Islamophobia in Canada

Just now, Goddess said:

It will take time to change people's views. Time and a concerted effort by moderate Muslims.  I really feel moderates need to speak up more.  This is the time.

I understand about this, because I'm considered an "apostate" in my former religion.  When I found out it was all bull$hit, it was such a relief.  Throwing off the physical shackles of it is the easier part, IMO.  The harder part is getting mentally free of it - it takes a concerted effort to train your mind to think along different lines, create new  neural pathways in your brain and not continue down the thought patterns of previous beliefs.

Are you going to a Tunisian beach resort to show your trust in the new peaceful Islam?

3 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

It is important to lie in order to protect Islam...and here's an example.

Islam in Europe?? What problems??

Misrepresenting what I said is lying.  Saying other people lie when you lie yourself is called hypocrisy.  Nowhere did I say there are no problems.  This is an example of another low-quality post that provides a constant level of whitenoise to this forum.

• Like 1

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

Are you going to a Tunisian beach resort to show your trust in the new peaceful Islam?

LOL

No, it's still obvious to me that the religion needs reform badly and there is a lot of resistance to this, and not enough moderates speaking out.

But I'm not going to knock Tunisia for trying to make some strides.  As I said, I hope they continue down the path, and not backslide when and if a different government takes over.

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

Misrepresenting what I said is lying.  Saying other people lie when you lie yourself is called hypocrisy.  Nowhere did I say there are no problems.  This is an example of another low-quality post that provides a constant level of whitenoise to this forum.

You're free to protect Islam...I'm free to be its critic. Unless that's a sin to you...

1 minute ago, Goddess said:

LOL

No, it's still obvious to me that the religion needs reform badly and there is a lot of resistance to this, and not enough moderates speaking out.

But I'm not going to knock Tunisia for trying to make some strides.  As I said, I hope they continue down the path, and not backslide when and if a different government takes over.

I know...let's tear down that statue of Stonewall Jackson...that'll show 'em.

:lol:

You keep hoping...I'll be over here whenever needed.

19 minutes ago, dialamah said:

It is, in my opinion, more accurate to say that as Western intervention continued in Muslim-majority countries, the people there began to view "the West" as a problem and that's where the vilification arose from.

Getting rid of the victim mentality and not blaming the West for all their problems would be another factor in how well any reform goes in Islam.

Just now, Goddess said:

Getting rid of the victim mentality and not blaming the West for all their problems would be another factor in how well any reform goes in Islam.

Keep in mind Islam refers to all non-Muslim regions as the House of War...not the house of reform...not the house of integrating with kafir and making friends. 

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

You're free to protect Islam...I'm free to be its critic. Unless that's a sin to you...

Ignoring valid criticism of yourself, and continuing to misrepresent what I post.  It's not a 'sin' to be a hypocrite but there's this thing about people who live in glass houses not throwing stones.  Your posts are a constant stream of moralizing, and yet you act immorally by misrepresenting others and refusing to accept criticism.   There's really no discussion possible there.   

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

Ignoring valid criticism of yourself, and continuing to misrepresent what I post.  It's not a 'sin' to be a hypocrite but there's this thing about people who live in glass houses not throwing stones.  Your posts are a constant stream of moralizing, and yet you act immorally by misrepresenting others and refusing to accept criticism.   There's really no discussion possible there.   

No worries. I've already given you the ol' Mene, mene, tekel, Upharsin...

5 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Coolio.  

I actually cried when he died.  The only other celebrity that affected me that way was Princess Di.

Indeed a class act. His shows were always fun....like Nardwuar's.

Edited by DogOnPorch
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Not having Western countries organize coups, set up dictators and drop bombs on their countries would go a long way to helping them get rid of their "victim mentality".  I agree we can't take all the blame for all the instability in the Middle East, but pretending our activities have had no influence on their perceptions of us is wrong.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Not having Western countries organize coups, set up dictators and drop bombs on their countries would go a long way to helping them get rid of their "victim mentality".  I agree we can't take all the blame for all the instability in the Middle East, but pretending our activities have had no influence on their perceptions of us is wrong.

i never said that.  I just am saying that they cannot be blaming the West 100%.

