Jump to content

Canada Banning Certain Plastic Products by the End of the Year


Recommended Posts

I'm shocked there isn't more outrage about this by you lot. 

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/canada-s-single-use-plastic-ban-sales-of-bags-takeout-containers-cutlery-set-to-end-1.5955423#:~:text=As of December 2023%2C the,be prohibited at that time.

Quote

 

As of December 2023, the federal government will no longer allow the sale of plastic bags and takeout containers as part of a move towards a full ban on certain single-use plastics in Canada.

The sale of plastic cutlery and stir sticks will also be prohibited at that time. Plastic flexible straws are also included, although there will be exceptions for people with disabilities.

Companies will have to stop making and importing bags, food containers, cutlery, stir sticks, and straws by December of 2022.

 

I can't get too worked up about this one. Plastic waste is one of those things that everyone can see. 

Grocery Bags are a cheap source of Garbage bags, but actually buying garbage bags is not a huge inconvenience. I already have to buy those compostable bags for the green bin. 

In Canada, we're blessed with the infrastructure to "recycle". But unlike with glass, aluminum and paper products, the finances around recycling plastic is less appealing. It just so much cheaper to make new plastic. This is the type of thing Government needs to step in to assist with. It will actually save tax money in having to sort through all the plastic waste. 

It's mind boggling that a case of Bottled water goes for $3 and most grocery stores. That's something we should stop offering unless you live in a community with water safety issues. 

Edited by Boges
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with this completely. Plastic is the scourge of the oceans. There's little to nothing we can do to alter climate change, but this we can fix. Plastics are everywhere. Even in our food. Its gross and unnecessary.

Oh and...bottled water is an insult in Canada.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plastic can be recycled and is good for the petroleum industry, thus good for the economy. I will always use plastic for my household wastebaskets and dealing with a cat litter box.

I’m getting older and will ensure this summer I acquire sufficient retail plastic or Glad Kitchen Catchers to last my remaining lifetime.

Over 80% of plastic waste on the planet and in waterways is from THREE countries.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, RedDog said:

Plastic can be recycled and is good for the petroleum industry, thus good for the economy. I will always use plastic for my household wastebaskets and dealing with a cat litter box.

I’m getting older and will ensure this summer I acquire sufficient retail plastic or Glad Kitchen Catchers to last my remaining lifetime.

Over 80% of plastic waste on the planet and in waterways is from THREE countries.

When I would go to a grocery store I would not bring any cotton or other like material to put my groceries in. I would always use, or now today, I have to buy and pay 5 cents for one of their grocery plastic bags because they have been great for me to use to dump my household garbage in. I have been stocking up on those plastic bags for years now because I knew that one day those plastic grocery bags will soon be stopped and used altogether by grocery stores. Walmart now stops using plastic grocery bags. 

Indeed. China and India being the two countries that contribute plastic waste into the oceans and onto their garbage land  dumps. But ask those two countries if they really give a crap about plastic damage to the environment. It's always we the people in the west that have to always suffer and deal with plastic pollution because of what those two countries are doing to the planet.

Maybe if they stopped having so many dam children plastic pollution would not be a big problem all that much today. It is those two countries with the biggest populations whom are responsible for all of this plastic pollution with their baby making problems. Canadians are doing their fair share and as much as they can to fight plastic pollution but we do not need to have to suffer for it because of those third world countries. 😇

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, taxme said:

It is those two countries with the biggest populations whom are responsible for

Everything what is wrong with these species. We shouldn't do it because it's just wrong, does harm in long/medium or even short term. Nah, look Joe is doing it so why not me? Among a thousand humans it is guaranteed there will be one jerk and a few idiots. We are doomed.

Edited by myata
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, herbie said:

Why should I stop peeing in the pool? China won't stop peeing in the pool. I should be allowed to pee in the pool because they won't stop.

so stop using plastic bags then

you don't have any right to force others not to

if others want to use plastic bags, that's their prerogative

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's true that India and China are the biggest polluters by far. It's also true that India and China made their own messes. Yet too many people want to coddle them for the sake of cheap labour. 

Globalization protects these nations and in return the rest of the world is forced to put up with their insane levels of pollution. 

Turn off the outsourcing and watch them flounder. In a decade or so, they'll either self destruct or learn to control themselves. 

With all the talk of population control, this would reduce the seriousness of the issue and reduce the plastic problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Globalization protects these nations and in return the rest of the world is forced to put up with their insane levels of pollution. 

Exactly. You can do better; make your own economy clean and amazing without them. You would feel better; it would be better for the environment still, you aren't adding a more drops on a bucket of tar in the pond; and maybe you will discover something new and cool. Instead you want to drop to their level: we are better because we're pointing fingers but we insist on doing exactly like them because why would we do otherwise. If one in a thousand wouldn't do something obviously necessary it creates an instant excuse for the rest to do nothing. Good luck to us.

Edited by myata
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, myata said:

Exactly. You can do better; make your own economy clean and amazing without them. You would feel better; it would be better for the environment still, you aren't adding a more drops on a bucket of tar in the pond; and maybe you will discover something new and cool. Instead you want to drop to their level: we are better because we're pointing fingers but we insist on doing exactly like them because why would we do otherwise. If one in a thousand wouldn't do something obviously necessary it creates an instant excuse for the rest to do nothing. Good luck to us.

