Jump to content

The Queen kicks the bucket


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

What value is there in trying to pin residential schools on one person, especially since those generations are long gone.

Not one person.  I will not put all of the blame on the Queen or anyone else,  but looking at it, they must have been complicit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, cougar said:

Britain still has an elected premier, from a political party, in effect running the country.

The monarchy is more or less decoration; artifacts from the museum.

Britain has an elected Prime Minister.

It is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system as in Canada.

Not like a museum at all. A constitutional monarchy, parliamentary monarchy, or democratic monarchy is a form of monarchy in which the monarch exercises their authority in accordance with a constitution. That is the reason we have a Governor General in Ottawa and Lieutenant Governors in the Provinces.

Edited by ExFlyer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 3:16 PM, Queenmandy85 said:

You would prefer the personifacation of Canada would be a politician like Presidents Biden, Trump

the President is not the personification of the Republic

the President is merely a public employee

Americans do not swear fealty to the POTUS

Americans are only bound to have fealty to the Declaration of Independence

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

the President is not the personification of the Republic

the President is merely a public employee

Americans do not swear fealty to the POTUS

Americans are only bound to have fealty to the Declaration of Independence

I see two options for Canada: maintaining our constitutional monarchy or joining the US, because I don’t know how we’d do a republic.  Something tells me it would have less rights than the US if the same institutional ninnies who brought us the Emergencies Act implemented it.  Mind you, it was the Senate that rescued Canada from dictatorship, not our GG.  Perhaps the Senate should elect the GG from among their ranks.  Trudeau doesn’t have the wisdom.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

The Queen didn't have nominal political power but she had clout. A lot of it. 

I doubt Charles will have as much clout. 

on the first day of the rule of Charles III

I find that I have lost all fealty to the British Crown

the moment I heard that Elizabeth Windsor was dead

it was like a spell being broken

I feel no fealty to Charles Wales whatsoever

in fact, I find him to be repulsive

I can't decide whom I despise more

Justin Trudeau or Charles Wales

I think I just became fully American

I don't feel like a Canadian anymore, without Elizabeth Windsor

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

You have a lot to learn about the history of democracy.  Alfred, who is often regarded as the first King of England, made peace with the Vikings and unified the English, providing a form of representative government.  The Magna Carta established the necessity to consult with representatives in 1215.  After that we see a succession of increasingly democratic moves in Britain that are only rivaled in liberty by some Italian cities that had their own charters.  What’s especially remarkable is that in modern history of the last few hundred years, Britain avoided a painful domestic revolution, civil war, invasion, and has stood up against oppressive foreign powers.  It’s a great legacy.  It’s at the foundation of Canada as a bicultural bilingual country with freedoms that were paralleled only by the US and some smaller European states.  Slavery was outlawed in the British Empire in 1832 though it persisted in the US.

It may not mean much to you, but Elizabeth 2 has been an honourable face for this legacy.  She put duty above personal inclination through many challenging times and worked with 15 PM’s over 70 years in Britain alone.  She has had rotten food thrown at her on parade in New Zealand and talked down someone with a weapon who had broken into her residence.  She never wavered.  Charles 3 may have more weaknesses, but he also has many strengths and I’m sure will take the role seriously.  

You clearly don’t know much about history. So what if Alfred made peace with the Vikings. There were countless civil wars before and after. And at any rate it’s idiotic to suggest that we still need a monarchy today just because some ancient king did something good. I guess Italy should go back under rule by Caesar because ol Julius fathered an empire and did some great things too? His achievements are way greater than Alfreds and he came about 1,000 earlier. 
 

 And the Magna Carta was forced on an unpopular King John by rebellious lords who were fed up with his incompetent and out of touch regime   It was not a gift to the people from a wise benevolent and magnanimous ruler. BTW, when the king refused to honour it it led yo…..you guessed it, civil war! His son is the one who finally conceded. 
 

Amd ONCE AGAIN Regardless of what great deeds you think past rulers did in medieval, renaissance or Victorian times, that has nothing to do with why we need monarchies in the 21st century. Monarchs today are powerless figureheads who do nothing except perform ceremonial duties. Nothing.  

Edited by BeaverFever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, West said:

It's not just the left. 

I'm a conservative and I oppose the monarchy because I'm not about making a family a charity case and don't believe you should get a job because of your mommy. 

How much do you imagine we pay for the monarchy? In the UK it's long established that the monarchy pays for itself multiple times over through increased tourism. In Canada all we pay for is the GG's salary.

More to the point, if you were a conservative you would realize the importance of uniting a people through the history, traditions and institutions of a nation. But you're not really a Canadian conservative. You're a desperate Trumpist who sees himself as an American, worships the man, and despises the country he's in.

In an interview Stephen Harper once had, when he was prime minister, on the subject of the Crown, he said that, “like most Canadians, I was largely indifferent to the Crown.” But then he went on to say that since he held high office, he had come to see its remarkable value. Even more importantly, he added in a somewhat dark aside, “I have looked closely at the alternatives and they scare me.”

