Will it be the virus that takes Trump down?

1 minute ago, Boges said:

I think for both Canada and the US, any "bailout" of corporations or employers should be geared towards keeping their staff employed. So they don't add to the already overwhelmed EI claims both nations are experiencing. A No-Questions-Asked cash injection to a corporation does nothing to help the economy if they're still going to layoff staff if revenues crash. 

Bail out? Here you go again with the notion that employees of companies are not the company itself and are some separate entity. 

Anyway, back to the OP.

No, the virus won't take Trump down.

Most Americans approve of Trump's handling of the Coronavirus. Trump's approval rating is rising and at a record high. Trump's favorability rating is rising and near a record high.

Trump has never been more popular. Coronavirus is helping him, not hurting him. His haters not being able to understand how that is possible doesn't change reality.

Edited by Yzermandius19

10 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Anyway, back to the OP.

Most Americans approve of Trump's handling of the Coronavirus. Trump's approval rating is rising and at a record high. Trump's favorability rating is rising and near a record high.

Trump has never been more popular. Coronavirus is helping him, not hurting him. His haters not being able to understand how that is possible doesn't change reality.

Yeah wait until he tells people to go outside before they should and millions die. :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, Boges said:

Yeah wait until he tells people to go outside before they should and millions die. :rolleyes:

Trump is doomed now, says Boges for the millionth time. No matter how many times you're wrong, you'll keep predicting his doom, absolutely sure that this time you are right, like an insane person.

You'll simply never admit that most Americans have very different views of Trump than you do, or if you will admit to that, you will still refuse to come to realization that enough of them aren't going to change their minds and start agreeing with you, that it will doom him.

You have to hold onto the "Trump is doomed!" delusion, no matter what. Cognitive dissonance is a helluva drug.

Edited by Yzermandius19

33 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Anyway, back to the OP.

Trump is doing well in the polls with this currently. if you go back and read some of the good posts at the very beginning of this thread there was a bunch of good back and forth about how well this could turn out for him if he handled it properly. i'd suggest his floundering on not keeping a strict war footing (like most state governors) is precarious. he seems enthralled by the state of the economy and that if the economy isn't spectacular then his political fortunes are sunk. he needs to give that up. history has provided that "war presidents" do well irrespective of the economy.

as also identified, this is a perfect situation for him to further solidify control of power. given how directly he has approached this in the past he is not seizing the opportunity. here nor there as long as he thinks he has the political capital to continue.

24 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Trump is doomed now, says Boges for the millionth time. No matter how many times you're wrong, you'll keep predicting his doom, absolutely sure that this time you are right, like an insane person.

You'll simply never admit that most Americans have very different views of Trump than you do, or if you will admit to that, you will still refuse to come to realization that enough of them aren't going to change their minds and start agreeing with you, that it will doom him.

You have to hold onto the "Trump is doomed!" delusion, no matter what. Cognitive dissonance is a helluva drug.

Most? He has never cracked 50% approval. He won based on narrow wins in 3 states. 

Trump supporters "hope" that Dems will stay home like they did in 2016 due to apathy for Hillary. That's the wishful thinking. 

Also, optimistic polling happened before his asinine and reckless Easter comments. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boges said:

Most? He has never cracked 50% approval. He won based on narrow wins in 3 states. 

Trump supporters "hope" that Dems will stay home like they did in 2016 due to apathy for Hillary. That's the wishful thinking. 

Also, optimistic polling happened before his asinine and reckless Easter comments. 

Many of those who disapprove of him still don't view him the way you do, and all of those who approve certainly don't. I would suggest the same is true of his easter comments, but again you want to believe that most Americans see Trump the way you do, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 hours ago, Rue said:

No you are in fact not at the begnning you assume that but you do not have all the unreported cases to be able to say tthat.

Next ff course the curve goes straight up how else would it go...with due respect can you please find out how viruses replicate and are transmitted and understand they all do this and that movement by itself whether you "flatten" it or allow it to more quickly rise, still goes up to the same level and in the same direction. Speed of that rise is not necessarily what makes it lethal either that is a subjective speculation based on an assumption it kills at rates based on only reported cases.

It also comes down the same way, when people grow immune to the disease and if you delay them growing immune to the disease it can ot come down try grasp that reality.

What people are talking about is you do not understand that the fact something goes straight up does not mean everyone dies or will die but f you do not allow it to go up to where it belongs it can't go down to where we want it to.

In any virus there is a peak. You seem to think this is something unique and are alarmed at the concept of viruses peaking.

You are taking a pattern and snap shotting it going up not understanding your data to start with is not even accurate as it does not include the thousands of unreported cases that already added to it and saw recovery. For all you know the straight up is far straighter up than you see and is now coming down but because the cases were never reported you can't see it on your graph.

That is why people like me say its fear-mongering. You panic over it gong straight up and prefer it rising slowly to make you feel more safe.

what are you even talking about? what a bunch of pseudo medical science arm chair stuff, Rue. come on.

look, i get your position. everyones going to get it so... let it go. if you don't agree that we should be attempting to flatten the curve to ensure that the medical system stays intact and that everyone gets the attention they need then thats fine. they can do this in Taiwan and Japan but maybe not here. and current shutdowns are simply trying to blunt the first wave and attempt to exhibit more control on infection rates.

