The push is on of the Omicron or Omnicon virus.

taxme

1 hour ago, Faramir said:

World meter.  Canada is 803 deaths per SMile.  Flordia is 2916.  Again population density is 10 for Canada and 405 for Florida.  And Americans are less healthy.  Still, I concede population density is not everything.  Japan and South Korea have fared really well.  We just don't know all the factors that go into these death rates/

One of the factors is that South Koreans and Japanese populations especially, take their experts more seriously are less distrustful of their governments and are less susceptible to conspiracy theories and fake news.  It was clear early on in this pandemic that the US wouldn't stand a chance against COVID compared to other countries.  

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

Johns Hopkins, Worldometer

Deaths per million population

Florida, 2916

Canada, 802

Now measure destroying children’s development, education, and measure the mental health costs in depression, anxiety, suicide and drug overdoses society wide.  Also measure the destruction of people’s businesses and livelihoods.  It’s not all about trying to prevent people in their 70s and 80s from dying.

How can you say something, in public, that is obviously, patently not true, obviously does not agree with the reality and not be called on it? Travel from Wuhan, not a problem. 90% vaccinated population + lockdown, vaccination is the only way out. Are we already past the point of no return? How can we return to common sense, responsibility and accountability, can we?

42 minutes ago, myata said:

Are we already past the point of no return? How can we return to common sense, responsibility and accountability, can we?

Return?  Who says we were ever in this mythical place or state to start with?  Take Shady's list of social ills posted just above for example. All these things happened and existed before COVID and still will after.  COVID has simply made these deficiencies more obvious by exacerbating them.  The best we can hope for so the pain of these ills recedes in the future is to retain and hang onto the recognition they've received in the present.  1st things first though I guess. 

5 hours ago, Aristides said:

It's winter in Canada, people are indoors. Everyone is outdoors during winter in Florida. 

Florida's deaths per million population is 3.6 times Canada.

Florida has more than half of our population and only 1/58th our land mass. That makes it over 29x as crowded. The fact that they have a higher death rate isn't surprising.

Canada isn't doing well at all re: covid. We are 39th in the world in population, 189th in pop density, and 23rd in deaths. Japan has more than 3x our population, 85x our pop density, and just over half the number of deaths that we have. 

1 minute ago, WestCanMan said:

Florida has more than half of our population and only 1/58th our land mass. That makes it over 29x as crowded. The fact that they have a higher death rate isn't surprising.

Canada isn't doing well at all re: covid. We are 39th in the world in population, 189th in pop density, and 23rd in deaths. Japan has more than 3x our population, 85x our pop density, and just over half the number of deaths that we have. 

I already addressed that. Most Canadians live in cities. 80% of the country is lightly or almost uninhabited. 

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Return?  Who says we were ever in this mythical place or state to start with?  Take Shady's list of social ills posted just above for example. All these things happened and existed before COVID and still will after.  COVID has simply made these deficiencies more obvious by exacerbating them.  The best we can hope for so the pain of these ills recedes in the future is to retain and hang onto the recognition they've received in the present.  1st things first though I guess. 

What makes anyone think there will be a return. There was no return to what was the normal before 9/11.  The only constant in life is change.

1 minute ago, Aristides said:

I already addressed that. Most Canadians live in cities. 80% of the country is lightly or almost uninhabited. 

That's still a totally bullshit comment. Here's a pop density map. Compare Florida with Canada. Even with Southern Ontario. It's like comparing Saskatoons to oranges.  

9 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

I confirms exactly what I said. Most of Canada's population is concentrated around Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver with the rest pretty much concentrated in Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg.

There is next to no one north of Edmonton or Sudbury and that is more than half the country.

You are comparing the Florida Keys with Baffin Island

Edited by Aristides

10 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I'm in my 70s and resent that.  Thanks for your concern.  The more you people talk, the deeper you dig yourselves in the bull.

You should get vaccinated then if you’re concerned.  Stop asking other people to destroy their lives, especially children to make you feel safe.  It’s as selfish as it gets.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Aristides said:

What makes anyone think there will be a return. There was no return to what was the normal before 9/11.  The only constant in life is change.

I guess some people prefer to look at the world as it recedes in the rear view mirror. 

32 minutes ago, Aristides said:

I confirms exactly what I said. Most of Canada's population is concentrated around Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver with the rest pretty much concentrated in Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg.

There is next to no one north of Edmonton or Sudbury and that is more than half the country.

It proves that your comment is total bullshit. Canada's population is nothing like Florida's.

People in Flin Flon (6K) are 8 hrs away from Winnipeg (778K). That's still only halfway across the province of MB.

People in Calgary (1.4M) are 7 hrs away from Fort Mac (111K). That's still only halfway across the province of AB.

People in Vancouver (2.4M) are 9 hrs away from Prince George (74K). That's still only halfway across the province of BC.

