CRTC considering banning Fox News from Canadian cable packages

10 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

yeah, but the Conservatives need the NDP to split the left

the Liberal strategy to prevent that is simply to adopt all the NDP policies

People think that but in reality that doesn't hold water.

The supposition is that ndp and liberal voters are basically interchangeable. Just slightly different places on teh political spectrum but otherwise...

But there is MUCH data to suggest that is not true.

If the ndp did not exist  then the vote would likely bleed to the green and to the CPC as much as the libs.  The libs can sometimes 'Borrow" voters from the ndp to "hold off" the evil cpc and that narrative sometimes works but OFTEN it does not.

NDP voters are not just liberals with extra leftie sauce. They don't really 'split' that vote. They are two very different votes.

10 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

People think that but in reality that doesn't hold water.

The supposition is that ndp and liberal voters are basically interchangeable. Just slightly different places on teh political spectrum but otherwise...

But there is MUCH data to suggest that is not true.

If the ndp did not exist  then the vote would likely bleed to the green and to the CPC as much as the libs.  The libs can sometimes 'Borrow" voters from the ndp to "hold off" the evil cpc and that narrative sometimes works but OFTEN it does not.

NDP voters are not just liberals with extra leftie sauce. They don't really 'split' that vote. They are two very different votes.

I honestly hope you are right

I mean, I remember when Brian Mulroney won in a landslide

that was a happy day

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I honestly hope you are right

I mean, I remember when Brian Mulroney won in a landslide

that was a happy day

Yep - last guy to win with more than 50 percent of the vote as i recall - a TRUE majority.

I don't know what the ndp voters will do this time. I don't think justin is going to be able to win them over. But i think a lot are mad at the ndp.  Amusingly polling across mutiple polls says that a number of them are moving to the CPC right now. They don't see the left solving the problems of inflation and high home prices so they're willing to give the right a try at it. Especially the kids. Others might just decide to stay home.

I guess we'll see, the next election is a long way off (theoretically) and much can change, but for now the ndp support doesn't seem to be collapsing in favour of the libs.

Just now, CdnFox said:

Yep - last guy to win with more than 50 percent of the vote as i recall - a TRUE majority.

after 16 years of Pierre Trudeau, things were honestly in a shambles

double digit inflation, double digit unemployment, 20% interest rates

even if your father had a good job, which my father did

after he paid the interest on the mortgage, we were poor by today's standards

something had to give

5 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

after 16 years of Pierre Trudeau, things were honestly in a shambles

double digit inflation, double digit unemployment, 20% interest rates

even if your father had a good job, which my father did

after he paid the interest on the mortgage, we were poor by today's standards

something had to give

The funny thing is that he was hated for what actually fixed the problems.

The free trade deal which he negotiated was instrumental in fixing our books. Our trade with the us jumped 10 fold in our favour.  But at the time people HATED it - chretien ran on scrapping it.

The GST paid down a lot of the deficit and eliminated old hidden taxes that held our industries back. it was pivotal in solving the problem and bringing inflation back under control as a consumption tax. But again - people hated it and chretien ran on getting rid of it.

I notice we still have both ;)

So while history might look at him fondly for what he did to get our finances back on track, he was certainly not popular for it in the day.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Funny enough - it wasn't that long ago that the ndp WAS actually relevant even in majority gov'ts.

They were great at exposing bullcrap on BOTH the liberal and conservative gov'ts of the day, raising social issues that really did need discussion, etc. They were often called the parliaments "Conscience' - they didn't stop you from doing things but they made you think about it.

Thats gone of course.

And they used to be relevant when there was a minority. Very much so.  That's gone of course.

But yeah the did do most of that to themselves with no help.

Jack Layton was in danger of making the NDP very relevant.

IMO, as he neared death, he got more and more real. He struck more of a chord with conservatives. Maybe even some leftists. I know that I personally found him way less of a dolt than any other NDPer I ever saw. 

12 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Jack Layton was in danger of making the NDP very relevant.

IMO, as he neared death, he got more and more real. He struck more of a chord with conservatives. Maybe even some leftists. I know that I personally found him way less of a dolt than any other NDPer I ever saw. 

