Islamophobia in Canada

Just now, dialamah said:

No.

Don't think it went unnoticed how quickly you ran when invited to actually discuss your views on Muslims.  

Why would Mohammad not approve of ISIS.

I don't answer the 'do you still beat your wife' questions.

Why don't you tell me what you think of Muslims instead....not a question.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Throughout history, people have been doing evil things because they thought it would please their God.  It isn't that complicated.

It's not the full picture.  It's a factor of culture, but not the driving factor otherwise we would still be following the bible to the letter.

38 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's not the full picture.  It's a factor of culture, but not the driving factor otherwise we would still be following the bible to the letter.

And that is Islam's problem mike, they follow the old rules. And if anyone ever tried to change the old ways, would not live to see another day.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PIK said:

Then explain what you think M103 is?

From this cite:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2017/02/20/factors-to-consider-about-sharia-law-and-m103.html

This summary is good:

First, it’s not a bill. It’s a non-binding motion asking the government to study “Systemic Racism and Religious Discrimination.” There is no new law or changes to laws. Quebec passed a similar motion in 2015. There is still no Caliph or “Sharia” laws on the books.

Second, M103 is not giving preference to a community, but rather is tackling a pressing issue by responding to a petition on Islamophobia presented last year after hate against Muslims more than doubled in a two-year period. As noted by the Globe, “Motions like this usually receive little attention; this one has taken over Parliament.” Such opposition within weeks of the slaughter of six Muslims praying is not only insensitive, but highly irresponsible.

Third, to claim it is the lead chariot in the procession of Islamization is ludicrous. Islamophobes love the “Sharia,” because its mere mention effectively shuts down any critical thought or reasonable discussion. In fact, the moment the word is used, with all the negative associations, Islamophobes win without even having advanced a single coherent argument.

Just now, dialamah said:

Tunisia.  

This is okie-dokie to you? Seems Islam is a PROBLEM in Tunisia. Tunisia used to be Christian...can you imagine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Tunisia

I'd hate to see what an extremists thinks if that's moderate.

9 minutes ago, Goddess said:

It's a conundrum.  

Muslims need the freedom the West provides in order to practice non-fundamentalist Islam.

Yet the West is villified in Islam.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali says "clerics who have come to realize that their religion must change if its followers are not to be condemned to an interminable cycle of political violence" and so you see that they will require the freedom of the 'west', and integration, to provide a platform for the change.  Which society is more likely to succeed - the society that puts up walls and persecutes dissidents or the one that allows people freedom to pursue their destinies ?  I have faith in the west, and the strength of openness and truth.  Islam will integrate just as the Puritans did.

13 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Tunisia.  

It seems they are off to a good start with making some reforms.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Tunisia

Reading the above, I understand a bit better how difficult these changes will be and the time it takes to change people's views.  

A desire for modernization or a political necessity?

If the country truly desires modernization and reform of Islam, I hope they continue to work on this.  If it's only being done out of political necessity, the reforms already underway will likely be repealed when they are no longer serving the political party in power.

I hope they continue in the direction they are going.  Thanks, Dia :)

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Ayaan Hirsi Ali says "clerics who have come to realize that their religion must change if its followers are not to be condemned to an interminable cycle of political violence" and so you see that they will require the freedom of the 'west', and integration, to provide a platform for the change.  Which society is more likely to succeed - the society that puts up walls and persecutes dissidents or the one that allows people freedom to pursue their destinies ?  I have faith in the west, and the strength of openness and truth.  Islam will integrate just as the Puritans did.

That doesn't prove to be the case in western Europe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Let not believers take disbelievers as allies rather than believers. And whoever [of you] does that has nothing with Allah, except when taking precaution against them in prudence. And Allah warns you of Himself, and to Allah is the [final] destination.

https://quran.com/3/28

Integration will go the other way...or violence will follow...like it does EVERYWHERE Islam goes.

1 minute ago, Goddess said:

It seems they are off to a good start with making some reforms.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Tunisia

Reading the above, I understand a bit better how difficult these changes will be and the time it takes to change people's views.  

If the country truly desires modernization and reform of Islam, I hope they continue to work on this.  If it's only being done out of political necessity, the reforms already underway will likely be repealed when they are no longer serving the political party in power.

I hope they continue in the direction they are going.  Thanks, Dia :)

That's wonderful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1CShFy0NI

14 minutes ago, Goddess said:

It's a conundrum.  

Muslims need the freedom the West provides in order to practice non-fundamentalist Islam.

This is very true, thanks for pointing it out.

15 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Yet the West is villified in Islam.

How could "the West" be vilified in Islam since it didn't exist at the time Islam was founded?

It is, in my opinion, more accurate to say that as Western intervention continued in Muslim-majority countries, the people there began to view "the West" as a problem and that's where the vilification arose from.  

And its not universal, either.  Tunisia used the US Constitution to model their Constitution on.

7 minutes ago, dialamah said:

This is very true, thanks for pointing it out.

How could "the West" be vilified in Islam since it didn't exist at the time Islam was founded?

It is, in my opinion, more accurate to say that as Western intervention continued in Muslim-majority countries, the people there began to view "the West" as a problem and that's where the vilification arose from.  

And its not universal, either.  Tunisia used the US Constitution to model their Constitution on.

Untrue yet again.

Dar al-Gharb is the term used: House of the West aka Dar al-Harb...the House of War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisions_of_the_world_in_Islam

12 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Prove is a pretty strong word.  It's usually used in science not cultural studies.  Anyway, what are you disagreeing with ?  All I have done is quoted Ali, and provided some conjecture.  

It is important to lie in order to protect Islam...and here's an example.

Islam in Europe?? What problems??

10 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

It will take time to change people's views. Time and a concerted effort by moderate Muslims.  I really feel moderates need to speak up more.  This is the time.

I understand about this, because I'm considered an "apostate" in my former religion.  When I found out it was all bull$hit, it was such a relief.  Throwing off the physical shackles of it is the easier part, IMO.  The harder part is getting mentally free of it - it takes a concerted effort to train your mind to think along different lines, create new  neural pathways in your brain and not continue down the thought patterns of previous beliefs.