Is U.S. democratic system spinning out of control?

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

The demographics of this country are being changed faster that you can say "Pixie-Dust". It's being done on purpose. That I do not like.

Canada has been changed by the massive influx of Chinese- and Indo-Canadians. That's a fact.

Thirty years ago buying real estate was a reality for young couples, and nuclear families used to be able to afford their own home.

Now it's almost impossible for young people to buy, and the single family dwellings are becoming a thing of the past: multiple families have to share a home if they want to live in the major urban centers.

Eg, a starter home in Coquitlam was about $195K in 1995 and a plumber made about $70k. Approx 3 years of the gross wage to buy a home.

A starter home there is now $1M there, and a plumber makes about $130k. Approx 7-8 years of the gross wage to buy a home.

Interest rates don't make it any easier. The cost to borrow is staggering now. 

It's just a fact that the multi-family home thing is Asian in nature, and Canada has changed to their way, not the opposite. 

Not everyone has to like that.

Not everyone has to like the fact that we, as probably the most inclusive society in the world, are constantly denigrated by our PM while he pretends that other cultures tower over us in that regard. 

I'm quite comfortable with immigrants, I'm surrounded by them here in Langley and there's really nothing to tell them apart from nth-gen Canadians in terms of politeness and crime, but the logistics of living in this country have changed as a result of mass immigration (and Lib gov't policies). 

4 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

Canada has been changed by the massive influx of Chinese- and Indo-Canadians. That's a fact.

Thirty years ago buying real estate was a reality for young couples, and nuclear families used to be able to afford their own home.

Now it's almost impossible for young people to buy, and the single family dwellings are becoming a thing of the past: multiple families have to share a home if they want to live in the major urban centers.

Eg, a starter home in Coquitlam was about $195K in 1995 and a plumber made about $70k. Approx 3 years of the gross wage to buy a home.

A starter home there is now $1M there, and a plumber makes about $130k. Approx 7-8 years of the gross wage to buy a home.

Interest rates don't make it any easier. The cost to borrow is staggering now. 

It's just a fact that the multi-family home thing is Asian in nature, and Canada has changed to their way, not the opposite. 

Not everyone has to like that.

Not everyone has to like the fact that we, as probably the most inclusive society in the world, are constantly denigrated by our PM while he pretends that other cultures tower over us in that regard. 

I'm quite comfortable with immigrants, I'm surrounded by them here in Langley and there's really nothing to tell them apart from nth-gen Canadians in terms of politeness and crime, but the logistics of living in this country have changed as a result of mass immigration (and Lib gov't policies). 

True. Yet it was not necessary. 

57 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

So is that a yes to my question which was: Your idea of Canada and “real Canadian towns” doesn’t include people of Indian descent?

It includes real ans reasonable immigration...among other real and reasonable things.

56 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

Immigration is necessary because we have a seriously ageing population and the boomers will all be dead soon and the population will crash. Immigration isn’t the problem, populations always grow. 

Well here's a cure for that. But it means growing up and having a family. Something interestingly enough, these "refugees" seem to understand and you effeminate saps don't.

On 10/5/2023 at 11:44 AM, WestCanMan said:

Now it's almost impossible for young people to buy, and the single family dwellings are becoming a thing of the past:

That's almost entirely due to the 1% reducing the pace of wage increases and the share of capital gains our fathers and grandfather's used to enjoy.

This widening of the wealth gap is something chuds used to celebrate. Now look at you, crying like some poor woketard.

I never thought I'd live to see the day. Better late than never? No. There's just too much of that going around now - we've solidly boxed ourselves in on every side and there's no way out.

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2023 at 1:41 PM, BeaverFever said:

It “spun out of control” a long time ago, what are witnessing now is just more of the dominoes toppling as was predicted decades ago.

Disagree.

America survived a civil war. Its Constitution still exists and is respected.

Neither we Canadians nor the French can say the same. The British?

Edited by August1991

• Britain had a civil war from 1642-51. A king lost his head.  It has an uncodified constitution.

The Supreme Court of the United Kingdomrecognises that there are constitutional principles, including parliamentary sovereignty, the rule of law, democracy, and upholding international law.[3]

Edited by Aristides

29 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Disagree.

Is the Constitution respected? I would maintain erosion of that respect is a factor in the present chaos. As well as win at all costs partisanship that doesn't really respect democracy and resulted in January 6.

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

That's almost entirely due to the 1% reducing the pace of wage increases and the share of capital gains our fathers and grandfather's used to enjoy.

This widening of the wealth gap is something chuds used to celebrate. Now look at you, crying like some poor woketard.

I never thought I'd live to see the day. Better late than never? No. There's just too much of that going around now - we've solidly boxed ourselves in on every side and there's no way out.

Marx did not provide a viable system of government in his writings, however he did predict that from time to time capitalism would run out of ways to make profits and society would collapse ... Cyclically.

Today we have corporations and wealthy individuals bleeding working people for 50% of their income to pay rent. The two main parties are grasping for ways to keep that status quo going.

Conservatism used to mean working towards sustainable growth, while reinforcing our institutions such as education and justice.  Today we have the new Chud Nation thriving on ignorance, disparaging science and academia, and pushing punishment instead of Justice.