He was the exception that proved the rule i think.  Had he survived there was a VERY real chance he could have been the first ndp Federal prime minister.  Even people who hated his politics still said they'd have a beer with the guy.  I don' t know  that he ndp will see his like again in our lifetime.

That they would go from someone like that to someone like Jaggers....  i feel like its just such a shame.  We don't have very many good politicians these days.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

I know that I personally found him way less of a dolt than any other NDPer I ever saw. 

I remember meeting him as a teenager with my father

I thought he looked kind of goofy

riding a bicycle in a raincoat with the glasses & moustache

but when he spoke, there was no doubt that he believed in what he stood for

no cynicism at all

I'd take him over Trudeau any day of the week

it's like with the freedom convoy

Jack Layton wouldn't have ran and hid from that

he would have walked out there and talked to the truckers

deescalated the situation, no martial law required

c9f080364be7ba7e07adfb63c7e1_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Dougie93
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Jack Layton wouldn't have ran and hid from that

he would have walked out there and talked to the truckers

deescalated the situation, no martial law required

Those are the exact kind of people he would have talked to. 

He'd be out there 5 - 20 hrs a day trying to win over voters instead of hiding in a bunker somewhere pretending that it was a sea of swastikas and confederate flags.

Lemons->lemonade instead of lemons to "TARARISTS! WITE SUPREMISTS! RASISTS! BIGGITS! SAVE ME MOMMA MARGRIT!"

9 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Those are the exact kind of people he would have talked to.

for sure

Jack was totally at ease with the working man

maybe he couldn't have given them exactly what they were wanting

but at the end of the day, all they wanted was a meeting

Jack would have gone out there and listened to their conerns

probably made some sort of concession in good faith, some compromise

boom, problem solved

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Jack would have gone out there and listened to their conerns

probably made some sort of concession in good faith, some compromise

boom, problem solved

TBH, it's kind of a stretch to even assume that JL would have forced millions of Canadians to take the jab in the first place. If that didn't happen there wouldn't have been a convoy to begin with. 

5 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

TBH, it's kind of a stretch to even assume that JL would have forced millions of Canadians to take the jab in the first place. If that didn't happen there wouldn't have been a convoy to begin with. 

even if he felt the need to impose a mandate

he wouldn't have done it in the same high handed imperious manner

he would have sold it to the workers with some considerable humility

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

He was the exception that proved the rule i think.  Had he survived there was a VERY real chance he could have been the first ndp Federal prime minister.  Even people who hated his politics still said they'd have a beer with the guy.  I don' t know  that he ndp will see his like again in our lifetime.

That they would go from someone like that to someone like Jaggers....  i feel like its just such a shame.  We don't have very many good politicians these days.

He was a joke like all of the others.  The only reason he was ever even relevant was because the Liberals fielded exceptionally bad candidates during his time, with such gems as Dion and then then the farcical Ignatieff run.  He earned anything-but-Harper votes.  

14 hours ago, blackbird said:

What are you saying?  Do you want a Communist tv system?

A cooperative, which to righties is 'communist'.

What are saying here? 

That they did the minimum and served only the most profitable exactly as people believed in 1974 which you righties completely deny they do, in spite of all evidence otherwise.

You sound like you're making a lot of stuff up.  This sound like fiction.  Why would government give money out like that?

Because they DO and have done, like funding the entire fibre infrastructure out to Kitimat and then allowing the telco to drag their feet on even connecting high speed copper to it the entire way west from Prince George. By funding the infrastructure for tiny remote villages to get highspeed with tax dollars and ignoring large towns and last mile solutions.

No, I think the telephone company, at least in B.C. has always owned the telephone lines and cables.  It did not need to buy any cable internet from any other company.   The telephone company provides service to areas that have enough population.   How can the phone company provide high speed internet to remote villages when it costs hundreds of millions of dollars to run cables into remote areas and build infrastructure?   That has always been the problem. 

Telus DID buy up cable companies, look up Mascon. Which allows them to meet CRTC specs without running fibre and competing. It DID buy up WISPs who already provided microwave Internet links that do not cost anywhere near copper/fibre 'plant'. The telcos already had a chain of microwave sites that could have been upgraded and used for a minimal cost, and should have been used for redundancy. The entire north central BC has lost all connectivity several times because of simple traffic accidents.