I agree the West should stay out much more than they have.  But I also feel that some of the "bungles" attributed to the West were not so much a result of bad intentions on the part of the West, as they just grossly underestimated the extent of religious fanaticism in those countries.

4 hours ago, dialamah said:

Exactly right!

The average Joe in the West doesn't care how the oil finds its way to their car. They are not interested in who is killing who as long as they get the fuel and keeps it running. But I am sick and tired of listening to these tiresome preachings and soundbites about establishing democracy in the Middle East, human rights, women and gay rights and yet we have hypocrites like POTUS who signs a 110 billion dollar arms contract with Saudi Arabia. Was that because women cannot drive in Saudi Arabia? Noooo. Is that because POTUS is infatuated with the attire of the sheikh or their sword dance? Nooo. It's retro dollar stupid...The hypocrisy stinks and when you state the facts as it is they label you as an anti western.

There are so many dictators around the world but hey we are not interested in them because they don't have oil...

Edited by kactus

3 minutes ago, kactus said:

Exactly right!

The average Joe in the West doesn't care how the oil gets their car. They are not interested in who is killing who as long as they get the fuel and keeps it running. But I am sick and tired of listening to these tiresome preachings and soundbites about establishing democracy in the Middle East, human rights, women and gay rights and yet we have hypocrites like POTUS who signs a 110 billion dollar arms contract with Saudi Arabia. Was that because women cannot drive in Saudi Arabia? Noooo. Is that because POTUS is infatuated with the attire of the sheikh or their sword dance? Nooo. It's retro dollar stupid...The hypocrisy stinks.

There are so many dictators around the world but hey we are not interested in them because they don't have oil...

Ya, it bothers me that we brought over all the Syrians, but said a big "F*&%$K You!" to the Yazidis.

8 hours ago, Goddess said:

Ya, it bothers me that we brought over all the Syrians, but said a big "F*&%$K You!" to the Yazidis.

Last time I checked the majority of Syrian refugees are in another part of the world. So your assertion that "we (as western countries) brought over all the Syrians" is false....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War

Refugees of the Syrian Civil War
Total population:

5,165,502 refugees (registered, August 2017)[1]
6,130,000–6,320,000 refugees (based on UN estimate, March 2016)[2]

Regions with important populations (over 1,000 refugees)[a]
23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Turkey 3,079,914 (registered as of July 2017)[3]
23px-Flag_of_Lebanon.svg.png Lebanon 2.2 million (estimated arrivals as of December 2015)
1,001,051 (registered)[4]
23px-Flag_of_Jordan.svg.png Jordan 1,265,000 (census results as of November 2015)[5]
661,114 (registered July 2017)[6]
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 600,000 (2014 to late 2016)[7]
429,000 (registered by late 2016)
456,023 (applicants by February 2016)
23px-Flag_of_Saudi_Arabia.svg.png Saudi Arabia 500,000 (estimated overstays as of 2016)[8][9]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Arab_Emirates.sv United Arab Emirates 242,000 (estimated overstays as of 2015)[10][11]
23px-Flag_of_Iraq.svg.png Iraq (incl. Iraqi Kurdistan) 230,836 (registered)[12]
23px-Flag_of_Kuwait.svg.png Kuwait 155,000+[8][13] (estimated overstays to June 2015)
23px-Flag_of_Egypt.svg.png Egypt 117,702 (registered by March 2016)
122,228 (UNHCR estimate as of July 2017)[14]
500,000 (Egypt MFA estimate as of September 2016)
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden 110,333 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png Hungary

72,505 (applicants to December 2015)[15]

23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada 62,000+ (applicants to Feb 2017)
43,000+ (approved as of Feb 2017)
40,081 (resettled as of Feb 2017)[16][17]
23px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png Croatia 55,000 (estimated as of September 2015)[18]
386 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece 54,574 (estimated in country May 2016)[19]