Oh well ... I'm sure it'll be okay right ?

Great post eyeball..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eyeball said:

There's just too much of that going around now - we've solidly boxed ourselves in on every side and there's no way out.

And that is the perception, emanation that spreads in the Western world. The old prosperity model has run out of steam. New directions and models are needed desperately but the political, administration system does not have incentives and rewards for new, quite on the contrary it always rewards mediocrity and the least meaningful action. The gap between the resolve and energy needed to start on a new direction and tiny, infinitesimal steps that are possible. We may not find a good answer in this setting.

And then, the binary system exacerbates it even further as each side of the duet is looking to hang as much as possible on the opponent while promising everything impossible only to get to the chair. They cannot and not really interested in the solutions for the society. Works well as it is (for them) so why fixing? And the next cycle, and on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, August1991 said:

Disagree.

Having a civil war is not an indicator of success. Besides I was mostly referring to America’s present-day problems   USA was designed for an 18th century agricultural society by a small group of wealthy elite old white men, many of whom were slave owners. It is completely dysfunctional in the 21st century. 

Also the constitution is not respected, it is just another thing for politicians and their invisible masters to game through their corrupt puppets like Clarence Thomas. 

Edited by BeaverFever
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Marx did not provide a viable system of government in his writings, however he did predict that from time to time capitalism would run out of ways to make profits and society would collapse

Capitalism wasn't running out of ways to make profits in the 60's when all this greediness started steamrolling, it is now perhaps because of the sustainability issues starting to pile up around environmental degradation.  But all that will do is speed us towards an inevitable clash.

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Today we have the new Chud Nation thriving on ignorance, disparaging science and academia, and pushing punishment instead of Justice.

Not to mention Tiff Macklem and other central bankers making clucking sounds over wage increases.  These people should be the first ones we line up in front of the guillotines.

Maybe something like the Altar of Reevaluation in the movie Apocalypto would be more appropriate.

An Unflinchingly Violent Epic Makes a Sacrifice at the Altar of Reevaluation

Edited by eyeball

45 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Capitalism wasn't running out of ways to make profits in the 60's when all this greediness started steamrolling, it is now perhaps because of the sustainability issues starting to pile up around environmental degradation.  But all that will do is speed us towards an inevitable clash.

Not to mention Tiff Macklem and other central bankers making clucking sounds over wage increases.  These people should be the first ones we line up in front of the guillotines.

Maybe something like the Altar of Reevaluation in the movie Apocalypto would be more appropriate.

An Unflinchingly Violent Epic Makes a Sacrifice at the Altar of Reevaluation

Well I AM a conservative after all... so I am not sure I can support all this guillotine talk...

But yeah, in the 1960s they were absolutely running out of ways to make money. You see everybody who had been decimated during world war II was back producing... Almost this thing called competition that capitalists actually hate.

7 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Marx did not provide a viable system of government in his writings, however he did predict that from time to time capitalism would run out of ways to make profits and society would collapse ... Cyclically.

You said the inside part out loud but that's ok, your admiration of Karl Marx and his predictions wasn't the least bit surprising

24 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well I AM a conservative after all

Nice to meet you, conservative, I'm the Dalai Lama. 

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well I AM a conservative after all... so I am not sure I can support all this guillotine talk...

I think it's more an inevitability.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

But yeah, in the 1960s they were absolutely running out of ways to make money. You see everybody who had been decimated during world war II was back producing... Almost this thing called competition that capitalists actually hate.

Excuse me for not feeling too sympathetic.

Edited by eyeball

On 10/6/2023 at 9:59 PM, Aristides said:
  • Britain had a civil war from 1642-51. A king lost his head.  It has an uncodified constitution.

I believe a lot of British kings have lost their heads over the years.

It seems at one time there were 7 kingdoms which were destroyed due to constant warring between them.

IINM, Game of Thrones is a fictional account of that period.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:07 PM, Aristides said:

Is the Constitution respected? I would maintain erosion of that respect is a factor in the present chaos. As well as win at all costs partisanship that doesn't really respect democracy and resulted in January 6.

We've recently had a POTUS who prided himself on circumventing the Constitution for his own power and glorification.

He outright stated it should be "terminated."

34 minutes ago, robosmith said:

I believe a lot of British kings have lost their heads over the years.

It seems at one time there were 7 kingdoms which were destroyed due to constant warring between them.

Only one has been tried and executed. Charles I in 1649. 

The English Civil War was between the divine right of kings and the supremacy of Parliament. Parliament won and that hasn't changed even though the monarchy was restored. The English decided they wanted a parliamentary democracy but not a republic.

The last one to die in battle was Richard III in 1485 which ended the Wars of the Roses.

We've recently had a POTUS who prided himself on circumventing the Constitution for his own power and glorification.

He outright stated it should be "terminated."

Trump doesn't believe in anything but Trump.

Edited by Aristides

On 10/9/2023 at 2:58 PM, robosmith said:

He outright stated it should be "terminated."

On 10/9/2023 at 3:27 PM, Aristides said:

Trump doesn't believe in anything but Trump.

Dang, this thread took an abrupt turn to leftard echo chamber.