The Telcos are also promoting their "hubs" for remote service which are merely units that access the cell phone network, exactly like you could do by turning on Perxonal Hotspot on your phone. But they are charging premium prices, limiting data and bandwidth and nopt revealing true costs and drawbacks to users.

Why would you want to pay for a handful of people in some remote village to have high speed internet?  But you will be paying if the lefties and NDP have their way.

You already DID, have paid and are paying for that. Under Harper, Chretien, Trudeau, Gordon Campbell and Glen Clark policies. We are paying for it and the Telcos are profiting from it.

So is that an improvement since privatization and deregulation happened? That you pay more than you ever did before to them, pay again with tax dollars to build the infrastructure for private companies to reap all the profits? And see competition that's all within $1 of each other's plan and advertising like UNLIMITED (20Gb limit in small type the very next line...)?

That's not the capitalism you glorify, it the capitalism we've got!

And I don't care if you don't believe me, get off your butt and come see. You'll pass a billboard telling you we've got 31 TV stations and 10 FM radio stations, all you need is an antenna.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herbie said:

That's not the capitalism you glorify, it the capitalism we've got!

I don't think you really know as much as you claim.  The bottom line is Capitalism means free enterprise and it has proven far better than Communism.   I have heard how it worked in the former Soviet Union.  The telephone system was run by the Soviet government.  The result was the telephone system was very antiquated and decades behind the rest of the world.  When a small town somewhere in the USSR needed some parts to keep their equipment working, they had to wait ages for the parts to arrive because of the Communist system bureaucracy.  That's what happens when government runs private enterprise or tries to provide the service that companies should be providing. 

You trust government, but we see how that works in many ways now in Canada.   Vast shortage of housing because of governmen   t red tape, fees, taxes, regulations and controlling and interference in everything.  Vast numbers of immigrants so there is not enough housing for everyone.  Carbon taxes to lower everyone's standard of living.  Health care failing because of the socialized system or government control. 

You can't have it both ways.  Either government runs it and does a bad job or private enterprise runs it and does much better. 

You can't provide high speed internet to every remote village without vast costs for infrastructure.  That doesn't make sense to provide service for 50 or 100 people who are sitting on their butts unemployed in some reserve either.   

They should get out, get educated and get a job like everyone else instead of sitting on their butts demanding high speed internet.

3 hours ago, Moonbox said:

He was a joke like all of the others.  The only reason he was ever even relevant was because the Liberals fielded exceptionally bad candidates during his time, with such gems as Dion and then then the farcical Ignatieff run.  He earned anything-but-Harper votes.  

Sure kid :) 

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

I have heard how it worked in the former Soviet Union. 

Yes you heard. I have relatives who experienced it. And never have I claimed the Soviet system was in anyway superior to ours.

Because unlike in the Soviet system I am free to point out the flaws in our system that need to be addressed. As are you, should you ever choose to acknowledge that they exist.

I'm merely suggesting a return to the days when if a public need existed and companies couldn't pay their own way to provide it, we do so with Crown Corporations.

8 minutes ago, herbie said:

Yes you heard. I have relatives who experienced it. And never have I claimed the Soviet system was in anyway superior to ours.

Because unlike in the Soviet system I am free to point out the flaws in our system that need to be addressed. As are you, should you ever choose to acknowledge that they exist.

I'm merely suggesting a return to the days when if a public need existed and companies couldn't pay their own way to provide it, we do so with Crown Corporations.

ahhhh - so communism works now because you fixed it :)

LOLOLOL  -  well ,we can expect nothing less from a  man who can triple the value of his home with his credit card and a few renos :) ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Jack Layton was a political opportunist.

NDPers in power change once they are in.

Look at Bob Rae. Ontario NDP leader, Ontario Premier, Federal NDP and then became Liberal then Liberal leader then Liberal PM.

NDP cannot be trusted.

• Like 1

So the Liberals are using taxpayer money to fund fake charities that have a radical left, anti-free speech agenda. This of course should be an ethics violation. The discriminatory transhumanist “Egale” organization is mostly funded by our tax dollars to sway organizations and the general public to support radical left ideology and consolidate Liberal government power:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/egale-the-liberal-funded-charity-trying-to-ban-fox-news/wcm/d7804ef3-a7fa-4641-b390-0f5b8bf55490/amp/

Edited by Zeitgeist