People in Miami (6.1M) are only 5 hrs from Jacksonville (1.6M), and that's the entire north-south distance of Fla. That's 8M in those two cities, which would make them the second most populated province in Canada, and almost the entire population of Florida lives between those two cities. 13M more people. 

A single person with covid could go on a day trip in their economy car and infect every city in Florida. It wouldn't be hard at all. 

The populations of all the Canadian cities that I mentioned, combined, is less than the population of Miami, and there are 3 of Canada's 7 largest cities there.

You have absolutely no comprehension whatsoever of the magnitude of the difference. I feel like I'm talking to a child. 

Edited by WestCanMan

Just now, WestCanMan said:

It proves that your comment is total bullshit. Canada's population is nothing like Florida's.

People in Flin Flon (6K) are 8 hrs away from Winnipeg (778K). That's still only halfway across the province of MB.

People in Calgary (1.4M) are 7 hrs away from Fort Mac (111K).

People in Vancouver (2.4M) are 9 hrs away from Prince George (74K).

People in Miami (6.1M) are only 5 hrs from Jacksonville (1.6M). That's 8M in those two cities, which would make them the second most populated province in Canada, but almost the entire population of Florida lives between those two cities, because one is at the southern tip of Florida, the other is at the north.

A single person would covid could go on a day trip in their economy car and infect every city in Florida. It wouldn't be hard at all. 

The populations of all the Canadian cities that I mentioned, combined, is less than the population of Miami, and there are 3 of Canada's 7 largest cities there.

You have absolutely no comprehension whatsoever of the magnitude of the difference. I feel like I'm talking to a child. 

Most of our population is concentrated in and around a few cities. Your map  clearly shows that. 

Yes

Calgary's population is 13 times that of Ft. Mac, as is Edmonton's

Vancouver's population is 50 times that of Prince George

Thanks for confirming exactly what I said.

1 minute ago, Aristides said:

Most of our population is concentrated in and around a few cities. Your map  clearly shows that. 

Yes

Calgary's population is 13 times that of Ft. Mac, as is Edmonton's

Vancouver's population is 50 times that of Prince George

Thanks for confirming exactly what I said.

And the population of Miami is bigger than the population of all those cities combined, plus the other cities that I mentioned. 

Miami metro area has more people than Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey, Burnaby, Victoria, Langley, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Chilliwack, Kamloops, Kelowna, Prince George, Vernon, Abbotsford, Nanaimo and every other town, village, hamlet, and cabin in the woods in every square inch of BC. They have all that many people, plus one million more.

What I wrote proves what you said..... is just as stupid as everything else that you say. 

32 minutes ago, Shady said:

You should get vaccinated then if you’re concerned.  Stop asking other people to destroy their lives, especially children to make you feel safe.  It’s as selfish as it gets.

I am fully vaccinated with a booster.  It's you that made the selfish comment that it's not about trying to prevent people in their 70s or 80s from dying.  What make you so special that your life is worth more than people in their 70s or 80s?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

They say that you really shouldn't go to the test unless you really believe you've got the virus.

That's because on one hand we should avoid congesting the system from unnecessary testing, it is crowded enough already, but on the other hand there are those other people there many of whom really got the virus so in the worst case you didn't have the virus when you went to the test but you've got it when get get back from the test. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I am fully vaccinated with a booster.  It's you that made the selfish comment that it's not about trying to prevent people in their 70s or 80s from dying.  What make you so special that your life is worth more than people in their 70s or 80s?

My life isn’t worth anymore than somebody else’s.  But I’m not asking anyone to destroy their lives so that I can feel safer.  The average age of a covid death in Ontario is 83.  That’s older than life expectancy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Actually the metro populations of Miami and Toronto are about the same 6.1 million.

Actually the population of Ontario plus the population of Quebec is about the same as Florida. 

It's over 11 hrs from Windsor to QCity. Less than 5 from Miami to Jacksonville. 

8 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Actually the population of Ontario plus the population of Quebec is about the same as Florida. 

It's over 11 hrs from Windsor to QCity. Less than 5 from Miami to Jacksonville. 

Most of the population between Windsor and Q City is centred around Toronto and Montreal. You knew that, or did you?

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

Most of the population between Windsor and Q City is centred around Toronto and Montreal. You knew that, or did you?

And yet still spread out over more than twice the area of the Florida's population, and you're comparing Florida to all of Canada. Do you get it now? 

7 minutes ago, Aristides said:

No, you are comparing Florida to Canada. I'm not the one who keeps bringing up Florida.

Hmmmm

10 hours ago,  Aristides said: 

It's winter in Canada, people are indoors. Everyone is outdoors during winter in Florida. 

Florida's deaths per million population is 3.6 times Canada.

What's this?