Is Taiwan's impressive response to COVID-19 possible in Canada?

but i might add that its most interesting the amount of "fear monger" discussion going around and how its directed at "media" or "politicians" or whoever but never at the medical community! they're the ones on tv everyday warning that the medical system will shortly be overrun.

i'm not worried as i'm not old enough to be seriously at risk. but i don't want to have our medical system inaccessible for the next year either. or having our economy shut down indefinitely because we can't get people to not take it seriously. like i said, i have family in Japan and its business as usual over there aside from a lot more masks in public. the economy hasn't taken any kind of a hit. we can do the same here but my understanding is that we need to blunt any kind of wave. and the wave is the drastic upwards trend being seen by the medical community. those are the charts with the rockets going straight up!

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. " most Americans have very different views of Trump than you do " 
2. 44% < 50%
Therefore...
3. You are incorrect.

Most Americans have very different views of Trump than I do, it's true. The difference is, I don't project my views on American voters like Boges does, which is a big reason my analysis is so superior. The rest of your post is nonsense.

Edited by Yzermandius19

On 3/7/2020 at 9:19 PM, godzilla said:

seriously, with all of Trumps failings.... it appears that his man/baby fear that anything that goes wrong in the US is some kind of blemish on his reputation may be the most offensive to even his supporters. nobody is about to blame Trump for the Coronovirus. its not his fault that its happening. but it would appear that his ultra thin skin and fragile ego can't allow him to even comprehend or mentally accept that the US is on the verge of an un-contained epidemic that will kill hundreds of thousands. all he can comprehend is his usual tactic of telling people "there is no problem" or making it some kind of liberal conspiracy. except that it doesn't work in this situation. and his delay to even consider the issue because "its just the flu" is about to cost thousands of lives.

Trump calls Inslee a 'snake' over criticism of coronavirus rhetoric

Trump rallies his base to treat coronavirus as a ‘hoax’

1 hour ago, Boges said:

Most? He has never cracked 50% approval. 

Trump's  approval rating is up to 52% over his handling of the coronavirus.  That's the CNN....it's probably higher than that. 

So, there.

Edited by betsy

3 minutes ago, betsy said:

That's Boges' wishful thinking.  He thinks it's a fact. :lol:

He really can't distinguish between the two, he thinks reality caters to his wants and desires. A comical cocktail of confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance that leads to endless circular reasoning and goal post moving.

Edited by Yzermandius19

On 3/26/2020 at 12:17 PM, godzilla said:

i'm proposing that this puts him in a weak position going into the election cycle. it was either all in or not.

Bad timing. I hear his approval is at an all-time high. Presidents often get an up-tick in national emergencies, and this sure as hell is one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, godzilla said:

what are you even talking about? what a bunch of pseudo medical science arm chair stuff, Rue. come on.

look, i get your position. everyones going to get it so... let it go. if you don't agree that we should be attempting to flatten the curve to ensure that the medical system stays intact and that everyone gets the attention they need then thats fine. they can do this in Taiwan and Japan but maybe not here. and current shutdowns are simply trying to blunt the first wave and attempt to exhibit more control on infection rates.

Is Taiwan's impressive response to COVID-19 possible in Canada?

but i might add that its most interesting the amount of "fear monger" discussion going around and how its directed at "media" or "politicians" or whoever but never at the medical community! they're the ones on tv everyday warning that the medical system will shortly be overrun.

i'm not worried as i'm not old enough to be seriously at risk. but i don't want to have our medical system inaccessible for the next year either. or having our economy shut down indefinitely because we can't get people to not take it seriously. like i said, i have family in Japan and its business as usual over there aside from a lot more masks in public. the economy hasn't taken any kind of a hit. we can do the same here but my understanding is that we need to blunt any kind of wave. and the wave is the drastic upwards trend being seen by the medical community. those are the charts with the rockets going straight up!

Fear mongering are the assumptions you and Boges and many others are making about death rates. I have not mentioned one pseudo medical cience concept. Provide it.

In fact you are assuming patterns of potential death based on incorrect assumptions you project from not understanding what you think you are extrapolating. That is not a medical issue at all and that is what I challenge.

You also can not grasp the difference between flattening and eradicating and mixing the two.

You also misrepresent my positions. I have argued since my first response, delaying transmission is not a solution, it simply buys time until one is made.

You also need to instead of misrepresenting my positions go find out what they are doing in South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore

Edited by Rue

In the Rifle Company, you have dozens of guys around you all the time, so there is a sense of security.  

It's a false sense of security, because the bigger your formation the bigger the target you are

In this situation, you have to operate like the Recce Platoon

Small teams, behind enemy lines, no back up

Self motivating, self disciplined, self controlled

Elite infantry soldiers, comfortable with uncertainly, prepared to operate in the field indefinitely as necessary 

We own the night

Ducimus