CRTC considering banning Fox News from Canadian cable packages

The OP title is somewhat misleading. 

A group has petitioned the CRTC to ban Fox, but it has not made a decision. It has allowed for consultation on the matter. 

I guess if it can be proven that Fox espouses hate speech, they may have a case. 

The political spectrum really is a circle. The fringes of just want to ban the other side. 

I don't watch Fox, I sometimes listen on Satellite Radio when something relevant in US politics is happening. A majority of the programming resembles normal news, but the Talking heads in Primetime delve into much more controversial territory. 

Edited by Boges
  • Like 2

"LGBTQ rights group asked the CRTC to ban Fox News over 'false and horrifying claims' made by host Tucker Carlson regarding transgender individuals" is far from CRTC considering LOL

The CRTC gets complaints and petitions every day ranging from commercials too loud to swearing on shows.

A National Post slow news day report LOL

3 minutes ago, herbie said:

Boges is correct. A letter from some whiney little old lady or offended group does not mean the regulatory body is 'considering'.

Not that tey shouldn't consider changing it to a premium channel you have to pay for if you're stupid enough to.

You pay for the CBC. Bet you watch that.

• Like 1

I don't pay. The gov't does. The money they tax me isn't mine anymore just like the money they dock off your paycheque isn't your anymore.

And I DO watch it sometimes. Less so since they flogged hockey and football off to some pay channel. Whenever I want to see some consumer show, nature show, more in depth news report or anything relevant to Canada, BC or my local area.

We have all those other networks that wouldn't show that as it's not in the korporate interest.

7 minutes ago, herbie said:

No an education did.

Ahhh yes - your facebook degree :) I forgot :)

7 minutes ago, herbie said:

Unlike the mindless drones that prefer nothing but TV shows about shooting people and absolutely hate anything that involves history, science or 'learning anything'.

CBC probably taught you that's what other people are like. It's not true. Sorry kiddo.

8 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Most people use smart TVs and apps like Netflix.

I don't know a person who still buys cable TV.

I buy cable, actually fibre optic because I get high speed internet, television, and home telephone service.  It comes as a package from Telus.  You can't get just internet.  You have to take the whole home services package.  Smart TVs won't work without cable anyway.   Smart TVs work off a cable with a router in your house.

How do you get smart TV without an internet connection on a cable?  Not sure if you know how it works.   Almost everyone has to pay for a cable connection.   You also need a cable for wifi if you want to use a laptop or desk computer on the internet.  The only other way you could get Wifi is if you had a Satellite dish and got your TV and internet from a satellite which is very expensive and not necessarily high speed either.

Edited by blackbird

21 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Whether you use an app like Netflix on a Smart TV, you still need cable service into your home with a wireless router or router with a cable connected to the TV.  Always need a cable.

If you live in an apartment building, you still must use Wifi to connect to a router somewhere close by in the building for your Smart TV.    All wireless routers are connected to the telephone company via a cable.   You pay for the service either yourself or added to your rent.

To sum it up, everyone gets their internet service via a cable that runs from the telephone exchange to everyone's home.  It is connected to a router which has Wifi.  You can then use your smart phone, laptop computer, or smart tv to connect via the wireless router in your home.  That's how it works with telephone companies.  Cablevision companies also use cables, which probably are connected to the local telephone company equipment in the telephone exchange.  

Edited by blackbird

26 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

So you subscribe and buy apps and netfilx instead of cable??

Pot calling kettle? LOL

32 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

I was not completely correct on that.   I just read part of an article where it says you can use your smart phone without an internet connection or cable to cast a video to a smart tv.  But it says it is limited on what you can watch or do.  I have not tried that as I don't have a Smart phone or a Smart TV.  You could watch some things on a Smart TV that way but it is not as convenient or nearly as useful as just watching programs on the tv directly from a router and cable connection.  You would be greatly limited I think.  Television also uses a lot of bandwidth on your Smart phone connection and you would be using a cell phone tower.  If you have a large monthly bandwidth or unlimited bandwidth, you could watch some things that way.  If you have a small bandwidth, television would eat it up because it uses a lot of bandwidth to watch a program on video/television.

Can You Use a Smart TV Without the Internet? (hometoys.com)

Edited by blackbird

7 hours ago, CdnFox said:

ISn't that sort of what 'considering' means?  I didn't think it was terribly misleading

It's not misleading at all lol.

The title in the Nat Post says that, and then there's this:

The CRTC has opened a public consultation on a complaint from an LGBTQ rights group asking the broadcast regulator to ban Fox News from cable packages in Canada.

This is in the works now. They're absolutely "considering it". 

Whether the above quote means that they're actually considering valuing the public's opinion, or if it's just to lend the appearance of democratic process to this shitshow, it's still moving fwd in a very real way.

My guess is that they want some leftard screamers to come and shout down all rational arguments, while providing them with some emotionally charged video, which the CBC/CTV propagandists will use to make their "case". 

There's a very real chance that this wasn't prompted by LGBTQ Canadians, it could be coming from the bottom of the Democrat sewer. AOC was all about this just a few days ago. 

It could be that the Demmies want Canada to slap a "FOX IS VILE HATE FILTH" label on them in order to provide the basis of an argument for shutting down Fox.

Remember, we're dealing with fascists here now. The Dems and Libs really want control over everything and everyone in the media, and Fox and Rebel are thorns in their side. Even if this BS goes away, another "great reason" for eliminating dissenting opinions will come along. 

13 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Only the NP headline says the CRTC is "considering", the CRTC has said nothing of the sort.

The CRTC has opened a public consultation on a complaint from an LGBTQ rights group asking the broadcast regulator to ban Fox News from cable packages in Canada.

Is the above quote not in the version of the Nat Post that you see online?

Edited by WestCanMan