5,615 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Austria 45,827 (applicants to April 2017)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Algeria.svg.png Algeria 43,000 (estimated as of November 2015)
5,721 (registered as of November 2015)[20]
23px-Flag_of_Qatar.svg.png Qatar 40,000 (estimated overstays 2015)[8]
42 (registered)[8]
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands 31,963 (applicants to July 2016)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Libya.svg.png Libya 26,672 (registered as of December 2015)[21]
23px-Flag_of_Armenia.svg.png Armenia 20,000 (estimated as of October 2016)[22]
20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png Denmark 19,433 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png Bulgaria 17,527 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 16,218 (resettled by November 2016)[23]
23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium 16,986 (applicants to July 2016)[15]
21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png Norway 13,993 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Singapore.svg.png Singapore 13,856 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png  Switzerland 12,931 (applicants to July 2016)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png Serbia (incl. Kosovo) 11,831 (applicants to February 2016)[15]
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 11,694 (applicants to July 2016)[15]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom 9,467 (applicants to July 2016)[15]
5,102 (resettled as of August 2015)[24]
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil 9,000 (approved)[25]
2,097 (as of November 2015)[26]
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain 8,365 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia 7,096 (overstays in residence to April 2016)[27]
23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia 6,000 (resettled to Jan 2017)[28]
23px-Flag_of_Malaysia.svg.png Malaysia 5,000 (estimated in August 2015)[citation needed]
23px-Flag_of_Tunisia.svg.png Tunisia 4,000 (September 2015)[29]
23px-Flag_of_Cyprus.svg.png Cyprus 3,527 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Bahrain.svg.png Bahrain 3,500 (estimated June 2015)[8]
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Argentina 3,000 (approved)[30]
23px-Flag_of_Montenegro.svg.png Montenegro 2,975 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 2,538 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png Romania 2,525 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Macedonia.svg.png Macedonia 2,150 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Malta.svg.png Malta 1,222 (applicants to December 2015)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Somalia.svg.png Somalia 1,312 (as of January 2016)
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland 1,127 (as of December 2015)[15]
Language: Arabic, Kurdish, Turkish, Armenian, Aramaic
Religion: Sunni Islam, Christianity, Shia Islam, Yazidism, Druze

Edited by kactus

10 minutes ago, Goddess said:

i never said that.  I just am saying that they cannot be blaming the West 100%.

I agree the West should stay out much more than they have.  But I also feel that some of the "bungles" attributed to the West were not so much a result of bad intentions on the part of the West, as they just grossly underestimated the extent of religious fanaticism in those countries.

I agree that mutual misunderstanding is a factor.  One small example is that Egyptians hate Obama/Clinton because when they rioted against Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood, the official word out of Washington was to give the democratically elected government a chance.  When Sisi organized the coup, the West condemned that. Many Egyptians viewed that as the West's desire to keep them oppressed under a theocracy that was controlled by the US. Were they right?   Or was Obama simply trying to support democracy in the region?  

16 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

What is her call to action ?

Did you read the article? Her call to action has been the need to reform Islam, to aid reformers, to call out the 'medina' Muslims. It is a call for progressives to abandon their unthinking support for Islam and their attacks on those who criticize it, attacks even on reformers who are Muslims.

34 minutes ago, dialamah said:

So...when the Communists set their eyes on Iran as the USSR's latest R...the 'West' should have allowed the theft of property and handed it all over to Russia.

Excellent idea...for a Communist.

1 minute ago, Argus said:

Did you read the article? Her call to action has been the need to reform Islam, to aid reformers, to call out the 'medina' Muslims. It is a call for progressives to abandon their unthinking support for Islam and their attacks on those who criticize it, attacks even on reformers who are Muslims.

Yes, that's correct.  So there IS a 'reformed Islam' movement, there is a point to reform, and that is done through western platforms.  And  so - YES - "the gist of her article seems to be about defeating the culture that uses the book as justification."  

You say "It says no such thing." but I don't see how.  You're really detailing what I said in my post.