What improvements would you like to see in this discussion forum?

Greg

There's no one here since Mr.Canada got banned that falls into that definition of racist, and yet people bandy about accusations of racism all the time. Still not sure why wanting to call people racists is so important to some posters here. How does calling people racists "improve this discussion forum"?

How does calling anyone crazy leftists or whatever improve the discussion and yet they don't get suspended.

Racist is a specific term. Let's bring it out in the open, shed some light on it instead of worrying about being suspended.

Nazi is a specific term too. Is the forum helped by discussing it constantly and trying to figure out who can and cannot be called a Nazi? How about a fascist? Commie?

Discuss ideas, not labels.

If someone says "I think the immigration rate is too high, we should reduce immigration from country x because data shows people from country x don't perform well economically", rather than responding with "You racist!", try responding with an explanation of why you think immigration is beneficial and why it doesn't make sense to reduce immigration from the country in question or from specific countries in general.

We can all sit around calling each other racists and commies all day, but that's not a particularly engaging or insightful discussion.

Nazi is a specific term too. Is the forum helped by discussing it constantly and trying to figure out who can and cannot be called a Nazi? How about a fascist? Commie?

Discuss ideas, not labels.

If someone says "I think the immigration rate is too high, we should reduce immigration from country x because data shows people from country x don't perform well economically", rather than responding with "You racist!", try responding with an explanation of why you think immigration is beneficial and why it doesn't make sense to reduce immigration from the country in question or from specific countries in general.

We can all sit around calling each other racists and commies all day, but that's not a particularly engaging or insightful discussion.

Why are you so determined to ban 'racist'?

Why are you so determined to ban 'racist'?

I don't support "banning" anything. I fully support free speech. If you want to sit around calling people racists rather than saying anything intelligent, that's your call. I'm merely pointing out that it's not a particularly high level of debate.

I don't support "banning" anything. I fully support free speech. If you want to sit around calling people racists rather than saying anything intelligent, that's your call. I'm merely pointing out that it's not a particularly high level of debate.

You think calling someone out as racist or xenophobic is not intelligent? That to me is a great starting point to a debate.

Yes, I think throwing labels around is not intelligent. If you disagree with an argument, dispute it on its merits as I said in my example above.

No one can hide behind those labels. They need to be brought out to have the light expose them.

Why are you so afraid of having those labels applied?

There's no one here since Mr.Canada got banned that falls into that definition of racist

The Liberal judicial appointments thread is entirely based on racism. The thread is literally claiming that these judges can't possibly be the most qualified because they're not white. Are you seriously having trouble seeing that as racist crap?

The Liberal judicial appointments thread is entirely based on racism. The thread is literally claiming that these judges can't possibly be the most qualified because they're not white. Are you seriously having trouble seeing that as racist crap?

No, you are wrong, that's not what he said. Your post is a perfect example of crying "racism" when you have nothing else.

Name one poster that hasn't already been banned who would put that up as their argument.

What argument?

I am struggling to see why anybody would even post "You are a racist!" It is not interesting statement any more than "Yeah but you are a vegetarian!" would be.

Let's face it. The term 'racist' is so normalized now that many people identify as being racist with no problem at all. Let's remember what 'racism' means. It's not a bad word that should be banned from a thread when racism rears itself.

I agree.

However, "Who is a racist? and Why?" is rarely the topic of any thread.

Some of you talk past eachother by conflating the positive and the normative connotations of the term. This happens a lot but since the term "racist" is taken with offense, we suggest that folks avoid derailing a thread.

That's nonsensical. This forum is about truthful discussion. If someone says something that meets the textbook definition of racism, would you rather we all just beat around the bush?

So I can call someone a moron, and it's okay, because I can use quotes from their moronic opinions to support my point? What about asshole? Can I use examples of where they've been an asshole if I call them an asshole?

You can challenge them all you want, and should. Challenging them does not consist of proclaiming "you're a racist!" That is not an intelligent or meaningful challenge.

The problem is that most of those who are desperate to use such insults aren't actually capable of engaging in intelligent and meaningful discussion.

I don't get the fascination that some people on this forum have with finding acceptable ways to call someone a racist. Is it really that important to you to call people racists?

Many on the Left are filled with righteous indignation and a sense of moral superiority. How can they demonstrate that superiority to others unless they get to tell those others how morally inferior they are?

The term racist has nothing to do with insults

Anyone who uses the word 'racist' is intending to belittle a person and imply their argument is not worth considering because it is 'racist'. It is childish tactic that simply shows that the person using the word does not wish to or is unable to understand nuanced arguments. Edited by TimG

Exactly my point. If someone can be called an idiot progressive or whatever the flavour of the month is, why hide from a label 'racist'.

Except you can't call someone an idiot. If you could I'd be using it here every day.

I agree. Labelling someone as racist is not derogatory. It's simply applying a definition to their posts.

Hey, I'm okay with you calling me names all you want as long as I get to return the favour.

That presupposes an individual is actually capable of replying with any degree of knowledge, evidence or intelligence, of course. And mostly, those who argue against the above... aren't.