Erin O'Toole out

8 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Erin O'Toole has been removed by a vote of the caucus. Who should replace him. I suspect anyone who could beat Prime Minister Trudeau wouldn't touch the CPC leadership with a 3.5 metre pole.

No one should replace him. Disband the CPC, they are the problem. I mean, obviously there's a lot of politics going on behind the scenes, eh?   ;)

We need a new party, one that is conservative but at the same time, progressive. Or is that like yer oxy-moron? It sounds like it, but it ain't.

You know what I'm getting at here. The CPC does not fit or fill the bill for modern Canadian conservatives, whether oxymoronic or not. They are too archaic. Bunch of old men with old and stupid ideas. Whoever's running that show must also be stupid. They soiled themselves when they so publicly voted down Climate change. Mr. O'toole should have politely stepped down right then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

You translated my post into that???  

You’re advocating for voting for style “less cringy”.  My question was, isn’t this something Conservatives criticized (rightly)?

To respond to your post, no, I don't think Conservatives are rational and vote for the ideas only, there are also Conservatives who vote for candidates based on charisma and personality. But it self evident isn't it?

6 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

To respond to your post, no, I don't think Conservatives are rational and vote for the ideas only, there are also Conservatives who vote for candidates based on charisma and personality. But it self evident isn't it?

Can you have a less cringy candidate win an election if the Conservative platform still denies climate change and doesn’t match mainstream Canadian values?

Polievre is the obvious choice if he runs: young, energetic, speaks good French, excellent at parliamentary debate and made-for-tv sound bites. The problem is the party. Unless something drastic happens, and that’s always possible these days, the Canadian political mainstream is a fair bit to the left of the caucus. Whoever wins the leadership can’t move too far from O’Toole’s positions on policy if they wish to be competitive in the next election. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

I think the the CPC should offer to merge with the PPC and make the following pitch to people who voted Liberal but don’t like restrictions: the CPC-PPC will restore liberal-democratic values and defend your Charter rights against government overreach.  Present  a more libertarian conservatism and drop the political correctness.  People are dying to hear down to earth, relatable politicians.  I actually think the Conservatives can be the workers’ party by focusing on cost of living, lower taxes for working people, and supporting essential workers.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

9 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think the the CPC should offer to merge with the PPC and make the following pitch to people who voted Liberal but don’t like restrictions: the CPC-PPC will restore liberal-democratic values and defend your Charter rights against government overreach.  Present  a more libertarian conservatism and drop the political correctness.  People are dying to hear down to earth, relatable politicians.  I actually think the Conservatives can be the workers’ party by focusing on cost of living, lower taxes for working people, and supporting essential workers.  

Do you think an anti-vax message would appeal to enough Canadians to win an election?

11 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Do you think an anti-vax message would appeal to enough Canadians to win an election?

Forget anti-vax.  It’s a matter of medical discretion. Should people be able to make decisions about their own healthcare without coercion?   It’s a Charter-protected right.  The Americans have always had valid criticism of socialized healthcare in this regard: If you can’t choose your doctor, make informed decisions about your own care (rather than let a committee/government tell you what you deserve), and access the best available treatments, your healthcare is second rate.  It’s why many Americans fear universal healthcare.  Ultimately our controlling approach to healthcare and our lack of ICU capacity makes us a less free country, because we’re compromising our Charter-protections to keep our healthcare system afloat. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

5 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Forget anti-vax.  It’s a matter of medical discretion. Should people be able to make decisions about their own healthcare without coercion?   It’s a Charter-protected right.  The Americans have always had valid criticism of socialized healthcare in this regard: If you can’t choose your doctor, make informed decisions about your own care (rather than let a committee/government tell you what you deserve), and access the best available treatments, your healthcare is second rate.  It’s why many Americans fear universal healthcare.  Ultimately our controlling approach to healthcare and our lack of ICU capacity makes us a less free country, because we’re compromising our Charter-protections to keep our healthcare system afloat. 

Who has been forced to get a vaccination?  

4 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Who has been forced to get a vaccination?  

That’s ridiculous.  People who don’t get vaccinated can and do lose their jobs.  They can’t travel on trains or planes or eat in a restaurant.  A coerced decision isn’t a free decision.  That’s basic.  It’s why confessions that come through torture are inadmissible in court.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

5 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

People who don’t get vaccinated can and do lose their jobs.  They can’t travel on trains or planes or eat in a restaurant.

You were under the impression that a pandemic was business as usual and should not affect anyone?  Sounds like a matter of education.

• Haha 1

Just now, TreeBeard said:

You were under the impression that a pandemic was business as usual and should not affect anyone?  Sounds like a matter of education.

No you’re a public health puritan no different from the kinds of despotic puritans we’ve seen throughout history: Spanish Inquisition, Bloody Mary, Salem Witch Trials, Bolshevik Revolution, McCarthyism, Maoism…

A certain amount of death is part of life.  You can’t make everyone perfectly safe, and the cost of trying to achieve that is too high.  When you compromise basic freedoms to meet a goal of purity, you’ve already compromised the outcome.  The eggs you are cracking to “end the pandemic” are the rights and freedoms that make Canada a free and strong country.  Covid is here to stay.  Drop the totalitarian Puritanism.  We need to learn to live with Covid as we live with the flu.  Don’t desecrate our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  

7 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

You don’t think death should be minimized?  Do you wear a seatbelt?

False equivalence.  No offence but these are old weak arguments that have already been debated.  You don’t appreciate how far-reaching mandates and restrictions are.  You can’t enjoy many basic freedoms right now even if you’re vaccinated.  The unvaccinated are treated like second class pariahs.  You are living under digital totalitarianism.  You haven’t absorbed the extent of the loss of freedoms.  It’s not worth it.  To fight Covid?  We’re one of the most vaccinated countries.  Our government oppresses its citizens.  I’m disgusted by my own country right now.

Edited by Zeitgeist