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I see two options for Canada: maintaining our constitutional monarchy or joining the US, because I don’t know how we’d do a republic.  Something tells me it would have less rights than the US if the same institutional ninnies who brought us the Emergencies Act implemented it.  Mind you, it was the Senate that rescued Canada from dictatorship, not our GG.  Perhaps the Senate should elect the GG from among their ranks.  Trudeau doesn’t have the wisdom.  

my love for Elizabeth Windsor was pure

my fealty to Her was unto death as necessary

I wept when I heard she was dead

but now that she is gone

there is nothing binding me to Canada anymore

it's just an American Protectorate, run by a bunch of cowards, sycophants, cronies & traitors,  whom I despise

Godspeed, Elizabeth Windsor, to the foot of our Lord

we will all be together again, over the river, under the shade of the trees

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

on the first day of the rule of Charles III

I find that I have lost all fealty to the British Crown

the moment I heard that Elizabeth Windsor was dead

it was like a spell being broken

I feel no fealty to Charles Wales whatsoever

Obviously, then, your oaths are without value. So as an American you can take your place alongside the rest of the Trump herd in voting for a man who also places no value on his oaths.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Obviously, then, your oaths are without value. So as an American you can take your place alongside the rest of the Trump herd in voting for a man who also places no value on his oaths.

the words of Canadians carry no weight

nobody cares what Canadians say, with good reason

Canada is not an idea, Canada stands for nothing, "Canada" is frankly meaningless at this point

Edited by Dougie93
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

my love for Elizabeth Windsor was pure

my fealty to Her was unto death as necessary

I wept when I heard she was dead

but now that she is gone

there is nothing binding me to Canada anymore

it's just an American Protectorate, run by a bunch of cowards, sycophants, cronies & traitors,  whom I despise

Godspeed, Elizabeth Windsor, to the foot of our Lord

we will all be together again, over the river, under the shade of the trees

You do realize that you pledged to British royalty, who just happened to be a woman at the time of your pledge?

Today, you would pledge to British royalty as well and it would be to a man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

You do realize that you pledged to British royalty, who just happened to be a woman at the time of your pledge?

Today, you would pledge to British royalty as well and it would be to a man.

what Canadians are loyal to the British Crown ?

the vast, vast majority of Canadians are de facto Americanized republicans

America has won the war against Canada, nary a shot fired

Americans are not even aware that they have converted Canadians to republicanism, nor do they even care

Canada is a vassal state to America, which America doesn't even want

big Red, White & Blue machine rolls on, without even noticing that we have conquered Canadians

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

How much do you imagine we pay for the monarchy? In the UK it's long established that the monarchy pays for itself multiple times over through increased tourism. In Canada all we pay for is the GG's salary.

More to the point, if you were a conservative you would realize the importance of uniting a people through the history, traditions and institutions of a nation. But you're not really a Canadian conservative. You're a desperate Trumpist who sees himself as an American, worships the man, and despises the country he's in.

In an interview Stephen Harper once had, when he was prime minister, on the subject of the Crown, he said that, “like most Canadians, I was largely indifferent to the Crown.” But then he went on to say that since he held high office, he had come to see its remarkable value. Even more importantly, he added in a somewhat dark aside, “I have looked closely at the alternatives and they scare me.”

I have no problem uniting through history just don't believe I should how to someone because his mommy is someone important. They are mere humans, not God 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 2:41 PM, I am Groot said:

Really? That's the snarky title you choose? That's what's sad. 

but you see, this is who Canadians are

a wholly unserious people

everything is a joke to Canadians

oh, the greatest Canadian Sovereign since Victoria Hanover has died ?

"ha-ha, let's make fun of her"

that's Canadians, the silliest people on earth

South Park has Canada nailed, down to a tee

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cougar said:

And the Canadian Government had no Governor General at the time , no ties to Buckingham and the Monarchy had zero idea what was going on in Canada, or Australia, or any other commonwealth country for that matter?   Very hard to believe.

Canada got Dominion status in 1867. The Indian Act was passed in 1876 and the amendment that made attendance in residential schools was passed in 1894. They were a Canadian invention of Canada politicians.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Aristides said:

It would take a change in the constitution. Hey, you could wind up with someone like Trump as head of state, or Trudeau, or Poilievre, or Lewis. 

Maybe a little sober second thought is in order.


For president or GG, one could have a stringent vetting process for candidates, independent of the PM, to screen out the Payettes of this world, followed by a series of secret ballots of MPs. Some democracy is better than none. It would give us a person based in Canada 24/7 rather than a part-time foreigner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

but you see, this is who Canadians are

a wholly unserious people

everything is a joke to Canadians

oh, the greatest Canadian Sovereign since Victoria Hanover has died ?

