draft of the speech to the Trump campaign. Story over.

Reagan was similarly lukewarm about Ford in 1976, with no notable "political suicide" at the time despite the orations of the "savvy" set.

The difference is, Reagan told the party that they should unite, Cruz told them to vote their conscience. The new buzz word these days is "dog while" politics - and Cruz played it. BTW - Cruz is no Ronald Reagan.

I can't wait until people who applaud Cruz's integrity try to make it OK when Sanders (who has been openly shafted by the media and DNC) stumps for Hillary.