What improvements would you like to see in this discussion forum?

Greg

Those are definitely pretty kooky... at least they just create a topic that people can generally ignore.

Why aren't the Mods moderating this site?

Because this stuff is no more kooky than the garbage some of our resident "right-wingers" post here... so if they draw the line in the sand, you can probably expect a couple long-time MLW members to be swept up in the clean up. Which would be fine by me...

I could say the same of the garbage some of our resident 'left wingers' post here.

I'm not suggesting that long time MLW residents be swept up or even close, just the recent spate of new posters all posting about the same conspiracy theory and all of them giving the same links. The very least the mods could do is to put them all in one area.. you know one big conspiracy theory thread where they can all talk to each other and give each the same links each time.

There is a fine line between discouraging new members from trolls/spam. I get these new members are mostly here because of the election but who knows who will stick around and really who cares. If they are providing topics for honest discussion then that's ok.

I can see they don't post on other topics but neither do I nor many other members. So what.

• Forum Admin

A lot of forums require new members to have a certain number of posts before starting new topics. It's a good idea, but can sometimes be abused by people crapping up the place to get to the cap so they can start their topic.

As does this one:

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/forum-3/announcement-11-new-members-please-read/

New members must post ONE reply in an existing thread before posting a new topic.

I'm open to raising this limit, but I hesitant because I don't want to discourage participation too much.

As does this one:

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/forum-3/announcement-11-new-members-please-read/

New members must post ONE reply in an existing thread before posting a new topic.

I'm open to raising this limit, but I hesitant because I don't want to discourage participation too much.

I do not believe those would be reasons that would discourage people from participating. Many here know what would cause people to participate, but every time I bring it up (which others will agree) it does not seem to get addressed. This and another thread relating to how to better this forum are over a year old. No progress has been made since then, because the issues that DO discourage posters have not been addressed.

As does this one:

I don't think that would discourage a real member from participation. Most people will not start a fresh topic when they've just become members of a site. They'll read and participate in some of the existing threads for a while first. Those who want to start a fresh topic right away are very likely to be either spammers or kooks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would like to see the ability for members to toggle in and out of alternate displays of the forum.

Posts deleted or edited would be viewable to all members at the push of a button. However, discussion in the "Edited/Deleted" display would not be possible.

I would like to see the ability for members to toggle in and out of alternate displays of the forum.

Posts deleted or edited would be viewable to all members at the push of a button. However, discussion in the "Edited/Deleted" display would not be possible.

I'm assuming you just mean those posts that you've edited/deleted?

If you allow members to view edited or deleted posts, why would you bother to edit or delete them in the first place. This makes no sense to me.

If a post was deleted because it was insulting why would you want to leave it up so people could view it anyway? Wouldn't that tempt the person who was insulted to insult the other person back? Maybe we could just have a free for all forum where people could call each other whatever names they wanted without moderator interference.

... Maybe we could just have a free for all forum where people could call each other whatever names they wanted without moderator interference.

Hey, I like that idea, except it should be used to help fund web site hosting services. Insults and name calling would cost a sliding service charge based on a posted rate chart. Each year we could vote on the funniest insults.

If a post was deleted because it was insulting why would you want to leave it up so people could view it anyway? Wouldn't that tempt the person who was insulted to insult the other person back? Maybe we could just have a free for all forum where people could call each other whatever names they wanted without moderator interference.

Especially if that's your stock and trade, generally.

If you allow members to view edited or deleted posts, why would you bother to edit or delete them in the first place. This makes no sense to me.

If you re-edit a post after a moderator has edited or deleted them then the moderator will act on that.

Especially if that's your stock and trade, generally.

Well, you'd know about that.

Enough tit-for-tat thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Automated Moderation

The Report button would demand that the reporter identifies the infraction from a drop-down list. The reporter would be required to identify a recommended intervention. The reporter would type-out a brief explanation in defense of the report.

After a post has been reported, the membership would be alerted --- say, with a red light appearing in the corner of the post --- that the post has been reported. The membership would be invited to contribute an opinion. The software would tabulate a recommended intervention with some semblance of democracy.

Moderators would have the freedom to follow the automated intervention or to over-ride it.

Text-to-Voice and Voice-to-Text

I want to see a plugin that facilitates text-to-voice and voice-to-text conversion in the forum.

Folks could surf blind by listening and tabbing through the forums. Folks could read their response into their favorite electronic device and the software would convert their voice to text. The post would have to be reviewed by the poster before submitting.

Folks could assign digitized voices to members of the forum by selecting from a bank of cartoony voices or by importing their own. The option to hear the original vocal submission would be available too at the discretion of whoever submitted the post.

Auto-Animation

I would like to see an animation plugin that would allow folks to create their own avatars for fellow members. The plugin would take the Text-to-Voice and Voice-to-Text engine as the basis for animating speech and facial expressions of the custom avatars. Lurkers would have the option to watch an animated cartoon of the discussions.

Members would have the option to add invisible place-markers in the their posts which would instruct the animation engine to include facial expressions, gestures and actions. Actions would be customizable by members too.