"ha-ha, let's make fun of her"

that's Canadians, the silliest people on earth

South Park has Canada nailed, down to a tee

 

Canada has been and can again be a lead power, perhaps the lead middle power.  Canada used to carry weight with all political stripes. Now it’s Disney woke theme park Canada in image, with a far-left oppressive quasi-totalitarian coalition government that’s a de facto one party system.  The population has been trained to fear political opposition and the conservative voice.

I have to admit that I think Charles will have a hard time maintaining Commonwealth monarchies.  He’s not exemplary and will have to rise to the occasion.  However, our system was built through centuries of dialectic refinement and revision.  It has great value.  Again, either we maintain the Canadian constitutional monarchy or we cease to exist as a federal nation state because Confederation would come under massive pressure to devolve.  We’d end up with Balcanization.  Some jurisdictions might join the US.  Some might go it alone. Some might form some kind of loosely affiliated partnership.  Would it be worth tearing down what we have?  If our jurisdictions could join the US, would it be worth it?  Which US, the Red or Blue?  What about the violence and social tensions?  What about our cultural survival in the Melting Pot?  I do think the power and spending of our federal government must be more limited and our rights must be enhanced.  On paper, Americans have more rights, even if we are a de facto safer and more harmonious society, or have been.

The pandemic measures and particularly February 2022 have really made me question the value of our federal government.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

what Canadians are loyal to the British Crown ?

the vast, vast majority of Canadians are de facto Americanized republicans ....

 

It is you that kept and keeps on and on and on  about pledging your allegiance to the Queen and your love for her.

Just pointing out it was a pledge to royalty as opposed to the person and today, it will still be to royalty, but it will be king.

And, the vast majority of Canadians are Canadians, as they do not pledge to royalty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ExFlyer said:

It is you that kept and keeps on and on and on  about pledging your allegiance to the Queen and your love for her.

Just pointing out it was a pledge to royalty as opposed to the person and today, it will still be to royalty, but it will be king.

And, the vast majority of Canadians are Canadians, as they do not pledge to royalty.

my allegiance was to Elizabeth Windsor, personally

now that she is dead, all my allegiances to ridiculous pathetic Canada are absolved

I'm just another immigrant here now, as if I was from Pakistan, or China, or Mexico

i pay my taxes, I obey the laws, I owe no more allegiance than that, to your Post National State

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Canada has been and can again be a lead power, perhaps the lead middle power.  Canada used to carry weight with all political stripes. Now it’s Disney woke theme park Canada in image, with a far-left oppressive quasi-totalitarian coalition government that’s a de facto one party system.  The population has been trained to fear political opposition and the conservative voice.

I have to admit that I think Charles will have a hard time maintaining Commonwealth monarchies.  He’s not exemplary and will have to rise to the occasion.  However, our system was built through centuries of dialectic refinement and revision.  It has great value.  Again, either we maintain the Canadian constitutional monarchy or we cease to exist as a federal nation state because Confederation would come under massive pressure to devolve.  We’d end up with Balcanization.  Some jurisdictions might join the US.  Some might go it alone. Some might form some kind of loosely affiliated partnership.  Would it be worth tearing down what we have?  If our jurisdictions could join the US, would it be worth it?  Which US, the Red or Blue?  What about the violence and social tensions?  What about our cultural survival in the Melting Pot?  I do think the power and spending of our federal government must be more limited and our rights must be enhanced.  On paper, Americans have more rights, even if we are a de facto safer and more harmonious society, or have been.

The pandemic measures and particularly February 2022 have really made me question the value of our federal government.  

whatever

Elizabeth Windsor is dead

and so goes any fealty I had to the ridiculous  Canadian Post National Nanny Police State

again, just like any immigrant to Canada

I pay my taxes, I obey the laws, I keep to myself, I don't bother anybody

that's all that is required to live within this American protectorate tax jurisdiction

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

King Charles will catch heat for his climate change views.  He may be seen as too left.  However, his new role is supposed to be non-partisan.  We’ll see.

No he won't because only you butt stubborn deniers think Climate change and environmental issues are a partisan issue. You've staked your claim to that ignorance.

2 hours ago, RedDog said:

Canada is five or six nations pretending to be one.

Bullshit. Only Quebec and native territories have any claim to nationhood. Nobody else has a distinct ethnicity, culture or language.

To the Commonwealth countries 'celebrating' the death of a colonialist': QE2 was the one who presided over your de-colonization you effing half wits. Kicked Rhodesia out of the Commonwealth, supported ant-apartheid efforts in S Africa... duhh!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would actually propose

that we stop with the pretense that this is even Canada anymore

we should just call this what it is

American Protectorate Tax Jurisdiction North

no longer a Scots-Gernam Empire to find a Northwest Passage

the Vimy Myth is dead

Mother Canada has gone to see Her maker

Alpha to Omega

return whence you came, Lillobet

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Popular Now

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,698
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    IPEM Group of Institutions
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

    • Ethan Wylde earned a badge
      First Post
    • Yakuda went up a rank
      Experienced
    • QuebecOverCanada went up a rank
      Grand Master
    • Jeary went up a rank
      Rookie
    • Gator earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...