Not sure what to make of this but ya...I'm good with putting a short leash on plastics. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live out in the country and everywhere I see garbage in the ditches. Plastic bottles, beer cans, coffee cups and the list goes on.

The crazy thing about the environmentalists is that they give countries just like India and China get a free pass. They are not held to the same standards as we are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Up until recently, China imported all of the West's plastic. 

They have since refused to accept Plastic Imports so it's been sent to other South Asian countries, making the problem worse. 

Just because plastic is recyclable, doesn't mean it always get recycled. You have to have a robust collection program. 

Glass and Cardboard present a convenient alternative to a lot of the Single-Use plastic waste, that's much easier to recycle. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, ironstone said:

I live out in the country and everywhere I see garbage in the ditches. Plastic bottles, beer cans, coffee cups and the list goes on.

The crazy thing about the environmentalists is that they give countries just like India and China get a free pass. They are not held to the same standards as we are.

If you see all those things in ditches the that is not a problem of plastics, it is a problem of your ass hole neighbours that are throwing their garbage out the windows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

If you see all those things in ditches the that is not a problem of plastics, it is a problem of your ass hole neighbours that are throwing their garbage out the windows.

I would wager that it's primarily younger kids that are throwing garbage from their cars. Also I doubt my neighbors would throw out litter where they live.

Smokers are bad too, butts literally everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, ironstone said:

I would wager that it's primarily younger kids that are throwing garbage from their cars. Also I doubt my neighbors would throw out litter where they live.

Smokers are bad too, butts literally everywhere.

Regardless of who it is, you live in the country (you said) so it was probably your neighbours (or your neighbours kids).

Your garbage issue has noting to do with plastics

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Boges said:

In coastal areas plastic is an issue. 

Was making a point in discussion with someone else.

Your interjection is off that discussion

Having said that, for sure, plastic in the ocean is a problem. Far bigger than most people think. I am very aware of the plastic problem in oceans as I spent time in the ocean off Hawaii and in the Great Barrier Reef and have seen sea life in danger from it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Paper bags/cardboard  support the logging industry.  Plastic supports the oil/energy industry. No happy medium?

Yeah but Wood fibres are actually renewable and much easier to recycle. 

It's also far more compostable should it not be recycled. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2022 at 12:01 PM, RedDog said:

Plastic can be recycled and is good for the petroleum industry, thus good for the economy. I will always use plastic for my household wastebaskets and dealing with a cat litter box.

This is why the regulators should prevent companies making that stuff.    Otherwise guys like you, who can't see right from wrong, will continue using those and dispersing them in our ecosystems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Nationalist said:

It's true that India and China are the biggest polluters by far. It's also true that India and China made their own messes. Yet too many people want to coddle them for the sake of cheap labour. 

Globalization protects these nations and in return the rest of the world is forced to put up with their insane levels of pollution. 

Turn off the outsourcing and watch them flounder. In a decade or so, they'll either self destruct or learn to control themselves. 

With all the talk of population control, this would reduce the seriousness of the issue and reduce the plastic problem. 

The third world makes up approx. 92% of the worlds population. Therefore it makes sense to me that 92% of the plastic being thrown out and into garbage landfills or on the ground or in the ocean is happening in third world countries who are creating most of the plastic pollution.

I hardly have ever seen any plastic pollution anywhere that I have gone too either here in Canada or any western countries. I have been to some third world countries and all I saw was plenty of plastic lying around on their streets and waterways. This is all just more leftist liberal bullshit once again. 🙄

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

so stop using plastic bags then

you don't have any right to force others not to

if others want to use plastic bags, that's their prerogative

Holy fuck. Repeating ignorance doesn't make it smart. Dumb as a hammer.

Go march on Ottawa to protect your freedumbs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, herbie said:

Holy fuck. Repeating ignorance doesn't make it smart. Dumb as a hammer.

Go march on Ottawa to protect your freedumbs.

whatever control freak

if you want people to stop using plastic bags

make some bags they want more

not use the government to force them to use bags they want less

that's what a real environmentalist would do

clearly you're a fake who just wants to use the environment as justification for government power grabs

Edited by Yzermandius19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, taxme said:

I hardly have ever seen any plastic pollution anywhere that I have gone too either here in Canada or any western countries

You have to be kidding me !!!!

Plastics are everywhere you look.  I walked  a 10 km one way trail from Tow Hill to Cape Fife on Haida Gwaii and found a ton of plastics on a beach not reachable by anything but a boat!

You see plastics along every highway and in every river; they only get more, not less.

It may not be same volumes you see like in a developing country (for lack of a better word), but they are visible in Canada just about everywhere.

Edited by cougar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, taxme said:

The third world makes up approx. 92% of the worlds population. Therefore it makes sense to me that 92% of the plastic being thrown out and into garbage landfills or on the ground or in the ocean is happening in third world countries who are creating most of the plastic pollution.

I hardly have ever seen any plastic pollution anywhere that I have gone too either here in Canada or any western countries. I have been to some third world countries and all I saw was plenty of plastic lying around on their streets and waterways. This is all just more leftist liberal bullshit once again. 🙄

We produce plastic waste...don't fool yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...